Project The fifth annual (Not so) Secret Santa

Status
Not open for further replies.

PTF

girl
is a Tiering Contributor
The requests are out, let the teams start rolling through and celebrate together the new year! The deadline is the 31st of January, good luck <3

edit: I was reminded that last year we had some users who did not receive teams because some did not follow the deadline / post at all. Users who fail to comply with the deadline and / or post a team without a valid reason will be precluded from participating in the next years Secret Santa. I know this is harsh but it is to ensure fairness for all players and make this a joyful experience.

Last edited:

zS

this is all a moo point
is a Top Tiering Contributor
NUPL Champion
Helloo,
Akir I was designed as your secret santa and your request was pretty simple, volt-turn but in as many gens as you want. Since I think i'm knowledgeable enough in SS SM and DPP, I first decided to make a team or two of each. However, DPP was a real pain to build volt-turn in because teambuilding requires a lot of boxes to check and volt-turn with only 1 pivoting move felt undoable to me so i'm sorry about that. To replace the DPP team, I decided to make 3 SS ones. I hope you'll enjoy them and i'll let you the teams. Happy New Year and Merry Christmas!!
:scyther::heliolisk::palossand::silvally::clawitzer::passimian:: This team is really straightforward, volt-turn + scyther and clawitzer to break while pivoting and passimian to clean. the defensive core is really classic but works really well paired with Heliolisk and Scyther given the utility they provide. I decided to go with av claw because i didn't find anything that fitted well in this team and it worked well in tests this far, but i'm not too sure on this slot so feel free to change it.
:rotom::passimian::ribombee::lanturn::regirock::silvally:: np wow rotom is something i really really wanted to try out myself in a volt-turn team and the fact that you requested that really made me move my but to make it finally, and i'm pleased with how it went. before you ask me, the lanturn spread was made in order to ohko -1 omastar after rocks so I could improve my matchup against it after getting swept, speed reaches 200 and spd makes you leave +2 earth power after rocks and leftovers recovery if you come in on a shell smash. rest was invested in def cuz i don't think i needed more than 404 in hp, which is what 52 hp reaches. Bee spread was made in order to outspeed base 65 scarfers and at the same time leave rock slide from scarf passimian at full.
:vikavolt::passimian::gigalith::vaporeon::talonflame::garbodor:: last but no least, i thought it was mandatory to at least make a team with volt-turn + spikes and psychic garbodor was the best canditate because it's a good rose check + a potent spiker and has access to psychic so it also checks toxicroak. Well it can get overwhelmed pretty fast tho so pairing it with a cleric felt like a must, so i went with vaporeon. The team is kinda slow for my standards, but it works so I felt like I should share it with you since it matches your request :).
:ferroseed::silvally::kangaskhan::eelektross::swanna::persian-alola:: As for the sm team, I didn't build in sm since last pupl so I hope this team doesn't have too much flaws '-'. I tried something with ghostvally + spikes and eele + persian as the volt-turn core, although ghostvally also packs u-turn. Really fast team that has a great matchup vs offense in general although the raichu matchup seems really hard, but not undoable. S/o Squash17 for being getting squashed 17 times by this team (and for the help)

I hope all my teams meet your requirements, I've been working on them for 3 hours and I tested the 3 SS teams quite a bit although it might not be obvious given how fast i posted all 4 of them. I hope you'll enjoy them, zS out!

Last edited:

Squash

UTA Overlord
Hey everyone,
I got paired with tlenit and the core I had to build on was :Turtonator: +:mesprit: with pretty cool and interesting sets:

:Turtonator: @ :Eject-Pack:
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Shell Smash
- Body Press
- Fire Blast

:Mesprit: @ :White-Herb:
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Copycat
- Stored Power
- Draining Kiss
- Thunderbolt

You all get the concept, so let's have a look at the team. (click on the sprites for importable)
:mesprit::Turtonator::lycanroc::ribombee::virizion::silvally-ghost:

:Lycanroc: acts as a suicide, its role in self-explanatory: set-up rocks while preventing opponents to get their hazards up. :Ribombee: is setting up screens to help out our core to get more occasions to set up. :Virizion: helds a :Coba-Berry: to lure :Talonflame: while also beating mesprit's checks, :silvally-steel: (steel) and :Sandslash-Alola:. :Silvally-Ghost: (ghost) was the last addition to this team, and I added it because I thought it needed a spin blocker Sweeper to make sure rocks are staying up during the game. However, i hope you'll enjoy using the team as I enjoyed building it, and I wish you a Happy new year and to succeed in everything you attempt :heart:!

Leni

formerly tlenit
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
RUPL Champion
Meri Berry got something little for ya!

Your request was CoilConda+Spikes;
(click sprites to open up teams)

Team 1: :sandaconda: :froslass: :druddigon: :silvally-steel: :hitmontop: :garbodor:
Pretty simple team thats been functioning well together. I would probably recommend to use scarf roderade in the last slot, but I had lot of fun with garbodor. Rose would help team to not be that physical heavy + muscle through vaporeon/jelli easier. Otherwise it will be a bit of a pain. Team structure is very simple and straight forward to chip everything down through hazards+double prio from drudd and hitmontop. I like personally druddigon more with rockyhelmet+rough skin. This way you end up having very easy time to killing rapid spinners and keeping hazards up. In current paste druddigon is mold breaker to force rocks vs Xatu.

Team 2: :sandaconda: :omastar: :tsareena: :magneton: :weezing: :talonflame:
Got actually distracted by customer while making this and theres only toxic spikes, but it played out surprisingly well. In this team i wanted to create strong end-game scenario for sandaconda to clean whenever its needed. This offense team basically focuses on getting weezing+omastar in to click buttons with triple pivot. On magneton you can go for steel beam over toxic if you want a strong suicide move to get omastar free in and trade opponents HP more than usually.

Team 3: :sandaconda: :golbat: :vaporeon: :cofagrigus: :tsareena: :togedemaru:
before i go further, in this squad sandaconda can be replaced with rhydon w. rocks. The squad plays well together without that change as well, but after testing i feel like physical def sanda does the job better (paste has still spdef tho). Idea is pretty simple for stall; double set up+toxic to wear opponent down. Double removal keeps hazards off pretty almost against every set upper and allows you to take benefit of leftovers. Tsareena can be boots, if u want to have better tspike MU. Not too much to go through here. Nice showcase for Golbat as well. Pretty good mon in this meta tbh. Another option for Conda is having glare+rocks to cripple opponent and take the benefit out of knock tsareena and get the progress rolling

Team 4: :sandaconda: :mawile: :rotom-frost: :passimian: :jellicent: :bouffalant:

The unmon squad, wanted to try out if some forgotten mons could put in work and well.... did something. Not too fancy team, but worked out somewhat.

Final Team 5: :sandaconda: :roserade::mesprit: :persian-alola: :lanturn: :braviary:

probs the funniest team of all around "super set up" w. WP-Scale shot Conda & hazard support. Braviary pressures defog users and keeps hazards in. After parting shotting with persian sandaconda can start set upping pretty free and do its thing. Very straight forward offense team and ngl, i like it a lot.

Anyways, have fun with them. At least I had fun messing around with Sandaconda and got me trying things out with it. The meta kinda sucks for it, but theres still room for it.

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/d8e488acef0e9967

One Noctowl team for jcbc! Webs from Galvantula to help patch up Noctowls speed, a little defensive core of Regirock/Vaporeon/Charizard to soften up the opposing team. Passimian to revenge kill and generally add an offensive presence to the team and Nasty Plot Noctowl to clean up. Nasty Plot Tinted Lens Life Orb Hurricane hits really hard and can easily finish off softened teams.

Weather teams can mess this team up a bit and you really need to keep webs up for them.

Oathkeepre, I got your team right here!

Secret Santa

Anyway, I hope this team is good enough, I’m not very good at building teams. Request was LO Virizion. Thankfully, this request was pretty easy to build around as I too am an avid LO Viriz user as well. Regirock + Golbat + Lanturn is a very solid defensive core in this meta, being able to wall nearly everything in this meta at for at least neutral damage. Originally I used Weezing, but I switched to Bat as I appreciate its ability to OHKO Viriz and Rose with an unboosted BB. The Speed EVs are used to outspeed unboosted Fairyvally and Steelvally. Braviary is self explanatory, a mon who’s able to force a lot of switches pairs surprisingly well with Defog. And I chose scarf Mesprit purely for having a scarfer on my team and to have an Archeops check. The surprise factor in using it is also a nice boon, after all no one expects offensive mes nowadays.

Edit: Somehow I forgot about adding Sturdy on Regirock. Do that and you’ll be good to go.

Last edited:

gum

for the better
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
hiiiiiii ambipom unviable, here's ur team with ur grassy terrain spam!!!

9DD5C612-64AD-4186-9C2E-A0C783FD0D3D.png
FC01BCE4-AD75-44EA-868A-972BCEC17004.png
2D3CB68C-44D2-4073-8E7E-D5DF8AA9D38F.png
9CFEBF75-E076-4028-9792-7A0D975A0E6D.png
BC43C8D9-70C3-4313-BD56-39A19EF31412.png
8F21276B-0D8A-4F9F-832B-78AE54B84F7E.png
(imagine sneasel has an updated sprite, ty)
https://pokepast.es/e180d273e05ef67f
so the team started with the core you requested, thwackey + trevenant. i considered multiple sets but eventually settled on sd eviolite on thwackey and band on trevenant. at first i was actually pretty unsure on how to tackle this, the core seemed rather hard to support due to both mons having almost no defensive utility. i first considered a full ho team with grassy terrain abusers like hitmonlee and driblim but then i decided i was gonna try to make balance work. mesprit's the rocker and acts as a fighting resist, and it can also healing wish stuff which is nice. steelvally is kinda needed here because otherwise the team gets 6-0ed by roserade, and jellicent's the secondary fighting resist and gives the team a semi-decent fire resist. the spread allows you to outspeed max speed alolan eggy and always 2hko with hex, as otherwise it can be a bit annoying. lastly, sneasel's another wincon and actually works pretty well with the grass duo weakening down steels / taking on bulky waters.

https://pokepast.es/d7fe54b18d4f015e - here's another version with weezing > jelli. double status is nice but you also have 0 fire-type counterplay with this

https://pokepast.es/4bc98c2a4b054d2b - and here's another version with an actual fire resist over mesprit. i personally like healing wish too much, but yeah i still wanted to share these two versions in case you liked them more

here's the only replay i bothered saving, i might edit this with more later
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8pu-1261439766-u5oerbpcgciri16srze9utwofbknu2opw

hope u like the team, and if ever u have any questions regarding the team lmk!!

Sixes_ you requested a team with the core perish trap lapras + stockpile guzzlord and here's my honest attempt at trying to make a team:

:lapras: :guzzlord: :palossand: :talonflame: :lanturn: :passimian:

I'm not very good at making gimmicky teams, and this request is quite hard because I don't ever remember to see stockpile being used competitively, and perish trap can be very inconsistent when your opponent knows what is coming but that's what I was able to do. Lapras has enough speed to creep vaporeon and what might try to creep vaporeon, I went with heavy duty boots + rest > leftovers + protect because it feels a bit more consistent after a few tests. You could use whirlpool > block if you really feel like *trying* to remove ghosts is useful, but guzzlord is already a roadblock for most of what you will find. As for stockpile guzzlord, I had no idea of what I could do, besides perhaps sitting there and spread toxic? I decided to go with stockpile + body press (with that sky-high base 53 defense even at max you are not dealing a lot of damage) with dark pulse for ghost types, and even with 25 ivs and no investment you can still 2hko ghostvally while you keep defense as your highest stat for beast boost. You could run toxic > dark pulse and/or ditch the speed and just put in SpD, but do as you wish (try to never find Haunter and Xatu if you toxic) beware that having two rest mons without sleep talk is very exploitable though,

As for the team, lapras and guzzlord have together a great weakness to fighting types and for that, I decided to go with palossand + talonflame since they can check / revenge kill this dangerous stuff while providing rocks + removal. You could go with will-o-wisp/toxic > u-turn on talonflame to help to spread status to support guzzlord if you desire to. Talonflame is also useful for speed control since the first 3 mons are incredibly slow. To finish this, I picked lanturn for a better fire/ice type check and overall decent special sponge (ig you could go with the bulky pivot set so you can check braviary better, but I like AV lanturn power and coverage) and scarf passimain for speed control and as a bonus, it can potentially lure in aromatisse and you hopefully will be able to trap it? That's wishful thinking.

There are big problems like playing against virizion, roserade, alolan exeggutor and abomasnow is a pain, so here's an alternative version with silvally-steel if you want to mitigate the problem with this stuff a bit (besides virizion): https://pokepast.es/ebfb0b0923c1cc35 (be very careful against water/rock mons)

Hope you like it!

Hera

Cute and genuine as ever
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
People out here posting multiple teams with 1v1-style spreads...makes me feel kinda bad for just building one team.

Anyway, I got Greybaum and was told to build with a most unorthodox set: Sub Work Up Vaporeon. To be honest, I had forgotten that the Eeveelutions had even gotten Work Up since I was so used to Choice or Boots offensive sets, but I had been tinkering with Specs Vaporeon recently so it wasn't that hard to use.

:ss/galvantula: :ss/vaporeon: :ss/passimian: :ss/haunter: :ss/silvally-fairy: :ss/magmortar:

What I got was this team. First thing I realized when building with the Vaporeon is that it lost to Jellicent, was outspeed a lot, and forced out Talonflame. Immediately, I realized Galvantula covered and took advantage of all of these points, thus turning a standard build into a webs team. Boots is so opposing Webs teams don't go completely ham on you if they also get Webs up. Passimian is standard Defog deterrent with standard moveset so I won't go into that. Haunter is very unique and interesting for a spinblocker. SubDisable is a set I like to use down in ZU and it's quite fun, takes advantage of the fact most spinners only have one move to break Haunter's Sub (Claydol has Psychic, Sandslash has Koff, Hitmontop has...I'm not actually sure what Spin sets run because I've never faced one), so it fires off strong STAB moves, and despite being frail, it can switch into quite a bit thanks to 3 immunities. Silvally-Fairy benefits from Vaporeon disposing of Ground- and Rock-types so it can sweep, so I put it on there. Final spot was Magmortar because I realized the team lacked special breakers, so I put on Specs Mag to blast through teams. It's a pretty fun team, but struggles against weather and fast Boots users like Ribombee and opposing Galvantula, so watch out for that.

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Merry belated Christmas friend MZ :pimp:

You requested "non-Iron Defense+Calm Mind+etc. Orbeetle. Orbeetle but something different." and I hope I can provide

beetle webs.jpg
First thing that came to mind was webs, it isn't completely out there but Orbeetle really isn't used for webs anymore. Figured I would take advantage of it being bulkier than Ribombee so it can more reliably get up webs and maybe two screens. Really simple team to use, I found in testing that god damn Scrafty under screens is tough to stop. I consistently beat Talonflames by them either not having wisp or wisping and getting 1st/2nd turn Shed Skin. NP Mesprit is hella good too, doesn't rlly get Oko'd by much so you set up and kill a lot.

Went like 20-0 on ladder with it but 0 games that are worth showing tbh, hope you enjoy it!

beetle standard.jpg
When in doubt throw a boosting item on, here is Specs Orbeetle. I guess the lack of steels makes it fairly usable, and the steels that do want to come in take a good amount from Body Press (4 Def Orbeetle Body Press vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Silvally-Steel: 132-156 (33.5 - 39.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO)
Felt like spikes + some U-turn spam would work out well, and covering the Pass annoyance that Guzz gives with Jelli + Talon. This team did alright in tests, if you play it well you can usually win with something. Breaking defensive Talon can be a bitch so if you were to change anything maybe get rocks somewhere, Claydol over Jelli could work.

This mon is so tough to build with if it isn't your set up wincon, this was a challenge to play with lmao. Make any changes you want, we build very differently so if you don't like em too much you can customize it. Hope you enjoy none the less

SergioRules you wanted CB or SD Absol so here teams with both. Click the sprites for the imports.

CB Absol BO so I just paired it with some VoltTurn stuff. Calm Mind Virizion is a late-game wincon and gives some form of a Scald switchin. Silvally-Fairy to check Fighting-types for Absol. Regirock for Stealth Rock and a check to Archeops etc. I went Thunder Wave here to support the initial two more, it has enough Speed for Roserade once paralyzed. Toge for Speed control and an Electric immunity + Steel-type. Charizard helps with the Fighting-types in this tier a little more + gives a Ground immunity. Went with a more offensive set with Defog being on Fairyvally.

Alternative version with Jellicent over Fairyvally as a more secure Water-type switchin, which I kinda liked more. Talonflame over Charizard for better Speed control and Defog support. Thought I'd give both incase you have a preference.

For SD Absol I just slapped it on a Sticky Web team. Ribombee is the best Sticky Web user imo and I went for a Boots set here because Sash is a waste of potential for this Pokemon. Talonflame gives a solid Fighting resist and more reliable Speed control outside of webs. Rhydon patches up a few things like the Talonflame matchup while providing Stealth Rock support and a Volt immunity. Ghostvally for an offensive spinblocker. Not really sure what the best last is but U-turn chips Dark-types better or you can just run Explosion to nuke something like Guzzlord etc. Finally, CM Virizion for a better Dark resist, Scald / Water-type switchin, and improves the overall Speed tiers.

Sixes_ you requested a team with the core perish trap lapras + stockpile guzzlord and here's my honest attempt at trying to make a team:

:lapras: :guzzlord: :palossand: :talonflame: :lanturn: :passimian:

I'm not very good at making gimmicky teams, and this request is quite hard because I don't ever remember to see stockpile being used competitively, and perish trap can be very inconsistent when your opponent knows what is coming but that's what I was able to do. Lapras has enough speed to creep vaporeon and what might try to creep vaporeon, I went with heavy duty boots + rest > leftovers + protect because it feels a bit more consistent after a few tests. You could use whirlpool > block if you really feel like *trying* to remove ghosts is useful, but guzzlord is already a roadblock for most of what you will find. As for stockpile guzzlord, I had no idea of what I could do, besides perhaps sitting there and spread toxic? I decided to go with stockpile + body press (with that sky-high base 53 defense even at max you are not dealing a lot of damage) with dark pulse for ghost types, and even with 25 ivs and no investment you can still 2hko ghostvally while you keep defense as your highest stat for beast boost. You could run toxic > dark pulse and/or ditch the speed and just put in SpD, but do as you wish (try to never find Haunter and Xatu if you toxic) beware that having two rest mons without sleep talk is very exploitable though,

As for the team, lapras and guzzlord have together a great weakness to fighting types and for that, I decided to go with palossand + talonflame since they can check / revenge kill this dangerous stuff while providing rocks + removal. You could go with will-o-wisp/toxic > u-turn on talonflame to help to spread status to support guzzlord if you desire to. Talonflame is also useful for speed control since the first 3 mons are incredibly slow. To finish this, I picked lanturn for a better fire/ice type check and overall decent special sponge (ig you could go with the bulky pivot set so you can check braviary better, but I like AV lanturn power and coverage) and scarf passimain for speed control and as a bonus, it can potentially lure in aromatisse and you hopefully will be able to trap it? That's wishful thinking.

There are big problems like playing against virizion, roserade, alolan exeggutor and abomasnow is a pain, so here's an alternative version with silvally-steel if you want to mitigate the problem with this stuff a bit (besides virizion): https://pokepast.es/ebfb0b0923c1cc35 (be very careful against water/rock mons)

Hope you like it!
Looks awesome man! Ty!

Hi Squash17! Well didn't you put me out of my comfort zone...
Your request was to build a team with Specs Claydol + Webs + Terrain w/ Extender

my honest to god response: "Secret Santa my ass, more like Secret Grinch who has stolen Christmas, cuz this ain't Christmas, clearly its April Fools'"

Anyway, it was really fun to build with, and it was really challenging and I learnt a lot and came up with a bunch of cool ideas, although some didn't exactly work, so thanks :).

I built 2 teams for you on this very very late Christmas and they both work to an okay degree and are fun to use on ladder.

:ss/Claydol: :ss/Pincurchin: :ss/Vikavolt: :ss/Virizion: :ss/Qwilfish: :ss/Aromatisse:

This was the first team I built and I got started the very night I was assigned this. Within the first few minutes I was stuck so I brainstormed within myself only considering some unburden Pokemon, but then after taking inspiration from a certain UberSkitty and his Eseed Orbeetle. I incorporated this into a bulky cm Virizion which aims to come in with Electric Terrain and sweep, which was really nice on ladder, especially with webs support from Vikavolt. I made sure to outspeed 295s in case defog came in, because the team doesnt have a defiant abuser.
Shoutouts to Bag of Trixx to helping me come up with some ideas after a test battle, he was the one who suggested qwilfish would do nicely in a fairy-weak team. Destiny Bond was also really cool in testing because its just one less mon for the team to deal with, and creates momentum for the team nicely, which is really crucial if you're gonna play with this. Touching on momentum, I have slow volt switch Vika and Memento Pincurchin, and I originally had Teleport on Claydol (which is still viable), but I decided Rapid Spin is a tad bit more useful in case Vikavolt gets knocked, and Vikavolt wants to be more reliable as a Webs Setter, especially when you have a Virizion sweeper that really wants webs up.

tl;dr, the team likes momentum, Virizion set is cool and im proud of myself for making it, you want longevity and consistency. :D

:ss/Claydol: :ss/Passimian: :ss/Pincurchin: :ss/Drampa: :ss/Galvantula: :ss/Jellicent:

Okay now this team I had no help with, but a lot of inspiration came from the first team and I immediately smacked Passimian on for what I was lacking last time, a defog deterrent. Passimian really puts in the pressure for this team, and it just feels like bread and butter when it deals with the rock types for Drampa (those rock types need to be dealt with). Drampa was based on the Virizion set, but it gets reliable recovery and Berserk, and once all of the Toxic users are gone, you're free to sweep. If the Toxic users are not all gone, you get around 2 kills per game if played decently. Galvantula was an alternative for Vikavolt last time, but this time I thought that it would make more sense if I placed Galvantula in the team. Its great speed meant that it pressured a lot of things that outsped most things on opposing teams especially after webs, and fast Rising Voltage + Bug Buzz really put pressure on the things that Drampa doesnt like. An alternative for Energy Ball is Volt Switch, but I can't decide between the two as of yet. Jellicent is for a spinblocker to make life even easier for Drampa which likes webs because it outspeeds a few things after webs. And it pressures Rock types which is a plus.
I hope you enjoy playing with this :) cya round!

P.S I listened to french accordion music while typing this up so if you don't like this i will be sad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)