ORAS NU The epitome of NU stall (peak #1 with 1621 elo)

fish anemometer

I ❤️HOLE
is a Tiering Contributoris the defending PU Circuit Champion
Hey guys, I'm KJ Corp (Kosa Kosa on the ladder) and I would like to share a team that got me to the #1 spot on the nu ladder! My favorite playstyle was always stall, because I really like having a switch in for as many threats as possible. Stall is a playstyle not that commonly seen on the ladder because of stuff like sub-cm uxie and magneton, but somehow I managed to brake through them with unviable creative sets. All in all I went 43-4 with this team and a 87 gxe, with all 4 loses coming from my first 16 games.
11119635_1628334560716906_7800683620545518007_n.jpg

The king of stall, I was so happy it didn't raise to RU. I chose this over poliwrath because of more reliable recovery, unaware and a nice ground typing. With quagsire I already had a blanket check to so many physical sweepers and set up mons.

Next up is Xatu. He has really nice synergy with quagsire and with a surprise shadow ball, it can set up on/force out bulky psychics that use quag as setup fodder. It also acts as a really good fighting type answer. Oh and since this team has no defogger, it/s nice to have xatu pressure hazard users.

Every stall team must have a cleric, this team has audino for that. It has titanic special bulk and passes huge wishes. I use this over lickilicky because of regenerator. It's pretty much a chansey of NU!

At this point, I still think well played physical attackers can brake my other 2 walls. That's why I chose Tangela. This thing is just so physically bulky, I love watching primape's cc doing 27-30% This was also an alternative to feroseed bcuz magnets were everywhere. It also forms a regen core with audino.

All i could see now is getting swept by a ninetails or magmortar. Flareon acts as a secondary special wall and a switch in to fire types. It's also a back up wish passer. flareon helps a lot with toxic stalling and stopping wisp spam. Also, yay FWG core!!!!

I needed a rocker, and something to help against swellow and gorebyss. At first it was cradily, but I really needed that steel type. At first I was didn/t want him on my team, but gosh he fits really well.

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Curse
- Scald
- Earthquake
My physical wall quagsire, as I said before he's pcool with his ability and recovery. The ground typing let's me play around with volt-turn users and let's me scout their hidden power. This guy usually acts as my knock off absorber too. Curse is used to beat malamar, and other greedy curse/bulk up users. Sometimes I even sweep with this guy! Earthquake beats all I need to beat so scald>waterfall. I used rindo berry for a bit, but leftovers is definitely better.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Roost
This bird probably needs a better set, but I was lazy making this guy so yeah. I knew stall was always 6-0ed by bulky psychics, I tried shadow ball on xatu and it kind of worked... calm mind is for opposing stall teams and to increse special bulk. I use psychic cause it does more to quagsires and hazard setters like sandslash. Roost is roost. Pokemon tend to just start spamming knock off when this xatu is out, so I have a colbur berry for that.

Audino @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
My main cleric. This guy can switch in a lot because of regenerator and his tankiness. Wish-tect is great for healing my team, especially ferroseed and xatu who gets worn down fast. A team with quagsire and tangela just hates status, so heal bell is a must. Knock off is a good attacking move that can cripple opponents. Having knock off also means I can defeat ghost types like mismagius and rotom. Max hp and max spdef is definitely the best ev spread.

Tangela @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic
Oh tangela and your unmatched physical bulk... So, this member formes a nice regenerator core with audino AND a FWG core with quagsire and flareon. Tangela is really good in the current meta, or at least on this team :I Leech seed is great at wearing stuff down and healing too, it also makes switching into seeded stuff easier. Giga drain is just your standard stab move, and hidden power fire is the coverage move that doesn't let magneton and cacturne safely switch in. Fletchinder is also everywhere so toxic is the final slot. Toxic also helps because there's a lot of protecting on this team.

Flareon @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect
My counter to non psyshock ninetails and magmortars, as well as a nice stop to vivillon and liligant. Flaree finishes the fwg core and is a great special tank, although stealth rocks hinder it a lot. Toxic is cool along with wish-tect. Protect is a move I use a lot on this guy to increase hp before switching. Flare blitz is used over lava plume because of sheer power, seriously, 120 bp and 130 attack doesn't have to be invested to do damage.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ground]
The final member of the team is hp ground ferroseed. yes. Ferro is nice and bulky on both sides of the defenses, which comes in handy when facing swellow and gorebyss. Leech seed and toxic are once again for crippling switch ins. Stealth rocks are self-explanetory, but hp ground?? Yeah, you guys probably already guessed why, magnets. I just don't want them to get free turns on this mon, and I was so paranoid I resorted to this. I tend to knock off eviolites with audino before I swtch into magneon with this, just to be safe. The evs are actually random, I just wanted some a lot of hysical bulk and a good amount of spdef.

Conclusion:
Like any other stall team, this teams focus is to ware down the opponents pokemon, 3 out of 6 mons have toxic and all of them have ways to recover. There are some threats that really give this team trouble, but there are ways to deal with them. You guys can have fun trying to get #1 with this team like I did n_n

Mixed cacturn is a huge threat, the physically attacking one can be handled by tangela, but if they carry dark pulse it's a huge threat.

Mixed electivire 6-0es this team, thankfully it's not common.

Gorebyss is very hard to deal with, usually I toxic and leech seed it, then pray for the best.

Swellow is hard to take on, but not impossible with protect stalling and iron barbs.
sub-cm is still hard to deal with xatu, but other variants are easy.

Zangoose is a monster against defensive teams, this one is no exeption.

Xatu @ Colbur Berry
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Roost

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Recover
- Curse
- Scald
- Earthquake

Audino @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Tangela @ Eviolite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Toxic

Flareon @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 228 Def / 32 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 SpD
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Hidden Power [Ground]

So that was my first RMT, I hope you enjoyed it! Take care ^_^ RU is up next... :J

Hey Bro!

Nice team you have here, and with stall being so hard to pull off in the current metagame, with loads of threats everywhere, you seem to have struck a nice balance between being stally and effective all at once. I like your team a lot, but there are a few niggly things that I would like to mention to you.

Hazards control on a stall team is quite a delicate topic, but I don't think xatu is going to be reliable enough on stall to completely prevent hazards all on its own, bulky rock types like Regirock, the likes of Golurk, and Rampardos / Pinsir all have ways to settup Stealth Rock with little trouble and proceed to be annoying. Also with No T-Spikes absorber, it will put severr stress on your team, and you might not be able to deal with the poison damage. You also have a slight problem in EQ Magmortar, which has a way of bypassing your Flareon, 2HKO'ing it with EQ, and proceeding to claim more lives every time it comes in, so this change hopefully will give you help on both fronts.

I am going to suggest to you Physically Defensive Garbodor > Tangela.
Tangela in this knock off heavy meta took a real hit to its viability. Its not really one of the best physically defensive walls anymore because people knock it off, then on the next turn 2HKO it with your main stab, with Garbodor, you not only have a way of getting rid of tspikes, but a way of forcing defogs etc thanks to the ability to stack hazards yourself. A stall team generally wins due to its ability to stack hazards so that its win-condition can just plough through the opposing team, and by adding a better fighting stop, tspikes absorber, and general hazards setter you are increasing this teams effectiveness as a stall team.

Onto my other change which is Thick Fat AV Hariyama > Flareon.
My main concern with this team was it's inability to deal with EQ Magmortar, Flareon is simply 2HKO'd on the switch, and also looking at it, your team lacks priority to revenge kill fast mons that have already settup, with Hariyama's Dual Priority, you can weaken mons sufficiently and proceed to fake them out to revenge kill, which on stall might become crucial if say you lost one of your mons to hax etc.
Sure, this change does open the door for ninetales but Flareon didn't actually deal with SubNP Tales in the First Place. At least a mix spread (in def and spd) fixes that problem to an extent.
If you don't feel like fake out or BP you could try and be cool and run a stone edge set to bop xatu, but generally you should go with Dual Priority, since its utility is unpassable.

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 196 Def / 64 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Drain Punch
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Hariyama @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Overall, cool team, I'm glad to see people trilying out maybe more challenging play styles to success.
yours in pokemon,
~HJAD

fish anemometer

I ❤️HOLE
Hmmmm... I've tried helmet garbador before but not hariyama. Flareon was always my go to special wall besides audi/licki. I'll be considerably weaker to wisp and burns though. I will give it a try :)

ey

This is a pretty great team and congrats on your peak. This team is actually really solid and doesn't look weak to many of the top threats, so I commend you for that. HJADs rate is a good start, and covers some of the threats too the team. However, the main weakness on your team that I see, is that it looks like you rely on Quagsire a little bit too much to check Malamar and physical threats that hit Tangela super effectively such as Tauros and Sneasel, also Magmortar straight beats this team (like it beats most stall teams).

AV Yama is a good change, but i'm also going to recommend that you put Signal Beam > Shadow Ball on Xatu. It pretty much offers the same coverage as Shadow Ball but also offers a secondary way to beat Malamar, as well as a nice confusion chance.

The second and final change i'm going to recommend is that you go with Mega Audino > Audino. Losing regenerator sucks, i understand, but changing from Mega Audino to Audino allows for your team to have an actual Tauros Check as well as beat pretty much any sneasel out there. It also can act as a secondary check to fighting types if you feel like Xatu is being pressured too much, while also absorbing Knock Offs. The spread im going to give you allows you to switch into Stealth Rock twice and not be 2HKO'd by Tauros Rock Climb, while still maintaining enough SpAtk in order to beat Malamar 1v1.

Hope i helped!

: Signal Beam > Shadow Ball

Audino @ Audinite | Regenerator -> Healer
232 HP / 220 Def / 56 SpAtk | Bold
Wish | Protect | Dazzling Gleam | Heal Bell

fish anemometer

I ❤️HOLE
Signal beam seems really cool, it's not only Malamar I can bop but cacturne too thnx! I don't know about the audino change, I use it to sponge a lot of special hits so another physical wall is iffy, especially because hariyama has no reliable recovery.

Signal beam seems really cool, it's not only Malamar I can bop but cacturne too thnx! I don't know about the audino change, I use it to sponge a lot of special hits so another physical wall is iffy, especially because hariyama has no reliable recovery.
Um.... non-mega Audino is way better because it clerics are always a target so Leftovers and Regenerator can heal it a lot when it is damaged.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
You aren't forced to Mega Evolve immediately. A lot of the time, it's better to keep Audino in its regular form throughout the majority of the battle. You only Mega Evolve when you really need the Fairy typing and/or the extra bulk.

I'm not convinced that Mega Audino is the way to go however. Yes, having a reliable switch-in to Tauros is important, but without a specially defensive spread, your team pretty much gets overrun by Pokemon like special Samurott and Ludicolo, which steamroll your team once Ferroseed is weakened. You might try SpDef Roselia over Tangela and PhDef Mega Audino over regular Audino. This would also give your team Spikes support, so it seems like the best compromise.

ManOfMany

I can make anything real
is a Tiering Contributor
I don't see why you can't run Specially Defensive Mega Audino.

Something like 252 HP/ 20 Def/236 SpD with a Bold Nature sounds good enough.

252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 236 SpD Mega Audino: 153-183 (37.3 - 44.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Sheer Force Tauros Rock Climb vs. 252 HP / 20+ Def Mega Audino: 153-181 (37.3 - 44.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Gives a nice check to both special and physical attackers, and it's not like normal Audino really deals with Samurott and Rain Dance Ludicolo anyway.

252+ SpA Life Orb Samurott Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Audino: 179-212 (43.6 - 51.7%) -- 68% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)