Pending The disconnect/reconnect process

Felucia

Robot Empress
is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
This suggestion aims to combine a few past suggestions regarding the PS disconnect/reconnect process as well as adding a few new steps.

Essentially, the disconnect/reconnect process is awkward. First of all, like outlined in this closed suggestion sockjs can be disconnected for a pretty long time without communicating that to the user. This suggestion doesn't have a tag, so I'm unsure if it was rejected or inactive.
Also, this is a minor issue, but when you do disconnect your text boxes become inaccessible so long messages may be lost. This suggestion is already approved, but it affects this one so I wanted to reference it.

Here's my suggestion:
  • Show an indicator that direct server communication is interrupted, as outlined by the first linked suggestion
  • Don't show the "You are disconnected and cannot chat" text, instead set that text as a placeholder for input fields as outlined by the second linked suggestion.
  • OR, the actual intent for my suggestion: automatically reconnect to the PS servers without requiring a refresh.

This is especially impactful on bad or slow networks, which already struggle to stay connected to PS, let alone having to reload a lot of the website's data for no reason. Reconnecting without refreshing, whether automatic or when you press the button, would improve user experience for all users, and make PS significantly more usable for a subset of users

Last edited:
Essentially, the disconnect/reconnect process is awkward. First of all, like outlined in this closed suggestion sockjs can be disconnected for a pretty long time without communicating that to the user
I am a serial "play Random Battles in a car" player which also means that sometimes my data connection will get got for a few seconds, and I will disconnect from Showdown. If I knew I could just refresh the page and reconnect, but oftentimes I do not know. This has led to me trying to do random actions during mobile play to continuously make sure I am connected (like using bot commands in chat), because I don't trust it to tell me that I disconnected.

(Just giving an example of how this can be a problem.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)