The Best Defense is a Good Offense: An Uber RMT

It has been about a year since I played in the Uber tier. I got back into it a week ago and the metagame hadn't changed all that much. It quickly got interested in it again and tested many different teams, but this one appears to be the most successful for me so far. I am convinced it could use improvement. My CRE is hovering at around 1450 now and I am winning about 60% of my games, but I want to make that percentage higher and raise my CRE. That is why I post this team here.

The Team Building Process

I decided to begin with this team a little differently. Rather than begin it with a sweeper, I decided to begin it with a lead. That lead is Shyamin-S. It's ability to prevent Deoxys-S from setting up any hazards most of the time is unheard of so it earned that spot on my team easily.

Next, I needed somebody reliable who could set up Stealth Rock. With all the high Special Defense Pokemon in Ubers, I wanted him to be able to attack physically too. I also wanted either a Rock or Ice resistance to make up for Shyamin-S's two common weaknesses (fire isn't common enough in ubers for me to take it into account this early). Groudon was the perfect choice.

I had a glaring Ice weakness now. I needed either a Water type like Kyogre or a Steel type like Scizor. I also wanted to get a Dragon resist and a priority move so Scizor became the obvious choice.

With the Kyogre running around everywhere, I needed something that could take a Water Spout. Groudon is weak to it, and Scizor and Shyamin-S don't have the Special Defense needed to take one. I needed either a 4x resist or a Water Absorber. Palkia fit the bill perfectly. It was a great revenge killer (which I needed because of Shyamin-S's short Life Span) and also held a 4x fire resistance. I added it onto my team.

I had nobody that was capable of inducing status on my team (except Groudon) so another status inducer would be good. Sleep is undoubtedly the best status so I wanted somebody who could cause reliable sleep. Darkrai, without a doubt, the best sleep inducer in Ubers so I gave him a spot on my team.

Now I had the base of my team set up and I was missing my finisher. I needed somebody who could set up easily and sweep the opponent, being fast enough to hit first, but bulky enough to take hits if it had to. I ended up deciding on Mewtwo. I almost chose Latios, but I couldn't afford another Ice weakness.

The Team

My team has a very simple goal in mind. Don't let the opponent set up. Don't let the opponent stall. Don't let the opponent sweep. Don't let the opponent win. I accomplish this by giving myself an immediate advantage with Shyamin-S. Once I have that advantage, I rely on using the bulkiness of my offensive powerhouses to switch rather than dedicated walls.

Shaymin-s @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 60 HP/196 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Air Slash
- Earth Power
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Shyamin-S was the Pokemon I based this team around. It defeats opposing Deoxys-s leads most of the time and can just come back in later in the game if it has to and Air Slash things to death (or even sweep with Seed Flare if conditions are right). This lead almost never fails to start the game up in my direction.
---

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- Pursuit

Scizor is vital to my team. He has key Dragon and Ice resistances. He also has Bullet Punch for priority which is very useful for when I accidentally allow a sweeper like SD Garchomp or DD Rayquaza set up. It also works as a revenge killer if it has to with Bullet Punch. It can also Pursuit Trap which is a great commodity with all of the Psychic types in ubers. U-Turn is great to give me an immediate matchup advantage as the opponent switches. Bullet Punch is my strongest move against Blissey and other Steel types.
---

Palkia @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Spacial Rend
- Surf
- Thunder
- Fire Blast

Palkia, with her good Speed and great Special Attack is a great revenge killer. It is my only Pokemon that can switch into the likes of a Kyogre Water Spout which is the main reason I actually have it on my team. It also gave ma a 4x Fire Resistance which worked out well for me. A sun-booseted Fire Blast can usually surprise opposing steel types like Forretress or Scizor who try to switch into Spacial Rend and get me a KO.
---

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP/156 Atk/32 Def/8 Spd/60 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw

Groudon is probably the most disposable part of my team. It's access to Stealth Rock, Drought, and Rock resistance helps my team a lot. It's Ice Weakness is it's biggest downfall for my team. I am considering putting a Choice Scarf Kyogre in it's place, then replacing Palkia with something that can set up Stealth Rocks. (Opinions?)
---

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
- Dark Pulse
- Dark Void
- Focus Blast
- Substitute

I have used Darkrai on all of my Uber Teams since it's advent to the metagame. Dark Void is just a move that is too good to pass up. I use this set rather than the standard Nasty Plot set for a few reasons. First of all, it allows me to scout the opponent's switch-in. In the past, when I favored the Nasty Plot set, way too many games went like this.
Darkaid used Dark Void.
PokemonX fell asleep.
Pokemon X switched out to Pokemon Y
Darkrai used Nasty Plot
Then as I realized I can't beat Pokemon Y, I switch out, having done no damage, except for putitng Pokemon X to sleep.
Substitute also allows me to, while not defeat Blissey, take a chunk out of her health with Focus Blast. Normally, I would have to switch out as soon as she switches in, fearing paralysis. With a Substitute, I can take out a decent amount of it's health. Also, as Blissey thinks I might Sub again, it will probably avoid using a status move, giving me the perfect chance to switch in my Mewtwo which can taunt, then set up on Blissey if she lacks Seismic Toss.
---

Mewtwo @ Leftovers
- Taunt
- Calm Mind
- Aura Sphere
- Ice Beam

Mewtwo is my late-game sweeper. Almost nothing can match the sweeping capabilities of Mewtwo. Reaching 407 SpA and 394 Spe is enough to scare anybody. Taunt allows me to avoid status and phazing. Calm Mind makes me unstopabble, reaching more than 600 SpA after a single boost (not to mention 324 SpD and 354 HP). Aura Sphere and Ice Beam offer great coverage.
---

Changes I am considering:
  • Switching Mewtwo to a Latios
  • Switching Palkia into a Choice Scarf Kyogre
  • Switching Groudon for another support Pokemon that learns Stealth Rocks (Bronzong? Dialga?)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not a bad team. I see Ho-oh causing you problems (Don't worry it causes problems for everyone). It can come in on pretty much everything on your team except Darkrai if Sleep Clause isn't activated (Especially Scizor!!) and set up Sub and give you a world of pain. I do think Kyogre would be beneficial to your team, and ScarfOgre fits nicely into your team (You can remove Palkia for it). As for the Stealth Rocker, you should consider mixed Dialga:

Dialga @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
-Stealth Rock
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder/Earth Power
-Outrage

Since most SD Rays are Adamant these days, using Dialga to revenge it is usually quite safe. He can set up SR for you, giving the opponent the impression that Dialga is relatively harmless. However, you can also consider the following spread for Mewtwo: 72 Def/184 SpA/252 Spe. I found this spread on an RMT which Fireburn was rating, and I really like it. If Mewtwo is at full health, this spread allows him to survive a +2 Extremespeed all the time. So, if the opponent's SD Ray for some weird reason happens to be Jolly, you can revenge it with Mewtwo.

Hope I helped. Good luck

Not a bad team. I see Ho-oh causing you problems (Don't worry it causes problems for everyone). It can come in on pretty much everything on your team except Darkrai if Sleep Clause isn't activated (Especially Scizor!!) and set up Sub and give you a world of pain. I do think Kyogre would be beneficial to your team, and ScarfOgre fits nicely into your team (You can remove Palkia for it). As for the Stealth Rocker, you should consider mixed Dialga:

Dialga @ Leftovers/Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
Nature: Hasty
-Stealth Rock
-Draco Meteor
-Thunder/Earth Power
-Outrage

Since most SD Rays are Adamant these days, using Dialga to revenge it is usually quite safe. He can set up SR for you, giving the opponent the impression that Dialga is relatively harmless. However, you can also consider the following spread for Mewtwo: 72 Def/184 SpA/252 Spe. I found this spread on an RMT which Fireburn was rating, and I really like it. If Mewtwo is at full health, this spread allows him to survive a +2 Extremespeed all the time. So, if the opponent's SD Ray for some weird reason happens to be Jolly, you can revenge it with Mewtwo.

Hope I helped. Good luck
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I just implemented them all for today to test them out.

Shrang mentioned ScarfOgre but did not make a example so I will,

Kyogre @ Choice Scarf
4 HP / 252 Spa / 252 Spe
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Thunder
-Ice Beam

Since Shrang mentioned Ho-oh as a major threat this Kyogre will nullify that in more than one ways: It will not longer have a sun boost thanks to your Groundon being gone, it will have Rain which screws it over pretty badly, This Kogre can also threaten your opponents Groundon if he has one.(Assuming that your opponent has a Ho-oh, they most likely have a Groundon as well.) And it is only ten BS points slower than Palkia, so the difference will not be major.

Great RMT, and good luck on your future laddering!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)