The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I can't see the reasoning behind it. Man Utd already has two of the best centre-backs in the world in Vidic and Rio and they also already have the 'promising young English centre-back' thing going on with Smalling. What role is Jones gonna play? Is he gonna push Smalling into the reserves? Or will he find himself there? Either way, some young talent is gonna lose out on opportunities. Hopefully Smalling or Jones will get a loan deal to get some playtime in.

ps. sky sports say the fee was 16.5 million.
Well I agreed with what you said until I really thought about it . ( It's a kinda stupid thought buy whatever ) This could turn out to be a good buy. How? In modern football , most top teams have a player in their team or formation who can play in a sort of role such as an anchor man or ball winning midfielder.( Mascherano,Pepe, Van Bommel etc. ) Maybe Jones can fit there? I know he can play just above the two centre backs but I don't know if he can play right in the centre , next to a creative midfielder .But he is robust, good at tackling and is agressive , he should be able to fit there. If we can transform him ( LUL sounds retarded ) into a player like Van Bommel, that wouldn't hurt us at all . After all I think we all can remember that we were not only dominated by barca's forwards but their midfielders as well on the 28th of May . Oh!!!! Also what happened to that other chap we had? I forgot his name , he was also a centre back . Oh Jonny Evans?

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
yeah...was kinda hoping he'd fail the medical on account of the fact he's obviously lost his fucking mind.

still, no ill will. he'll still go down as a toon legend for guiding us through two of the most 'make-or-break' seasons in our club's history and for being the first captain since Shearer who actually understood what it meant to be captain of Newcastle. Just sorry it had to end like this. :(

SWANSEA'S FIRST GAME OF THE SEASON IS MANCHESTER CITY AWAY

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

literally that could be no more awesome, except maybe if it was utd. i can actually go to the first game of the season! SO FUCKING EXCITED. just reading the fixture list was amazing - swansea v arsenal? man utd v swansea? even swansea v fucking stoke gave me happy shivers :3

IT FINALLY FEELS REAL AND OH GOD IM SO FUCKING EXCITED

swansea better beat the bitters :P
these are stupid
Aug
13 West Brom A
20 Tottenham H
27 Arsenal H
Sept
10 Bolton A
17 Chelsea H
24 Stoke A
Oct
1 Norwich H
15 Liverpool A
22 Man City H
29 Everton A

could they not give united a harder season start?

Lee

@ Thick Club
17th Dec akuchi, whack it in your diary!

Rematch of the game of the season on Day 1!

And Sunderland on the second game of the season!

YEAH!

swansea better beat the bitters :P
these are stupid
Aug
13 West Brom A
20 Tottenham H
27 Arsenal H
Sept
10 Bolton A
17 Chelsea H
24 Stoke A
Oct
1 Norwich H
15 Liverpool A
22 Man City H
29 Everton A

could they not give united a harder season start?
Already scared of Norwich I see xD

nah, the fact we have tottenham.... then arsenal..... then bolton away... then chelsea.... then stoke away... then an easy game.. then scouse away.. then the bitters... then everton :P

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

yes finally linked with world class talent. zapata is a fucking beast of a CB. he was going to go to Real Madrid 2 years agao to replace cannavaro and he was linked in january with Man city and inter. apparently, he's extremely close to signing with Liverpool but he's one of Bayern Munich's top targets so we won't get him easily.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
tough august and october for arsenal, hopefully nasri will still be around to help us through, also I wish Chamakh would get some starts, arsenal could play the 4-4-2 and put chamakh on, though wenger will probably never go for that :(

modric wants to go to chelsea

so happy. vdv and bale next. now those spurs fans who think tottenham are a big club because they fluked it into the top 4, can stfu. yesyseysyesyesyesyes

Edit: also, thank god: renne's sylvain marveaux failed his medical when he was really close to signing for us. and lol newcastle got him now. its official! thank god

levy says modric isn't going anywhere

This won't end well! Although I'm betting he'll go, no point keeping a player who doesn't want to be there.

"I wish to make it absolutely clear, as I have said previously, that none of our key players will be sold this summer," said levy.
"We are building a team for the future to consistently play at the highest level and retaining quality players is crucial to that.
"In respect of Luka Modric, we are not prepared to sell, at any price, to Chelsea Football Club or any other club.
"We made our stance on this issue abundantly clear in writing to Chelsea. They chose to ignore it and then subsequently made the offer public.
"For the avoidance of any doubt, let me reiterate that we shall not enter into any negotiations whatsoever, with any Club, regarding Luka.
"We now consider this matter closed."
Toon also signed Sylvain Marveaux on a free from Rennes, on a 5 year contract. Possibly a replacement for Gutierrez?

Lee

@ Thick Club
ok, i had high hopes for this transfer window but it's been a bit of a disaster. We've lost our talisman (and will probably lose a few other star players) and signed a few unproven players on the cheap. Roll on August 31st...

Levy is just doing his usual trick to get a few extra million out of the transfer. It's exactly what he did with Berbatov.

England u21 knocked out in group stages, 2 late goals lol

Alexis sanchez is close to a Barca move apparantly

Park Ji sung may consider quitting Man u sometime soon

Joey Barton? wtf seriously? He probably wont be worse than Denison or Diaby but still, I'm shocked that Wenger's targets arent 16 year old French kids playing in the third division, but instead an Englishman. Wont believe this one until it actually happens.

This transfer window feels more rushed than some previous ones, usually the big deals are done near the end but already Henderson, Jones, and now maybe even Sanchez are already done deals

Errr.. Barton is actually a very good player? He's been a twat a lot of the time, but he's sorted out his problems offfield (which lets be fair arent any worse than john terry and he captained the fucking country) and, you know, he's actually good. Plus he comes over pretty awesome on Twitter. Probably Newcastle's best player last season. Denilson and Diaby are not the same class :/

Liverpool won't go for Taarabt, he's too temperamental. And shit. I know they've tried and been linked etc, but I'll be very very very surprised if he's there come season start.

Fkn Taarabt. Prick.

Taarabt had a go at Craig Bellamy, a well known twat, therefore he is all right in my eyes :P

I don't really rate Barton that highly, I mean he's good but there are definitely better players and him saying that he's 'the best English midfielder' when he's not even the best on his team imo just makes me think he's a twat! Also I think that he shouldn't be allowed on the National team because he's a pretty bad role model, but then I don't think Rooney or Terry should be either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)