The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackburn Rovers manager Sam Allardyce got fired today.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...cICQeEIG4OSD24ncQ?docId=N0126071292259390288A

Blackburn sack Allardyce

Blackburn have announced they have sacked manager Sam Allardyce.
In a shock move, new owners the Venky's Group have dispensed with the former Bolton boss' services despite Rovers sitting relatively comfortably in 13th in the Barclays Premier League.

"We have taken this decision as part of our wider plans and ambitions for the club," Rovers said.

Allardyce's assistant Neil McDonald will also depart, with first team coach Steve Kean stepping into the breach temporarily.

The full statement from Rovers said: "The Venky's Group, owners of Blackburn Rovers Football Club, has today confirmed the departure of manager Sam Allardyce and assistant manager Neil McDonald with immediate effect.

"First team coaching duties will be taken on by Steve Keane (currently first team coach) for the immediate future.

"We have taken this decision as part of our wider plans and ambitions for the club. We would like to put on record our thanks to Mr Allardyce for his contribution to Blackburn Rovers Football Club."

Blackburn lost 2-1 away to local rivals Bolton on Sunday, with their opponents down to 10 men. However, that defeat left them still five points clear of the bottom three and in no obvious danger.

One bookmaker did reveal a flurry of sizeable bets on Allardyce to be the next top-flight manager to vacate his post and slashed odds from 33/1 to 3/1 today.
William Hill also revealed many of the gamblers betting on Allardyce were also placing money on Avram Grant to leave West Ham, leading them to conclude Allardyce may be headed for Upton Park.

Copyright © 2010 The Press Association. All rights reserved.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Yar, us Wanderers beat those Rovers with 10 men. Sad to see our old boss get sacked though.

Also: Chris Hughton to be new Blackburn Rovers Boss, You heard it hear first!

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Allardyce being sacked is a ridiculous move by Blackburn's new owners unless they've got someone lined up who can be in quickly and in advance of the January transfer window. Either way, a change in personnel isn't really going to lift Blackburn out of mid-table mediocrity unless the new owners have pots of money to splash on new talent. Either way, I think it was a rash decision and one that won't benefit the club (and even it does it will only be like 1 or 2 places above where Allardyce would have left them). Sacking an experienced manager on a whim like this is, in my opinion, ludicrous.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
Very disappointed in United vs arsenal, a terrible game in which both sides looked awful, and united especially wasted good chances. The only players who looked really good were the new arsenal keeper, and Nani who has easily been the best player in the league this year.

Allardyce has been fired yesterday and now Martin Jol seems to be the favourite to take it over. First Newcastle, now Blackburn. Every time when an English or German club fires the coach (or if the coach quits himself), Martin Jol is favourite!

Jol doesn't want to. He needs rest and won't take any job offers until the winter transfer period is over, and probably he will try to find a new job in the summer. And Jol doesn't want to work for a relegation candidate. A subtopper is what he wants.

I think Hambuerger SV will try to get him this winter. That's a club Jol wants to work for.

On a Blackburn forum, Jol is favourite too.
http://www.roverstalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3305

I don't know if there are any Blackburn fans here. If yes, what do you think about firing Allardyce and do you want Jol or not?

Inter vs Seongnam Ilhwa 3-0
Inter played a very slow tempo in that match and dind't have much to deal with only on a few set pieces. Inter suffered a big blow early in the game though : Wesley Sneidjer limped off in the opening minutes after a rough tackle. Benitez said he doubts that Sneidjer will play on Saturday. Rafa has another 90-120 mins this saturday to prolong his sacking. But key injuries- julio cesar, motta, and lucio coming back will aid his cause, and especially even more so once sneijder and maicon are back into the picture as well, not to mention samuel who is out for sometime..

Inter vs Seongnam Ilhwa 3-0
Inter played a very slow tempo in that match and dind't have much to deal with only on a few set pieces. Inter suffered a big blow early in the game though : Wesley Sneidjer limped off in the opening minutes after a rough tackle. Benitez said he doubts that Sneidjer will play on Saturday. Rafa has another 90-120 mins this saturday to prolong his sacking. But key injuries- julio cesar, motta, and lucio coming back will aid his cause, and especially even more so once sneijder and maicon are back into the picture as well, not to mention samuel who is out for sometime..
Won't they face Mazembe? They could have their main team injured and they would still win. It's too bad because I wanted to see a Internacional-Internazionalle (spelling?).

Sapientia

Wir knutschen
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Bayern - Inter
Schalke - Valencia
Barcelona - Arsenal
Real - Lyon
Manchester - Marseille
Chelsea - Kopenhagen
Rom - Donezk
Tottenham - Milan

revenge =D
I have no doubt that we will win against inter now
poor Real will lose in r2 again :'(

Internazionale - Bayern München 1-2
Bayern München - Internazionale 3-0
Bayern München

Valencia CF - Schalke 04 0-0
Schalke 04 - Valencia CF 1-0
Schalke 04

AC Milan - Tottenham Hotspur 3-1
Tottenham Hotspur - AC Milan 1-0
AC Milan

AS Roma - Shaktar Donetsk 2-0
Shaktar Donetsk - AS Roma 0-1
AS Roma

Olympique Lyon - Real Madrid 2-4
Real Madrid - Olympique Lyon 5-0
Real Madrid

Arsenal - Barcelona 2-1
Barcelona - Arsenal 3-0
Barcelona

Olympique Marseille - Manchester United 1-1
Manchester United - Olympique Marseille 2-1
Manchester United

FC Copenhagen - Chelsea 2-1
Chelsea - FC Copenhagen 2-0
Chelsea

I don't think the Arsenal - Barca games will be that close, Wenger as stubborn as he is will one again try and play Barcelona at their own game and get humilated.

Last year Arsenal tried this and were battered at the Emirates by an arguably worse Barca team, and would have been about 5 down in the 1st half if not for a misfiring Ibra, David Villa won't give them the let offs Ibra did.

They then got beaten at the Nou Camp with Vermalean defending, he might not even make this game.Messi had a field day with Vermalean in defence what is he going to do to Laurent Koscielny who gets beaten by the likes of Diouf.

Arsenal need to do what brought them goals at the Emirates, use pace on the wings as Barca can be suspect defending here with their full backs being so attacking and also crosses into the box for Bendtner and Chamahk to head, Barca are not that strong in the air.

As for the other ties.

Internazionale - Bayern München = Bayern München

Inter are not anywhere near as good as last season with Rafa in charge, i think they will slip up here against a good but not great Bayern team.

Valencia CF - Schalke = Schalke 04

Valencia are a good team on their day, but so inconsistent, Schalke are not bad either and i think their decent attacking players will be too much for Valencia.

AC Milan - Tottenham Hotspur = Tottenham Hotspur

I expect high scoring games from both, but in the end i think Spurs pace will be too much for Milan's old defence, plus i would love to see Spurs vs Barca for all those idiots who think Bale is as good as Messi or would make it in the Barcelona team.

AS Roma - Shaktar Donetsk = AS Roma

Roma because they are just a better team with better players, wouldn't expect either of these teams to make it past the quarters though.

Olympique Lyon - Real Madrid = Real Madrid

Lyon won't knock Real out this time around, despite the 5-0 at Barca Real are fantastic under Jose, Ronaldo is better then last season, if i had to choose a team to win the Champions league they would be it.

Arsenal - Barcelona = Barcelona

Olympique Marseille - Manchester United = Manchester United

This United side are poor by their standards but United always tend to pick up in the 2nd half of the season, they will have too much for Marsielle, who are a good team especially in attack, but this is a step too far.

FC Copenhagen - Chelsea = Chelsea

Chelsea are in poor form with nothing to suggest a turnaround any time soon and Copenhagen are being overlooked, they are a decent team and did well in their group. I could see them getting a draw from Chelsea at home, but Chelsea will have too much for them at Stamford Bridge. After Barca and Real i would consider Chelsea favourites.

shade

be sharp, say nowt
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Bayern - Inter
Schalke - Valencia
Barcelona - Arsenal
Real - Lyon
Manchester - Marseille
Chelsea - Kopenhagen
Rom - Shaktar
Tottenham - Milan

bam

gutted arsenal

Bayern - Internazionale
Schalke - Valencia
Barcelona - Arsenal
Real - Lyon
Manchester - Marseille
Chelsea - Kopenhagen
Roma - Shaktar
Tottenham - Milan

Also Europa League for anyone who cares (without predicting for teams I don't know anything about!)

Napoli - Villareal
Rangers - Sporting CP
Sparta Prague - Liverpool
Anderlecht - Ajax
Lech Poznan - Braga
Besiktas - Dinamo Kyiv
Basel - Spartak Moscow
Young Boys - Zenit St. Petersburg
Aris - Manchester City
PAOK - CSKA Moscow
Sevilla - Porto - Looks like a really good match to me!
Rubin Kazan - Twente
Lille - PSV
Benfica - Stuttgart
BATE - PSG
Metalist Kharkiv - Bayer Leverkusen

There are some real stand out games in that Europe League draw.

Napoli and Villareal could be decent if Villareal decide to show up with a full strength team
Porto vs Sevilla even when you consider how bad Sevilla have been this season.
Benfica vs Stuttgart

The Portuguese teams weren't that lucky today.

Sporting will face Glasgow Rangers which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have a style of play very good against us (they're very strong and they play direct football). Besides, we're awfull this season, so let's see...

Braga will have no troubles beating Lech.

Benfica will face a tough opponent that is the penultimate team on Bundesliga but will probably get much better after signing some players.

Porto got one of the toughest teams to play against and I predict Porto will win because right now they're the only unbeatable European team and they have a really good team. Best games of the Round.

Bayern - Inter
Schalke - Valencia
Barcelona - Arsenal (I have a feeling Arsenal is going to get crushed :[)
Real - Lyon
Manchester - Marseille
Chelsea - Kopenhagen
Roma - Donezk
Tottenham - Milan

Obvious choices

good draw that.
and this weekend is key title decider already, chelsea lose to man utd on sunday they will be 6 points behind, and utd will have a game in hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)