The 2010-11 Football/Soccer Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Congrats to Chelsea on having the Premiership in the bag after only eight games. It seems like the glory days of Man Utd are coming to an end too. That might seem premature to some but I can't see them winning the league this season or even next season and certainly not the season after that (on account of the fact Giggs and Scholes will probably have retired by then).

Oh and it's not a 'blip' when it lasts 4 months, Wayne. Sort it out. -_-

hmm decent haul in fantasy even though my position didnt change :/

Arsenal escape a 3rd consecutive defeat, Van Der Sar gets a howler, Rooney sticks around on the bench, Chelsea get held, interesting week.

Now to see what will happen in Everton v Liverpool

United fans should just be thankful they dont have almunia or fabianski in the goal.
Yah i suppose he dsn't mess up like that all that often.I cant see what the problem is really.Manu isn't actually playing that bad...
AND....Liverpool stays in relegation and everyone gets a cookie =].

Van Der Sar doing that was the last thing I expected to be honest, but it was kinda funny seeing Man U struggling against West Brom at home. Looking forward for Liverpool vs. Everton :)

well people, liverpool are knee deep in shit now

everton 2-0 liverpool

so will this continue people? or will liverpool woes continue?

btw, fans are chanting for hodgson to be fired in the morning now, so what are your thoughts people? just curious

are they that deseperate for the 19th title.. they will get relegated to win a lower league one?
blackpool 2-3 man shi---- city
blackpool were the better side, they had one goal ruled out for offside (wasn't) and city had one allowed that was offside. shame really, blackpool beating man city would have been hilarious.

Liverpool is just lost. The players don't seem to know what they're doing. The best player ended up being Meireles but just because the others were too bad.

could be no merseyside derby next season.. liverpool get relegated.. everton not... tranmere doing rubbish in league 1 :(

The new teams are really giving everyone a run for their money, wouldn't be surprised to see three old teams all go down (which, realistically, won't include Liverpool)

^Yah it seems Manu's days are numberred as well as most of their signature players are getting far too old.
Chelsea has no competition this time really....
And i was surprised how well Blackpool played.It was a really refreshing match and i really enjoyed there attacking playstyle.But ofc Tevez kicked their ass <3.David Silva scored a amazing goal as well.

blackpool would have won if the descisions were correct... and tbh they deserved to do so :P
man utd are fine, one man does not maketh a team, unless you are liverpool :P

Ajax - Auxerre.

My preview of the CL poule match Ajax - Auxerre. Please tell me if this is a good preview.

SHAPE

Ajax won last weekend with 3-0 from NAC Breda. Jan Vertonghen scored with a good header after a corner the 1-0, Mounir El Hamdaoui got a perfect assist from Luis Suárez and scored with a beautiful lob. Half time: 2-0. At the end of the match, Luis Suárez scored 3-0 with an awesome free kick from 20 meter. Ajax is now at a great 2th spot in the Eredivisie and is doing well to achieve the goal of the season, reaching Champions League (#1 reaches CL, #2 in prerounds CL).

Auxerre lost at home from Girondins De Bordeaux with 0-1, Auxerre is 17th in the Ligue 1, very disappointing for a club with such good players.

STAR PLAYERS

Ajax
- Luis Suárez. He needs no introduction. Dangerous right winger annex shadow striker who is also good at keeping. A goalgetter and assist giver. He is a leader and is the team captain of Ajax.
- Maarten Stekelenburg. The goalkeeper of Ajax and the Dutch national team. Almost never makes a mistake and he keeped a bad playing Ajax to the CL against Dynamo Kiev.

Auxerre.
- Benoit Pedretti. A good defensive midfielder and the captain of Auxerre.
- Ireneusz Jelen. A goalgetter who scores a lot. The central striker. Last year, he made 18 goals in 32 games.

PREDICTED LINEUPS

Ajax

Playmaker Siem de Jong, reserve goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer, left back Vurnon Anita and left back Timothée Atouba are injured.

4-2-3-1

-----------------------El Hamdaoui-----------------
--Sulejmani-------------De Zeeuw----------Suárez--
----------------------Enoh--Lindgren---------------
--Emanuelsom--Vertonghen--Alderweireld--V/D Wiel--
----------------------Stekelenburg-----------------

Auxerre

Defender Jean-Paul Mignot, striker Anthony Le Tallec and Alexandre Licata are injured.

4-4-2

------------Jelen--------Oliech------------
--Birsa------Pedretti----Dudka-----Chafni--
--Grichting--Coulibaly--Berthod--Hengbart--
-------------------Sorin-------------------

PREDICTION

Ajax is in better shape than Auxerre and has slightly better players (Stekelenburg, Suárez etc.). But Auxerre isn't weak either. But Ajax is slightly better and Suárez will win the match for Ajax with a goal or assist.

Ajax - Auxerre 1-0
Suárez

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
While I agree that Man U doesnt have a great shot at winning a title next year and perhaps not this year, I think that there is to much concern for how aged their players are.

Man U (and Arsenal) have a different club structure than City and Chelsea, they don't just buy the best team they can get their hands on. Instead, there is a focus on developing home grown players from their youth that eventually reach starting positions or get sold/loaned at a profit to other clubs. This system theoretically should ensure that Man U continues to have a decent squad long after Berbs/giggs/scholes are done. So even though some of their players are getting old, they shouldn't have too hard a time finding replacements.

Ajax - Auxerre 2-1

Luis Suárez (right winger in Ajax, in Uruguay he's the second goalkeeper) scored 2-0 after a beautiful 1-0 from De Zeeuw (playmaker). In the second half, André Ooijer (central defender) got red and Virsa scored 2-1 from a free kick. Ajax was saved multiple times by goalkeeper Stekelenburg. In the last seconds, Oliech from Auxerre made a hand goal (like Maradona in 1986), got his second yellow card (red) and Auxerre was down to 10 players too. In the closing seconds, an Auxerre defender (Mignot) was preparing to substitute someone and got red for some reason.

Ajax didn't play well, but they worked hard. The win was not deserved, but it was an awesome match.

Ajax - Auxerre 2-1

Luis Suárez (right winger in Ajax, in Uruguay he's the second goalkeeper) scored 2-0 after a beautiful 1-0 from De Zeeuw (playmaker). In the second half, André Ooijer (central defender) got red and Virsa scored 2-1 from a free kick. Ajax was saved multiple times by goalkeeper Stekelenburg. In the last seconds, Oliech from Auxerre made a hand goal (like Maradona in 1986), got his second yellow card (red) and Auxerre was down to 10 players too. In the closing seconds, an Auxerre defender (Mignot) was preparing to substitute someone and got red for some reason.

Ajax didn't play well, but they worked hard. The win was not deserved, but it was an awesome match.
I haven't seen the 1-0 but the other 2 goals were great. The 2-0 was just a magnificent play between 5 Ajax players (I think) and Birsa's free kick is almost perfect.
I saw Real Madrid 2-0 AC Milan and I just wanna say this: Milan players should be grateful the game didn't end at 5 or 6-0 because Real crushed them.

united will be fine, we have had plenty of youth talent come through, isn't that where most of the team came from in the first place no?
cant stand chelsea or man citys buying everyone stratergy it spoils the game.

^So agreed >_>.And yah it was fun seeing Madrid rape shit ^.^.Now thats a club that can actually spend money wisely *Im looking at you Man City*.
So ive been hearing stuff like Rooney going to Madrid or City :O

Basically guys, money is everything in football (or soccer whatever). Trust me, clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United can't compete with rich clubs like Man City, Chelsea and even Real Madrid and Barcelona in the champions league. Deal with it.

Basically guys, money is everything in football (or soccer whatever). Trust me, clubs like Liverpool and Manchester United can't compete with rich clubs like Man City, Chelsea and even Real Madrid and Barcelona in the champions league. Deal with it.
So what the hell happened when United beat Chelsea in the CL in 2007-2008? Not to mention Man City isn't even in the CL, but I guess your claim is correct in this case since you can't compete with a club not in the league...

No, it isn't. Real Madrid spent almost 300 millions on one season and won nothing. Manchester City is the same thing.
Teams like Barcelona, Manchester United and Arsenal don't spend lots of money but they have magic. Watching these teams - especially Barça and Arsenal - playing is just amazing. Chelsea, City and Real Madrid couldn't match them. Now Real can match them (I think) because they have the best manager in the World - José Mourinho (Portugal's pride and joy).

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Man Utd haven't been producing great youth players for years now. The only current players in the squad who came through the academy are Jonny Evans, Ben Amos, Joe Dudgeon and Corry Evans. Hardly Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and the Nevilles is it? You fail to realise that money is not only huge in buying players, but also in developing them.

Man Utd haven't been producing great youth players for years now. The only current players in the squad who came through the academy are Jonny Evans, Ben Amos, Joe Dudgeon and Corry Evans. Hardly Giggs, Beckham, Scholes and the Nevilles is it? You fail to realise that money is not only huge in buying players, but also in developing them.
I haven't said they produced wonderkids. But Manchester has played very good football on the last seasons without spending tons of money like the other clubs.
Yes, I know money is very important to develop players. After all the club I support is Sporting CP who has a huge financial hole but still produces great players like Ronaldo, Figo, Simão, Moutinho, Veloso and Quaresma.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)