Team YOU DON'T NEED UUs TO WIN IN UU

TEAM YOU DON'T NEED UUs TO WIN IN UU

Introduction

The last RMT I made focused on abusing this thing that everyone in OU currently abuse called "VoltTurn". This next team I'm gonna showcase was made specifically for the #pokemon "No UU" challenge which I definitely won even though the rankings and stats weren't published (lazy ass kd24). I peaked at something like 1450 with this team, not exactly sure of what the exact number was but I do remember I got to #4 on the UU ladder which I guess is cool considering I didn't use a single UU Pokemon.

Lots of people think of me as a one-dimensional player when it comes to the UU tier. In DPP, I was seen as one of the better stall players, and I'm sure people thought similarly of my BW game. I just love the moves "Stealth Rock" and "Spikes". These two moves make it so much easier for teams to sweep, which is why I like stall teams, cause its so easy to set them up. This team, while utilizing the aformentioned hazards, focuses on "dual suicide leads" + one random as hell spinblocker + three great sweepers to hopefully win. Naturally, its never as easy as it sounds, but that's the team's goal. And before you guys say I played scrubs and shit on the ladder, I played some of the best BW UU players and had a good time thrashing them :P

Anyway, that's enough of an introduction. I'm sure you guys want to see what crazy ass RU Pokemon I used to get pretty high on the UU ladder, so without further ado here you go. Since I'm quitting in a few months, I thought it was fitting that my last post in the RMT forum covers my favorite tier across the two generations I've been playing Pokemon: UNDERUSED!

The Team

Accelgor (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 156 HP / 100 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit
- Yawn

Part one of the suicide lead core. Accelgor is responsible for putting up the ever important Spikes on this kind of team. When I see that Spikes aren't useful in helping my three offensive behemoths sweep, I opt for Final Gambit or Bug Buzz. Final Gambit is pretty damn helpful because of Accelgor's great speed in taking out problematic Pokemon. Yawn is pretty much a filler move because Accelgor's support movepool is quite limited. I could go for a Hidden Power type over Yawn but you'd be surprised at how many switches Yawn forces. It's great when Chandelure comes in, I yawn as they Substitute, and then I get another free layer of hazards out. Other than that, pretty much a useless Pokemon defensively.

Aerodactyl (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Taunt

Part two of the suicide lead core. Aerodactyl is probably the Pokemon I lead most games with. Just like in DPP, its job is simple: get Stealth Rock up while preventing opposing teams from getting rocks up so Accelgor can come in and usually get two layers out. Stone Edge and Earthquake are entirely coverage moves. Although Aerodactyl has a lackluster attack stat, both moves pack quite a punch. Sometimes Aero is still alive late-game and can take out an opposing team's Raikou or Chandelure. But yeah, I play both Aerodactyl and Accelgor quite recklessly. They have specific jobs and pretty much die after accomplishing those set jobs. Nothing much else to say here.

Rotom @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball
- Pain Split

Ahh, DPP UU's premier spin-blocker returns without the need of Eviolite to do exactly what it does best - spin block every common spinner in UU. Yes, you are seeing the GHOST / ELECTRIC ROTOM, I didn't make a mistake. This isn't Rotom-C. Hitmontop and Blastoise succumb to this thing quite easily. Cryonogal can be a problem but luckily you don't see that in UU much. If Hitmontop decides to Foresight, it's usually crippled by a Will-O-Wisp which takes it out of commission. Blastoise Scalds do like 35% on average, meaning I can easily Pain Split as Blastoise switches out fearing an Electric attack and the incoming Pokemon takes entry-hazard damage. Pretty much every physical attacker in UU has trouble with Rotom. Will-O-Wisp is such an awesome move that scares away opposing Cobalion and Kingdra. Heracross can be annoying, but they usually Pursuit which means I can Pain Split and Thunderbolt them, thus coming out on top. It's as good as it was in DPP UU ladies and gentleman, try it out.

Hitmonlee (M) @ Normal Gem
Trait: Unburden
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Rapid Spin

Now we're getting to the offensive core of the team. Ironically, two of the three Pokemon I'm going to describe have Unburden as an ability (this team really likes pairs of two's). Hitmonlee starts things off as being one of the best physical sweepers in UU. Once you get a speed boost via Unburden, this shit wrecks almost anything bar really defensive ghosts like Spiritomb and Cofagrius. Close Combat dents almost every physical wall in UU for at least 40%. With a combination of Spikes and Stealth Rock, lots of 3HKO's turn into 2HKOs. I often don't use Rapid Spin, but its a nice filler that a lot of people forget Hitmonlee gets, which is especially useful against heavy stall teams, where the Unburden speed boost is useless because I'm already faster than all of the opposing team's Pokemon. Fake Out is the key of the set, being able to cause a 1-time flinch AND double Hitmonlee's speed. From there on, Stone Edge and Close Combat annihilate tons of the tier.

Sceptile (M) @ Flight Gem
Trait: Unburden
- Swords Dance
- Acrobatics
- Leaf Blade
- Earthquake

The second of the Unburden users, and also second of my team of physical menaces is Sceptile. My favorite Pokemon on the team, Sceptile usually single-handedly wins games. Come in on one of the bulky waters in the tier, use Swords Dance as they switch to some specially defensive Pokemon, get nailed by a boosted Acrobatics, and then get swept because I'm faster than the entire opposing team. If Hitmonlee is unsuccessful in sweeping, Sceptile usually finishes the job. The moveset is quite simple: Leaf Blade for obvious STAB and for the annoying Grass-types in the tier, Acrobatics gets the Grass-types like Shaymin that think they can wall you (also gets Heracross which is absolutely AWESOME), and Earthquake for the Fire-types, and also for Cobalion and Registeel that think they can stop you from winning. This is a VERY VERY VERY underrated set, if there's one thing you take away from this RMT, it should be this Pokemon. You won't be disappointed!

Sharpedo (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Speed Boost
- Protect
- Waterfall
- Crunch
- Earthquake

Last, but certainly not least, is Sharpedo, the last of the three menacing sweepers. Other teams that have been posted have attested to the power of this Pokemon, so I won't go too in-depth, but I'd like to say all this Sharpedo love probably started because of me :P. It's a great cleaner. When you overload an opposing team's physical walls, it makes Sharpedo's clean-up job very simple. Sharpedo is also the team's only way of handling Taunt + WoW Mew, which is annoying considering I run pretty much all physical Pokemon. It has great STAB moves in Waterfall and Crunch, each with extremely beneficial secondary effects. Speed Boost is the absolute crux of Sharpedo's success, with Protect allowing for that instant boost. Sharpedo dismantles the majority of the top used Pokemon in both UU and OU. God knows why this thing is RU, it's ridiculously strong and deserves way more love.

Conclusion

So yeah, I figure this was a bit rushed but I promised some people I'd get to RMTing this eventually and here it is. Obviously has many many many flaws but it was extremely fun to use and got me very high on the leaderboard which was a plus. If you're gonna suggest changes remember it's an RU team for UU so keep that in mind. Other than that, peace out, it's been real. Also, GO PLAY UU! Oh and luvdisc if you like, of course :D

Not much to say, great team. I like the use of incredible speed and under-under used pokes. One quick thing I notice is that Frustration on Hitmonlee can be very beneficial for when you don't want to use Close Combat. I know it's a tough choice between that and Rapid Spin, but it is a possibility.

I am really surprised with the team and what it did accomplish , seeing as the no UU challenge was a really really hard challenge and i couldn't come with anything that could break through the 1200 mark lol .

Simple but effective , I don't see how you can do better with RU/NU mons ..

good job man .. I'm impressed :d

Nice team. Now try to make a team for OU with no OU Pokemon :P
jk. I don't really have much to say about this team as I can't see any major weaknesses. Great team and congrats on breaking 1400 with this team :]

Psychotic

Banned deucer.
Very cool team, but as you can probably attest to, this team is utterly DESTROYED by opposing Sharpedo. If you want to stick with the no UU pokemon route, I would recommend replacing Accelgor with Qwilfish, Scolipede, or Ferroseed. All of these pokes can take a hit from Sharpedo, as well as be able to still set up your Spikes, which are critical for your team to function. Other than that though, this team is awesome, and gets a Luvdisc for using my favorite Sceptile set ever.

Thanks for the comments and luvdiscs guys. I'll try out Frustration when I'm messing with the team on the ladder on Hitmonlee, thanks Godsend. I never really used Rapid Spin much anyway because the games usually finish very quickly.

Opposing Sharpedo are usually dealt with via my own, just have to get +1 before they do or get lucky with a speed-tie. I agree, not the most ideal situation, but at least its a plan nonetheless. Qwilfish is an interesting substitute for Accelgor, as it would provide me a more bulky Pokemon that still accomplishes what I need it to. Appreciate the suggestion, will test out!

Frustration is also good for activating Unburden if something Protects on the Fake Out or if the opponent already has a sub up. It's just a thought. Again, great team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)