Team Schwarzenegger!

Introduction //

Guten Tag, Smogon! It's been a few months since I posted my first RMT on this site, and since I got such excellent advice from all you sexy people, I've decided to post another! ;D

For those of you that know me, you know that I'm mainly an NU and UU battler. While NU will always be my favourite format, I would like to try my hand at 4th generation ubers before 5th generation is released in North America.

So this is my FIRST ubers team, so please bear with me if there are noticable flaws. I probably need all the help I can get with this, so I'm hoping that with the help of you wonderful folks, we can turn this team into a real powerhouse, and just in time for the new Smogon ladder on Pokémon Online. ;)

Team Building Process //

Generally speaking, I prefer using weather based teams. I run Rain Dance in UU and my favourite team ever to play is NU Sandstorm. Ubers has two awesome auto-weather Pokémon in the form of Groudon and Kyogre. So with that in mind....I decided to do something COMPLETELY different and NOT make a weather based team! OH SNAP. Judging by the name of this RMT, I'm sure you can tell that it's not a stall team, but a team full of Schwarzeneggers (heavy hitters).

Generally when I build teams, I start with a lead, and since this is ubers, I plan to take advantage of all the toys I don't usually get to play with, so I went with the game's fastest spiker, Deoxys-S to fill that role.

Next I decided to add a Pokémon who can lay down Stealth Rock (since I personally don't like putting all my hazards on my lead in case something goes wrong), spread paralysis, and switch into a bunch of attack types and respond with a strong STAB move. Support Dialga filled all these roles.

Now it's time to get some firepower on the team. I wanted a someone that could hit like a mack truck right off the bat, no set-up required. Something that almost nothing could switch into without getting smacked in the face. Who better than Choice Specs Kyogre with its rain-boosted, STAB Water Spout to fill this role?

Backing up Kyogre, I decided on Calm Mind Latias as a set-up sweeper. She resists grass and electric attacks that threaten Kyogre, not to mention being a great switch in against opposing ones, so she's in. I couldn't find an animated sprite for Latias, if anyone has one and hooks it up, they get a special mention and a cookie!

So far I think the team is looking pretty solid, but it is lacking a revenge killer. Here is the spot where I need the most help, as I'm really torn about whom to use. At first I was thinking of Choice Scarf Palkia in this spot as it provides that useful dragon STAB, and gets a boost from Kyogre's rain. However recently I've had a change of heart and switched Palkia for Choice Band Scizor since I already have two dragons, but only one steel. Scizor also gives me priority, scouting, and trapping abilities, so he gets the nod.

Now with one slot left, I have to choose carefully, as there are so many awesome Pokémon I would love to use. Can't I just have a team of 10, pleeeease? =P I guess that would be unfair, so I'll have to make a choice. Since I've never made an ubers team before, and this certain Pokémon only became available recently, I feel compelled to use it. The last spot on the team goes to the god of Pokémon himself, Arceus.

Since this team is based around a lot of heavy hitters, and big time action stars, I decided to base the team name as well as all the Pokémon names around the greatest action hero of all time. Without further ado, I am proud to present to you...

- Team Schwarzenegger -

Deoxys-S (Running Man) @

Ability: Pressure

Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spe
-Spikes
-Taunt
-Extremespeed
-Ice Beam

So here we have the lead for the team. Deoxys-S is the fastest Pokémon and therefore the fastest spiker in the game. Its goal is to lay down as many quick layers as it can before going down. With its blistering speed, it also makes an excellent user of Taunt, able to shut down all slower leads to hopefully keep hazards off my side of the field. Extremespeed is a nice priority attack, able to pick off Focus Sashes and such, and is standard fare on lead Deoxys. Now, due to personal preference, I dislike running all my entry hazards on my lead. If something goes wrong, I don't want to be stuck only getting rocks or only getting spikes up. By dropping Stealth Rock, this allows me to run Ice Beam, which enables me to reliably beat up on Rayquaza leads, as Ice Beam gets them down to the Sash and then Extremespeed finishes them next turn. Also if I manage to keep Deoxys-S alive, I now have an additional check for Dragon Dance Rayquaza.
The EVs and nature are pretty standard, max speed and Jolly nature are to outrun everything that isn't scarfed, and even some things that are, and to at worst risk a speed tie against other Deoxys-S leads to see who Taunts first. Max HP is to give the frail Deoxys-S sume bulk to actually live a hit, and the rest in defence to take other Extremespeeds a little easier. Focus Sash allows me to usually get at least two layers of Spikes if I want, or beat certain leads like Rayquaza.

Possible changes: I can't think of anything to change.
Previous changes: I put the attack EVs into HP, changed the nature to Timid, changed Lum Berry to Focus Sash, and dropped Superpower for Ice Beam.

Nickname: I named Deoxys-S after 1986's The Running Man in which convicts can win their freedom by participating in a deadly game show in which they can win their freedom if they can defeat the murderous stalkers on a deadly battlefield. Deoxys-S is the fastest Pokémon, I figure the title says it all. ;P

Dialga (Total Recall) @

Ability: Pressure

Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/140 SpA/116 SpD
-Stealth Rock
-Thunder Wave
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower

Next up is the steel dragon from space, Dialga. As I mentioned in the previous description, I wanted my spikes and my rocks to come from two different sources. I wanted something that could take a hit, but could also dish one out too. I figured it was basically down to Groudon or Dialga, but in the end, Dialga's multitude of resistances won out. Stealth Rock is obvious in the first slot for the aforementioned reasons. Next up is Thunder Wave. I don't have any other reliable status moves on my team, Thunder Wave is pretty useful. Dialga spreads paralysis to give my sweepers and easier job of, well... sweeping. Draco Meteor is my STAB attack, which can deal massive damage coming off that huge base 150 special attack stat. In the last slot is Flamethrower to roast the steel types that resist dragon moves. For the EVs and nature, I've got max HP, and then divided the rest between special attack dish out hits, and special defence to take them. Modest nature to boost my already sky high special attack, and Leftovers are pretty standard on a support Pokémon.

Possible changes: I was considering dropping Thunder Wave for Toxic so that Dialga could double as a wall-breaker, but I think on a fairly offensive team such as this that Thunder Wave is the superior choice. However, feel free to correct me if this is wrong! I am going to test out support Groudon in this spot with a moveset of Earthquake/Stealth Rock/Thunder Wave/Stone Edge. Thoughts?!

Nickname: I named Dialga after 1990's futuristic thriller Total Recall in which Arnold Schwarzenegger plays a construction worker who is actually a government agent suffering from amnesia, and the secret behind his memory loss lies on the planet of Mars. Dialga looks like it came from outer space, so that's that.

Kyogre (Terminator) @

Ability: Drizzle

EVs: 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Water Spout
-Surf
-Thunder
-Ice Beam

Here we have the team's first powerhouse. Kyogre boasts a massive base 150 special attack, as well as the strongest water type move in the game. Water Spout boosted by STAB, Specs, and Drizzle is going to hit anything that switches into like like a fucking truck (except Quagsire, but like.. lol) so there really is no great switch-in for your opponent. Eventually Kyogre is going to take some damage, which will decrease Water Spout's effectiveness. For these stuations Kyogre is packing a secondary STAB move in Surf. Thunder hits enemy Kyogres super effectively, and is also your strongest attack against Palkia, one of Kyogre's best counters with its quadruple resistance to water. The rain makes Thunder 100% accurate, and the 30% paralysis chance is a nice bonus, especially if you nail something like a Choice Scarf user. Ice Beam in the last slot to get a nice hit on Lati@s, Giratina, and the like, as well as murdering Rayquaza and Garchomp.

Possible changes: I'm open to running a different Kyogre set, if it would better suit the team, but if I stick with Specs then the set is perfect I think.

Nickname: I named Kyogre after the 1984 classic The Terminator. I know Kyogre doesn't look like a robot or anything, but with a super powerful Water Spout in its arsenal, it sure as hell can terminate things.

Latias (Commando) @

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 112 HP/204 SpA/192 Spe
-Calm Mind
-Recover
-Dragon Pulse
-Thunder

Latias is my set-up sweeper. She can easily switch in on a resisted or immune attack, and set up a Calm Mind on the switch. Calm Mind boosts both her special attack and special defence, meaning that her ability to take hits grows with her ability to dish them out. Recover is there to heal off damage taken while boosting up. Dragon Pulse is the STAB attack of choice here, dealing solid damage with excellent accuracy. Thunder is the second attack. It murders Kyogre, Lugia, and Ho-oh, and allows Latias to not be walled by steel types. I chose this spread to give Latias a nice mixture of bulk, offensive power, and speed, and a Timid nature to further help in the speed department. Soul Dew is the obvious item, as a 50% boost to both special stats is insane, especially on a Calm Mind set.

Possible changes: I can't see any changes to be made.
Previous changes: I dropped Grass Knot for Thunder.

Nickname: I named Latias after the 1985 film Commando. In this movie Arnold plays a military special agent who is the best at what he does... getting kills. However, Latias is female, so I'm basing her name off the badass chick that Arnold meets in the film who helps him steal a plane and flies him to the bad guys' island.

Scizor (Predator) @

Ability: Technician

Nature: Adamant
EVs: 200 HP/56 Atk/252 SpD
-Bullet Punch
-Pursuit
-U-Turn
-Superpower

Next up is the team's revenge killer. I was flipping a coin here between this and Scarf Palkia, and in the end I went with Scizor, simply because he's one of my favourite Pokémon, and has been since the first time I played through Silver on my Game Boy Color. Scizor's moves provide a lot of assets to the team. Bullet Punch is his main STAB, getting a nice Technician boost as well as having a +1 priority which makes him a deadly revenge killer. This couples nicely with his next move, Pursuit. These two moves together can force your opponent into some serious mind games. Do they switch and risk eating a powered up Pursuit, or do they stay in and take the chance of getting Bullet Punched in the face before they can act. U-Turn is the second STAB move, and it also happens to be (in my opinion, anyway) the best damaging attack in the game. With this move, Scizor gains me tempo advantage by allowing me to switch after my opponent, so I can always bring in the best counter for the situation at hand. Finally, I have Superpower to beat the shit out of Blissey, Dialga, and the like. I went with the bulier EV spread over the more powerful one, as Scizor only has one weakness but a truckload of resistances, so a bulkier set gives him far more chances to switch in. Adamant nature and Choice Band to boost his base 130 attack even higher.

Possible changes: I'm considering testing Toxic over Superpower to beat Lugia, but then my team loses a Blissey check, so this change would only be made if I drop Dialga for Groudon.

Nickname: I named Scizor after 1987's hit Predator. I'm sure someone out there has to agree with me that Scizor reminds them at least a little of Predator. He is a mighty hunter, striking without warning.

Arceus (End of Days) @

Ability: Multitype

Nature: Jolly
EVs: 100 HP/100 Atk/100 Def/100 SpD/100 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Extremespeed
-Shadow Claw
-Earthquake

Last, but most certainly not least is Arceus, the one and only Poké-God himself. Arceus is my late-game cleaner. I try my best not to reveal Arceus until I've seen my opponents whole team, and they've taken some hits. Once the end-game arrives, out comes Arceus, and after one quick turn of set-up, he proceeds to sweep the remnants of my opponent's team. For this reason, I chose to use Normal Arceus, so I can make use of Swords Dance and STAB Extremespeed. Those two moves are a given. Next is Shadow Claw, because it's super effective against the ghosts that are immune to Extremespeed. Finally I have Earthquake to smash the steel types that resist my first two attacks. There isn't much to explain about the EVs, you can only put 100 per stat with Arceus, so I put 100 in each stat that matters. Jolly nature (even though I have Extremespeed) because this team usually has a good chance of getting both rocks and at least one layer of spikes down, so the power lost from Adamant to Jolly isn't as important as the speed that is gained. Normal Arceus means I don't have to use a plate, so I went with Life Orb to obtain as much power as possible since I can only use 100 attack EVs.

Possible changes: Technically with Arceus, the possibilities are endless. I was strongly considering Recover in the last slot, as some instant recovery would be nice on a bulky Pokémon like Arceus, but then I'd have to be absolutely sure all the steel types have been eliminated before I can attempt the sweep. Now that I'm running Life Orb, I'm really stuck on whether or not to run Recover to combat the recoil? But I can't bring myself to give up the coverage that 3 attacks provides. Thoughts?!
Previous changes: I dropped Leftovers for Life Orb.

Nickname: I named Arceus after the 1999 movie End of Days. I chose this name because End of Days is about the final battle at the turn of the century between good and evil. Satan has appeared in New York, and it's up to none other than Schwarzenegger to stop him. I figured this was a pretty fitting nickname, what with Arceus being God and all.

Conclusion //

Well everyone, there it is. I really hope I get a lot of suggestions, because this shit took me about four and a half hours to write up. Hopefully all of you have enjoyed it, I tried to make the presentation as pleasing as possible. So feel free to rate, offer suggestions, even try it out if you so please! All constructive criticism is appreciated! If something sucks, don't just tell me it sucks, tell me why and how to fix it! Remember, while I may know what I'm doing in the other tiers, I'm still new to ubers! =) So with that, I'll send my best regards to all of you out there, and thanks in advance for the great advice I'm sure I'll receive! Cheers! :pimp:

PS. I made the little icon for the post a face with shades on, so it looks kind of like the Terminator. Yes, that's how much I pay attention to even the smallest details. ;D

Run Life orb on arceus as the power is needed while the bulk can't do anything. This will allow for notable KOs. Go thunder over GK on latias to deal with steel types which will cause trouble to latias. I'd run focus sash over lum on deo as it can't survive some powerful hits otherwise (like from kyogre and run 252HP EVs so it avoids many 2HKOs. Dedication to beat darkrai leads is just not necessary.

Hey, nice team. Great presentation.

First off, I would replace Superpower with Ice Beam on Deoxys, as your team has trouble with Rayquaza (which Deoxys outspeeds even after a Dragon Dance ^_^) and Tyranitar is dealed with by Scizor and Kyogre. Dialga also gives your team a lot of trouble, so I would replace Grass Knot with Roar on Latias. Dragon Pulse hits everything but steels which GK doesn't hit anyway so Roar is a good way to phaze Dialga then you can beat it one-on-one with Arceus or MAYBE Scizor.

Sorry but that's the only thing I can suggest right now, I don't see any other problems; nice job! Good Team and Good Luck.

Danmire

its okay.
is an Artist Alumnus
Next up is the steel dragon from space, Dialga.
WHAT.

Anywho Juice, I'm really liking this team you got here ^^. I can't find a lot of problems on this, mainly because it looks like a standard Uber team. I have to agree with replacing Superpower with Ice Beam. Scizor laughs at Darkrai, so it's best to use Ice Beam, in-case of in-coming Rayquazas.

I can't find a lot of threats on this team, it seems really good, and I'll play test it with you in a few ;)

@ calze6: Thanks for the comment! I'm going to go ahead and switch Grass Knot for Thunder on Latias, since I still beat Kyogre and now won't be walled by steels. I used to have Sash on Deoxys, and I kept switching between that and Lum, but if my Darkrai beating obsession is overkill, I'll switch back to Sash. The attack EVs were mainly for Superpower, but since I'm no longer staying in on Darkrai, I'll put them into HP. Now, my main question is this. I like the idea of Life Orb on Arceus, so should I be dropping a move for Recover to counteract the recoil, or is the coverage more important? Thanks again! =)

@ -Charmander-: Thanks for the comment and such, buddy! ^_^ I actually really like the idea of Ice Beam on Deoxys, that way I can beat lead Rayquaza too, especially since I'm switching back to Focus Sash. My only question is, which nature should I run then, as I won't want anything that lowers attack or special attack? I'll test out Roar on Latias too, but I think with Thunder I can still deal with Dialga alright, as once it's paralyzed stuff like Scizor can just come in and smash it.

@ Danmire: Thanks for the rate, bro! ^_^ The more I hear it, the more I like Ice Beam over Superpower, so I'm gonna make that change. Same question though, which nature should I then run, as obviously I don't want Jolly lowering my special attack. I'll message you later this weekend for some playtesting! ;D

Thanks for all the comments so far everyone, keep 'em coming! Cheers! =)

Lead Deoxys-S should never use Attack EVs; it's just listed like that onsite because the analysis is incredibly old. Just run Timid with 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe, as it will always benefit you more than putting the EVs into Attack, such as sponging weak priority moves or the occasional Shadow Ball from opposing Deoxys-S. Speaking of which, you can always try Shadow Ball over Ice Beam if you hate losing the speed tie and being hit with Taunt from other Deoxys-S. You can just Shadow Ball twice and follow it up with an Extremespeed as they Taunt, which would limit them to just one layer of hazard. Ice Beam works fine too though.

Because you're a bit weak to opposing Swords Dance Arceus (and by extension, similar physical threats like Rayquaza, Garchomp), as well as Ho-Oh to a great extent, a suitable alternative over Dialga would be Groudon. It can set up Stealth Rock and spread paralysis just as well, but Groudon would really shield you against these problematic Pokemon far better. Although it's not the best counter for SD Arceus, it can take a hit and deal good damage with Earthquake, or it can paralyze Arceus, making it easier to revenge kill for something like Scizor. It can also counter all physical forms of Rayquaza and Garchomp, and with Stone Edge, Groudon is probably the best answer for Ho-Oh in the game. You can choose to run the listed 4 EVs, but I personally like to run more (around 36 EVs) to beat other bulky Base 90s, but that's pretty situational and simply a preference.

Groudon @ Leftovers
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Impish nature (+Def, -SpA)
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Other than that, I basically agree with everything else that's been said. Focus Sash on Deoxys-S and Thunder on Latias are a must, so definitely switch those. Lugia can be a bit of an issue if Kyogre goes down too early, so you can consider Toxic over Superpower on Scizor. Although locking yourself onto status move is generally a really bad idea, it can be quite useful to cripple Lugia and open up an Arceus sweep. Plus, you already have plenty of ways of smacking Blissey around, making Superpower somewhat unnecessary.

Well just a short answer to the nature thing but I guess there are two viable answers.

[box]

Deoxys-S @ Focus Sash / Lum Berry
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
EVs: 52 HP / 204 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Extremespeed / Stealth Rock
[/box]

So there are really two ways to go with this. The red route beats Rayquaza holding Focus Sash, while the blue route beats the less common Lum Berry version, but give you an extra slot for Stealth Rock so Dialga can have a free move. The red EVs are for max speed and bulk, and allows you to always OHKO Rayquaza with Ice Beam + Extremespeed (even with a Timid nature). The blue version lacks Extremespeed so 204 SpA EVs are necissary to always beat Lum or LO Rayquaza leads. Lum Berry is better for that as you still rape rayquaza, it's less predictable, and can set up SR on Darkrai before you're put to sleep again.

Good Luck Juice!

OPENING POST HAS BEEN UPDATED TO REFLECT SEVERAL OF THE SUGGESTED CHANGES.

@ Iconic: Thank you for the comment! I've changed Deoxys's EV spread, item, and nature accordingly, and got Thunder on Latias. I actually really like the idea of a Groudon, but my question is this: If I use Groudon, then I have both sun and rain on my team, so if I have to send Latias out while I'm sunny, it basically only has 3 moves as Thunder will only have 50% accuracy. Does this situation actually occur often enough to matter or am I just being paranoid? =)

@ -Charmander-: Thanks for coming back! I went with the first set, since as I mentioned in my post, I get uncomfortable putting all my hazards on my lead, so I'd rather run Extremespeed on Deoxys and keep rocks on Dialga. =)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)