Team FlareBlitz: UU RMT

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Hello Smogon. This is my first post here, even though I'm fairly active on Shoddybattle (ign is the same as my forum ID/team name). I've been using this Bulky Offensive UU team for the past few months and am currently around number 18 on the ladder. I've been lurking on these forums for a while, and I decided to join today, and the first thing I wanted to do was post my team for all to see.
WARNING: This is going to be a very long and thorough RMT!

Without further delay...

Clefable (F) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP/116 Atk/140 Def
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Wish
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
- Facade
---
Why this Pokemon?
I wanted a lead that was bulky, could set up stealth rock, but still had the option to hit other frail leads very hard. Additionally, it had to have the ability to deal with Ampibom's Fake Out antics and couldn't be crippled by status. After experimenting with various leads that met some but not all of the above criteria, I finally turned my original stallbreak Clefable into a lead with my own specific EVs and moveset. It performs admirably against common UU leads, as I will outline in the threat list later on.
Why this set? The EVs are very precise; after lots of tinkering, I settled on these EVs as a balance of offense and defense. These EVs allow Clefable to ohko 4/0 Roserade after Stealth Rock, and 2hko very physically defensive ones. They allow it to do over 50% to the standard Yanmega, and Yanmega's LO bug buzz does not 2hko (I used to run more s.def to prevent SpecsMega from 2hko'ing, but with it very likely to be banned soon, I moved them into attack to nab the kill on Roserade). Facade also 2hkos Electrode, Ampibom, and all other frail leads, while the defensive EVs prevent most of them from 2hkoing back.
Bulky status leads and scarf sleepers are handled by protecting first to activate toxic orb, setting up rocks and seeing what they switch to. Protect is also useful to scouting choice attacks from the likes of Moltres, Primeape, Honchkrow and others.
Later on in the match Clefable serves as a reasonably effective mixed wall, status absorber and wish passer, which is particularly useful against stall teams (as I need wish to mitigate the impact of entry hazards).
Changes I'm considering: I'm thinking about making Clefable a little bulkier so it can switch in with greater impunity, but I really like the ability to ohko Roserade and especially the 2hko on Yanmega, so I suppose I'll wait to see how the metagame changes after the dragonfly is banned.

Arcanine (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Extremespeed
- Flare Blitz
- Thunder Fang
- Reversal
---
Why this Pokemon?
First, the silly reason: Arcanine is my favorite Pokemon, and all of my teams have some version of it. Next, the more important/relevant reason: Arcanine provides an invaluable Fire and Will-o-Wisp immunity on this team, a factor which has won me more games than I can list. One of the players who I regularly face on the UU ladder told me that she experiences an "Oh Shit" moment every time she sees "Arcanine's Flash Fire has raised its fire power!", and for good reason. With a Flash Fire boost, Arcanine's power is absolutely insane. Pokemon who would normally wall Arcanine without a second thought, like Milotic, Altaria and Weezing, are easily 2hko'd (ohko'd in Weezing's case) and anything that does not resist fire will simply die. In my experience, the only common Pokemon that can avoid a 2hko from Flare Blitz after an FF boost are Regirock, Slowbro (who is BARELY not 2hko'd after SR, and if it has taken some minor residual damage, is as good as dead) and the Rock/Water quad resists (in addition, obviously, to other Flash Fire pokemon). And even without a Flash Fire boost, Arcanine's repitore of CB attacks are really nothing to smirk at.
Why this set? The EVs are pretty straightforward. I originally had a bulkier EV set to take FB recoil better, but after getting outsped by a Milotic I decided to just stick with max speed. I'm running Adamant because the 2hko's and ohko's mentioned above do not happen otherwise.
Extremespeed is a very strong priority attack. It lets me kill Swellow and other frail sweepers, and also helps it kill a weakened Azumarill before it can Aqua Jet me. Flare Blitz is obvious STAB. Thunder Fang catches bulky waters on the switch, 2hkoing the most common one (Milotic). Reversal might seem really strange, but there are a few reasons I have it on this set. 1) Arcanine doesn't get anything else worth using except like, Crunch and Iron Head, both of which are relatively useless 2) Between SR damage and FB recoil, Arcanine reaches low health pretty quickly. If it's at 20% or below, which it usually ends up being, I get access to a strong attack that allows me to hit things like Regirock and Omastar very hard. That's worth a slot in my opinion.
Changes I'm considering: Not much. This set is about as streamlined as I can get it. I might reconsider running a slightly bulkier set, but that's about it.

Magneton @ Leftovers
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 152 HP/104 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Fire]/
Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magnet Rise
- Thunderbolt/
Charge Beam
---
Why this Pokemon?
Magneton is my steel-trapper. Or, to put it more accurately, my Registeel trapper. It keeps Registeel from running away due to Magnet Pull and the set is focused on rendering it completely helpless and killing it. It may seem strange having a Poke dedicated to killing Registeel when half my team ohkos or 2hkos it, but trust me, that thing is a major pain in the ass and its death will be celebrated by everything on my team, even things that can kill it, as they can use their coverage attacks more freely. Magneton checks Milotic, outspeeding 8 speed variations and 2hkoing with Thunderbolt. It checks Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega if locked into Air Slash, as it is not 2hkod. It also ohkos Slowbro and, from behind a sub, most of the fire types that like to switch in on it.
Why this set? The EVs are tailored to outrun most defensive milotic and other low speed base 80ish pokes while still giving Magneton lots of defensive bulk and offensive power.
Substitute lets Magneton avoid Twave from Registeel (and helps it scout for counters against something it'll force out), and Magnet Rise helps it avoid Earthquakes from Registeel, Donphan, Steelix, etc. The last two moves are still variable right now, and the only significant changes I've been considering to this team. Right now I'm running Tbolt and HP fire. This allows me to hit Roar Steelix really hard before it forces me out (doing over 60% to the standard version) and kill non-curse Registeel effectively. Tbolt can serve a strong STAB attack that I can use to kill Magneton's fiery switchins while safely behind a sub, while also giving it the ability to kill bulky waters easily. However, this set has some trouble with curse Registeel; while on average Tbolt will crit and let me kill it, there are some occasions where it will not crit or where it will crit and do a very low damage roll and allow Registeel to simply rest again. Additionally, HP fire is a poor coverage option compared to HP ice, as Donphan is only 4hko'd by it and so can do its support thing and switch out without dying. Altaria also walls me and forces me out with Perish Song, and Torterra is not ohko'd (defensive versions aren't even 2hko'd). However, I absolutely NEED HP Fire if I don't want to get PP stalled by Curse Registeel. This brings me to the alternate set I'm considering. Replacing Tbolt with Charge Beam and HP Fire with Ice would allow me to very easily beat Curse Registeel and, what's more, possibly have a +4 or +6 Magneton sitting happily behind a sub, ready to kill whatever comes out next. Additionally, HP ice's superior coverage would help me out a great deal. The disadvantage however is that I will no longer have a strong STAB option in emergencies (Charge Beam is as weak as a not-very-effective Tbolt) and while this may seem minor it can, and has, easily lose me matches.
Changes I'm considering: Are outlined above.

Hitmontop (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- Pursuit
---
Why this Pokemon?
Hitmontop has access to Technician, strong priority options, a powerful STAB move, and pursuit. No other Pokemon in UU has that. Hitmontop is also much, much bulkier than every other fighting type (with the exception of Hariyama, who I used to run in this slot) allowing it to take hits as effectively as it can dish them out. The sheer power of Hitmontop's CB boosted attacks and its ability to take powerful hits should not be underestimated.
Why this set? The EVs are straightforward. Speed EVs are wasted on such a priority-oriented Pokemon, so I put them all into HP to augment Hitmontop's impressive defenses.
Choice Band is used over the more common Life orb for the increased survivability and power, both of which comes in very handy because Hitmontop is my primary Rain Dance team check. It 2hkos or ohkos every commonly used swift swimmer except Qwilfish, and has the defenses to take one unboosted water attack in the rain. It can even take +2 Max attack adamant Kabutops Aqua Jet in the rain and still have plenty of HP to spare, and ohkos back with mach punch. Additionally, Hitmontop functions as my secondary check against fast, frail sweepers. It's also reasonably effective at countering 4/0 DD Feraligatar, as it 2hkos LO variations after SR and one round of LO damage, while surviving +1 LO waterfall.
Ultimately, this set is geared to work like Scizor-lite, as Scizor is one of my favorite Pokemon, and it fills the same niches that Scizor fills in OU (except the unfortunate lack of U-turn).
Changes I'm considering: I might replace Bullet Punch with Rapid Spin, but I really appreciate the ability to 2hko Mismagius with BP, as well as the ability to finish weakened Yanmegas and other fighting resists, and 2hko Roserades and Toxicroaks.

Sceptile (M) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 4 Def/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast
---
Why this Pokemon?
Sceptile is tied with Dugtrio for the title of 3rd fastest UU pokemon, and unlike Dugtrio it actually has a decent offensive stats and extremely powerful offensive moves. Sceptile checks Specs Tinted Lens Yanmega with the ability to outspeed and ohko it, and is my first line of defense against CroBro (Leaf Storm ohkos even after 2 CMs!). I wanted a strong, fast attacker to dismantle offensive UU teams and slower set up sweepers, and Sceptile was the best possible choice for that.
Why this set? Choice Specs gives Sceptile insane power, rivaling that of SpecsLatias' Draco Meteor (except with a shitty grass type STAB). It also gives it the necessary boost to score some crucial KOs, such as the one on +2 Slowbro mentioned above, as well as the 2hko on Weezing, Toxicroak, and offensive Drapion. Choice Specs Focus Blast 2hko Chansey and Registeel, which is indescribably useful when facing a stall team. It also does massive damage to other less used special walls (Regice, Clefable, LickyLicky) 2hkoing all of them. HP Ice is there for coverage against Altaria (ohko) and other grass types (Venusaur, Roserade, Tangrowth and Leafeon are all 2hkod). Dragon Pulse is stronger as a neutral attack than HP Ice, and does decent damage to any non-steel switch. This prevents my opponent from switching around resists on me. It is also my strongest attack against Moltres.
Changes I'm considering: Replacing Dragon Pulse with Energy Ball. However, Leaf Storm is stronger on average over 2 turns and breaks even over 3 turns, so I do not anticipate using it as much as Dragon Pulse.

Mismagius (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd/252 SAtk/4 SDef
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Shadow Ball
- Thunderbolt
- Substitute
---

Why this Pokemon? Mismagius is the resident Ghost type. It serves as my only fighting resist and spin blocker. Mismagius can, with proper support from its teammates, easily sweep teams. Any team without a Registeel or Encore Clefable will be very hard pressed to stop it from killing at least one Pokemon, and it can easily wreck Stall if I manage to trap and kill Registeel with Magneton.
Why this set? There a few differences between my set and the standard SubCM set. I max S.atk instead of sticking a few points into HP or Sdef because the power to immediately 2hko Donphan and some Milotic is more valuable to me than the slight chance that some random Pokemon will not be able to break my substitute. I also run Tbolt over HP Fighting for two reasons. 1) Thunderbolt lets me keep 31 speed IVs, allowing me to kill opposing Mismagius (most of whom run HP fighting) before they can touch me and speed tie with them at worst and 2) Thunderbolt deals with Honchkrow, Drapion, and Haze Milotic much more efficiently, while only losing coverage on Registeel (which Missy isn't beating any time soon), Absol (tbolt kills it easily anyway) and Chansey (+6 tbolt 2hkos anyway) and Regirock.
Threat List coming in the next post.

FlareBlitz

is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Threat List

Absol: Choiced sets are the easiest to deal with, since I have pokemon that can switch in on all commonly run moves. LO sets are a bit trickier, but Hitmontop can handle it just fine unless Sucker Punch crits.

Altaria: Can be a pain in the ass, but loves switching into Sceptile and eating HP Ice. Otherwise I have to rely on rocks and intelligent switches to wear it down to KO range for one of my pokemon.

Ambipom: Lead Ampibom is handily dealt with by Clefable. Missy can absorb Fake Outs if it comes back in later and kill weakened ones with Tbolt while not dying to Payback or Pursuit.

Arcanine: Other Flash Fire Arcanine are VERY annoying and I really hope they don't become more popular after this RMT. Intimidate ones aren't a problem, since mine 2hkos with FF-boosted Blitz even after the Intimidate.

Azumarill: SubPunch variations are a problem, if they switch in on Hitmontop locked into Pursuit or Bpunch and Sceptile isn't at full health. Other variations not so much. Hitmontop, Magneton and Sceptile are all bulky enough to take its water STABs, and even Clefable will do in a pinch.

Blastoise: Magneton doesn't care about Toxic and ohkos with Tbolt. Sceptile ohkos with Leaf Storm. Missy sets up.

Blaziken: LO versions are an absolute pain to switch into, but the good news is that it can really only come in on Hitmontop locked into Pursuit/Bpunch or -2 Sceptile. And then I just have to weigh Fire Blast v. Superpower and switch in Missy or Arcanine accordingly. After that it dies easily. Choiced variations are easily handled once I know what they're running.

Chansey: 2hko'd by Sceptile, Missy sets up on it. Walls Magneton, I guess. If it's being a pain and preventing Sceptile from Leaf Storming things I usually pursuit it with Hitmontop to bring it into Sceptile's ko range.

Charizard: Lol. Bellyzard loses badly to Arcanine. I haven't run into other versions.

Claydol: Missy sets up on it, even if it has shadow ball.

Clefable: Depends on the set. Most sets are forced out by Hitmontop. Clefable sets up on any special set without Encore. Blissey with Weight Loss is easily killed by Sceptile.

Drapion: I don't actually have Earthquake (lol) so defensive versions can be a pain. Offensive versions die if they try to switch in on Sceptile, and die to Hitmontop's CC while being unable to kill it with anything, even after an SD.

Electrode: Here's what happens: Electrode used Taunt. Clefable used Facade. Electrode used Rain Dance/Sunny Day. Clefable used Facade. Electrode fainted. And if they get wise and don't taunt me the first turn, protect absorbs the Explosion on the second.

Espeon: Magneton, Missy, Arcanine, Sceptile (if at full health) and Hitmontop (to a lesser extent) are all checks, but I usually can't switch anyone but Sceptile into it unless I know its set.

Feraligatr: Bulky versions are outrun even after a DD by Sceptile and ohko'd, max speed versions are 2hko'd by Top's mach punch.

Hitmonlee: My priority attacks ohko. Missy gets free switches on EQ and CC, Top switches in on Stone Edge, Arcanine likes Blaze Kick.

Hitmontop: Foresight tops can be very dangerous if they run a lot of attack EVs, as Missy is my only fighting resist. Other techtops are easily handled.

Honchkrow: Likes to come in on Missy's sub for some reason. Tbolt kills it. However, mixed wallbreakers that come in on anything can be annoying. I usually have to rely on smart switches to beat it.

Houndoom: Arcanine switches in on the dark attack/fire attack/NP and ohkos with Xspeed.

Lanturn: Walls Magneton and Arcanine without an FF boost, but its lack of reliable recovery lets it down, as I can outstall with Clefable.

Magmortar: Flash Fire.

Mesprit: Missy beats CM variants one on one. As a lead it's just a worse Uxie and handled the same way.

Milotic: Sceptile ohkos, Magneton 2hkos, Missy sets up, Hitmontop 2hkos with CC (if I'm feeling ballsy). Arcanine 2hkos with an FF boost.

Miltank: Scrappy versions make me sad, since body slam loves paralyzing anything I switch in after it breaks missy's sub. Thick Fat versions try to wall Arcanine and fail very badly.

Mismagius: SubCM missys get a switch to Hitmontop, which beats it one on one. If I switch Top in and it taunts me, I immediately switch to Arcanine to take the WoW.

Moltres: If rocks are up, any Pokemon on my team kills it on the switch in. Choice versions that try to revenge kill are funny, since Magneton/Arcanine wall its STABs.

Nidoking: Notice something about my team: all my pokemon that can be female are female. Rivalry versions do pathetic damage.

Nidoqueen: Missy sets up. Sceptile ohkos. Magneton can usually set up.

Omastar: Leads are annoying. They will get 2 hazards up. They can also wall my Arcanine later on, but that's predictable enough to let a Thunder Fang eat it.

Porygon2: Missy sets up, Top kills, Sceptile kills physically defensive ones. A pain when they trace Magnet Pull and HP ground Magneton, but that's about it.

Primeape: Almost always a choiced lead. If you didn't notice, I have an easy team dealing with choiced pokemon. Clefable scouts and switches appropriately.

Regirock: Sceptile ohkos with leaf storm, even Max/Max careful variants in a sandstorm.

Registeel: The reason I have a steel trapper. If Magneton is dead or if it's a curse variant can cause massive, massive headaches.

Roserade: Offensive variants die to priority and Clefable. Choice scarf variants switching on Sceptile's leaf storm and Sludge Bombing it are very predictable (and get a switch to Magneton). Defensive variants can be a pain, especially if Clefable is dead because it might put something to sleep, but I can usually play around it.

Rotom: Offensive variations lacking HP Fighting are beaten by Magneton (Tbolt does ~40%). Choiced variations get a switch to Clefable, Sceptile or Missy depending on the move they're using.

Sceptile: Oh boy. If my Sceptile is dead, opposing Specstiles require a sac. Subseeders are easy enough to deal with, priority kills them and Clefable isn't affected by leech seed.

Scyther: Rocks + Priority.

Slowbro: Can wall Arcanine, even if I use Thunder Fang. CroBro dies to Sceptile if I don't let it get too many boosts (I should't).

Spiritomb: Arcanine does major damage, 2hkoing all versions and ohkoing most versions with an FF boost. Same with Sceptile, as long as it doesn't have more than 1 CM up.

Steelix: Magneton takes the Gyro Ball aimed at Missy (usually what it switches into), Magnet rises on the EQ, and either uses HP Fire or Sub (depending on my predictions as to roar/explosion).

Swellow: Magneton is a hard counter. Priority kills it.

Torterra: Sceptile resists both its STABs (although CB variations do absurd damage) and ohkos with Leaf storm and HP ice.

Toxicroak: I don't have any water types or attacks, so it's going to have a hard time switching in. Hitmontop's CC 2hkos, as does Sceptile's leaf storm.

Typhlosion: Scout its attack (usually eruption) and switch to the appropriate counter (usually Arcanine)

Uxie: Clefable absorbs all its statuses and attacks. If it tricks me, great, I just badly poisoned one of my opponent's walls, and I'll probably get my orb back when it gets cheeky later on and tries to trick it on something else.

Venusaur: It can try to come in on Hitmontop, but CC usually 2hkos offensive variations. Subseeders cannot do anything to Sceptile unless they run Sludge Bomb, and if they do Magneton eats them.

Weezing: Sceptile 2hkos, Arcanine 2hkos or ohkos. Missy sets up.

Yanmega: Hello BL Dragonfly. Most of my team can function as a Yanmega check, but nothing can counter it. I'm probably not going to have to worry about it too much longer.

Re: Rain Dance

As long as Hitmontop and Arcanine are alive, most rain dance teams don't have a chance of sweeping me. Once rain runs out, my first switch is to Missy as they switch in their bulky dancer. After I sub, Missy can shut down any chance of sweep.

Re: Stall
This team hates stall and entry hazards in general. 3 choice users will do that. Nevertheless, if stall loses one of its core members (Registeel and/or Chansey) it falls quickly as long as I didn't let sloppy play kill off my hard hitters.

ghost

formerly goldenghost
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
LC Leader
umm.....

Slowbro doesn't have the ability Water Absorb. Kingdra is not used in the UU. And with Slowbro's low special defense, you're not switching in on anything anyway, since most Omastar carrie HP Grass/Electric.

He's right about Hitmontop always beating Omastar and Kabutops, though Arcanine is totally worthless in the rain.

Use T-bolt and HP Ice. If you really want a charge beam sweeper, youi need to drop magnet rise in order to include HP Ice and T-bolt, though that would lose his ability to kill steels.

Hope i helped i helped, though most of this info is probably redundant X(

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey, I'm not sure but I think I've played this team and it works pretty well. For first timers (at a glance), this would be pretty hard to beat considering the amount of Choice users you have. But for second timers, it might be a little hard since the opponent knows what your running. Regardless, this is a good team.

Now on to my rate, personally Jolly Nature on Arcanine will benefit many things. Well firstly, you'll be speed-tieing with opposing Timid Specs Yanmega. This is a dreadful threat in your team, and I don't think Magnezone can really take Specs Buzz. With that being said, at least you have a chance to Speed tie with Yanmega and smash it with Flare Blitz before it hits you. Other Pokemon you'll outpace are Timid Moltres if you want to come in on a predicted Overheat / Will-O-Wisp or something. Outpacing Rotom is also a good thing who cower at the 91 mark. You won't loose as much power, because it still deals a max of 48.73% on Milotic and has 78% chance of 2HKO with SR down. If you like the trade for Speed for power, defenitely try this suggestion. Arcanine is one of the few "double-edge" users that like to attack first as suppose to getting attacked second, from my experience, ya dig?

With the biggest issue being Rain Dance, I really think you can space in Life Orb over Hitmontop. Why? Because you can fit in Fake Out over Bullet Punch to 1. Run down Rain Time while giving damage 2. Follow up with Mach Punch and most rain dance sweepers don't like their rain dance time to be stalled. You won't loose that much power, but its a trade off for flexibility. 1.5 and 1.3x isn't much of a difference. It also lets you deal with incoming Mismagius and such. One set up could prove to be quite problematic for this team.

As for other optios, Taunt over Sub might patch up this "stall" weakness somewhat and many other things. Firstly, it stops Chansey from passing Wish and what-not, allowing you to set up Calm Mind freely. Also stops Milotic from recover + hazing you. At certain times, you get Registeel in there who feel as though they can get Stealth Rock or Thunder Wave, you smash it with Taunt, and let Arcanine take Iron Head. Its a simple premise to prevent any set-ups of entry hazards and what not. Also stops "rain dance" from popping up easier. Sub is only really used to prevent status from my opinion, and its not a big issue right now. Overall gl.

Arcanine won't be switching much due to Stealth Rock, so if you want to keep him in the game for quite a while, I suggest you change Hitmontop to a Rapid Spinner. Also, I think it's unnecessary for you to have Hitmontop and Arcanine as Choice Banders when you can use Hitmontop for Rapid Spinning and a Mixed Arcanine so you can hit both sides of the spectrum.

- LB -

FlareBlitz

Use T-bolt and HP Ice. If you really want a charge beam sweeper, youi need to drop magnet rise in order to include HP Ice and T-bolt, though that would lose his ability to kill steels.

Hope i helped i helped, though most of this info is probably redundant X(
The problem with using Tbolt and HP Ice is, as I mentioned, Curse Registeel PP stalls me :\ I need Charge Beam to beat it if I run HP Ice, or I need HP Fire to beat it with Tbolt. Dropping magnet rise leaves me very vunerable to the standard Registeel, which carries Earthquake. Thank you for your suggestions, however.
Hey, I'm not sure but I think I've played this team and it works pretty well. For first timers (at a glance), this would be pretty hard to beat considering the amount of Choice users you have. But for second timers, it might be a little hard since the opponent knows what your running. Regardless, this is a good team. Now on to my rate, personally Jolly Nature on Arcanine will benefit many things. Well firstly, you'll be speed-tieing with opposing Timid Specs Yanmega. This is a dreadful threat in your team, and I don't think Magnezone can really take Specs Buzz. With that being said, at least you have a chance to Speed tie with Yanmega and smash it with Flare Blitz before it hits you. Other Pokemon you'll outpace are Timid Moltres if you want to come in on a predicted Overheat / Will-O-Wisp or something. Outpacing Rotom is also a good thing who cower at the 91 mark. You won't loose as much power, because it still deals a max of 48.73% on Milotic and has 78% chance of 2HKO with SR down. If you like the trade for Speed for power, defenitely try this suggestion. Arcanine is one of the few "double-edge" users that like to attack first as suppose to getting attacked second, from my experience, ya dig? With the biggest issue being Rain Dance, I really think you can space in Life Orb over Hitmontop. Why? Because you can fit in Fake Out over Bullet Punch to 1. Run down Rain Time while giving damage 2. Follow up with Mach Punch and most rain dance sweepers don't like their rain dance time to be stalled. You won't loose that much power, but its a trade off for flexibility. 1.5 and 1.3x isn't much of a difference. It also lets you deal with incoming Mismagius and such. One set up could prove to be quite problematic for this team. As for other optios, Taunt over Sub might patch up this "stall" weakness somewhat and many other things. Firstly, it stops Chansey from passing Wish and what-not, allowing you to set up Calm Mind freely. Also stops Milotic from recover + hazing you. At certain times, you get Registeel in there who feel as though they can get Stealth Rock or Thunder Wave, you smash it with Taunt, and let Arcanine take Iron Head. Its a simple premise to prevent any set-ups of entry hazards and what not. Also stops "rain dance" from popping up easier. Sub is only really used to prevent status from my opinion, and its not a big issue right now. Overall gl.
I'll test your suggestion to switch natures and see if it doesn't lose my too many kills, thanks ^^ As for Life Orb on Hitmontop, the drop in power really is significant. For instance, I can no longer ohko Omastar, or 2hko Ludicolo and Gorebyss. Additionally, Registeel is no longer ohko'd by Close Combat, and Altaria is not 2hko'd. The survivability drop is annoying too, as I rely on Hitmontop as a last ditch stop against sweepers, which doesn't work as well when it takes entry hazard damage and damage every time it attacks. As for Taunt over Sub on missy, I did consider it. But sub really helps against Honchkrow (I have to play the guessing game of Sucker Punch vs. Pursuit otherwise) and scarfed revenge killers. While taunt would shut down two of CM Missy's biggest problems (Perish Song Altaria and Encore Clefable) I don't know if the increased vunerability to revenge killing is worth it. But I'll keep your suggestion in mind, thanks.
Arcanine won't be switching much due to Stealth Rock, so if you want to keep him in the game for quite a while, I suggest you change Hitmontop to a Rapid Spinner. Also, I think it's unnecessary for you to have Hitmontop and Arcanine as Choice Banders when you can use Hitmontop for Rapid Spinning and a Mixed Arcanine so you can hit both sides of the spectrum.
I'm not changing Hitmontop to a rapid spinner. I might give it rapid spin over bullet punch, but its revenge killing abilities and strong fighting attacks are worth too much to my team for me to overhaul its EVs and item choice to make it more defensive. I'm not sure what a Mixed Arcanine would accomplish. Flare Blitz powers through most of its counters due to sheer power anyway, and if I run Life Orb over Choice Band I lose way too much health to SR, FB recoil and LO recoil. But if you can explain why it would be better I'll consider a switch.

i played this team on the UU ladder against you and i think that you should use taunt Mismagius over substitute Mismagius. You say you have trouble with stall and Taunt stops Milotic from hazing you and Altaria from perish songing you which are mainly stalls only way of dealing with Mismagius. I also second Lord's Blood idea of rapid spinning Hitmontop as again it will blow away hazards which you say you have trouble with, allow Arcanine to switch in more, and give you one less choicer. All of these will help you against stall.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
@ Flare

I know it won't grab the surefire OHKO, but its a trade off fro flexibility. I doubt most Registeel will stay in on Hitmontop. If they happen to go to their Ghost-type like Mismagius or Rotom, your forced to switch-out and it could pose a problem for the team once they have Sub down. At least with Life Orb you have flexibility to hit incoming Ghost-types with Pursuit. Also, its not that big anyways Life orb has a 58.97% chance of OHKO with SR down. But its just a suggestion

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)