SV Ubers Taunt Spam Offense (Peak 1765 - #1)

Taka

coastin' like crazy
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion

:sv/glimmora: :sv/koraidon: :sv/kingambit: :sv/great tusk: :sv/iron treads: :sv/flutter-mane:
Click above sprites for pokepaste!

Intro:

Hey everyone! This is the first RMT I've made, and I felt that since HOME was potentially coming out this week, I would enjoy making one of these to commemorate one of my most used teams this generation. I made this during Ubers Ladder Tournament, and although I didn't get very far in playoffs, I still ended up getting to practice a lot and build a lot more, so it was definitely a good experience overall. During ULT, I wanted to build a much more offensive take on hazard stack balance, and I found that Taunt spam was quite consistent at this, while also being incredibly good at taking advantage of the passive walls used in the metagame. Thus, Taunt Spam was born.

1684289935839.png

1684289896848.png
(these are slightly outdated rankings as I have not used the account since ULT qualifiers).

The Team:

:glimmora: :koraidon:
To start, I wanted to work with SD Koraidon paired with hazard stack. Glimmora is a fairly consistent pick into offense and helps wear down opposing Great Tusk for Koraidon, and Koraidon is just a solid breaker/win condition.

:glimmora: :koraidon: :kingambit:
Kingambit and Koraidon make for a very potent offensive core. Both of them can overload shared checks like Great Tusk, and Kingambit beats Skeledirge for Koraidon. Kingambit also provides defensive utility by soft checking Iron Bundle and Flutter Mane, which can be annoying to offense teams.

:glimmora: :koraidon: :kingambit: :great-tusk: :iron-treads:

Most non-HO teams require a way to check both Koraidon and Miraidon consistently. Great Tusk and Iron Treads do that well here, while also being able to provide a Knock Off user. Having Rapid Spin on both of these Pokemon makes it easier for me to Tera Koraidon and Kingambit without worrying too much about the hazard game.

:glimmora: :koraidon: :kingambit: :great-tusk: :iron-treads: :flutter-mane:

Looking at the previous iteration of the team, two issues were clear to me.
1) I need a spinblocker. Annihilape can work but it doesn't provide enough immediate power here and it makes the team a little bit slower. So, Flutter Mane was chosen here as the "spinblocker", although you rarely will be using it to truly spinblock anything bar Great Tusk. Which leads me to my next issue...
2) I need a ground immune. This team absolutely just loses to Offensive Great Tusk if paired with something like a Koraidon. I need a way to pressure physical walls outside of purely overloading and a ground immune.
So, Air Balloon Flutter Mane became the essential 6th member of this team.

Individual Mons:
1684291410954.png

Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Mortal Spin
- Earth Power
- Spikes

Starting off with the lead of this team, Glimmora is a consistent lead into Screens offense and teams with no Poisons. Spikes lets me rack up damage on Koraidon and Flutter Mane checks, pairing well with the Taunts they use to block recovery. I went with Sludge Wave because there was an uptick in Hatterene balances during ULT, and since it has a decent chance to OHKO lead Iron Bundle anyways, but Energy Ball is also a decent option for chunking lead Great Tusk (if people still lead that LOL).

1684291341411.png

Koraidon @ Leftovers
Ability: Orichalcum Pulse
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 36 Def / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Swords Dance / Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Flame Charge

The main focus of the team, Taunt Koraidon. Taunt Koraidon flips the matchup against common Koraidon answers such as Toxapex and Clodsire. What it does on this team in particular is take advantage of Toxic Spike absorbers such as Toxapex and Clodsire, and use them as setup opportunities. Swords Dance was chosen to power through Miraidon outside of Sun, letting you not be revenged as easily, but Bulk Up is another viable option. Drain Punch and Flame Charge provide enough coverage to sweep the majority of teams, only struggling to break past Great Tusk. Thus, if you do end up trading for Great Tusk...

1684291419868.png

Kingambit @ Leftovers
Ability: Supreme Overlord
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Kowtow Cleave
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head

Either Kingambit or Koraidon will end up trading with the opponent's physical walls, letting you sweep with the other one. Kingambit provides me with a late-game wincon, a soft check to Iron Bundle and Chien-Pao, and a way to anti-lead Screens Hyper Offense. Tera Flying is pretty standard, and flips the matchup against opposing Great Tusk, and Sacred Sword Chien-Pao. I go max speed on mine to improve the opposing Kingambit matchup, but bulk is not bad at all on this mon, as long as you outspeed Corviknight and Skeledirge.
1684291437344.png

Great Tusk @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 48 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Play Rough

The quintessential check to Koraidon on most teams. This set lets Great Tusk set up alongside opposing Koraidon, Kingambit, and Great Tusk, while also potentially acting as a secondary setup sweeper. Earthquake and Play Rough covers Koraidon before and after Tera, and is a good neutral move into Kingambit that has Tera available. Rocky Helmet punishes opposing Koraidon even harder, making it difficult for Drain Punch variants of Koraidon to use Great Tusk as setup fodder. The given EV spread lets Great Tusk outspeed Double Dance Miraidon at +1.

1684291447223.png

Iron Treads @ Leftovers
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 16 Def
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

The chosen check to Miraidon on this team. Iron Treads provides a Knock Off user to strengthen the hazards set by Glimmora, while also solidly checking Double Dance Miraidon (and non-Overheat/Tera Ground Miraidon in general). Stealth Rock lets me limit opposing non-Boots Chien-Pao and Iron Bundle, while also giving Great Tusk and Iron Treads more leeway against Chi-Yu. I went with max HP and max Special Defense to maximize its longevity against Miraidon, especially under its Electric Terrain.

1684291457480.png

Flutter Mane @ Air Balloon
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Taunt
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Mystical Fire

Flutter Mane is the other Taunt user in this team, and acts as the Great Tusk Spinblocker. I got the idea for this set from corvere, and Taunt Flutter Mane can be used aggressively to punish Corviknight coming in to Defog, while also preventing Pokemon like Clodsire from being able to set up hazards or touch Flutter Mane at all. Paired with Taunt Koraidon, Taunt Flutter Mane can greatly wear down the opponent's defensive core while keeping hazards intact. STABs are useful for breaking through the majority of the tier, and Mystical Fire is used for hitting Corviknight and Kingambit hard on the switch.

Individual Mons:

:miraidon: - Tera Ground in particular is incredibly difficult for this team, and most Treads reliant offense, to switch into. Generally, the route to winning is getting up Toxic Spikes and using Kingambit/Koraidon to take out Miraidon late-game.
:iron bundle: - Make sure to utilize your Tera well in this matchup. Kingambit can switch into Iron Bundle a few times, and Flutter Mane/Iron Treads can pivot in once and force it out, but your main bet is to find a way to setup and take it out, such as being aggressive with Kingambit and Koraidon, or activating Sun to let Flutter Mane outspeed Iron Bundle.
:espathra: - Always a really annoying pokemon to take on, especially if Tera Fighting. Generally Kingambit can take it on, and if they send in Espathra early, it may be worth using Tera on Kingambit early as well, but otherwise you want to Tera Fire with Koraidon or just hit Taunt and spam Mystical Fire with Flutter Mane.
:orthworm: - Shed Tail is annoying in general but Orthworm being able to set up freely on Great Tusk and Iron Treads is especially annoying. Be very aggressive with Toxic Spikes and Koraidon and set up early, since teams with Orthworm generally will have difficulty taking on Koraidon under Toxic Spikes.

Surprisingly, for my most used team, I cannot find replays for it LOL so sorry about that. I really thought I had some...

Thanks to corvere and ox04 for helping me with the initial build of this team, as well as GeniusFromHoenn and OreoSpeedruns for helping me test it.
Also shoutout Lasen and AndViet fr

That's all, you guys got it from here

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Very cool team Taka. Awesome presentation and grats on the peak!

i will definitely be stealing this team (it's good to see a team without miraidon on it)

OreoSpeedruns

Embrace the wonders within.
is a Tiering Contributor
Hihihi just dropping in to make a recommendation rq:

:glimmora:
Dazzling Gleam > Sludge Wave

In my personal experience testing this team, I loved having Energy Ball over Sludge Wave, as that smacks Great Tusk really hard, hard enough to the point where this team has no issues breaking through it later in the game. Plus, it’s always good for a hazard setter to be the one threatening the best hazard removal in the tier :)
Nowadays, I like Dazzling Gleam more. While it does pack less of a punch on Tusk, it has this very minor perk of trashing Koraidon, arguably the most threatening mon in the tier, and imo one of the best leads, even now when setup Koraidon is dominant. This can be huge, as trashing Koraidon early-game would relieve a lot of pressure on Tusk to handle it later in the game.

Oh also another one:

:iron treads:
Volt Switch > Stealth Rock

I don’t think I can stress enough how awful Treads is at rocking. It is completely unable to keep rocks up in the face of all hazard removal, bar Glimmora. Volt Switch allows Treads to take advantage of an otherwise completely free Corviknight switch and then put immense pressure on it with something else. I also noticed this team has a severe lack of pivoting for such an offensive build, so Volt Switch on Treads can remedy that somewhat.

But yeah man, absolutely fire post except for the shoutouts lmao, and an even more fire team, and I’m honored to have helped with testing!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)