Tangrowth

With 100/110 attacking stats it could pull off a growth set fairly well. Something like power whip/ growth/ earthquake or focusblast / and hp fire or ice to round off some coverage

Power Whip does more to Gyarados- one of the main Pokemon he'll be tasked with tanking hits from and hitting back. Finally, Tangrowth has a great defensive ability and somewhat reliable recovery. His main set will probably stay the same, the first one listed in the OP. Knock Off is such a good move, possibly notifying you of your opponent's moveset and removing their item, which is often extremely valuable to a Pokemon.

The specially defensive set in the analysis seems promising, but with maximized HP and special defense. 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Careful nature gives you 404 HP / 287 Def / 218 SpD, which is really, really nice. Vaporeon, the strongest bulky water, does 14.9% - 17.6% with Surf, and 39.6% - 47% with Ice Beam. Regeneration allows it to do so much when it comes to tanking hits from common Choice Scarf Pokemon. Scarf Latias does 54.5% - 64.6% with Draco Meteor, Garchomp does 40.1% - 47.5% with Outrage, etc.

regeneration is awnsome tangrowth and slowbro are the ones who liked it better and both of them are phisicall walls even in red hp you can just switch out and gain large chunk of hp thanks to tangrowth and slowbro big base hps i cant wait to test this guy out but leech seed and knock off on same moveset take tangrowth alot of coverage

breh

強いだね
With 100/110 attacking stats it could pull off a growth set fairly well. Something like power whip/ growth/ earthquake or focusblast / and hp fire or ice to round off some coverage
I feel that, aside from acting as a wall, this is one of the cooler things that it can do.

Running Max Speed, Tangrowth just so happens to barely outspeed max speed, scarf Shanderaa and Heatran in the sun. This allows it to get a growth in while the opponent switches to their fire type and then Earthquake them (baloon heatran is certainly a problem, but it can be scouted for). The last move would probably be HP Ice to stop Salamence from making you useless.

Conversely, an SD set could be run, SD, EQ, Power Whip, and Rock Slide. This gets perfect coverage and hits pretty hard.

Oh and I just realized that it walls Doryuuzu... :D

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell
Despite power whip only being even against doryuzuu knock off, level ground and leech seed piss it off badly.

Doryuzuu from my experience is one of the biggest threats around and tangrowth's capabilities sure through wrench in doryuzuu's gears.

Regeneration is an awesome addition for Tangrowth, greatly aiding it's defensive capabilities.

I can see it has promising potential in this new generation. A wall with Regeneration, a Chlorophyll sweeper, or even a Leaf Guard wall in the sun are all possibilities.

Blightbringer

Banned deucer.
Power Whip does more to Gyarados- one of the main Pokemon he'll be tasked with tanking hits from and hitting back. Finally, Tangrowth has a great defensive ability and somewhat reliable recovery. His main set will probably stay the same, the first one listed in the OP. Knock Off is such a good move, possibly notifying you of your opponent's moveset and removing their item, which is often extremely valuable to a Pokemon.

The specially defensive set in the analysis seems promising, but with maximized HP and special defense. 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD with a Careful nature gives you 404 HP / 287 Def / 218 SpD, which is really, really nice. Vaporeon, the strongest bulky water, does 14.9% - 17.6% with Surf, and 39.6% - 47% with Ice Beam. Regeneration allows it to do so much when it comes to tanking hits from common Choice Scarf Pokemon. Scarf Latias does 54.5% - 64.6% with Draco Meteor, Garchomp does 40.1% - 47.5% with Outrage, etc.
Uh, why not just use bulky Shaymin? With a Bold nature and maximum HP and defense investment, you have around 15% more phyiscal bulk and almost 10% more special bulk.

Uh, why not just use bulky Shaymin? With a Bold nature and maximum HP and defense investment, you have around 15% more phyiscal bulk and almost 10% more special bulk.
Because Tangrowth is cooler, basically.

Besides, this is the Tangrowth thread.

I don't go into the Dragonite thread and post "BUT GARCHOMP" every time someone posts a mildly offensive moveset.

SJCrew

Believer, going on a journey...
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Tangrowth can finally distinguish himself from celebi.
He already distinguished himself from Celebi with his terrible Sp. Def and mostly inferior defensive/support options. This isn't Dnite vs. Mence, this is Camerupt vs. Heatran.

Weakness:Fire, Ice, Flying and Bug
Uh... I think you're forgetting something. *coughkoffingcough*

Anyhow, the addition of Regeneration to Tangrowth's moves doesn't change him that much. I guess you can have him as a physical wall, but he already does that pretty well, and if you're willing to sacrifice any chance of sweeping with Chlorophyll, then go ahead. Still though, grass is shit typing. This really hinders his ability to make an impact, which caused him to fall from OU in DP to wavering in the back of UU by the end of HG/SS.

Uh... I think you're forgetting something. *coughkoffingcough*

Anyhow, the addition of Regeneration to Tangrowth's moves doesn't change him that much. I guess you can have him as a physical wall, but he already does that pretty well, and if you're willing to sacrifice any chance of sweeping with Chlorophyll, then go ahead. Still though, grass is shit typing. This really hinders his ability to make an impact, which caused him to fall from OU in DP to wavering in the back of UU by the end of HG/SS.

Your right my bad! Ill fix that right away haha thanks for noticing :D

The fact that everyone's suggesting sd sets tells me that no one realizes that growth now boosts attack and special attack by 2 stages in sun. Combined with chlorophyll and the ability to beat politoed, t-tar and hippo one on one makes it an extremely good partner for drought ninetales. I haven't put all that much thought into the exact workings of a potential set but it would look something like this

Tangrowth @ leftovers/Life orb/Occa/Yache berry
Naive, 252 speed, rest divided between att and sp att (again, haven't worked this out yet)
Chlorophyll
Growth
Power whip/Solar beam/Giga drain
Focus blast/Brick break
Rock slide/Sleep powder

Naive because his sp def sucks anyway and I'd much rather leave his def intact. Leftovers for extra bulk, orb for extra damage and works nice with giga drain and occa or yache so the odd special t-tar doesn't shit all over you as well as helping against politoeds ice beam. Choice between moves is pretty much just special vs physical and grass/fight/rock hits everything for neutral except toxicroak. While giving up rock loses a lot of coverage, sleep powder can always be used to put a would-be counter to sleep. Synthesis also deserves a mention as you'll be using this in sun, but imo you're much better off with giga drain.

Personally, I see Venusaur as better for beating them, but Tangrowth could work too, especially with more physical bulk and a Ground resistance.

Solar Beam is bad. Never, ever run Solar Beam. Giga Drain is always a better option.

Focus Blast is terrible when Brick Break accomplishes the same thing: beating TTar. It also beats Abomasnow, which is admittedly pretty easy.

On something designed to beat other weather users, it would probably be better to go with Sleep Powder for predicted switches.

All in all, Tangrowth got a very nice boost this gen, helped by Ninetales and the buff to Growth.

I was thinking a funny strategy with Tangrowth would be to use Leech Seed and then immediately switch to Shanderra. Shanderra has Shadow Tag, and assuming your opponent doesn't switch out immediately (or if you're faster than them), you can basically trap them for the entire duration of Leech Seed.

As an added bonus, Shanderra happens to resist a good number of Tangrowth's weaknesses, so if your opponent is silly enough to let their Tangrowth counter stay in on Leech Seed.... =D

Of course, being allowed to take a hit and recover the damage by switching out only helps this strategy.

*inb4pokesthatcounterbothShanderraandTangrowth*

I was thinking a funny strategy with Tangrowth would be to use Leech Seed and then immediately switch to Shanderra. Shanderra has Shadow Tag, and assuming your opponent doesn't switch out immediately (or if you're faster than them), you can basically trap them for the entire duration of Leech Seed.

As an added bonus, Shanderra happens to resist a good number of Tangrowth's weaknesses, so if your opponent is silly enough to let their Tangrowth counter stay in on Leech Seed.... =D

Of course, being allowed to take a hit and recover the damage by switching out only helps this strategy.

*inb4pokesthatcounterbothShanderraandTangrowth*
Christ, ZOMG, you're on here?

Anyways, Heatran. That is all.

Personally, I see Venusaur as better for beating them, but Tangrowth could work too, especially with more physical bulk and a Ground resistance.

Solar Beam is bad. Never, ever run Solar Beam. Giga Drain is always a better option.

Focus Blast is terrible when Brick Break accomplishes the same thing: beating TTar. It also beats Abomasnow, which is admittedly pretty easy.

On something designed to beat other weather users, it would probably be better to go with Sleep Powder for predicted switches.

All in all, Tangrowth got a very nice boost this gen, helped by Ninetales and the buff to Growth.
Focus blast was more for heatran and skarmory as power whip takes care of t-tar. I also understand what the cons of solar beam are, but considering no auto weather pokemon other then aboma and opposing ninetales will want to switch into tangrowth I figured it's viable, plus non special t-tar and hippo can't really hurt tangrowth anyway so it can just wait the extra turn and just switch out. Plus I'm pretty sure tangrowth can outspeed t-tar and hippo out of sun anyway with max speed. In the case of aboma you're pretty screwed but it means the opponent is using a hail team and sun beats hail, and if they're using ninetales you don't lose a turn and can switch out, or just ko with rock slide.
I also forgot completely about venusaur, but other then higher speed and special defense does it really have any advantages? Same offensive movepool for the most part but no fighting or rock attacks, no ground resist and lower offenses and overall bulk. Venusaur has higher speed then both t-tar and politoed, but even if it outspeeds t-tar can't do much to either barring special sets and I can't see politoed running max speed.

It's worth noting that Tangrowth has the highest combined Atk and SpAtk of all potential Chlorophyll and Growth users, as well as quite probably the best physical movepool of them too.

Also, Power Whip has effectively 360 power VS TTar and Brick Break only has 300, so there is little point running it at all seeing as it is your main target for it. Focus Blast could be run for the extra power, or perhaps EQ depending on coverage needed. The accuracy of FB sucks, however. Perhaps Wide Lens may be an option since Growth boosts stats so sky high?

EDIT: Ninjaed, but to the above - there have been Max speed Politoed sets proposed in its thread, and also Venusaur's higher speed means a ton of scarfers don't outspeed it even in Sun, and a lot of things don't outspeed it out of Sun.

It's worth noting that Tangrowth has the highest combined Atk and SpAtk of all potential Chlorophyll and Growth users, as well as quite probably the best physical movepool of them too.

Also, Power Whip has effectively 360 power VS TTar and Brick Break only has 300, so there is little point running it at all seeing as it is your main target for it. Focus Blast could be run for the extra power, or perhaps EQ depending on coverage needed. The accuracy of FB sucks, however. Perhaps Wide Lens may be an option since Growth boosts stats so sky high?
Again, focus blast/brick break is more for heatran/skarmory since I'm pretty sure it gives more coverage then eq.

It would help if I actually checked, because grass/rock/ground hits everything but bronzong, breloom and birijion but all are easy taken care of by a random fire type that won't be far behind, or hp fire should you choose to use it. Still, focus blast lets you actually use that boosted special attack. Shame tangrowth doesn't get earth power.

NEVER USE SOLARBEAM AT ALL! It doesn't matter that Tyranitar, Hippowdon, etc. don't want to switch in on Tangrowth. If they find out that your only Grass Attack is Solarbeam, that gives them a chance to switch in and either switch right back out or kill you with one of their attacks. The fact that you'll be locked into a 60 Base Power move for two turns that won't do anything on the first turn makes it a terrible idea to use and since most weather changers will outspeed you, they can either OHKO if you're at lower health or 2HKO you if they can take the Solarbeam (Tyranitar). Giving something like Latios a completely free switch in to the Solarbeam works as well. /rant

NEVER USE SOLARBEAM AT ALL! It doesn't matter that Tyranitar, Hippowdon, etc. don't want to switch in on Tangrowth. If they find out that your only Grass Attack is Solarbeam, that gives them a chance to switch in and either switch right back out or kill you with one of their attacks. The fact that you'll be locked into a 60 Base Power move for two turns that won't do anything on the first turn makes it a terrible idea to use and since most weather changers will outspeed you, they can either OHKO if you're at lower health or 2HKO you if they can take the Solarbeam (Tyranitar). Giving something like Latios a completely free switch in to the Solarbeam works as well. /rant
QFT. Solarbeam isn't worth the risk of your opponent not having an autoweather inducer either, given the increased number of them and the usefulness of TTar and Hippowdon in OU anyway. Even Leaf Storm is a better option than Solarbeam, although to some extent it causes the same issue - if they force you into using it then switch to a resist your SpAtk is screwed. Shame Tangrowth doesn't get Petal Dance as an option at least, although Power Whip should suffice in general.

Shaymin doesn't have nearly the movepool of Tangrowth. It lacks Power Whip/ Knock Off/ Earthquake/ Wring Out. Movepool can make a huge difference and Shaymin definitely lacks it.

I hope regeneration along with his other goodies will make him decent. It will be hard to find a niche with Nattorei and others running around.

If Tangrowth remains UU, then Solarbeam would be better, on non-Choiced sets. I know that UU won't be made out, and he'll be lumped in with everyone at first, but since Politoed, Ninetales, Tyranitar, Hippowdon, (and unlikely, but possibly, Abomasnow) will probably be OU, UU would leave only Hippopotas, Snover, and Vulpix to stop him. On any set where Tangrowth can switch moves, these three would be KOed, by some other move of his.

While the above two posts (above Chan, that is) are certainly correct for OU, I personally believe that Tangrowth will end up UU again, making Solarbeam a viable option. I repeated myself a lot, so I hope that it makes sense.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I have been using him in a Sun Team, and he's a beast. He learns Earthquake and Rock Slide, which is uncommon but helpful moves for a Sun Team.

Tangrowth @ Life Orb
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe Adamant
~Power Whip
~Earthquake
~Rock Slide
~Swords Dance

This is what I've been using. It hits hard even without the Swords Dance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)