Monotype Talonflame Fire-Monotype Team

as a disclaimer this is my first time making a team by myself (also my first post in this forum. also my account is only new because i didn't know i could make one but I am a long time lurker of this forum). I researched good team options and movesets to make this team and I think it is pretty good. i have won alot of battles with it but I don't know for sure if it is very good. I'm open to any suggestion besides getting rid of talonflame since i baed the team around it. I have tested this team a lot and this is my final product

(Talonflame) (M)
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Will-O-Wisp

I chose this pokemon because I like them. for the ability i have gale wings to boost the priority of acrobatics making it a very solid move against most teams. also i have no item to further boost the base damage of acrobatics. this turns out to be a solid combo most of the time and can sometimes sweep if i get off a swords dance. speaking of swords dance, i have this there because of what i just said, to boost acrobatics. it can be pretty easy to get it off when i use torkol right and get off a yawn so its pretty reliable to have swords dance as the second move. my third move is roost and i have that there so i can stay at full hp to fully utalize gale wings. will-o-wisp is there to deal with some mons that are too much for talonflame to sweep over and would rather stall out.

(Torkoal) @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
EVs: 1 HP
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Yawn
- Lava Plume

i put torkol here because it is a very useful asset to have on the team. it is a good stealth rock setter and can give some good setup options for talonflame. the heat rock and drought is for charizard. charizard is the backup after talonflame. rapid spin is great for hazard removal. yawn is to setup for talonflame. stealth rock because stealth rock. and lava plume is there to score some damage or check certain annoyances to talongflame like mimmiku or any pokemon with sturdy,

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- U-turn
- Bolt Strike
- Blue Flare
- V-create

victini is here because i needed someone to be speedy. i have u-turn for talonflame setup. bolt strike is useful for the water matchup and can really come in clutch sometimes. there is blue flare there because it has good attack and is a fast fire type option to go against tanky grass types like mega venosaur. there is v-create because it's victinis strongest STAB move.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Focus Blast
- Roost

i have charizard as a backup for talonflame. its really good to send in after talonflame dies to get a revenge kill. there is fireblast for a good fire move to get grass/steel/ice/bug types. solar beam is great because of drought from the mega evolution and from torkol so i can activate it in one turn and sweep. focus blast is really good for the normal matchup and sometimes it help against fire type matchup. roost is to help keep charizard nice and healthy

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Fire Blast
- Vacuum Wave

infernape is helpful to be very fast and to setup stealth rock incase torkol dies before it can setup. taunt is to prevent problems like Kommo-o or belly drum charizard. vacuum wave is for priority and to help in normal matchup. and finnaly fire blast is for more attack.

Volcanion @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Defog
- Steam Eruption
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb

For my final pokemon i have volcanion. it is the most useful asset against the water matchup because of water absorb and its amazing dual typing. i have defog on there for hazard removal since there isnt much else on my team for it. steam eruption is for the fire mirror match and for ground/rock. flamethrower is for more fire damage. and finnaly, sludge bomb is to help with some other matchups and for the small chance to poison.

Hey there! Congrats on the first post and welcome to the forums! What you’ve got here is a great start but there are a few things that could be improved.

:Talonflame:
With the addition of Dual Wingbeat in Gen 8 Talonflame got a tad better since it has a decent Flying STAB that doesn’t cause recoil. What this also means is you can break Sash, Sub or Disguise AND are able to run an item (Heavy-Duty Boots). A Jolly nature helps to outspeed some of the higher Speed stuff that might either KO you after chip or apply status.

:Torkoal:
The move set here is correct, but the EVs are missing so I’ll put some just in case.

:Victini: -> :Volcarona:
Volcarona is extremely good and can sweep entire teams single handed including Water with access to Giga Drain or just by setting up two or more Quiver Dances against balance. I know we will be losing speed control but I’ll address that with Infernape.

:Charizard-Mega-Y: -> :Charizard-Mega-X:
Charizard Y is great on Flying where it has strong hazard control, but less so on Fire. In addition, Charizard X has great typing, bulk and set up ability to effectively finish games.

:Infernape: ->:Cinderace:
Since you already have a Stealth Rock setter you don’t need two. In order to have Speed control you'd need a Choice Scarf user and Cinderace does everything Infernape does but better. Similar coverage but has Libero and a better speed tier.

:Volcanion:
Move set is perfect, I’d just tweak the EVs and use Heavy-Duty Boots instead of Leftovers. Fire doesn’t play long games where Leftovers shines and not taking hazard damage when coming in helps to clear more effectively. The EV spread I am suggesting is just enough speed to outspeed Adamant Azumarill. The rest can go to Special Attack and HP for a little more bulk.

—————

Overall just a few changes and you should see better results. The addition of Charizard X and Volcarona help cover walls that would stop Talonflame from sweeping and vice versa.

Below is a paste of the updated team (click the icons).
:Talonflame::Torkoal::Volcarona::Charizard-Mega-X::Cinderace::Volcanion:

If you have any questions or need more help just let me know and good luck!

holy crap thank so much dude! these changes look awesome and I'm definitely going to add them to my team.
(also wow i cant believe i forgot to put EVs on torkol! i forgot to add them i guess since i wanted to check if the team is valid before i go further with it)

I agree w/ Conderace over the ape. That's a new Mon that outclasses ape, the other that does so is Blaziken.

EDIT: Also what's up with the set you do have!? Naive but no physical attacks makes no sense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)