Battle Stadium SwSh Series 11 Season 24 Singles

Hello there, folks! I'm a first-time builder and have been recently reading up on Competitive battling; after Breeding and Shiny Hunting for fun, I finally decided to get into this side of Pokémon! I put this team together today and have been surprised at it's success, but I'm sure there is much to be done that could improve my performance. After all, I am pulling these sets straight from the Smogon site, with little tweaking of my own.

Before I go over my thought process and performances thus far, I want to point out something that is very important in terms of what this team is. I put this team together and have been testing it in Ubers, but what I really want to do is take it to Ranked Battles in my copy of Shield. The current Series 11 Season 24 has a list of Restricted and Banned Pokémon, so using a full team of Ubers isn't really an option (I initially had labeled this thread as SS Ubers solely based on the usage of Yveltal). I'm sure you lovely people are aware of the current in-game restrictions, but here is a link for reference: Ranked Battle Series 11 - Pokémon Sword & Shield - Serebii.net

And with that, let me get into my team! I'll try to format this thread will all the icons and such, but bear with me as it is my first post. Since it's also my first real team build, I'm sure my process and reasoning is very flawed. Feel free to roast me in a kind, informative way so I can learn.

Building Process:
:yveltal::chansey:
I started by looking at the list of Restricted and Banned 'mons for this Series, and landed on Yveltal as my main sweeper. I have a shiny XYZ Yveltal in my HOME, so I wanted to use it over the others listed. I chose Chansey as a big-'ol wall and cleric, incase I run into any nasty status effects.
:yveltal::chansey::corviknight:
I added Corviknight because I've had a lot of success with this birdie, both as a Defogger and a defensive threat with Iron Defense + Body Press.
:yveltal::chansey::corviknight::excadrill:
I put Excadrill on the team here as more of a suicide-lead, but also as a way to resist electric types since I noted a big weakness.
:yveltal::chansey::corviknight::excadrill::toxapex:
Call me old fashioned, but I love a good stall-mon. I've had a lot of success with The Pex as well; it's saved me in a lot of situations I thought otherwise dire, and I know how nice it can be with some of it's resistances and bulk. Additionally, I noted a pretty bad weakness to fire here, so I thought "who better to add than my favorite sea critter?"
:yveltal::chansey::corviknight::excadrill::toxapex::dragapult:
Remember how I was worried about electric types? Yea, that Toxapex didn't help. I put Dragapult in here for it's electric and fire resistances, but I also have seen it as an absolutely terrifying sweeper thanks to it's speed and offensive stats.

In-depth Analysis:
:swsh/yveltal:
Prime Beef (Yveltal) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Oblivion Wing
- Sucker Punch
- Taunt

As I said above, I started this team with Yveltal because it's - A: a badass shiny I have, and B: very, VERY strong. I went with the offensive set over the SpD because I wanted it to be my main sweeper, and because I love a Pokémon with recovery. Dark Pulse + Dark Aura is self-explanatory; I love how Oblivion Wing nearly negates the Life Orb damage, keeping my big threat around much longer than usual. Sucker Punch has won me a few shootouts, and I love using Taunt on set-up/stall Pokémon. As my Yveltal is my main Pokémon, I'm not sure what tweaking/replacing it would need, but I'm always open to opinions!

:swsh/Chansey:
Serenity (Chansey) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Soft-Boiled
- Seismic Toss
- Aromatherapy
- Teleport

I haven't used a Blissey before, nor have I messed around with something that functions primarily as a cleric. In practice, though, it works out for me the majority of the time. I opted for Aromatherapy over Seismic-Toss because I found status effects to be very crippling on my other Pokémon, and I chose Teleport over Confide in order to bring in some strong counters with a well-placed pivot. Utility Umbrella was chosen purely based from the set I found on Smogon, but I can absolutely see how useful it is against Hail/Sandstorm chip-damage, and boosted power from other weather-based 'mons.

:swsh/Corviknight:
Faux Corbeau (Corviknight) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Iron Defense
- Body Press
- Defog

Corviknight is has a terrific bulk as well as being an easy answer to set-up 'mons who want to chip away at some of my more frail sweepers. As I said before, I love recovery, so Roost is a must-have for me... especially when faced against a physical threat after I've maxed out my defense with Iron Defense (Scorbunny's Pyro Ball barely scratched me)! Body Press is one of my favorite fighting-type moves in conjunction with a huge defensive stat, but I have been walled by other Corviknights, as well as bulky fairy types (a theme here that I have noticed). However, Rocky Helmet + Roost has saved me in a few instances where I would be otherwise unable to get significant damage in.

:swsh/Excadrill:
Underminer (Excadrill) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake

Excadrill mostly acts as my suicide lead, though I have waited to bring him in as an answer to an opponent's Eternatus. Depending on how my opponent begins, I can either start with a Stealth Rock to make sure I get them out, or go with an Earthquake when I know my opponent won't be able to survive it. Thanks to the Focus Sash, I can pull this off and get at least two attacks in, before the Drill goes down. Starting with a Rock Tomb is an option too, if I know the opponent is faster, in order to solidify Earthquake as a finisher. Rapid Spin is nice too, to ensure I can get an extra attack in. I don't use it normally as a way to clear hazards, since I have Defog on my Corviknight, but it is there as an option and has worked once while I was finishing off an opposing Toxapex.

:swsh/Toxapex:
Ser Draynor (Toxapex) (M) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic

What can I say about one of my favorites? Toxic, in my opinion, the best status effect to inflict upon my enemies, with Burn being a close second against physical attackers. Lucky for me, Toxapex can do both! Even if Scald doesn't end up effective against my opponent, as long as Toxapex's bulk can keep it around I'll be able to spam Scald until a Burn lands when I'm being walled by a steel or poison type. Haze has worked wonders against set-up Pokémon like Mimikyu and DD Dragonite, and Recover + Black Sludge/Regenerator is self-explanatory. In the past, I've used a Toxapex with a more balanced defensive spread of 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD, but this time I decided to experiment with a more physically defensive set. However, I have definitely noted a prevalence for Special Attackers, and this Pex can't take a Thunder like it used to. Perhaps I should adjust that spread again?

:swsh/Dragapult:
Four-Eyes (Dragapult) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Thunder

Dragapult takes the rear as a solid Choice Specs sweeper. Faster than most (but not all), I can ensure a very strong hit as long as my opponent doesn't predict what I'm going for... though I'm sure naming it "Four-Eyes" isn't a huge giveaway. I noticed a lack of coverage for water-types on this team, so I opted for Thunder as a coverage move; aside from Toxapex or maybe Quaqsire/Gastrodon, I haven't seen many water types aside from Kyogre. Lucky for me, Kyogre brings in the rain, so I can outspeed and hit with a sure-fire Thunder on that bulky SOB. Unfortunately, I have noticed that in this scenario, the Thunder lacks the OHKO potential that I thought it would bring.

Threats:
:eternatus: This friggin' thing is so friggin' powerful, and pretty fast too. My Dragapult can hit it with a Draco Meteor, but it won't OHKO and I'll get smited right back. I've had success with my Excadrill, but it needs to be played smart - hitting with a Rapid Spin or Rock Throw first, in order to tilt the speed scales, and then following with an Earthquake has worked a bit, but if my opponent swaps out or recovers before I can get the kill, I have no response.
:xerneas: Without any real steel or poison moves on my team, Xerneas (and other strong fairy types) have proven to be an issue for me. My strategy was to combat with stall via my Toxapex, but if the Pex is down, I have very little options since most of these Pokémon have clerical abilities. Losing Seismic Toss on my Blissey also gives me little options here.

Closing Thoughts:
Well, that's my team! I was surprised with how well it was performing, but I didn't go much past the 1300's before I stepped away for a bit. I think the team needs more answers for Steel and Fairy types, but otherwise I've been pleased with the power of the team. As someone who initially focused too much on defensive/stall tactics, I've enjoyed playing something a bit more offensive (though I'd be hard pressed to pass on the Pex). Hopefully, this team will do very well in the SwSh Ranked Ladder, but I want to be sure it's totally solid before I finish shiny-hunting my team (already 3/6 acquired)!

Thank you everyone for reading, and I look forward to checking in to see your suggestions and criticisms!

Last edited:
Well 1st off this isn't a Smogon Ubers team, it's for cart quite plainly. So use the Battle Spot tag, not SS Ubers.

EDIT: ok thx that's more clear. Yveltal should be -Atk nature from what I've seen and I asked about it once on PS. That's because Dark Aura LO Sucker Punch is strong enough w/ -atk even, and it's not your main move. Meanwhile, any missed bulk is major when you're using a recovery move in Oblivion Wing.

Utility Umbrella is an item I've never seen before. I kno what it does, and it does not seem useful, on Blissey and maybe not on anything. I don't think Toxic is legal anymore, since it's not a TM. I feel like I looked into this before but could be wrong. Aromatherapy is rarely seen, I guess you could try it but Teleport is pretty bad(it gets that!?)

Corv you got the Defog thing what's highly questionable, and it's Seious nature like what. I'm the tiniest bit dubious of the item. After some IDs there's really no reason to attack Corv by contact, so it won't get utilized. I see Maranga some, maybe that?

Exca is mostly fine, but if you're bent on hazard removal(why...) keep its Rapid Spin not Corv Defog and switch Rock Tomb cause Spin ups Spe now.

Pex also Serious, what is this about?

Dragapult looks fine that I know of, never used it.

I'll try to look for threats rather than fixing up spreads but I'm way worse at that.

I think TTar is a bit of a threat. Giving Blissey an attack helps so it can't freely set up there at least. It does beat Yveltal w/o Focus Blast which is one of its big pros in the meta. Corviknight beats it just fine unless it's a weird special/mixed one but it handles Dragapult well, probably taking -Atk U-turn just fine. Ho-oh could be threatening w. it's special bulk. If it goes before Exca, which seems likely, it has a good chance to bring you to sash w. a burn via Sacred Fire. Fini looks solid against you, it can run Taunt+Whirlpool to beat Pex.

Last edited:
Well 1st off this isn't a Smogon Ubers team, it's for cart quite plainly. So use the Battle Spot tag, not SS Ubers.

EDIT: um, or is it? That's a bit unclear, because while tiers don't have seasons(or do they lol never played xd?) cart does. But defog is unviable in 3v3, more or less.
Fixed! Changed it to Battle Stadium

EDIT: ok thx that's more clear. Yveltal should be -Atk nature from what I've seen and I asked about it once on PS. That's because Dark Aura LO Sucker Punch is strong enough w/ -atk even, and it's not your main move. Meanwhile, any missed bulk is major when you're using a recovery move in Oblivion Wing.

Utility Umbrella is an item I've never seen before. I kno what it does, and it does not seem useful, on Blissey and maybe not on anything. I don't think Toxic is legal anymore, since it's not a TM. I feel like I looked into this before but could be wrong. Aromatherapy is rarely seen, I guess you could try it but Teleport is pretty bad(it gets that!?)

Corv you got the Defog thing what's highly questionable, and it's Seious nature like what. I'm the tiniest bit dubious of the item. After some IDs there's really no reason to attack Corv by contact, so it won't get utilized. I see Maranga some, maybe that?

Exca is mostly fine, but if you're bent on hazard removal(why...) keep its Rapid Spin not Corv Defog and switch Rock Tomb cause Spin ups Spe now.

Pex also Serious, what is this about?

Dragapult looks fine that I know of, never used it.

I'll try to look for threats rather than fixing up spreads but I'm way worse at that.

I think TTar is a bit of a threat. Giving Blissey an attack helps so it can't freely set up there at least. It does beat Yveltal w/o Focus Blast which is one of its big pros in the meta. Corviknight beats it just fine unless it's a weird special/mixed one but it handles Dragapult well, probably taking -Atk U-turn just fine. Ho-oh could be threatening w. it's special bulk. If it goes before Exca, which seems likely, it has a good chance to bring you to sash w. a burn via Sacred Fire. Fini looks solid against you, it can run Taunt+Whirlpool to beat Pex.
Ok, I'll adjust the Nature on Yveltal. That makes sense, and you are correct in saying that reduced power in Sucker Punch isn't love lost. I've changed the nature to Modest (should I make it Timid, or is that extra power better to have?) and changed the 4 Attack EVs to Defense.

Toxic is not illegal, but is definitely harder to put onto things. I suppose if I can't have Toxic on the Blissey (unless I move it from a prior game), I could put Seismic Toss back on, yes? I've seen Teleport on a few sets, just making sure I get the pivot in before getting hit. It's very useful with my Excadrill, since it's best utilizing Focus Sash. Aromatherapy and Teleport could be replaced, I suppose, but what would you reccomend in place of those moves? I could also swap the Umbrella for Heavy Duty Boots, I suppose!
Edit: The more I think about it, the less useful I'm thinking Blissey is. I don't know, maybe I'm overthinking it?

For the Serious natured Pokémon, that's an absolute oversight. Corv should be Impish, and Pex should be Bold. Defog has helped me break through some hazards and screens, but as I believe you pointed out, Hazard Removal might not be such a big issue in 3v3 Ranked Battles. I suppose I should swap out Defog in that case for a damaging move, like Brave Bird? Also, what do you mean by ID's? I've definitely had people making physical contact with my Corv, so the Helmet doesn't feel obsolete to me. However, I can definitely try that Maranga berry! Great suggestion! Perhaps if using a Berry I could use Acrobatics instead of Brave Bird.

Excadrill is fine, you think? Rapid Spin isn't really used much, so I could swap it for another move. Rock Tomb and Earthquake are great, though.

If I can get a Body Press off on TTar, Corv might be an answer for that, as you said. I hadn't had the pleasure of running into too many TTars yet though, so I shall experiment. Other than your current observations, would you swap out any other Pokémon/moves? Even though I plan to bring this to Shield, I do enjoy playing it against the meta in Showdown so ideally it would hold up in both formats, more or less.

Last edited:
For p2 Download to get the wrong boost do 4 SpD, not 4 Def.

I guess Teleport makes sense then. But not so much Aromatherapy, especially w/ less Toxic these days. Seismic Toss seems fine, gives you damage output for Naganadel for ex.(cause you say you're weak to its other same type companion.) And Tapu Koko, who you mostly just have Exca for atm. Yveltal and Dragapult probably do ok (damage output wise, they won't tank many hits.) vs. normal ones, I used to have AV Koko but that's probably just me. Also it's not complete Taunt bait. You don't really mean Heavy-Duty Boots on a rock neutrality, right? That'd be pretty useless. I think Chansey is better than Blissey if you're not gonna use the SpA.

Iron Defense is what I meant by ID. Maybe Helmet still isn't obsolete though, I don't know. I like Acrobatics better than 10 BP and recoil if using Maranga, or you could run Iron Head I'm sure.

Yeah, I agree on Rock Tomb. I just meant if you were set on Rapid Spin they overlap. But Rock Tomb is very good.

I feel like no fire or fighting coverage should open you up to Ferro. Grass is the other major type but fire I like on teams, for the 4x weaks. Especially cause that's the only weakness of Swampert and Quagsire. Dragapult could run Fire Blast over something. Idk where you get your grass though, how has it been w/o? Other than Chansey>Blissey idk about any mon changes it looks normal enough. Maybe put a steel move on Exca. For the fairies.

EDIT: series 11 will be same as 10 yes?

Last edited:
Ah, understood. Adjusted that EV spread.

If I go for Chansey over Blissey (while keeping the same moveset I assume), I suppose I would give it an Eviolite? I see some sets are using Confide, so perhaps that would have a place in my movepool.

Derp, of course Iron Defense. My bad lol I think I have a personal bias towards using the Helmet, but using the Berry with Acrobatics would be good. However, you bring up a good point in Iron Head, since I have no coverage for fairy types. Would you recommend adjusting the EV spread for Corv at all, or keep it as-is?

I see what you mean, with the overlap. While Rapid Spin allows me to out-speed another 'mon, it isn't like Excadrill sticks around for long anyway. Rapid Spin could come off in favor of another move. Perhaps the Fairy coverage could go on Excadrill, but I fear it won't stick around long enough to pose a threat.

I do love using Ferrothorn, but I'm trying to be a bit more aggressive than usual (albeit keeping The Pex around). I have Body Press on Corviknight for a Ferrothorn I believe, but putting Fire Blast on Dragapult would be an alternative option. That would leave me with no water coverage, but I don't think Thunder is working as well as I'd like since I only ever see Kyogre, and it can take a Thunder while knocking Dragapult out. I guess I'd thow a Toxic on Kyogre and keep my fingers crossed! Scald on Toxapex can hurt fire, though Heatran might be a problem there since Pex's main goal is Toxic/Recover stall for anything that doesn't outright threaten it.

Series 11 does appear to be the same as Series 10, though it seems Dynamaxing is permitted this time around. It is indeed one Pokémon from Ubers (as long as it isn't one of the Banned ones).

Last edited:
Chansey is definitely Eviolite. I haven't heard of Confide, that's a bit odd tbh. Maybe Calm Mind Blissey? Boost SpD rather than dropping their SpA which can be undone w/ switching. Potentially w/ Grass Knot? For the coverage and if you get rid of Thunder on Pult.

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ max/max. I wasn't thinking of Body Press, I guess you do have fighting overage for Ferro although they'll Leech Seed Corv and the Barbs hurt it...might be tough w/o Fire Blast on Pult.

You sound unsure about using Exca, is that correct? I think Rotoms are getting rarer so it's ability isn't as great. Idk about replacing it Maybe, 3/4 weaknesses of it are shared ones it's of some note. Maybe replace w. something good vs fairies? And is Haze great on Pex? S;udge Bomb still hurts Fini.

Ty for confirming the rules. Maybe I shoulda played this series instead, w/o the Dynamax...oh well.

I didn't originally even remember about Dynamax been replaying older games instead lately. W/ it back, should you run Sand Rush Exca that hopes to set-up w/ Max Rockfall? I'm also unsure how Chansey does, being useless at Dynamax even more than Pex.

That's good you were able to change the 4 EVs on Yveltal yet again, Dragapult can have 4 SpD too, I looked it has base 75 on both sides so it matters w/ p2. As for the nature on Yveltal I think Modest is fine but I wouldn't be surprised if Timid is suggested, I do not know which is better.

Last edited:
Chansey is definitely Eviolite. I haven't heard of Confide, that's a bit odd tbh. Maybe Calm Mind Blissey? Boost SpD rather than dropping their SpA which can be undone w/ switching. Potentially w/ Grass Knot? For the coverage and if you get rid of Thunder on Pult.

I don't think there is anything wrong w/ max/max. I wasn't thinking of Body Press, I guess you do have fighting overage for Ferro although they'll Leech Seed Corv and the Barbs hurt it...might be tough w/o Fire Blast on Pult.

You sound unsure about using Exca, is that correct? I think Rotoms are getting rarer so it's ability isn't as great. Idk about replacing it Maybe, 3/4 weaknesses of it are shared ones it's of some note. Maybe replace w. something good vs fairies? And is Haze great on Pex? S;udge Bomb still hurts Fini.

Ty for confirming the rules. Maybe I shoulda played this series instead, w/o the Dynamax...oh well.
Noted. Buffing myself instead of de-buffing my opponent sounds like a much safer option... wasting a slot on Confide didn't seem like a good idea to me, but all the Smogon sets have it listed as an option. Calm Mind sounds more my style. Grass Knot might be good too, purely for the coverage, as Fire Blast on Dragapult sounds terrific.

No, I'm pretty comfortable with Excadrill. If anything, I'm acutely aware of my inexperience and was wondering how the team would hold up as a unit. It sounds like for the most part, it's pretty solid, so that's neat! The Blissey was the one I was unsure of, as well as a lack of Steel attacks, but it sounds like those issues are solved! I can pop Iron Head on both Corviknight (in place of Defog) and Excadrill (in place of Rapid Spin. I swapped the Blissey for Chansey, and will put either Calm Mind in place of Aromatherapy, or Grass Knot in place of Seismic Toss. Dragapult will get Fire Blast instead of Thunder.

Haze is good on Pex, in my opinion, against set-up mons. I can debuff a Garchomp, for instance (and hopefully survive an Earthquake) or a Calm Mind set so their defenses don't become unmanageable. I was considering placing a poison stab on Pex, but I figure Scald is good enough to get the Burn active. Something like Fini can be an issue with Misty Surge, but if I can outlast those 5 turns I'll be able to get Toxic online.

And sure, thank you for all your advice! Feel free to continue telling me how to improve, of course lol I don't know for sure if Dynamaxing is allowed this series, as I know it wasn't last time.

CM sounds better than Confide for sure...I wonder why Confide is listed. Even if you don't use Grass Knot, +1 SpD>-1 their SPA. As far as I can tell. You may need Blissey if Grass Knot, cause Chansey has so low SpA.

The team looks fine though.

CM sounds better than Confide for sure...I wonder why Confide is listed. Even if you don't use Grass Knot, +1 SpD>-1 their SPA. As far as I can tell. You may need Blissey if Grass Knot, cause Chansey has so low SpA.

The team looks fine though.
Ooh, great catch. I'll definitely put Blissey back in, if Grass Knot is going on. I'll just have to figure out an item for it... maybe another Berry, or move that Rocky Helmet over lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)