Lower Tiers Sword and Shield UU Discussion Thread

Rae

as sharp as the mind
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
op stolen from the ou thread! approved by clementine

SS UU Discussion Thread

This thread is dedicated to the discussion of the SS UU metagame. Discussion topics span from such things as metagame developments, set innovations, and general observations you have noticed as of late. You are welcome to post anything you like as far as the metagame goes, with a few simple rules.

Rules:
  • Do not ask simple questions here; instead, post them to our "Simple Question, Simple Answer" thread.
  • Do not post one-liners that contribute nothing to the discussion. We do not ask that you write giant paragraphs with each post; we simply ask that you ensure your post has substance and adds to the discussion.
  • Posts should bear in mind the standard clauses, mods, and bans that are in place for the SS UU metagame:
Clauses & Mods

Here are some prompts to help guide your thinking:
  • What are your personal favorite Pokemon to use in the metagame, and why?
  • What current cores do you find to be strong or fun to use?
  • Do you like the current metagame, or find it to be well balanced? Why or why not?

Remember that at any point, moderators have the discretion to intervene or remove posts as necessary.

Last edited:

Rae

as sharp as the mind
is a Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
To kick us off, I'd like to talk about some fun Pokemon I love using in the tier!

:sv/rotom-wash:

I feel like Rotom-Wash is an incredible Pokemon in the tier, functioning as a solid pivot into a large amount of the metagame, notably Hippowdon, Scizor, Celesteela and Mamoswine. The ability to spread status with Will-o-Wisp and Thunder Wave is always incredibly handy, and being a Defogger that can immediately punish common hazard setters is great. Pain Split constantly punishes common Chansey balance teams, and Rotom's fantastic synergy with a number of common offensive teammates like Scizor, Zarude, Nihilego and Hydreigon, as well as pairing well with defensive pieces like Salamence, Amoonguss, Nidoqueen and Tangrowth makes Rotom a fantastic glue and teammate, pairing well with a multitude of different Pokemon on Bulky Offense structures.

:Sv/Zarude:

Whether its Boots or Scarf, Zarude is a poweful offensive pivot and revenge killer, capable of checking Excadrill and Primarina most notably, making it a strong option for a lot of teams that love its ability to force switches and punch holes through teams that may lack a safe switch-in. There's a lot to love about the monkey, and as someone who has always leaned towards the kinds of structures it commonly finds itself on I feel like not mentioning it here would be unfair. It's a fast, strong Pokemon that rewards good play and reminds you to stay humble in your approach offensively while having the potential to blow teams back. Even the Bulk Up set is worth a mention as probably my favourite set up sweeper in the tier.

:sv/Lycanroc-Dusk:

If you know anything about me and my relationship with this tier, it's that I am this dog's number one fan, and no matter what I will constantly tell you that it is better than most people think. Lycanroc has the incredible potential to break apart defensive cores, but struggles greatly with the fact that it often has to kill itself due to Life Orb and potential Rocky Helmet Pokemon lying about. Choice Band variants are also very strong and tend to do well into offense, but lack the ability to switch between moves and therefore make it much more prediction reliant, This aside though, with the Amoonguss becoming more popular than Tangrowth, the surge of Cobalion and Crobat usage, as well as the popularity of Chansey and Salamence balance teams, Lycanroc-D may have a shot at becoming more popular because of its breaking potential.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just a small post for now, but I hope others join on talking about the tier :D

stay fresh​

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)