Project SV ZU Teambuilding Competition

:girafarig:-:hakamo-o:-:clefairy:-:camerupt:-:stonjourner:-:krokorok:
Offensive mons
:girafarig: :hakamo-o:
So I've been wanting to use giraf for a while now and got inspired by a set I saw on ladder, cm rest 2 attacks. Giraf has a great speed tier and good bulk with eviolite which gets it a ton of setup opportunity. I then added another mon i haven't used much in Haka. A dragon dance set seemed obvious with drain punch for recovery to compound its great physical bulk. Haka is also a nice check to rarer mons like Wuggy and Scov.

:Krokorok: Bro got knock off now apparently. To round out the offense, scarf Krok revenge kills and cleans up teams with its dangerous stabs.

Defensive core

:Clefairy: Clefairy is a great defensive utility mon. I used encore on it to screw with mons like Pawniard and Grumpig who think they can setup on it.

:Camerupt: - Camerupt is a great special tank that can hit surprisingly hard, i slotted in protect on it to farm as much lefties recovery as i could, and to rack up burn damage. EVs to live 2 stonj eqs from full w/ protect.

:Stonjourner: Stonj is stonj, physical tank and rocker, ironpress allows stonj to be very threatening lategame aswell as beat physical setup mons.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9zu-1963872508
Ill add more later, or not.

:hakamo-o: :frogadier: :clefairy: :sliggoo-hisui: :vullaby: :dunsparce:

How about an NFE dream team instead. Haka is the wincon utilizing sub DD but you can opt for iron head over sub if you wanna break through clefairy more easily. Frogadier is a solid pivot and a decent speed tier. Clefairy provides util with knock / twave and consistenish dmg through night shade. Then I added the classic Sliggoo Vull Dunsparce core because it was easy lmao. You're gonna try and win most of your games by statusing stuff with your walls in order to force progress and create situations for Haka to win.

:grimer:-:clefairy:-:dusclops:-:dunsparce:-:toedscool:-:glaceon:

My teambuilding process for this team was very simple. If I'm using a lot of eviolite, I want something to eat up knock off, and after a little tinkering, sticky hold grimer looked extremly good, with curse, drain punch, poison jab, and shadow sneak of all things. it eats knocks for breakfast, and can setup and sweep if given the chance, and as a bonus absorbs tspikes like they are nothing. Next came clefairy, pretty standard set to play around hazards and eat burns, nothing too fancy but very important on this kinda team. The final piece of the puzzle for the core is dusclops, which I came up with after noticing it had leech life, a powerful healing move, and then i maxed its attack, slapped in facade to bait burns, and polter which hits wayy to hard for a pokemon with effective defensive stats of 210 each. i added curse with tera to give sweeping potential, but havent gotten one yet. The next two are dunsparce, a solid wincon if given the chance and toed, the only ground type who can remove hazards and set tspikes, and the last slot is glaceon, because its a good mon, and I didn't know what else to include, I just knew I kept losing to other glaceon

Possible changes:
there wont be many possible changes for this that I can recommend, because I'm dogsh*t at this game and cannot play this team well enough to truly understand its strengths and weakness, or what changes need to be made
the one thing I can give is that there are likely better picks than glaceon, like hgoo or a wallbreaker, maybe final gambit squak to pick off troublesome mons stopping a sweep

I invite all of you guys to try this team out and make changes, I want to see people making it work consistently, because I think this team is really fun, and I firmly believe it would be good if I would stop making incredibly stupid plays and throwing games

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Tired of seeing Monferno run away with sweeps? Exhausted at Vullaby staving off endless attacks with its bulk? Want to see NFE Pokemon used to their most creative potential? Introducing...
MONO DRAGON NFE OFFENSE
:Gible: :Sliggoo-Hisui: :Hakamo-O: :Fraxure: :Drakloak: :Dragonair:
As every team needs a Stealth Rock setter, Gible was the team's lead Stealth Rock setter. Gible's rare access to Scale Shot enables it to outspeed other offensive Stealth Rock setters like Krokorok and Monferno after a Scale Shot boost. Rough Skin, while not useful, can be decent at getting some chip from contact moves. Sliggoo-Hisui was the team's sole wall, being useful at weathering both physical and special hits. I gave it more physical bulk EVs to make it better at surviving attacks like Banette and Stonjourner. Hakamo-O was the team's first wincon/sweeper, using Bulletproof, great bulk, and Swords Dance + Scale Shot + Substitute to ward off any Crocalor and non-Encore Clefairy. Fraxure helped wallbreak with Choice Band, checking fast threats like Frogadier and Girafarig with First impression and having threatening coverage to back up its high Attack. Drakloak was Speed control, being an all-out attacker with Heavy-Duty Boots to avoid the loss in Speed and being a good spinblocker against rare Rapid Spinners, Carkoal and Toedscool. Dragonair rounded out the team by being a second wincon, being a second sweeper with Dragon Dance, Shed Skin for absorbing status, and being a second priority user with Extreme Speed. Dragon Rush and Hydro Pump were chosen for flinching walls like Mareanie and being less exploitable/risky than Outrage, and to lure in Stonjourner and physically defensive Camerupt, respectively.

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
For this week of the Teambuilding Competition, your challenge is to build a *type* spam team:
Build a team featuring at least 2 mons that share a type (even better if offensive mons) and post in in this thread with a brief description.
Deadline is Friday 20th at 10 pm GMT+2.
Have fun!

5Dots

Chairs
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
:scovillain: :sandshrew: :monferno: :Clefairy: :Lumineon: :Stonjourner:
Specs Scovillain + SD Monferno
Click on the sprites to see the paste!

An underrated yet powerful breaker in an old meta, Specs Scovillain can still tear teams apart with its STAB coverage and imposing Special Attack. I went with Modest to be as threatening as possible, though Timid can be elected to outspeed Glaceon, Hakamo-O, and Stonjourner. Tera Fairy would give it a way to resist both of Hakamo-O's STABs, give it a Stealth Rock neutrality, and check most Monferno sets in a pinch. Sandshrew was a necessary Spinner, alleviating Scovillain's vulnerability to hazards and providing Stealth Rock and Knock Off support. I chose Fire Punch over Knock Off for standard SD Monferno, making it better against Vespiquen and Clefairy. Clefairy itself helped dish out support with Thunder Wave and Knock Off, helping cripple faster foes and being annoying against defensive walls at once, while being a great Special wall. Lumineon provided a Water immunity against Wugtrio and Encore support, which helped against Grumpig and other setup sweepers like Girafarig and Greedent. Scarf Stonjourner rounded things off by providing Speed control and being overall a powerful physical attacker even without boosting items like Life Orb or Choice Band. This team relies a lot on Clefairy to tank special hits, so watch out for special attackers like Grumpig, Girafraig, and Glaceon (who knows, maybe your own Scovillain too!).

Last edited:

BaitWiz

hisuian zorua my beloved
is a Pre-Contributor
:squawkabilly: :greedent: :stonjourner: :clefairy: :grumpig: :ampharos:

Squawkabilly + Greedent Balance
(paste in the sprites above)
This week I wanted to build around what I find to be two of the strongest normal breakers in the tier, Squawkabilly and Greedent, and this was a cool opportunity to do so.
:squawkabilly: :greedent: - Two excellent breakers to start off the team. Squawkabilly is nearly peerless in immediate power with its Guts-boosted STAB Facade, while Greedent sports amazing bulk and access to Knock Off, allowing it to often trade itself for at least one Pokemon and chipping a second Pokemon, if not outright taking two kills. Squawkabilly typically fulfills its role as a cleaner, but often can break for itself in early and midgame as well as act as an offensive pivot for its teammates.

:stonjourner: - Iron Defense Stonjourner has seen a tad bit of a falloff due to Heat Crash being as excellent of a tool as it is for more offensive variants of Stonjourner, but it's one of the few mons that can fully shut down Hakamo-o after it gets rolling with Terastalization and is still able to blanket check a significant portion of the physical metagame. The spread seems a little wacky at first, but max defense maximizes Body Press' damage while max Speed investment maintains Stonjourner's Speed advantage over staples like Banette, Pawniard, and Hakamo-o while tying opposing offensive Stonjourner.

:clefairy: - Physically Defensive Clefairy is one of the most consistent checks to Fighting-types in the tier and is quite annoying in its own right with its ability to Knock Off items, spread paralysis, and deal consistent damage with Night Shade. It also helps quite a bit that Clef is fully immune to both status and hazards thanks to Magic Guard.

:grumpig: - Grumpig helps patch up matchups against opposing Psychics while being threatening in its own right against opposing Fighting-types. Pretty solid general Special Attacker that can switch into opposing special attackers once or twice as well as setup with Nasty Plot to break through walls like Ampharos and opposing psychics.

:ampharos: - Ampharos once again arrives to act as a slower pivot that dissuades opposing U-Turn and Knock Off spam with Static and boasts respectable bulk in its own right. This Ampharos also has a pretty respectable offensive presence and Dragon Tail to dissuade Camerupt switch-ins.

Strengths: This team aims to overload the most common physical checks in the tier (mainly Stonjourner and physically defensive Dunsparce) before bowling over everything else. Iron Defense Stonjourner is definitely more of a fringe pick these days, making it all the more powerful imo - meanwhile, the rest of the mons are fairly standard as far as their sets go, though Clefairy's choice between Physically and Specially Defensive tends to vary from team to team.

Weaknesses: Lack of hazard control means that Squawkabilly and Greedent won't get many opportunities to get work done, meaning that they will have to pick their opportunities to break carefully and often sooner rather than later. This team also somewhat struggles in the Speed control department - Squawkabilly and Grumpig boast reasonable Speed in their own regards and Squawkabilly carries Quick Attack for reliable priority into opposing threats like Frogadier and Dedenne, but otherwise Clefairy's paralysis and the bulk of Stonjourner and Ampharos are the main backbone of the team versus faster threats.

Last edited:
:Hakamo-o:-:Sliggoo-Hisui:-:Pawniard:-:Krokorok:-:Camerupt:-:Monferno:

So I saw the challenge this week and the first thing I thought was that "that's not all that interesting of a challenge, just slap two normal types in and call it good". To make things a bit more interesting, I introduce:
The type circle team! Every single mon share one type with the money before, and one with the mon after, essentially completing this week's challenge 6 times over. And surprisingly, it's a decent team.

I started the team with Krokorok, because I had been wanting to try a scarf set on it for a while, and I saw an idea floating around for using earth power to counter stonjorner, and I really liked the idea, so I gave it the perfect EV's to outspeed scarf ston and oneshot all variants, with ironpress needing rocks for it not to be a range. I then added earthquake and tera water aqua tail, and after trying crunch I switched to knock off.

I then added tera flying pawniard to provide a decent wincon as it can easily set up on incoming fighting or ground attacks and sweep with an average speed tier and powerful stab sucker punch. I personally really like pawniard and think he is a very slept on pick in the meta at the moment.

Hgoo was the next pick, as easily the best steel type in the tier and a much needed special attacker and wall. Im using it's most common set, and if it's not broke don't fix it. The two steel types on the team have so far definitely provided me with the most value.

I decided that the obvious choice for a dragon type was haka, as he is a fantastic defensive pivot into many common attacking types, and packs a powerful punch once he gets a chance to set up. I chose bulk up over sd to provide an easy win in late game situations where it is too difficult to break through before he gets going, as opposed to being revenge killed after one kill, which can often happen to the SD set

Monferno is the only other meta relevant fighting type in the tier, and also allowed for camel to round out the circle being fire and ground type. I really liked 5Dots' set so I pretty much just copied it and slapped it in, and I have not been disappointed.

Rounding the team off is camel, with tera grass tera blast to punish ground types and ohko lumineon and other water types as they try to grab an easy ko. Kinda wish I had a better rocker, but then I wouldn't be able to keep the theme of the team while still using the sets I wanted to on the other mons that know the move.

Personally, I think the team is a very fun team to play, it's a little hazard weak but I haven't struggled too much with them so far. It does lack breaking for some dedicated stall teams, but preforms well against most balance teams and slightly more offensive ones.

Double Poison
:seviper: :weepinbell: :drakloak: :krokorok: :lumineon: :raboot:

I wanted to use Seviper because of new addition in Knock Off (I didn't even give it Knock lol), and it's extreme potency when granted an opportunity to setup. I built this team when Drakloak dropped in August, and was fairy successful in using it. Unfortunately, PU are thieves who stole Thwackey, so I decided to replace the grass monkey with defensive Weepinbell, who I've enjoyed in this meta. While a bit unorthodox, it does a superb job of punishing passive pokemon and even without Sp.Def invest still answers Ampharos and Dedenne well. Drakloak was on the original team, and helps give Seviper opportunities to setup with its Statuses. Scarf Krok provides speed control + rocks if necessary. Lumineon and Raboot are solid pivots that help get Seviper on to the field more easily.

:stonjourner:-:Pupitar:-:Glimmet:-:Spidops:-:Prinplup:-:Fletchinder:
I decided to go with a little bit of rock spam since Stonjouner has such a heavy presence in the tier right now. It's The typical scarf set, with d dance Pupitar and suicide lead Glimmet as a way to hazard stack and make it easier to break bulky teams. I went with spidops as a web setter here, so that +1 pupitar would have more of an impact, and circle throw will discourage most defensive-oriented teams from trying to force a switch. Prinplup is here to disincline defoggers from doing their job because of competitive, pressuring with potentially even more chip damage and allows for a little momentum with flip-turn. Finally, we have an offensive Fletchinder with gale wings as its ability with the moves brave bird, defog, roost, and u-turn. i feel like this mon is just a little underrated at times, and can come in clutch if given a chance with a priority brave bird. As for weaknesses, Dusclops is one this team has a big issue with. The thing is just SO damn bulky and can rest up its damage, but I feel with a creative mind, you can swap a member or two to adjust to this.

diegoyuhhi

our shared past and our lost future
is a Pre-Contributor
Week 3 has ended, and this week we've got some really cool teams:

Team 1: :scovillain: :sandshrew: :monferno: :Clefairy: :Lumineon: :Stonjourner: Fire Spam (Specs Scov + SD Monf) by 5Dots

Team 2: :squawkabilly: :greedent: :stonjourner: :clefairy: :grumpig: :ampharos: Normal Spam (Squawk + Greedent) by BaitWiz

Team 3: :Hakamo-o: :Sliggoo-Hisui: :Pawniard: :Krokorok: :Camerupt: :Monferno: Type Circle by Joethezombie

Team 4: :seviper: :weepinbell: :drakloak: :krokorok: :lumineon: :raboot: Poison Spam (SD Seviper + Weep) by TomatoZause

Team 5: :stonjourner: :Pupitar: :Glimmet: :Spidops: :Prinplup: :Fletchinder: Rock Spam (Scarf Stonj + DD Pup + Glimmet) by Dr.Unfuntimez

Vote for your two favourite teams!
Deadline to vote is Sunday 22th at 10pm GMT+2.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)