Resource SV UU DLC 2 Viability Rankings- Update at Post #85

1711985883014.png

:Cobalion: to B: While this update typically focused on adjusting Pokemon in the S to B+ ranks, we felt we had to vote on Cobalion due to it being severely underranked compared to its usage. Cobalion has stood out with its Iron Defense + Body Press sweeping set, using its great defense to boost up and offensively threaten a lot of Pokemon such as Mamoswine, Lokix, Azumarill, and Tinkaton as well as being able to check foes like Excadrill and Tyranitar with a good Tera. Volt Switch keeps it from being passive as well, and it can even compress Stealth Rock if needed. It’s still got its flaws, but with how much usage it’s gotten Cobalion has definitely proven itself to be more than a mediocre B- Pokemon and enters solid B tier to reflect it being more of a decent but underexplored Pokemon in the UU metagame.

I have noticed that despite latest update saying Cobal rose to B its still B- on actual ranking

New drops here, lets discuss

:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: we all know it, we all hate it, rain is back baby! Now with a zapdos special, this baby destroys all non-Gastrodon teams, including sand teams thanks to the addition of Excadrill! Boosts Zapdos to S-, peli to B/B- thanks to overall massive new viability that rain experiences, and Barra is going in A tier because we all know he's just that guy with Peli support, and now he's not even scared of water absorb mons thanks to the Zapdos and specs grass knot Tornadus in the back. Additionally, every Water Absorb and Storm drain mon rises at least by 1 tier.

:Iron Boulder: Way, way too strong. Not a lot of mon can handle it, way too fast for the tier with and without booster for its strength. Goatkix(Lokix) is the only mon that can save us from its short lived wrath, but orthworm and slowking/metagross are also option depending on what coverage option it chooses, Earthquake and Close Combat respectively.

New drops here, lets discuss

:Pelipper: :Barraskewda: we all know it, we all hate it, rain is back baby! Now with a zapdos special, this baby destroys all non-Gastrodon teams, including sand teams thanks to the addition of Excadrill! Boosts Zapdos to S-, peli to B/B- thanks to overall massive new viability that rain experiences, and Barra is going in A tier because we all know he's just that guy with Peli support, and now he's not even scared of water absorb mons thanks to the Zapdos and specs grass knot Tornadus in the back. Additionally, every Water Absorb and Storm drain mon rises at least by 1 tier.

:Iron Boulder: Way, way too strong. Not a lot of mon can handle it, way too fast for the tier with and without booster for its strength. Goatkix(Lokix) is the only mon that can save us from its short lived wrath, but orthworm and slowking/metagross are also option depending on what coverage option it chooses, Earthquake and Close Combat respectively.
for boulder there is also scizor,which i honestly believe can handle the job better than lokix since it doesn't die to random tera

for boulder there is also scizor,which i honestly believe can handle the job better than lokix since it doesn't die to random tera
Incorrect, Scizor doesn't even kill without tera a non-terad iron boulder. It does come close tho, but it looses if boulder is tera
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Quark Drive Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 381-448 (110.7 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Lokix meanwhile:
252+ Atk Lokix First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 330-390 (102.8 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Incorrect, Scizor doesn't even kill without tera a non-terad iron boulder. It does come close tho, but it looses if boulder is tera
252+ Atk Technician Scizor Bullet Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 260-308 (80.9 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252 Atk Quark Drive Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 381-448 (110.7 - 130.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Lokix meanwhile:
252+ Atk Lokix First Impression vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Iron Boulder: 330-390 (102.8 - 121.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Azu is a fine check to boulder aswell.
Also the calxs u have shown on boulder have quark drive boost.. At +2 it's not guaranteed to knock out scizor from full without hazards
+2 252 Atk Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 294-346 (94.5 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Same with Azu aswell. (for the offensive sets. If they are bulky it can take even boosted cleave after sr)

Azu is a fine check to boulder aswell.
Also the calxs u have shown on boulder have quark drive boost.. At +2 it's not guaranteed to knock out scizor from full without hazards
+2 252 Atk Iron Boulder Mighty Cleave vs. 120 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 294-346 (94.5 - 111.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
Same with Azu aswell. (for the offensive sets. If they are bulky it can take even boosted cleave after sr)
Azu is a poor check when Boulder teras, and both it and Scizor drop to +2 Mighty Cleave with rocks up which is a scenario you should always be considering.

and that’s the issue in the grand scheme of things. Priority being one of the only way to handle it offensively, and that’s easily bypassed by Tera.

:hydrapple: B+ -> A
Hydrapple is one mon that enjoyed the tier shifts a lot, Iron Moth leaving the tier as well Garchomp being banned makes it much more potent as a defensive wall.

Hydrapples defensive profile is pretty incredible in current meta, resisting water, electric, ground and grass, three of which are quad resistances, is very valuable. With Regenerator and its bulk its just an extremely fat wall being able to take hits from the likes of Ogerpon-Cornerstone and Iron Boulder. It shrugs off hits from Excadrill and is just all around difficult to break through. This is further augmented by Tera allowing it to flip its weaknesses and resistances once the original traits are no longer needed.

Hydrapple also is potent offensively bolstering a combination of types that are pretty difficult to switch around as well as Nasty Plot.

It's a very potent glue for the tier right now.

Monky25

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
With the end of the UUPL regular season in addition to it being more than 2 weeks since the drops happened, the VR team felt now was an appropriate time to update the VR. We voted on every Pokemon on the VR, with all the changes that occurred being down below. Due to the amount of changes made in this update, the VR thread will be open for a 48 hour period to ask questions about any changes that did or did not take place during this update. Please refrain from repeating questions as well as making any other nominations during this period. After this period is up, the thread will be open for the community to make nominations. Also, ThatOneApple was added to the VR team. Be sure to say your congratulations!

New Additions / Rises
  • :Barraskewda: (New Drop) to A-
  • :Pelipper: (New Drop) to A-
  • :Tornadus-Therian: from A+ to S-
  • :Zapdos: from A+ to S-
  • :Lokix: from A to A+
  • :Slowking: from A to A+
  • :Hydrapple: from B+ to A+
  • :Arcanine-Hisui: from B+ to A-
  • :Scizor: from B+ to A-
  • :Cobalion: from B to B+
  • :Sandy Shocks: from B- to B
  • :Rhyperior: from C+ to B+
  • :Araquanid: from C+ to B-
  • :Mimikyu: from C+ to B-
  • :Zarude: from C to B
  • :Thundurus-Therian: from C to B-
  • :Brambleghast: from UR to C
  • :Gardevoir: from UR to C
Drops
  • :Latios: from S- to A+
  • :Greninja: from A to A-
  • :Tyranitar: from A to A-
  • :Mandibuzz: from A- to B+
  • :Metagross: from A- to B+
  • :Rotom-Wash: from A- to B+
  • :Raikou: from B+ to B
  • :Hawlucha: from B to B-
  • :Jirachi: from B to B-
  • :Pecharunt: from B to B-
  • :Quaquaval: from B to B-
  • :Enamorus-Therian: from B to C+
  • :Manaphy: from B to C+
  • :Cinccino: from B- to C+
  • :Goodra-Hisui: from B- to C+
  • :Hoopa-Unbound: from B- to C+
  • :Hydreigon: from B- to C+
  • :Indeedee: from B- to C+
  • :Magnezone: from B- to C+
  • :Gengar: from C+ to C
  • :Iron Leaves: from C+ to C
  • :Polteageist: from C+ to C
  • :Scream Tail: from C+ to C
  • :Azelf: :Cresselia: :Espeon: :Zapdos-Galar: :Kilowattrel :Kleavor: :Politoed: :Reuniclus: :Suicune: :Swampert: :Sylveon: and :Thundurus: all from C to UR

Firstly, congrats to ThatOneApple for getting on the VR team.
  • :Brambleghast: from UR to C
  • :Gardevoir: from UR to C
Just wondering what niches these mons have in the tier?
:Metagross: from A- to B+
Why did metagross fall? It still looks like an amazing mon that can compress multiple roles on a team (priority, steel typing and massive damage)
:Gengar: from C+ to C
Why did gengar fall? I've been using it quite a lot and it really cleans up games with choice scarf.

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor

Why did metagross fall? It still looks like an amazing mon that can compress multiple roles on a team (priority, steel typing and massive damage)

Why did gengar fall? I've been using it quite a lot and it really cleans up games with choice scarf.
Brambleghast has found a niche in the fact that it can switch in to the birds using their flying stab or heat wave and then fire off a powerful +1 poltergeist, while also being a spiker that can annoy drill even if it doesn’t outright beat it.

Gardevoir pmuch just boils down to running scarf trace to be scary into rain while also being irritating for Hydrapple, and fairy stab in general can be pretty scary

Metagross fell due to its defensive utility kinda being shakier than initially thought due to latios running tbolt more than luster combined with the fact that it really can’t fit all the moves it wants, as it wants all of heavy slam knock eq ice punch rocks and to a lesser extent bullet punch.

Gengar (at least in my opinion) struggles from being a special attacker that’s a lot harder to get use out of compared to its competition, as it’s bulk is bad and many teams tend to just be prepared for it naturally via things like AV torn or tinkaton. Its definitely not terrible and some kind of special offense overload team with it as the main focus could be interesting but overall it’s kinda limited in terms of where it fits.

I may have missed some stuff since it’s kinda my first time doin this but I think that’s the gist of it.

also thanks for the congrats

As a big metagross believer, I gotta admit it's weaknesses are surprisingly more common than you think. Greninja, Lokix, Zapdos, Arcanine, etc easily threaten massive damage, if not ohko without massive investment. Meanwhile Metagross fails to really threaten them back in return with it's lackluster speed tier.

Even with slower paced pokemon they aren't very scared of a metagross lacking explosion. Heavy slam is great but water and steel types can live plenty and won't be hurt much by weaker coverage options.

The biggest problem for Metagross is a steel/psychic typing physical mon with lackluster coverage not being amazing in UU. Choice band and weakness policy is great for patching up damage but can be too prediction reliant, Leftovers is not very worth it as Metagross gets worn down too much too quickly by even neutral damage and can easily be pivoted around.

> As a big metagross believer, I gotta admit it's weaknesses are surprisingly more common than you think. Greninja, Lokix, Zapdos, Arcanine, etc easily threaten massive damage, if not ohko without massive investment. Meanwhile Metagross fails to really threaten them back in return with it's lackluster speed tier.

Ehh on Zapdos. While it can't beat it itself (not defensive variants anyways), but Zap is not threatening massive damage back let alone an OHKO. The big thing about that match up is Meta knocking off Zapdos' boots which is not insignificant. Still I agree with the drop as it has lesser defensive reach than initially thought.

> As a big metagross believer, I gotta admit it's weaknesses are surprisingly more common than you think. Greninja, Lokix, Zapdos, Arcanine, etc easily threaten massive damage, if not ohko without massive investment. Meanwhile Metagross fails to really threaten them back in return with it's lackluster speed tier.

Ehh on Zapdos. While it can't beat it itself (not defensive variants anyways), but Zap is not threatening massive damage back let alone an OHKO. The big thing about that match up is Meta knocking off Zapdos' boots which is not insignificant. Still I agree with the drop as it has lesser defensive reach than initially thought.
0 SpA Zapdos Heat Wave vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 180-214 (49.4 - 58.7%) -- 74.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Zapdos does threaten it back for big damage, even if it is defensive. Heat wave is used 68% of the time, so it is pretty common.
252 SpA Zapdos Thunder vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: 192-226 (52.7 - 62%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
If they are using it on a rain team, Zapdos thunder is destroying it.
Metagross does get to knock off the Zapdos' boots, so it isn't getting out of the situation scot free, but unless they are not running heat wave or thunder, then metagross does not win at all.

Last edited:

Yeah, I don't know why I was gassing up zapdos like heat wave could ohko it, I just distinctly remember getting walled by it amd it easily pivoting into something way more threatening.

Why did Hydrapple jump all the way up to A+? Same question for other large jumps such as Rhyperior and Zarude.

Why did Quaquaval fall to B-?
Hydrapple is currently an amazing defensive mon with decent offensive potential, capable of spamming a lot of it's moves while answering threats like Excadrill, barraskewda and other physical attackers, even if it's limited against the birds and Lokix.
Rhyperior is a rocker and a great answer to the birds outside of rain, although suffers from being frailer on the special side.
Idk about Zarude man still waiting on it
Quaquaval has a lot more difficulties setting up in the modern meta, with the birds being good against it, Lokix revenge killing through tera, and Excadrill outspeeding it, as well as Hydrapple blanket walling it without swords dance. It's also a lot slower, base 85 speed is not what it used to be

j0nathan

formerly trainer_j0nathan
grats ThatOneApple
Anyways, I've been using battle b greninja in rain and it honestly feels incredible. It has priority, surf, dark pulse and coverage.
It only dropped a little bit but I still wonder why?

Edit: Just realised that gren now has the same ranking as skewda and pelli. Now this makes even more sense.

Last edited:

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
grats ThatOneApple
Anyways, I've been using battle b greninja in rain and it honestly feels incredible. It has priority, surf, dark pulse and coverage.
It only dropped a little bit but I still wonder why?
From what ive seen of gren recently is that it is for the most part locked to rain, it is certainly a very good option on it but its ranking pairs it next to the rain guys as a show of how it mostly fits on that playstyle

It can probably fit on some HO's too but big thing is that it really hates the rise of lokix as a revenge killer and slotting protect to try and stop fimp really sucks to have to do.

Also thanks for the congrats

Imagine going from one of the best Pokemon in UU for four straight generations only to be complete garbage now. What the fuck happened to my boy Swampert?

And also poor Kleavor went from a UU staple to trash in the same generation. I think power creep has gone too far.
Kleavor is stonewalled (get it) by all the S rank Pokémon

Last edited:
Imagine going from one of the best Pokemon in UU for four straight generations only to be complete garbage now. What the fuck happened to my boy Swampert?

And also poor Kleavor went from a UU staple to trash in the same generation. I think power creep has gone too far.
it was never good btw in UU... it was ok in early days but not special

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)