Metagame SV RU Metagame Discussion (Moltres-Galar banned, see post #104)

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 566523
I feel like we've seen different parts of the ladder. While I agree with most of what's shown (in green), I feel like I've seen an uptick of some of those mons (in red), so I don't see them dropping anytime soon. Shiftry and Torterra I can see staying one more month in UU depending on how much they were spammed at the beginning of october.

How can you say that when we're (probably) getting THE best krook counter in the game? (I do agree with the feeling that krook will keep being amazing tho)

:dipplin:
Dipplin @ Eviolite
Ability: Sticky Hold
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Giga Drain
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Dragon Tail

With Sticky Hold, you're a guaranteed counter to almost all krook sets, with the only exception being choice band Gunk Shot, which is not really that common. Not only that, but you sit on all the current viable ground types on the tier and most grass types, only fearing Decidueye-H's Triple Arrows due to the defense drops + flinch chances.

Honestly, I'm quite excited for the potential drops :]
Tera Bug could help with Heci problem but being weak to all hazzards sucks

Can't wait for dipplin to get a real competitive niche in a tier

to avoid this becoming a one-liner, I will mention that out of the potential pokemon dropping, gengar seems the most interesting. I wonder how it will fare, and if it will be able to spinblock effectively or not. It would have a pretty decent match-up against most spinners in the tier (assuming it doesn't get eviscerated by a poltergeist from bramble and a knock off from tsareena), although with donphan dropping, its more up-in-the-air with how it'll fare if it does drop. I bet chestnaught will keep on being the great defensive wall it always was, and if chandelure drops (i hope to god it does, my boy needs to get back in this tier; not for any actual metagame improvement but after SS I'm a big fan) then the metagame will truely be complete. I honestly predict that we're gonna see an uptick in either arcanine or guts users assuming that talonflame drops, cause otherwise burns are going to be a big stifler for physical offense teams. In fact, no matter what we're gonna be getting status spreading mons. So prepare for that, just in case. And prepare for the RU special: day 1 QBs !!

Little CurseLax set I made, given he’s NUBL:
CurseLax with a twist (Snorlax) @ Aguav Berry/Leftovers
Ability: Gluttony/Thick Fat
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Curse
- Body Slam
- Earthquake/Recycle/High Horsepower
Block, Tera Ghost, Curse on Choice-Locked fighting types and special attackers not using Dark/Ghost Moves and do the funny removal strat. If you set up 1-2 curses before Tera, you can possibly sweep.
Note: look out for scrappy

https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/usage-based-tier-update-for-november-2023.3730640/

oh my god it's everything i ever wanted. Maushold? Milotic? quagsire?? this is peak. Honestly.

Ttar is back where he belongs ( :3 ), we got the Zoroark-Hisui, and torterra is here to be funny. peak, absolutely peak I cannot explain how much I love these tier shifts. Actual meta presences, actually decent metagame additions, and nothing immediately broken. and the dipplin GOAT is here

Hazard Control is fixed. set-up sweepers are fixed. and Drey88 can use his bigshot immunity team

Wow the quality of drops is amazing ngl outside of 2 or 3 mons the rest look to be RU staples for now (until dlc 2 happen and the tier become pre Home OU lmao)

:lilligant-hisui: :zoroark-hisui: looks to be the more broken of the bunch. Lilli-H with Victory Dance and a great attack stat cortesy of Hustle look to be broken imo (at least 80% of the time) and Horoak could become annoying with Illusion shenanigans while having 3 inmunities.

:milotic: :hippowdon: :tinkaton: :tyranitar: :quagsire: :chesnaught: All are great addition to Balance and Bulky Offense squad. Specially Quag for being a fully evolved Unaware user for more Stall oriented teams

:donphan: :cyclizar: :talonflame: :maushold: / :shiftry: A ton of new removal option...

:fezandipiti: :dipplin: :shiftry: Are the sus mon that look like november is a 1 month stop in RU to continue there decent into more lower tiers

Good look for all playing this UU prehome meta RU tier in november!!!!!

This Gen's RU is this Gen's UU pre-DLC. Guess it's time to switch places. Btw do you guys have a dedicated Discord for RU?
go to the Pokemon Showdown RU channel then click the banner for the discord

:ninetales: :lilligant-hisui: :slither wing: :diancie: :krookodile: :Typhlosion-Hisui:

This is an early team that I've been playing with. I'm 9-1 low ladder (cause that's where I belong lol) and I feel like I can keep winning if my competition anxiety gives me a break.

Quick Amateur Breakdown of the team:

:ninetales:
Exactly what you expect. Sets the Sun and sets the team up for success. Overheat for decent damage (especially under Sun), encore allows something (usually Hilligant) to get in and start wrecking house, I like will-o-wisp over hypnosis for increased accuracy, and healing wish for a last ditch aid (which has come in handy)

:lilligant-hisui:
The star of the team. Victory Dance Chlorophyll 3 attacks is fantastic. I do only have solar blade for grass stab, partly cause grass stab isn't the most useful stab, but also cause cc and ice spinner do a good job with neutral coverage. I'm actually surprised how often I click ice spinner. It's really handy. Ghost tera is really nice to live a psychic attack and get another vd in. Honestly, I could see this getting the qb.

:slither wing:
Y'all know what cb slither does. One note, I do prefer speed boosting nature over adamant, especially into the Gallade matchup. That's the one that has really helped me, especially cause I was running adamant and did make silly mistakes losing it. Besides, cb + Sun give it enough attacking boost to deal significant damage.

:diancie:
Another support mon. I find that rocks aren't always mandatory. They are handy if I'm afraid something has sturdy. Encore, like on Ninetales, does a fantastic job letting one of the big power houses come in and wear a miley cyrus cosplay.

:Krookodile:
Y'all know what scarf Krook does. I think I've only ever clicked eq and knock on it. Might put gunk shot in for something else for the fairy matchup.

:Typhlosion-Hisui:
scarf-eruption go brrrr

My completely un-asked-for thoughts on drops and unbans:

:shiftry::chandelure:: to be honest I don't see these two doing anything, they're just waiting for NU.

:chesnaught: :dipplin:: did someone ask for krook answers? Chsnaught is going to be very good as a krook/ttar answer that does everything you need. Dipplin also exists, it can't be knocked off and is a grass type which means it beats krook. Plus dipplin has a recovery move that does not get shut down by sand, which is definitely a good thing with ttar and hippo around.

:donphan: :cyclizar:: finally, some good spinners. brambleghast is cool but very restrictive to build with, donphan and cyclizar give us spinners that are not grass types with very different builds. I will be trying to make full offensive cyclizar work, look out for that max attack double edge.

:hippowdon::milotic::muk-alola:: these mons are all good and fat, I'm surprised we got milotic seeing how good it is in ou and uu. I think any balance team is going to have at least one of these guys in the backbone.

:talonflame::tyranitar:: these mons are all just cool and good, I enjoy them in the tier.

:zoroark-hisui:: the better gengar, I think this one could end up banned.

:torterra::maushold:: I hate maushold, I hate it so much. Enjoy running rocky helmet on every team. Torterra is also here because it's a speedy setup sweeper, but I think it'll be interesting as a uniquely bulky shell smash sweeper. If anyone runs the heat set of shell smash+synthesis I will be happy.

:ninetales::fezandipiti:: I have no idea how these will do. Fez is very good at clicking u-turn but not much else. Sun could be good, but it has barely done anything now, and I'm not sure better vulpix is going to change that, especially if lilligant ends up banned.

:lilligant-hisui:: ban this, please.

Unbans:
:lycanroc-dusk:: free this dog, it has done nothing wrong.
:iron jugulis:: It's a bit controversial but I think jugulis can be freed. It was a positive presence in the tier last time it was legal, being a decently bulky, strong, fast flying type. booster energy might be a problem on it, but it at least deserves a chance.
:iron leaves::polteageist::moltres-galar::hawlucha::gyarados:: these criminals know what they did, sentence them to death.
:zarude:: Free normal zarude, keep dada banned IMO. Zarude is what we need to free ourselves from bisharp.
:politoed:: do not unban. Rain would be a serious issue if this were unbanned, not beause of swift swim water types but because of kilowattrel and overqwil. Overqwil can ohko a physdef umbreon at +2. even with weather changes like ttar and hippo in the tier, I just don't think anything good comes from unbanning toed.
:mienshao::regidrago:: these mons are brainless and just too strong, do not unban.

Last edited:
these mons are all good and fat, I'm surprised we got milotic seeing how good it is in ou and uu. I think any balance team is going to have at least one of these guys in the backbone.
Quick note on Milotic: In UU, it was directly competing with Alomomola and was very outclassed. However, with Alo now OU, I could see this being Milotic's only RU month (unless Alo drops back down).

I have come to make my professional and logically informed decision:

just fucking ban lilligant-h and maushold. i don't want to be forced into running rocky helmet mudsdale just to not get 6-0'd by a mouse who's faster then almost the entire tier and a set-up sweeper who has the only roadblock between them and a win being: tera poison quagsire, and tera poison wo-chein. Which, by the way, are now worse due to the multitude of ground types that just dropped. No one likes fighting these. No one is making smart decisions and good predicts when using these. You just click pop bomb and whatever coverage you choose, or click victory dance and what ever coverage you need to beat the mon in front of you.

Milotic seems really strong. Nothing in the tier really wants to take scald thats good (return of rotom mow???) Hippo seems incredably strong as well as a balance staple. I can definitely see fat bal teams becoming incredibly strong, with boot spam and hazard spam to wear down faster offensive teams. Stuff like Tspikes a-muk and spikes quag

:lycanroc-dusk:: free this dog, it has done nothing wrong
I honestly think that that is not a good idea considering it and haxorus were bowling over the tier and probably still would, but I understand why people want it to be freed. I still think Dusk Doggo would destroy the tier though, its just staraptor but way better when you think about it.

ALSO RU SUPERSTAR CHESNAUGHT IS BACK LETS GOOOOO

Can't wait for dipplin to get a real competitive niche in a tier

to avoid this becoming a one-liner, I will mention that out of the potential pokemon dropping, gengar seems the most interesting. I wonder how it will fare, and if it will be able to spinblock effectively or not. It would have a pretty decent match-up against most spinners in the tier (assuming it doesn't get eviscerated by a poltergeist from bramble and a knock off from tsareena), although with donphan dropping, its more up-in-the-air with how it'll fare if it does drop. I bet chestnaught will keep on being the great defensive wall it always was, and if chandelure drops (i hope to god it does, my boy needs to get back in this tier; not for any actual metagame improvement but after SS I'm a big fan) then the metagame will truely be complete. I honestly predict that we're gonna see an uptick in either arcanine or guts users assuming that talonflame drops, cause otherwise burns are going to be a big stifler for physical offense teams. In fact, no matter what we're gonna be getting status spreading mons. So prepare for that, just in case. And prepare for the RU special: day 1 QBs !!
I wish :Munkidori: and :Gengar: dropped instead of Horoark, because Hisuian Zoroark down here is a strictly better version of them

Milotic seems really strong. Nothing in the tier really wants to take scald thats good (return of rotom mow???) Hippo seems incredably strong as well as a balance staple. I can definitely see fat bal teams becoming incredibly strong, with boot spam and hazard spam to wear down faster offensive teams. Stuff like Tspikes a-muk and spikes quag
Disagree with Milotic, it seems like a worse Vaporeon in nearly every way. The only thing it really has over Vaporeon is Recover, and even then Vaporeon's Wish passing abilities are far more appreciated. Not to mention its 2nd slot is highly unpredictable, between Haze, Flip Turn, and even Calm Mind and Ice Beam.

Two things I can say in defense of the dog:
one: he committed his war crimes at the start of the tier, and the power level has greatly increased. There are a whole lot more options to deal with it now, and letting it into the tier for a bit wouldn't be like letting haxorous in. His crimes will not be forgiven.
Two: it would be funny

Now that a lot of new pokemon were added to the tier through this month's tier shifts, I would like to introduce you to one of my favorites:
Fezandipiti
1000014704.png

While it didn't have much of an impact neither OU nor UU, I think it is in a great spot in RU.
The Toxic Chain ability is it's main selling point, which gives it a 30% chance to inflict toxic poison to a pokemon it hits with either a physical or a special attack.
And it does not dissapoint in delivering that status! Due to it's bulky stat spread, it get's many opportunities to do so. The chance to inflict toxic is:
1 - 0.7 ^ n
Meaning: 30%, 51%, ~66%, ~76%, ~83%, 88% and so on
It is that what people hate about Scald but more evil

Strenghts
I believe it is best played as a support on balance or stall. It's capability to spread toxic poison is for one not supressed by taunt like every other pokemon but it also does non negligiable damage in the process. Having a decent speed stat also allowes it to outrun most defensive pokemon as well as bulky offensive ones.
It can either taunt them or just hit and run on their switchin. Meaning, they first get hit by any attack and then U-turned on, chiping them nicely and giving you a 51% of inflicting toxic poison.
What separates it from the other defensive/supporting fairy types in the tier, namely Tinkaton and Diancie, it it's direct form of healing. That means, it can come in, take hits and do it's thing very often. And hits it can take! With a SpDef stat of 125 and HP stat of 88, it eats up special attacks like they are nothing! A Fire Blast from Hyphlosion for example does less than one third of it's HP, the same goes for a Kilowattrels Hurricane, which struggles to reach even 30% with a high roll.

Weaknesses
So after hearing about it's amazing potential, you might be asking yourself about it's weaknesses.
Mainly, it does literally nothing against Steel and Poison types. You can usually expect at least one of those on most teams which does somewhat keep it in check.
That isn't the end of the world however. Due to U-Turn, it can pivot around these very well. Paired with Hazards, especially Spikes from awesome new additions like Quagsire and maybd some Knock Off support, you will be able to wear those down eventually and be free to pressure the rest of the opposing team after.
It is of course also weak to Ground and Psychic Types. But similar to Grass Pokemon resisting a Scald, they do not enjoy switching into you.
What is however the bane of Fezandpiti's existance is Slowbro Galar. It can't get toxiced, can use STAB supereffective Pschic Type moves(Not used very often on the previously best sets tho) and worst of all, it has Regenreator which makes it very hard to chip it down, even with hazards. You really need to keep the pressure up against it or else it will be able to heal up too much and reset your progress.

Tera
As for Tera, I think Water is the best option. There have been a lot of ground types added recently which would make you think Flying or Grass might be solid but those aren't very good defensively outside that, worsening it's MU agsinst the other Pokemon it is supposed to check. Flying especially because Fezandipiti will be an attractive Knock off Fodder, at least on more defensive teams, meaning it would take extra damage from Rocks once it has no more Boots. But if you do think you can keep it,s boots on, you can still go for it. Dark and Ground might also become worth a consideration but I haven't experimented with those yet. (The latter could be interesting with Tera Blast even.) Tera Ghost as an additional Spinblock could potentially also be benificial in some teams. You can combine that with Shadowball or Shadow Calw as well.
In general I think you should primarily use your Tera on something that gets more value out of it since Fezandipity doesn't really need it, already having a great typing as well as not really profiting from it as much as other pokemon.

Sets
Here are my favorite sets so far:
Fezandipiti @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Toxic Chain
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Careful Nature
- Play Rough
- U-turn
- Taunt / Tailwind / Beat Up
- Roost
Fezandipiti @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Toxic Chain
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 240 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- U-turn
- Heat Wave / Taunt
- Roost

Additional Information
A few things to point out about the set: The 16 speed EVs allow it to outrun base 100 Mons with 4 EVs invested. The one this was mainly meant for is Toedscruel. Because of it's ability maning it slower while using status moves, it generally doesn't run speed meaning you will be able to U-Turn on an Earthpower. I don't think we are going to see it very often in the future due to Chestnaught being around again, a generally better defensive Grass Type with Spikes which also beats Wo-Chien. But since the investment was minimal, I thought I'd just go with it.
In the future, as the meta gets more defined there will definitely be more complex spreads with more speed and maybe even small amounts of offensive investments. I'm excited to see what's coming
I personally prefer the physical variants over the special ones since it's roll is to do chip damage and using physical attacks instead of special ones, just gives you free extra damage. Without nature or EVs calculated in, you have about 30 natural points more in the physical deparment. There are some downsides as well however. For one, burn does lower your damage output and secondly, Play Rough can miss. Either way is fine, so just chose what you feel more comfortable with and what fit's the need of your team better.
Both Tailwind as well as Beatup are nice options to support your team. Tailwind into U-Turn might be able to set up an otherwise slow sweeper like Choice Specs Braviary-H while Beatup gives you about an 88% chance to toxic your target (pretty similar to Toxics accuracy lol). It however gets worse as your team gets smaller and you also really don't want to hit a Rocky Helmet Mon with that. I'd imagine quite a few teams integreating Helmet just for Maushold alone. If you run Tera Flying, you can try out Brave Bird or Dual Wing beat as well, eventhough I do not think them to be very good on Fezandipiti.
Also, I would advise sgainst the use of Poison Jab or Sludgebomb since they inflict normal Poison and you really do want Toxic Poison on the team archetypes Fezandipiti works best in.
And while the special set does have access to Heat Wave, it mostly still won't be able to face them head on. It does little damage and takes too much in return as for this to be immedeately dangerous. But as mentioned previously, you hit and run. Heatwave allowes you to take down the Steel Types quicker and with less support needet from the rest of the team.

Sample Team
And finally, here is the team I have used it in if you want to directly jump into action:
https://pokepast.es/33cc448619070ba2

I hope you get as much enjoyment out of using it as I do! Good Luck

Last edited:
It's very early on, but I feel like priority is super necessary in this meta right now. There are lots of just really fast pokemon (talonflame, kilowattrel, noivern) and speed boosting sweepers (maushold, revavroom, lilligant-h, torterra) around that are just hard to beat without it. Plus, it feels harder than it should be to fit a scarfer on the team now that not even scarf pawmot is fast enough to revenge killh-lilligant.

Fortunately, we have a few good priority users to work with.
:donphan:: the elephant can deal 50% min to kilowattrel and 40% min to thundurus with ice shard. I've found that when using donphan as your ground type, you're going to have to play the kilowattrel matchup at least once per game vs it, and unless you are running assault vest, ice shard is a lot better vs it than ice spinner.
:slither-wing:: until people start remembering the uu tech of running protect on your sweeper, first impression does good damage vs maushold, torterra and a tera'd revavroom, and slither wing's typing and bulk allow it to take a hit from hilligant. Just beware of talonflame flame body burns.
:pawmot:: scarf pawmot suffers from not being fast enough until hilligant is banned, but where it suffers there, it gains a lot of really juicy mach punch targets. Maushold usually runs tera normal or dark, making it unable to tera out of a super effective mach punch, hilligant will often go tera steel and leave itself vulnerable to a super effective mach punch, revavroom still takes a decent chunk from mach punch despite having decent bulk and beyond sweepers, mach punch can help pawmot take cyclizar by surprise with a fast, super effective move. For a bit of extra spice, you can even run iron fist for a priority boost.
252 Atk Life Orb Iron Fist Pawmot Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Maushold: 252-299 (87.1 - 103.4%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)