Project SV OU Teambuilding Competition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies for the delay, both Baloor and I have been very busy.

Week 8 is over! Congratulations to SLDR for winning this round, Your team will be added to the archive shortly!

1679320667565.png

WEEK 9: Toxapex

:sv/toxapex:

Many would accuse Smogon of loving stall, and of course, they're right! Finchinator's favorite acanthaster planci is normally a subject of scholarly debate, but today it's the subject of this week's teambuilding competition! Although its longevity was cut from last generation due to recovery nerfs, Toxapex is still a solid bulky water-type in an offensive meta. Toxapex has a wide defensive profile for Pokemon such as Volcarona, Cinderace, Greninja, and Glimmora as well as choice-locked Dragapult, Breloom, and Iron Valiant, which makes it very splashable on balance and bulky offense teams. It appreciates a variety of partners such as Corviknight, Ting-Lu, Garganacl, and Great Tusk, which create terrific defensive cores with Toxapex. Skeledirge and Gholdengo are also notable, utilizing Toxapex's status spreading ability with Hex. Good luck to all participants, have fun and get creative!

:toxapex: You have until Thursday, the 23rd of March to post your teams :toxapex:
this may be extended depending on the number of submissions.

this thread was already struggling, and toxapex has it in a stranglehold. It's time to save, and DESTROY this teambuilding competition.

INTRODUCING MERCILESS EXPERT BELT TOXAPEX :toxapex:

No one wants to see those Toxapex + Great Tusk cores that you can slap any other 4 mons on and enjoy winning. We're in an offensive meta right now, and it's time for Toxapex to adapt.

:meowscarada: - lead sash, procedure is to tspikes into trick room. pretty self explanatory considering the next team member.
:toxapex: - since toxapex is relegated to being a wall, ppl dont realize the coverage it actually gets. its time to make use of that with trick room and merciless. after meow goes down toxapex can tera if it wishes if a tusk comes in to try to spin on it. conveniently, ghost tera also allows it to hit one of its best checks gholdengo on a switch in.
:hatterene: - secondary trick room setter, and main form of hazard control. the team needed some genuinely good hazard control but couldnt afford to give up momentum with trick room, so here hatterene is.
:orthworm: - nice phys wall, is able to get up shed tail very reliably in trick room and set up hazards to apply pressure if needed
:iron_hands: - main sweeper, belly drum behind a sub and then in trick room you can outspeed everything and claim quite a few kills.
:kingambit: - cleaner, is assumed to be operating under trick room but its not very fast so running min speed doesnt hurt too much anyway.

PASTE: https://pokepast.es/58ae316581954293

FAQ:
Q: How long did it take you to make?
A: 3 minutes 44 seconds.

Q: How high on ladder can this team go?
A: very

thank for reading!

Of course I can use the simple stall team I made as a joke a while ago, but that's boring so I'm going to make a new team for this
https://pokepast.es/24afc1ff64cceed0
:toxapex: :kingambit: :clodsire: :hydreigon: :alomomola: :quagsire:

Toxapex is the premiere wall of the team. Mostly a standard pex set, with Tera Fairy helping it defensively a bit if it needs it.
Kingambit is a late game cleaner with a bit higher speed than usual in case of a mirror gambit matchup or against skeledirge with some speed investments. Mostly standard with a lum berry to not get shut down by Rotom-Wash wisp or Breloom spore
Clodsire is the special wall of the team, walling Walking Wake as well as shutting down other threats such as Hydreigon or Gholdengo.
Hydreigon is a more utility-focused hydreigon, using Thunder Wave on incoming Valiant or Dragonite to cripple them. It also sets up rocks and still possess a very powerful Draco Meteor
Alomomola traps an opposing mon with whirlpool and passes Wish onto Kingambit and Hydreigon to heal them, and also protect stall to stack up poison damage.
Quagsire is Quagsire, running Unaware as Clodsire is running Water Absorb to shut down setup sweepers such as Roaring Moon or Dragonite.

The main weakness of this team is the lack of hazard control, but it doesn't matter much as 3/6 of the mons run boots and Pex has regen while Quagsire can recover and Kingambit resists rocks.

Reactions: AM
I was inspired by a previous offensive pex team and decided to build my own.
1679496926104.png
1679497003051.png
1679497097054.png
1679497140718.png
1679497173842.png
1679502144722.png

Introducing, "Poison everything in sight and then sweep with Pex."

After playing with this team a single time and winning due to the overwhelming amount of hazards/ poison, I decided to switch some things up...

1679496926104.png
Pex. You are only allowed to tera Pex. Pex is only allowed to come out in the end to sweep. Life orb for max damage leftovers for continuous life, recover for recovery, bunker for additional poison, and then the highest damage (physical) stab moves pex has.
1679497003051.png
Specifically for setting up toxic spikes and mortal spinning for more poison. They won't expect that your only damaging move is there to cover potential steel-type leads gleam + e power to remove opposing setters. But that won't matter since your only job is to set up t spikes.
1679497097054.png
Corrosion ability to poison steel and poison types. Your job is to poison steel and poison types. Knocking off their items is a bonus.
1679497140718.png
Specifically for avoiding ground moves and u-turning to someone who can poison.
1679497173842.png
The best spinner in the game. You remove hazards so pex can come in clean.
1679502151190.png
Meowscarada --> Ting-Lu. This is your lead. More hazards will only help pex more, knocking off items will only help pex more, and a dark type to help resist psychic moves and now you can also throw out rocks and survive special moves. Plus dark type to resist psychic moves.

Good luck, you can't lose. If you do it's something that you did and it's not the team's fault, remember that.
https://pokepast.es/72b6c495f9fde979

Last edited:
Ok, let's replay to this competition

:gardevoir::toxapex::roaring moon::meowscarada::great tusk::skeledirge:

I originally made this team on gardevoir+moon, the idea is : u try to sweep with roaring moon, and if u can't, u have a second chance with gardevoir hwish. To help moon we have meowscarada that can koff corvi win vs garga etc... Finally we finish the team with a defensive core that can put remove sr, burn team etc...

:gardevoir: cool mon, scarf allow to outspeed pult, meow, tusk etc... hwish for utility, trick to defensive ghol, corv etc... and that's all, i love this mon and he is insane with moon.
:toxapex: just pex, the reason why this team is in this thread, broen mon, specila defense for wake, pult ghold, valiant etc but u can change it if u really want.
:roaring moon:broken, sub for garganacle, ammonguus and pex, u just want to sweep and u will sweep with gardevoir
:meowscarada:just for koff, an other dark and pressure vs garga and tusk, he love hwish too and if u want, u break with moon and finish with meow
:great tusk::skelefirge: defensive core. nothing else, just u can use corvi on tusk for a better matchup vs other tusk (and kingambit).

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
hi sorry for voting not being up as both hosts have been busy, ill put the voting up tmrw once im back from work

Baloor

Tigers Management
is a Community Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
PUPL Champion
again sorry for delay ive been increasingly busy irl

TEAM A
this thread was already struggling, and toxapex has it in a stranglehold. It's time to save, and DESTROY this teambuilding competition.

INTRODUCING MERCILESS EXPERT BELT TOXAPEX :toxapex:

No one wants to see those Toxapex + Great Tusk cores that you can slap any other 4 mons on and enjoy winning. We're in an offensive meta right now, and it's time for Toxapex to adapt.

:meowscarada: - lead sash, procedure is to tspikes into trick room. pretty self explanatory considering the next team member.
:toxapex: - since toxapex is relegated to being a wall, ppl dont realize the coverage it actually gets. its time to make use of that with trick room and merciless. after meow goes down toxapex can tera if it wishes if a tusk comes in to try to spin on it. conveniently, ghost tera also allows it to hit one of its best checks gholdengo on a switch in.
:hatterene: - secondary trick room setter, and main form of hazard control. the team needed some genuinely good hazard control but couldnt afford to give up momentum with trick room, so here hatterene is.
:orthworm: - nice phys wall, is able to get up shed tail very reliably in trick room and set up hazards to apply pressure if needed
:iron_hands: - main sweeper, belly drum behind a sub and then in trick room you can outspeed everything and claim quite a few kills.
:kingambit: - cleaner, is assumed to be operating under trick room but its not very fast so running min speed doesnt hurt too much anyway.

PASTE: https://pokepast.es/58ae316581954293

FAQ:
Q: How long did it take you to make?
A: 3 minutes 44 seconds.

Q: How high on ladder can this team go?
A: very

thank for reading!
TEAM B
Of course I can use the simple stall team I made as a joke a while ago, but that's boring so I'm going to make a new team for this
https://pokepast.es/24afc1ff64cceed0
:toxapex: :kingambit: :clodsire: :hydreigon: :alomomola: :quagsire:

Toxapex is the premiere wall of the team. Mostly a standard pex set, with Tera Fairy helping it defensively a bit if it needs it.
Kingambit is a late game cleaner with a bit higher speed than usual in case of a mirror gambit matchup or against skeledirge with some speed investments. Mostly standard with a lum berry to not get shut down by Rotom-Wash wisp or Breloom spore
Clodsire is the special wall of the team, walling Walking Wake as well as shutting down other threats such as Hydreigon or Gholdengo.
Hydreigon is a more utility-focused hydreigon, using Thunder Wave on incoming Valiant or Dragonite to cripple them. It also sets up rocks and still possess a very powerful Draco Meteor
Alomomola traps an opposing mon with whirlpool and passes Wish onto Kingambit and Hydreigon to heal them, and also protect stall to stack up poison damage.
Quagsire is Quagsire, running Unaware as Clodsire is running Water Absorb to shut down setup sweepers such as Roaring Moon or Dragonite.

The main weakness of this team is the lack of hazard control, but it doesn't matter much as 3/6 of the mons run boots and Pex has regen while Quagsire can recover and Kingambit resists rocks.
TEAM C
I was inspired by a previous offensive pex team and decided to build my own.
View attachment 501858 View attachment 501859 View attachment 501860 View attachment 501861 View attachment 501862 View attachment 501877
Introducing, "Poison everything in sight and then sweep with Pex."

After playing with this team a single time and winning due to the overwhelming amount of hazards/ poison, I decided to switch some things up...

View attachment 501858 Pex. You are only allowed to tera Pex. Pex is only allowed to come out in the end to sweep. Life orb for max damage leftovers for continuous life, recover for recovery, bunker for additional poison, and then the highest damage (physical) stab moves pex has.
View attachment 501859 Specifically for setting up toxic spikes and mortal spinning for more poison. They won't expect that your only damaging move is there to cover potential steel-type leads gleam + e power to remove opposing setters. But that won't matter since your only job is to set up t spikes.
View attachment 501860 Corrosion ability to poison steel and poison types. Your job is to poison steel and poison types. Knocking off their items is a bonus.
View attachment 501861 Specifically for avoiding ground moves and u-turning to someone who can poison.
View attachment 501862 The best spinner in the game. You remove hazards so pex can come in clean.
View attachment 501878 Meowscarada --> Ting-Lu. This is your lead. More hazards will only help pex more, knocking off items will only help pex more, and a dark type to help resist psychic moves and now you can also throw out rocks and survive special moves. Plus dark type to resist psychic moves.

Good luck, you can't lose. If you do it's something that you did and it's not the team's fault, remember that.
https://pokepast.es/72b6c495f9fde979
TEAM D
Ok, let's replay to this competition

:gardevoir::toxapex::roaring moon::meowscarada::great tusk::skeledirge:

I originally made this team on gardevoir+moon, the idea is : u try to sweep with roaring moon, and if u can't, u have a second chance with gardevoir hwish. To help moon we have meowscarada that can koff corvi win vs garga etc... Finally we finish the team with a defensive core that can put remove sr, burn team etc...

:gardevoir: cool mon, scarf allow to outspeed pult, meow, tusk etc... hwish for utility, trick to defensive ghol, corv etc... and that's all, i love this mon and he is insane with moon.
:toxapex: just pex, the reason why this team is in this thread, broen mon, specila defense for wake, pult ghold, valiant etc but u can change it if u really want.
:roaring moon:broken, sub for garganacle, ammonguus and pex, u just want to sweep and u will sweep with gardevoir
:meowscarada:just for koff, an other dark and pressure vs garga and tusk, he love hwish too and if u want, u break with moon and finish with meow
:great tusk::skelefirge: defensive core. nothing else, just u can use corvi on tusk for a better matchup vs other tusk (and kingambit).
You have ~4 days to vote!
:toxapex: Deadline is Thursday, March 30th! :toxapex:
Reminder: you can't include your own team in the string of votes.

Baloor

Tigers Management
PUPL Champion
Week 9 is over! Congratulations to mimilimi for winning this round, Your team will be added to the archive shortly!

the voting was unanimously team d, no reason to calculate

WEEK 10: Roaring Moon

:sv/Roaring-Moon:

With SPL and OST coming to a close, Roaring Moon has soared it's way back into the meta. Being a threatening sweeper that demands you respect it in builder. While the most successful set is the offensive DD set typically seen on offensive teams, there has been some experimenting. Bulky DD sets have popped up on ladder which have quite a few different takes, some of them are pretty similar to the offensive set with booster energy acro but have bulky evs + roost, while others attempt to trap mons with jaw lock that you can set up on with options like tera blast and eq being popular as the second attacking move. Band remains okay, mainly being seen on sun. Scarf is very niche but can work under very specific circumstances. While its pretty cookie cutter there is still a lot of room to innovate and experiment, hopefully, you can come up with something fun!

:roaring-moon: You have until Friday, the 7th of April to post your teams :roaring-moon:
this may be extended depending on the number of submissions.

Roaring Moon @ Booster Energy
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Crunch
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics

Iron Valiant @ Booster Energy
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Fairy
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Moonblast
- Close Combat
- Thunderbolt
- Psyshock

Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Rapid Spin

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Tera Blast

Grimmsnarl (M) @ Light Clay
Ability: Prankster
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Taunt
- Parting Shot

Orthworm @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Earth Eater
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Heavy Slam
- Body Press
- Stealth Rock
- Shed Tail

Hey! I'm new to smogon and thought I'd try this out.
The goal of this team is to use Beloom and Great Tusk or even Iron Valiant to get rid of priority users/unaware users and then go to Grimmsnarl or Orthoworm to set up your sweep with Roaring Moon. Any advice is appreciated :)

Last edited:
If I can't win with a fun team I don't want to win at all.

You've heard of Perish Trap. Get ready for: Perish Lock

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1680793749909.png
1680793814431.png
1680793778129.png
1680793835658.png
1680793791373.png
1680793803730.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Perish song scream tail with ejector button into jaw lock roaring moon.
1680793749909.png
1680794036604.png
Your goal is to get off a perish song, get hit to activate your eject button, and then switch to roaring moon to jaw lock, ddance up until the opponent dies from perish song, and sweep. It's easy enough if you don't lead with scream tail but lead with zoroark to throw your opponent for a loop. Scream tail also acts as a pivot (perish button), an annoyance (twave + encore), and a thick boy (wish + thickness).
1680794052804.png
Garg is for an additional block-locking method if needed.
1680794063732.png
Zoroark is for the trickery. But honestly, this spot would probably be better filled with cc amoongus or gholdengo.
1680794073556.png
Tusk is for hazard removal. The set you choose is all up to you as long as you have rapid spin.
1680794083487.png
Klefki is actually your wincon. Roaring moon will eat for free but typically acts as your early game sweeper. Klefki is your mid to late-game sweeper. I can't spoil how just yet, but you can let your imagination run wild with this one.

69 likes and I'll post a full team + rundown on the SV OU Teams forum ;):mad:

Last edited:
https://pokepast.es/62b0ed3238048635
"a dumb team"
:breloom: :iron valiant: :meowscarada: :roaring moon: :corviknight: :clodsire:

Breloom is my lead most of the time. It is great at putting the opposing lead to sleep, or to mach punch lead Meowscarada and eliminate it immediately. Tera fire tera blast to beat steels such as Corviknight and Gholdengo as well as not losing to Amoonguss, and Loaded Dice has proven more useful than Focus Sash in most occasions.
Iron Valiant is a fast and offensive threat. Being the 6th fastest OU mon (with only gren and RM really getting +1 speed from scarf/DD/booster), it is used to outspeed opposing threats and also as cleanup. Specs would probably be better, but I do not wish to worry about pult once Meow goes down
Meowscarada has a fairly standard pivot set. Knock Off and Flower Trick is powerful STAB options, sucker punch to beat Pult, and U-Turn for momentum. Tera ghost to avoid Breloom Mach Punch.
Roaring Moon is another wallbreaker, with a banded set to capitalise off of a good defensive core. Its options are mostly standard
Corviknight and Clodsire form a great defensive core, and can easily give Iron Valiant and Roaring Moon more options to pivot in and change attacks. The odd Clodsire tera was from a conversation I had, where I was talking with a friend about beating Great Tusk. I thought about baiting HLR then using Counter, which surprisingly worked. Tera Bug was selected to resist both of its STABs, as well as utilising the surprise factor against opposing Roaring Moon or Dragonite, expecting Clodsire to be unable to do much with Earthquake. This does mean the defensive core cannot beat Gholdengo, but the other attackers can deal with them far easily. It also gives Clodsire a way of beating Corviknight in a one-on-one situation, as opposed to Earthquake.

don't actually use this it's really stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)