Resource SV OU Role Compendium

Although I do agree with this statement (to some extent), I feel like adding mons that aren't overused isn't necessarily gonna make this thread any better than it already is. Also, with there OBVIOUSLY being better options present, I could see people rarely even using the suggested mons that aren't overused. Why use something suboptimal when the best is right in front of you? Think about it.
Because some mons have untapped potential

I agree, but "untapped potential" isn't really sufficient enough when it comes to other Pokémon that can do the same thing (just better).
I want you to be wrong, but yeah, this threas should be kept to OU. If a player wants to branch out, by all means, maybe UU thread can use a Role Compodium if they lack it. But giving sub par options runs counter to the goal of helping newcomers with a wealth of info.

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A few nominations for mons that appear on the VR, some of these are very niche options on these mons though others I definitely think should be included. Sets within square brackets [ ] denote those which I am less confident on nominating.

Also adding a couple noms for mons outside the VR that I'll justify here:
:Jirachi: is not good but not completely unviable, with its wide array of support options and ability to run Scarf Trick with Iron Head and U-turn.
:Arcanine_Hisui: is questionable at best but loads well into the bird types in the meta and has recently peaked as high as #4 on ladder.

Healing Wish: [:Alomomola:] |:Jirachi:

Both Jirachi and Alomomola have access to Healing Wish, with HWish arguably being optimal on support Jirachi sets although a much more niche option on Alomomola that I only mention due to it being an option that Fogbound Lake brought (along with Custap HWish Jirachi) during a SCL Semifinals match. Rachi should definitely have this added if it's deemed worthy of making the ranks in the niche section, though the actual viability of this on Alo is debatable.

Knock Off: :Thundurus_Therian:[:Walking_Wake:]

With the DLC, Wake and Thundy got access to Knock Off; although much less-used options, these may have potential on pivot sets to make progress on Sp.Def mons like Slowking-G and Blissey that typically run Heavy-Duty Boots, with Knock Off Specs Thundy used in a peak #1 RMT by Pinkacross.

Encore: [:Clefable:]

Encore Clefable isn't common but it's not terrible and can help vs setup Garganacl, with slow Encore not being a terrible option into setup that wants to take advantage of Clef. Not an often-used or strictly optimal pick but usable for sure, arguably more so than Azu.

Taunt: [:Weavile:]

Weavile made it to B+ on the VR with the recent shifts and can opt to use a Taunt 3 Attacks set to break through bulkier teams by denying recovery and making progress with Knock, although most Weavile instead run SD 3 Attacks. This is still an option though and might be worth listing.

Trick: [:Clefable:] |:Jirachi:

Scarf Rachi should always run Trick imo, so this should be added if it ends up being considered as a niche option from the mons outside the VR. Tricky Barb Clefable has been usable for a while, it's a nice option to deal with mons like Gking and Heatran that try to switch into Clef for free although with the bans of Roaring Moon and Sneasler this set has lost a lot of steam and may no longer be worth considering.

Physical Wallbreaker/Extreme Speed: |:Arcanine_Hisui:

Arc-H is a niche pick for sure but, as I mentioned before, it has proven itself usable in OU and has arguably better viability than some of the other listed mons such as Pawmot and Slither Wing, with access to Extreme Speed for strong priority.

Choice Band: [:Samurott_Hisui:] |:Crawdaunt:

Banded Samu is a rarer set but does see some usage and may be a reasonable inclusion here, arguably a more common sight in OU than Choice Band Hands or Val. For Crawdaunt, Choice Band is one of two sets that ever really see usage, the other being SD; this is a little niche but Craw is included elsewhere on the niche sections of the VR (Physical Wallbreaker, Aqua Jet) and so might be worth including here.

Choice Specs/Scarf: :Gholdengo:| [:Hydreigon:]

This seems like an oversight on Gholdengo as these are two of its more commonly used items, with Scarf Trick in particularly being one of its most popular sets. Dreigon is still clinging to the VR in C+ and it usually sees use with Substitute + Nasty Plot but Scarf / Specs may be worth debate, although inclusion is not strictly necessary as yeah Hydreigon has a pretty limited role in OU right now.

Nasty Plot: [:Hoopa_Unbound:]

Hoopa-U's not the greatest right now, but Nasty Plot is one of its best options on non-Choiced sets and so should probably be included although I don't think Plot Hoopa has much of a place in OU outside of as a stallbreaker.

Shell Smash: | [:Polteageist:]

Polteageist is really pretty terrible but it's at least at the same ranking on the VR as Torterra and Shell Smash is the only thing it does, so either this is worth considering or Torterra may not be (although I'd argue that Tort is actually better right now so I'd understand leaving off the teapot).

hear me out
mamoswine: SPECIAL wallbreaker
Mamoswine @ Choice Specs
Ability: Thick Fat
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Earth Power
- Freeze-Dry
- Tera Blast
- Body Press
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola: 464-548 (86.8 - 102.6%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Amoonguss: 272-324 (62.9 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Def Tera Steel Mamoswine Body Press vs. 4 HP / 252 Def Blissey: 250-296 (38.3 - 45.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ceruledge: 320-380 (109.9 - 130.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Cinderace: 408-480 (135.5 - 159.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Clefable: 312-368 (79.1 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Corviknight: 144-169 (36 - 42.3%) -- 93.8% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Dondozo: 356-420 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Dragapult: 318-374 (100.3 - 117.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Multiscale Dragonite: 252-296 (78 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Enamorus: 302-356 (104.4 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Garchomp: 576-676 (161.3 - 189.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 100 SpD Garganacl: 318-374 (78.7 - 92.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Gholdengo: 348-410 (110.4 - 130.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Glimmora: 772-912 (251.4 - 297%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Great Tusk: 416-492 (95.8 - 113.3%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Greninja: 332-392 (116.4 - 137.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Hatterene: 282-332 (88.6 - 104.4%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Heatran: 612-724 (189.4 - 224.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Iron Moth: 600-708 (199.3 - 235.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Iron Valiant: 432-510 (149.4 - 176.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Kingambit: 372-438 (93 - 109.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 604-712 (158.1 - 186.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Manaphy: 252-296 (73.9 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Cornerstone: 296-350 (98.3 - 116.2%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ogerpon-Wellspring: 516-612 (171.4 - 203.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Flash Cannon vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Ribombee: 384-452 (147.1 - 173.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Rillaboom: 338-398 (99.1 - 116.7%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott-Hisui: 356-420 (110.9 - 130.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Skeledirge: 278-330 (67.6 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowking-Galar: 296-350 (75.1 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Vessel of Ruin Ting-Lu: 158-188 (30.7 - 36.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 252 HP / 64 SpD Toxapex: 228-270 (75 - 88.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Walking Wake: 588-696 (171.9 - 203.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Earth Power vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zamazenta: 144-169 (44.3 - 52%) -- 14.1% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Tera Steel Mamoswine Freeze-Dry vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Zapdos: 272-324 (84.7 - 100.9%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

while i consider the above to be a viable set, i consider the next one to be barely viable, if at all
Cryogonal: utility/special wallbreaker
Cryogonal @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Ice
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Blizzard
- Rapid Spin
- Water Pulse
i know this is dumb, but it has a unique set of skills that would be incredibly useful if the pokemon were actually good. it has an unresisted attack combo, it can spin, it outspeeds, ohkos, and can switch into landorus. is this enough to warent it having a place on the role compendium? probobly not.

Slaking: physical wallbreaker
Slaking @ Eject Pack
Ability: Truant
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Curse
- Earthquake
- Yawn
slakings ability isnt QUITE as damning as a lot of people think, and it can apply a lot of pressure in one turn. slaking with pivot and sleep is genuinely terrifying. that does not mean its good. while it can play around truant, it is still limited a lot by it. that being said, slaking capitalizes hard on reads.

Maushold: tidy up setup sweeper
i dont know why this isnt ranked

Hisuian zoruark: agility set up sweeper
Zoroark-Hisui @ Throat Spray
Ability: Illusion
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Agility
while not a game winner, i think a set up sweeper with illusion and three immunities has merit to it.

gengar: special wallbreaker
Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Cursed Body
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Venoshock
- Hex
- Focus Blast
- Hypnosis
great partners with gholdengo, munkidori, and glimora

Last edited:
Isn't Archaludon a physical wall? Like, a gigachad physical wall with that naturally big stat+stamina. If PELIPPER is counted as a physical wall, Arch definitely is.
Also, on webs lead smeargles, I have also seen Stone Axe and (occasionally) Ceaseless Edge. If it's good enough to be ranked for webs, it should be ranked for rocks+spikes.

Last edited:

kd458

is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
A few more nominations for mons that appear on the VR! Again, sets within square brackets [ ] are those which I am less confident on nominating. Leaving off a couple niche options that I'll mention here:

:Skarmory: gets Stealth Rock and can opt to run it on a team with another durable Spikes setter but Spikes Skarm is better on almost any build.
:Smeargle: primarily functions as a webs lead but also uses Ceaseless Edge and Stone Axe to get up both other forms of hazards when it can.
:Galvantula: and :Araquanid: are half-decent alternative Web setters, though there isn't much reason to use them over Ribombee.
:Cinccino: gets Tidy Up (and Knock Off!) so may be listed as a niche mon here but it's not great in any way.
:Azumarill: runs Knock Off offensively now, but this mon doesn't have too solid of a place in DLC2 OU.

Also just going to repeat nominate Gholdengo without explanation as I think its Choiced sets are the biggest thing missing in the compendium, with Scarf being its second most popular set according to December usage stats while Specs is a more niche pick.

Screens Setters: :Deoxys_Speed:

I'd likely call this a better setter than Screens Pult right now, with its higher speed, access to Taunt and ability to also set Stealth Rock / Spikes. Not one of its most popular sets, but it's pretty usable and I'd personally put it at least nearly on par with Ninetales-A as a HO Screens lead.

Knock Off: :Deoxys_Speed:| [:Deoxys_Defense:]

Both forms of Deoxys get Knock Off, with Deo-S making great use of it on its strong 4 attack set to make progress against bulkier walls and hit both Gholdengo and Slowking-Galar. Deo-D also has the option of using this move on a defensive set, but is generally a much worse mon and outclassed by alternative defensive Knock Off users like Gliscor and Clefable in most cases.

Taunt::Iron_Boulder:

Mr Trenbolone has access to Taunt and can run this to beat and even set up on Gliscor and Skarmory with Tera, it's a much less used option and Substitute is better for Gliscor but Taunt allows it to 1v1 ID Skarmory after Tera'ing to a type that resists Fighting while also breaking through mons like Unaware Clefable and Tera’d Skeledirge.

Iron Defense::Skarmory:

Skarmory is arguably OU's best Iron Defense user and almost always runs it with a similar set to ID Corviknight, needing it to 1v1 many physical attackers like Kingambit, Dragonite and Roaring Moon. This is a pretty clear addition imo and deserves to be in the compendium.

Vacuum Wave::Keldeo:

Keldeo got Vacuum Wave in this generation and it's a pretty solid choice for both Specs and CM sets, allowing it to hit faster targets and revenge kill more effectively. Solid addition to its movepool that deserves a mention imo.

Last edited:

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
My proposed changes to fit with the new VR:

Add:
Comfey -> Setup Sweeper (Calm Mind), Priority (Draining Kiss/Triage)
Hippowdown -> Mixed Wall (niche)
Pecharunt -> Physical Wall (niche)
Pincurchin -> Spikes (niche)

Remove:
Alolan Muk

Change Niche Status:
Amoongus, Hoopa Unbound, Kingdra, Ogerpon Cornerstone -> Niche
Hisuian Lilligant -> Not Niche

As a bonus suggestion:

Setter Category (under utility? unsure of what the name should be.):
:Indeedee::Ninetales-Alola::Pelipper::Rillaboom::Torkoal::Tyranitar:|:Hippowdon::Pincurchin:

are you sure that deoxys is a "wallbreaker"?
it has only 95 base sp.atk

I know that dragapult has 100, but dragapult has the inflitrator ability meaning it is not stopped by shields.

anyway, if this comment gets removed PLEASE let me know in a direct message.

veti

Supreme Overlord
is a Pre-Contributor
are you sure that deoxys is a "wallbreaker"?
it has only 95 base sp.atk

I know that dragapult has 100, but dragapult has the inflitrator ability meaning it is not stopped by shields.

anyway, if this comment gets removed PLEASE let me know in a direct message.
Offensive variants of Deoxys Speed have a ton of power, running damage boosting items like Life Orb and Expert Belt with Nasty Plot and high base power moves like Focus Blast and Psycho Boost, its more than powerful enough to be considered a wallbreaker.

Offensive variants of Deoxys Speed have a ton of power, running damage boosting items like Life Orb and Expert Belt with Nasty Plot and high base power moves like Focus Blast and Psycho Boost, its more than powerful enough to be considered a wallbreaker.
Can you really consider something a wallbreaker if it needs to spent a turn to set up?

Whatever I guess I am just wrong.
Should I delete both of my comments?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)