Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? But I thought the OU Council were horrible stall-loving tyrants bent on twisting the meta to their will, and that Finch rules over them with an iron fist! I read that in a post by the completely real and totally trusted forum user SmogonLovesStall2009. Why would they lie? They have all eight badges in the game, so they must know something.
Oh hm, that's a good point. But Finch was being so generous throughout the set...

I mean, he could be lying to our faces. We may never know.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I really don’t know why Finch is staking his own position on this match. Is there a Council member that doesn’t want Shed Tail or Chi-Yu banned whose spot you can give him instead?
It’s for fun and it’s so awesome to bring two communities together that are oftentimes at odds with each other. I’ve made so many friends with people I would never cross paths with over Twitter or the OU room or just frequenting these threads lately. And I think a lot of people have seen me or the council as more humanized and rational rather than being the fun police.

It’s so cool having 1300 people watching you play and being an entertainer for people who I share a passion with as well.

It’s for fun and it’s so awesome to bring two communities together that are oftentimes at odds with each other. I’ve made so many friends with people I would never cross paths with over Twitter or the OU room or just frequenting these threads lately. And I think a lot of people have seen me or the council as more humanized and rational rather than being the fun police.

It’s so cool having 1300 people watching you play and being an entertainer for people who I share a passion with as well.
I have to admire your ability to play with that much pressure on you. Like personally, I would actually be unable to click the buttons on the simulator (god forbid actually clicking the right buttons) with 1300 people watching something of this magnitude.

Goat mindset

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126

How does it feel to be confident enough in your battling ability to confidently gamble your authority and Smogon policy for the sake of content

tbh i just suck at the game so it doesnt take much
which is why you must spend the next 3 days training under the moonlight for your fateful match against the finch-inator once more

so this is more than just a one-liner: how have people been finding clodsire right now, I seem to be finding an incline of people using it on ladder, and I'm curious to see what people think set it apart from the other spikers?

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
which is why you must spend the next 3 days training under the moonlight for your fateful match against the finch-inator once more
And watch as many replays and ladder videos as possible to finally claim your rightful spot on top of ou

so this is more than just a one-liner: how have people been finding clodsire right now, I seem to be finding an incline of people using it on ladder, and I'm curious to see what people think set it apart from the other spikers?
For me, it's because it's a somewhat safe switch in to that annoying chinese goldfish. Emphasis on 'somewhat' because slight chip and flamethrower two shots it. My favorite part of Clodsire is that I can just earthquake that damn Glimmora and not give a damn about the toxic spikes

This is where the anime training arc begins, mudkipnerd is about to unlock his true potential and bring down the big bad king of stall.

Truly the people’s champion!

Also, what do people think of opportunist espathra as a heat tech to counter other espathra? Couldn’t you theoretically out boost by effectively doing 2 calm minds per turn?

This is where the anime training arc begins, mudkipnerd is about to unlock his true potential and bring down the big bad king of stall.

Truly the people’s champion!

Also, what do people think of opportunist espathra as a heat tech to counter other espathra? Couldn’t you theoretically out boost by effectively doing 2 calm minds per turn?
fucking madlad to say the least
could work tho, prediction reliant i suppose

What if you ran that with Agility so you're not total deadweight if you're not facing another Espathra. Hard finding a free moveslot with Espathra though.
True. It does have the cool benefit of copying every stat boost an opponent does, no matter the source (for example throat spray triggers opportunist)

very memey set but I think you could definitely catch somebody off guard, and even potentially deter opposing espathra from coming in

KamenOH

formerly DynamaxBestMeta
What if you ran that with Agility so you're not total deadweight if you're not facing another Espathra. Hard finding a free moveslot with Espathra though.
The realest example of 4MSS in gen IX. Gotta cram calm mind, protect, stored power, dazzling gleam, substitute, and agility on one pokemon. Alternatively, we can run Tera Blast to deal with steel types, but that eats a slot as well as our one Tera.
At least with most other sweepers, their mixed bag of moves is relegated to coverage, like how RMoon can gamble between Jaw Lock, Acrobatics, or even Tera Blast if you can't come up with any other applicable moves, if it wants to run an off meta tera type, akin to Poison Hydreigon. Its weak only to psychic, and its fucking Hydreigon

True. It does have the cool benefit of copying every stat boost an opponent does, no matter the source (for example throat spray triggers opportunist)

very memey set but I think you could definitely catch somebody off guard, and even potentially deter opposing espathra from coming in
isnt opportunist on Flamigo? Espathra has Speed Boost iirc, which does power up Stored Power for free.

The realest example of 4MSS in gen IX. Gotta cram calm mind, protect, stored power, dazzling gleam, substitute, and agility on one pokemon. Alternatively, we can run Tera Blast to deal with steel types, but that eats a slot as well as our one Tera.
At least with most other sweepers, their mixed bag of moves is relegated to coverage, like how RMoon can gamble between Jaw Lock, Acrobatics, or even Tera Blast if you can't come up with any other applicable moves, if it wants to run an off meta tera type, akin to Poison Hydreigon. Its weak only to psychic, and its fucking Hydreigon

isnt opportunist on Flamigo? Espathra has Speed Boost iirc, which does power up Stored Power for free.
Opportunist is similar to costar, but works differently. Costar copies all stats when you switch in, like using the move psych up or switching in a ditto. Opportunist copies all stat changes as they happen, similar to dancer copying a quiver dance.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
Opportunist is similar to costar, but works differently. Costar copies all stats when you switch in, like using the move psych up or switching in a ditto. Opportunist copies all stat changes as they happen, similar to dancer copying a quiver dance.
I'm pretty sure costar is just for allies in doubles.

Probably the set here is Calm Mind/Agility/Stored Power/Dazzling Gleam and rely heavily on the funi lizard for defense, although yeah it struggles against Steels.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
So I decided to mess around with Choice Specs Chi-Yu (Timid) and I Tera Type into Fire Type and Overheat into anything switching in and I did 91% damage to what I'm guessing is a standard Clodsire set. Clodsire is supposed to be a special defensive wall...what happened?

How is that fair? Like I feel bad for using it on my team.

1671689658552.png

So I decided to mess around with Choice Specs Chi-Yu (Timid) and I Tera Type into Fire Type and Overheat into anything switching in and I did 91% damage to what I'm guessing is a standard Clodsire set. Clodsire is supposed to be a special defensive wall...what happened?

How is that fair? Like I feel bad for using it on my team.

View attachment 477303
No, please don't! How am I suppose to win games if Chi-Yu isn't in the tier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 12)