Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you can come up with a reasonably possible stat spread that would deny archaludon even a niche in ou, i'd be impressed
If it's denied a niche, it would likely be because of its movepool not being up to snuff. I thought Duraludon would be super viable last gen too since it's stat spread is decent, but a combo of low special bulk and being outclassed by other options led to it seeing no use.

Honestly, archaludon's stat spread will probably be worse than Goodra-H and while I think that mon has potential, many others don't.

if you can come up with a reasonably possible stat spread that would deny archaludon even a niche in ou, i'd be impressed
I could see it being a steel/dragon Vikavolt. Slower than its pre-evo with massive spark. If that winds up being the case, it'd need to hit certain tiers or be doomed to a borderline somewhere.

If it's denied a niche, it would likely be because of its movepool not being up to snuff. I thought Duraludon would be super viable last gen too since it's stat spread is decent, but a combo of low special bulk and being outclassed by other options led to it seeing no use.

Honestly, archaludon's stat spread will probably be worse than Goodra-H and while I think that mon has potential, many others don't.
you do bring up a good point with goodra-h, but goodra-h doesn't have access to stamina or a meteor beam clone that charges instantly in rain. i feel like duraludon could have at least gotten onto the vr with those two and no other changes

goodra h sucks because its a wall with no recovery, that makes no progress with little utility, and gets chipped very quickly

archaludon has a broken signature move with a great type for rain with already good enough spatk with a great movepool getting at least +60 in BST

goodra h sucks because its a wall with no recovery, that makes no progress with little utility, and gets chipped very quickly

archaludon has a broken signature move with a great type for rain with already good enough spatk with a great movepool getting at least +60 in BST
Not only that but stamina lets it spiral very quickly especially with possibly even better physical bulk when it evolves. So happy its on something besides mud horse

i wouldn't count on "at least +60", or even any addition to its bst at all instead of just shuffling it around, but what i don't think they'll do under any circumstances is lower its spa (unless they buff its attack to compensate) or defensive bulk. archaludon doesn't really need much to end up being good, because duraludon has most of the tools necessary to be good. it only suffers from three key issues:
  • sceptile syndrome: its spa is better than its physical attack, but its physical movepool is better than its special movepool and it lacks key things (for example, a way to hit steel-types aside from an unboosted and probably uninvested body press)
  • stonjourner syndrome: it has good physical bulk, a good attacking stat, and better speed than you'd think, but basically no sp. def at all
  • slaking syndrome: it has good overall stats but no useful abilities (in duraludon's case, no abilities whatsoever)
archaludon is already documented to fix the third issue. if one of the other two is resolved or even simply improved, i expect archaludon to find a niche in the tier at minimum, and it's a virtual guarantee that its base stats will at least be moved around—if nothing else, it'll probably exchange some speed for having an actual sp. def stat

Hopefully Archadulon does end up making it in OU (considering the design philosophy GF seems to be adhering to for Gen 9 pokemon, I wouldn't be surprised) because Steel/Dragon is a cool typing that has unfortunately been confined to a box legend which has become less and less viable in Ubers and, well, Duradulon.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I don't expect Archaludon to have a significantly higher BST because Duraludon is already dangerously close to 570, and Game Freak tends to reserve that number for the lesser legendaries. Archaludon will probably just have a stat reshuffle to tank its Speed for Trick Room abuse, giving it a role in Doubles but not much in Singles without other reworks.

Yeah I am taking a break, decided that yesterday and played my last few ladder matches today.
No real reason to play until DLC drops so it's a perfect time to take a hiatus.
I only talk poorly about the current state of the meta because I know it could be improved.
Council could do a QB of Tera Blast and the meta instantly gets better overnight.

Very few ppl enjoy the meta in it's current state, pro tera or not.
Council can't do much w Tera as the community can't agree on what should or shouldn't be done and most likely never will.
Players are inadvertently voting against their best interests and nothing can change that either it seems.

The DLC mons are just more mons that are OHKO to fallen 5 +2 sucker, or get tera'd on and lose that way, I don't really get the hype.
When we get new sweeper, wallbreakers, and fat stall mons that will have multiple viable teras, I can't see how that makes things better.
You already have to be ready for the insane threats we have, and prep for the 2-4 teras that they might be.

I actually encourage everyone to take this time between DLC off and come back fresh when we have some new toys that will be fun to break.
This is going to come across as sarcastic in text without tone indicators but I sincerely mean it: good. Take a break if you're not having fun. Work on your backlog or a project or whatever. Come back refreshed and rejuvenated.

I don't expect Archaludon to have a significantly higher BST because Duraludon is already dangerously close to 570, and Game Freak tends to reserve that number for the lesser legendaries. Archaludon will probably just have a stat reshuffle to tank its Speed for Trick Room abuse, giving it a role in Doubles but not much in Singles without other reworks.
I think it's reasonable to assume that it's going to either have a stat re-organization (e.g. Scyther-Scizor-Kleavor) or at most bump Archaludon's BST to 550 (a la Arcanine, Volcarona, etc.). From the flavor text, it seems like it's a bulkier, slower Pokemon. A defensive-oriented Dragon/Steel might be cool to mess around with.

Clefable is gonna make stall much better. I can see magic guard + lefties which when paired with a regenerator core is unbreakable

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave / anything lol
- Moonlight
- Calm Mind

I don't see Archaludon bypassing these weaknesses, esp if it retains its low special bulk from its base form. Its main advantage on "standard teams" should be its higher special attack stat, but it will still get worn down fast by Spikes like H-Goodra. I may be underselling the value of that signature move tbf.

i wouldn't count on "at least +60", or even any addition to its bst at all instead of just shuffling it around, but what i don't think they'll do under any circumstances is lower its spa (unless they buff its attack to compensate) or defensive bulk. archaludon doesn't really need much to end up being good, because duraludon has most of the tools necessary to be good. it only suffers from three key issues:
  • sceptile syndrome: its spa is better than its physical attack, but its physical movepool is better than its special movepool and it lacks key things (for example, a way to hit steel-types aside from an unboosted and probably uninvested body press)
  • stonjourner syndrome: it has good physical bulk, a good attacking stat, and better speed than you'd think, but basically no sp. def at all
  • slaking syndrome: it has good overall stats but no useful abilities (in duraludon's case, no abilities whatsoever)
archaludon is already documented to fix the third issue. if one of the other two is resolved or even simply improved, i expect archaludon to find a niche in the tier at minimum, and it's a virtual guarantee that its base stats will at least be moved around—if nothing else, it'll probably exchange some speed for having an actual sp. def stat
It's physical movepool isn't that good. It basically trades Dark- and Electric- coverage for Ground- and Fighting-Coverage. That sounds awesome until you realize that the moves its relying on the physical side are Stomping Tantrum and Brick Break. In a metagame without Ferro, I think the Dark- and Electric- coverage would be more useful to hit Gholdengo and Corv. The main advantage Physical Duraludon has is Swords Dance, which is pretty awesome, but it has to rely on really weak moves like Dragon Claw and the low BP coverage + it didn't have Scale Shot like other Dragons, making an SD set mostly outclassed.

The special bulk weakness was actually really bad for Duraludon, I agree. The main benefit of its typing is dealing with key Special threats, but its low Special Bulk canceled out the value their. Not helping matters is how its neutral to a lot of attacks it would resist as either a pure Steel- or Dragon-Type, like Ice Beam, Moonblast, Flamethrower, etc.

I completely agree that Archaludon having an ability that isn't useless is a massive boon over base Duraludon. Sturdy is really awesome since it would be improving an existing Duraludon set significantly: Eject Pack Stealth Rock. Stamina is a big buff to general attacking sets since it will improve the damage of its Body Press. A set like ID + BP probably doesn't even need to run ID anymore and can swap it out for other options like Sub.

I can kind of see the reasoning for Lando-I. It works better in slower formats due to its awkward Speed tier and thus isn't as impactful in a highly offensive meta, especially since it currently lacks Rock Polish. But if it gets a Speed-boosting move then all bets are off.
By that logic, unban Chi-Yu.

If you don't believe that any of the Pokemon you listed should be unbanned, why advocate for the council to do the opposite? If you're going to argue for an action, at least show your work and explain your reasoning. If you personally even don't believe it, I can only imagine it'd be hard for you to support your claim.

I think Lando-I might be a somewhat plausible unban candidate. The only case against it is that Tera types can already improve Lando-I's breaking capability as well as make him hard to RK. Also, Lando-I with NP makes it extremely hard to play around.
All I'm saying is that, unlike mons like Chi-Yu who are undeniably broken no matter the circumstances, the ones I listed are broken due to the metagame status and having no reasonable counters. Just like the council did with HOME, seeing how there's even the slightest of support to unban these mons, the council should reunite and consider if these mons are up for an unban come DLC1, and even if I don't agree with an unban, I believe that it is fair to consider them. It's all just democratic process.

All I'm saying is that, unlike mons like Chi-Yu who are undeniably broken no matter the circumstances, the ones I listed are broken due to the metagame status and having no reasonable counters. Just like the council did with HOME, seeing how there's even the slightest of support to unban these mons, the council should reunite and consider if these mons are up for an unban come DLC1, and even if I don't agree with an unban, I believe that it is fair to consider them. It's all just democratic process.
Is there??? I've only seen support for Volc to come back, I've not seen a want for any other mon to be unbanned

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Personally I doubt it's about Stats, it's definitely going to boil down to movepool. If the movepool changes are truly just Dura + Tera Blast and it's new sig, it's not OU. No good coverage options will always be the death of an offensive mon.

Speculating about stats is so stupid since we have no idea what it's stat spread is going to be as well. A Pokemon with this high a BST getting an evolution is unprecedented, it could get 550 BST like the other Pokémon. It could keep the 535 BST for all we know.

We have very little knowledge on Arch, so I think it's more concurrent to just drop the argument altogether, and focus on aspects of the DLC we have more knowledge on.

A fun thought experiment based on that in mind, doomsday scenario Milotic learning Scald from the DLC is not only true, but it's somehow the only other Pokémon to learn it. Would that frankly have any real impact on Milotic's viability for a potential OU metagame, or even in that doomsday scenario we can still expect Milotic to be our trustworthy RU savant?

658Greninja

is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
A fun thought experiment based on that in mind, doomsday scenario Milotic learning Scald from the DLC is not only true, but it's somehow the only other Pokémon to learn it. Would that frankly have any real impact on Milotic's viability for a potential OU metagame, or even in that doomsday scenario we can still expect Milotic to be our trustworthy RU savant?
Scald is for sure making a comeback. Though I do hope they lessen the distribution this time. Give it to mons that would actually need it like Gastro. Maybe give it to Politoed and not Peli so it might find a niche over it. (Quaquaval with Scald might also be interesting)

TL;DR Just don’t give it to Pex.

if the situation with transfer moves stays the same, milotic is losing toxic, which ruins its matchups against defensive mons. that and the recover pp nerf probably collectively outweigh the benefit of being the only mon with scald (volcanion doesn't count because it never, ever runs it over steam eruption)

Is there??? I've only seen support for Volc to come back, I've not seen a want for any other mon to be unbanned
I mean there's the whole H-Zoro argument with Annihilape and I've seen ppl that genuinely enjoy Urshifu... but yeah maybe that was unnecessary from my part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)