Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
breaking news: local badge owner incapable of just letting people enjoy things
I mean they have a good point. Without replays these posts feel only a step above theorymon, not much to take in beyond "cool sets for kricketune (which no one will use)". Not to say morkal is lying but as a discussion topic it's a dead end beyond the usual "omg heat" comments and then people will forget about it in essence

tier shifts are coming soon. predictions, anyone?
I haven't played that much this month but I have a few.

I could see :skeledirge: rising back up from UU, I think it's excellent and I've seen it a fair bit. :Meowscarada: could potentially rise back but it could go either way. :moltres: could see a rise maybe?

I've seen :sandy_shocks: and tank :garchomp: a good bit so they might not drop yet. And as much as I like :Volcanion: it might just drop because I don't see it as much. Also :Iron_treads: is never gonna drop lmfao.

tier shifts are coming soon. predictions, anyone?
Treads, clodsire and chomp finally drop (Although i'm not positive about treads mainly because I don't see it much, but low ladder players spam it too much regardless, but even there i see it way less than last month)

Shocks drops

Meow stays uu, since it isn't very good here.

Skeledirge, Galarian Moltres, and Moltres all rise to OU. (Not as sure about moltres but taking skeledirge and galarian moltres would do uu some massive favors.)

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
I will take Morkal's posts, replays or not, before reading the cringe that is the debate about RNG, wall of calcs, or anything on the OU Metagame Spin The Wheel. Especially with the brain rot replies I've skimmed through lately. See Dhrabb's post above for the bare minimum standard to make a decent post. Thanks in advance peeps.

Moltres, Meow, Greninja, and Cresselia are all OU. I don't think any are a shock except maybe Meow? but not really.

Welcome to the club guys.
Well, I was expecting meow to rise alongside greninja, but I didn´t expect cresselia to rise. I guess her calm mind stored power set is just pretty good.

Also I´m glad moltres rose, it felt quite weird seeing the bird fell last month into UU.

I've seen :sandy_shocks: and tank :garchomp: a good bit so they might not drop yet. And as much as I like :Volcanion: it might just drop because I don't see it as much. Also :Iron_treads: is never gonna drop lmfao.
Volcanion always feels like a perpetual A-Ranked UUBL Pokemon in that it always finds a pretty potent spot in OU but never actually achieves the usage to be there officially, which I guess it all the moreso this gen with the threat volume dropping stuff like Meowscarada to UU level usage.

I'm kind of surprised Volcanion hasn't seen more usage with the Scald culling, given it now has a unique trait of spreading Water-based Burns (something with a lot of value in the face of Tera-Fire Burn dodgers like Kingambit) to both cripple Physicals even if they Tera out of the weakness, as well as add yet more chip damage to a Meta loaded with Spikes. Tera with an immunity ability is always a riot, making Volcanion's existence a soft-check to Rain and now Sun with Walking Wake in tandem alongside a really good tanky-attacker stat distribution.

The Taunt set looks like it should make Stall (or at least defensively oriented Pokemon) cry, because good luck eating neutral hits like this, and a Taunted Bulky-Water resist seems like it shouts "set-up on me" this Gen.

252+ SpA Volcanion Steam Eruption vs. 252 HP / 116 SpD Tera Fairy Garganacl: 190-225 (47 - 55.6%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Great Tusk and Kingambit are neck and neck in usage, which isn't too surprising but kinda crazy nonetheless. Tusk faces competition from Lando on teams that prefer pivoting than removal, while Gambit is just in a roll. I have to wonder if it would become number 1 at some point through sheer power alone if it doesn't get banned in the ongoing suspect. What's also interesting is that the difference between the number 2 and number 3 mons is also much wider, which speaks to the ubiquity of Gambit even more.

Famous last words
Was about to say that aged like milk lmao. I had given up hope of it dropping as I genuinely do see it on some teams quite often but seems that's just my mind filtering stuff.

Hold up. Ting-Lu overtook Lando-T. I didn't expect that, especially when everyone and their mother is trying to hit ground types and dark types.

Hold up. Ting-Lu overtook Lando-T. I didn't expect that, especially when everyone and their mother is trying to hit ground types and dark types.
I genuinely think that Lando needs to pivot to more offensive sets, probably with Tera Flying to make itself more unique. It’s pretty easily the worst of the defensive ground types we have access to right now, but as an offensive ground it could stand out

Happy to see Gren is back in OU and at such a decent position.

Dragonite had a hefty drop but he's still really good. Also Cinderace almost top 10, is it because of CC or why?

Nickos

Quack
is a Tiering Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributor
Happy to see Gren is back in OU and at such a decent position.

Dragonite had a hefty drop but he's still really good. Also Cinderace almost top 10, is it because of CC or why?
Cinderace is pretty much a Court Change bot rn, which I can't blame people for because hazard removal fucking sucks this gen and Samurott-Hisui existing doesn't help at all

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
Noteworthy Usage Rises from June to July:

Rises:

- :kingambit: (#3, 30.09% -> #2, 46.04%)

The most massive jump of all, from just under 1/3 teams to almost half of all teams is an insane rise. It's just shy of beating out the longtime OU champion Great Tusk. I don't even believe the current suspect is contributing that much, due to it starting later in the month.

- :baxcalibur: (#12, 13.595% -> #7, 21.538%)

Baxcalibur has just been getting better and better. Turns out a 100bp dragon move with little drawback, off of a 145 base attack, coupled with the best offensive type in the game (ice), earthquake as coverage, Dragon Dance AND Swords Dance, a burn immunity, boosted attack when hit with fire moves, Ice Shard as priority AND offensive or defensive tera turns out to be a pretty busted mon. Kyurem would be rolling in it's gen 8 grave if it were in the game today and almost definitely entirely outclassed. This mon has no true counters once it's set up, Dondozo, Zamazenta and Air Balloon Gholdengo are probably your best bets, but those are pretty much only checks once, you're kinda screwed if it comes back in and sets up again.

- :cinderace: (#28, 6.655% -> #11, 14.795%)

Cinderace has recently gotten a large bump of usage due to it's ability to remove hazards 100% of the time, as well as it's fast pivoting abilities, strong stab pyro ball, as well as Will-o-Wisp. It's giving people an option other than being forced to run Great Tusk for removal, which is very nice to see.

- :dondozo: (#40, 4.989% -> #21, 8.605%)

This was a pretty big jump, Dondozo was falling out during the month of july, almost reaching UU as it was just seen as too passive in the face of the meta that was getting more and more offensive. It now just got a huge jump, this is probably due to it being the best Baxcalibur check in the game, being a safety measure against one of the strongest sweepers currently. Some have also been using a combination of Body Press and Avalanche, to beat Kingambit even if it's used Tera Flying.

- :greninja: (#69 (nice), 1.449% -> #23, 7.891%)

They did my boi DIRTY last month, being curb-stomped to UU. I believe this is at least somewhat in part due to Battle Bond not being implemented until the month of July, bringing a lot more popularity to this mon. It has a ton of nice sets, protean specs, spikes lead, tera blast battle bond, definitely a jack of all trades.

- :sandy_shocks: (#41, 4.765% -> #24, 7.532%)

Lead Sandy Shocks has gotten fairly popular as of late on some HO structures, having electric/ground coverage is very good, especially when you can tera blast ice if need be, grounds arent even safe staying in on it, just by the fear of it using tera and flipping the matchup.

Might do a noteworthy drops post later :p

- :greninja: (#69 (nice), 1.449% -> #23, 7.891%)
Nice.

- :sandy_shocks: (#41, 4.765% -> #24, 7.532%)

Lead Sandy Shocks has gotten fairly popular as of late on some HO structures, having electric/ground coverage is very good, especially when you can tera blast ice if need be, grounds arent even safe staying in on it, just by the fear of it using tera and flipping the matchup.

Might do a noteworthy drops post later :p
There is very little more satisfying than smoking a Dragapult or Great Tusk turn 1 that thinks it has the advantage. I've heard of other types like Water and Grass to soften moves aiming for Shocks's normal typing while still threatening Ground-types, but I don't think there's any topping Electric/Ground/Ice STAB coverage.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
*Tyranitar drops from UU to RU*
View attachment 539407
Power creep is a bitch. We really need Drill rn.
The removal of Pursuit last Gen also hurt a lot. Tyranitar's bulk made it one of the best users of the move and a big reason why it was so threatening. Imagine if we could Pursuit trap Gholdengo, Glowking, or a Choice-locked Dragapult.

Without Pursuit all it does is set Sand and Rocks, and you're probably better off running Hippowdon at that point.

Can we talk about how four Gen 8 OU mons are now currently in RU in Gen 9?

Weavile, Slowbro, Mew and now Tyranitar.

As someone who didn't play much of Gen 8, can someone explain this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)