Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wanna talk about power creep.

It's universal in every. It's why Skarmory was UU in gen 8 (mainly cuz corv outclassed it), or why Chien-Pao being drugged Weavile made it RU as well as a few other loses in moves like Knock Off and Triple Axel. Everything will eventually drop from OU that isn't banned - its inevitable. You know, you can't really stop it from happening

But I SWEAR TO GOD

I put this ON MY SOUL
:sv/garchomp:
If GARCHOMP. An OU LIFER who gained Spikes this gen -- making its hazard game even better -- EVER dropped to NU at any given point in time, I'm not playing this game anymore. I will fucking QUIT this game and everything about it. Never look back. Wherever that gen may be it can shove itself into a hole and never get out of it.

All of this being said, there's gonna be a gen with this happening, and I'm scared. Power creep has no boundaries

There's an easy solution to fighting power creep in OU:
Accept Ubers as a real format.
Make OU answer to the same tiering it imposes on UU.
Make every Pokemon with a 4.52% stat in Uber BANNED from OU.
That's how you fix tiering and balance out the roster.
You lose all of the completely asinine legendaries designed over the past 5 generations.

Subject yourselves to the same tier shift nightmares that happens to UU every single month.

Break out the laugh reacts, but realize that I'm serious. The only way to stop power creep is to accept that you are using Uber level pokemon in OU.
Make the delineation clearer between OU and Ubers. Answer to the 4.52% usage stat.

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I wanna talk about power creep.

It's universal in every. It's why Skarmory was UU in gen 8 (mainly cuz corv outclassed it), or why Chien-Pao being drugged Weavile made it RU as well as a few other loses in moves like Knock Off and Triple Axel. Everything will eventually drop from OU that isn't banned - its inevitable. You know, you can't really stop it from happening

But I SWEAR TO GOD

I put this ON MY SOUL
:sv/garchomp:
If GARCHOMP. An OU LIFER who gained Spikes this gen -- making its hazard game even better -- EVER dropped to NU at any given point in time, I'm not playing this game anymore. I will fucking QUIT this game and everything about it. Never look back. Wherever that gen may be it can shove itself into a hole and never get out of it.

All of this being said, there's gonna be a gen with this happening, and I'm scared. Power creep has no boundaries
Same here. it's kinda sad that gamefreak are so obssessed with the gen 1 shit like DragoUgly and neglect the pokemon from later gens. They didn't even give Garchomp fucking dragon dance for fuck's sake. Personally, I'm not gonna quit just yet even if ol Chompy boi drops to uu because we're still in the Home metagame which will get fucked up once the dlcs come around, if they ever get released that is. If Chompy doesn't get any new shit in the dlcs, fuck pokemon. I'm gonna sell my soul to Satan and have him curse gamefreak

Not just Garchomp but even stuff like Salamence, Metagross, Haxorus, Hydreigon, or many others don't even get new tools, or rather, the tools they need. Like how Garchomp needs dragon dance or something to reliably boost its speed, Hydreigon needs a poison move or the others need some sort of buff to keep them relevant in ou

Honestly though, power creep in this generation is on a whole new level of insanity. We got mons with stupidly insane abilities like Garganacl or Gholdengo. Then there's the paradox mons who are just their base forms but on steroids. Gamefreak was obviously high on meth when they made the paradox mons because they couldn't even come up with actual names for them. And when you consider how much bugs SV had when it was released, it makes one wonder if gamefreak was indeed high on meth when they were developing this game

You lose all of the completely asinine legendaries designed over the past 5 generations.

Subject yourselves to the same tier shift nightmares that happens to UU every single month.

Break out the laugh reacts, but realize that I'm serious. The only way to stop power creep is to accept that you are using Uber level pokemon in OU.
Make the delineation clearer between OU and Ubers. Answer to the 4.52% usage stat.
While you're at it, give everything with a 4.52% usage rate in AG a ban in Ubers, out of fairness, and accepting that you're using AG level pokemon in Ubers. Make AG a real tier.
(this is a bad idea, applying this to any prevgen OU would result in half the meta threats being banned, this isn't a gen 9 OU problem)

hi, your resident low-ladder scrub here. I'm hesitant to give this knowledge out but... tera fairy sash hisuian-zoroark. that is all
I was a Zoro-H shill before home (with tera fairy always - rarely used tera tho) but I haven't bothered with him since all the broken stuff is in the meta. I will probably revisit him if/when Zamazenta gets banned. I like Zoro-H a lot.

I'll probably go back to him after Zamazenta gets banned.

I think the only uber level Pokemon in OU right now is Zamazenta. Who almost certainly wouldn't have usage in ubers and would end up in OU under your proposal (along with a few other mons with 680 BST or higher).

The tier would get a lot worse if you do that.

If that's the case, then last gen SHUCKLE would be in Ubers. I don't think that's a good idea

ou use lando to position your hard hitters

in eleki meta landrous was A+ tier, since it could pivot on something, then u turn out to eleki. Eleki could then volt switch on fast things that survive thunderbolt, and electro ball slow things that you want to delete

but that’s a very extreme example of positioning a hyper-threat that showcases the utility of 2 immunities, plenty of resists, and intimidate to soften physical attacks.

In the current meta, you use landorus to check something, u turn out, and safely get in your Pokémon that needs positioning support. Every now and again you smack something hard with STAB EQ or a rock attack. Can also taunt away recovery/spore attempts.

I don’t think SD is very strong in current meta.
???

LandoT still performs its pivoting job very well. Especially in such a spikes heavy metagame, which its immune to, this is really big. Lando is still top as a ground and a fantastic mon, simply dipping into less used options. You say powercreep but what way has it affected Lando? Maybe not S tier anymore, but callinv it a B mon is just silly when it is still so reliable defensively.

I feel like some people forget that Lando only had Defog from USUM through SWSH. It did its thing extremely well even before that and isn't really gonna stop because it lost defog.

Also double ground is not remotely weird or unusual. Neither is double flying teams.
My issue with Lando is that Slowking does it better, mainly because of regenerator , the lack of recovery on a mon with that needs to come in often is kinda bad, especially when the meta is starting to get longer matches. Similar to Rotom-W the lack of recovery makes them easy to overwhelm, they can use leftovers+protect but that also opens the possibility of being used as set up fodder. The lost of defog, knock off and toxic also brings other issue, now the small or nule investment of attack is notable, with any of those moves giving Lando the chance of enter to the field felt like a huge punishment because those moves could do something useful at the long run now Lando is kinda meh since it is either going to EQ or u-turn wouldn't do much in some cases (Ursaluna is still going to take a big chunk of the incoming mon or destroy lando). Uninvested EQ doesn't do much so without knock off stuff like Garg also can take advantage of Lando.
Yeah, it still can do its thing, but like I mentioned Lando getting into the field isn't as impactful as before and even feels like a worse version of Corv or Rotom since the first has recovery and defog while Rotom can spread status, something that has more impact that the -1 attack. All depends on the match up, naturally, but I haven't feel like Lando justified being included on the rival team when I have encountered it.

While you're at it, give everything with a 4.52% usage rate in AG a ban in Ubers, out of fairness, and accepting that you're using AG level pokemon in Ubers. Make AG a real tier.
Correct.
Moving on.

If that's the case, then last gen SHUCKLE would be in Ubers. I don't think that's a good idea
"Ubers has a different metagame than OU" quote Finchinator(?) from a post either pre-home or last generation (pretty sure it was finch, but I don't care to go back and check).
I know this would fundamentally change "what OU is", but it is the only way to completely cut power creep out of the game. Relegate the best of the best to Ubers, and let the rest be OU, where they belong.
Let OU have its garchomps and Ttars, and let uber have its Great Fusks and Iron Treads.
I know this will literally never happen, but I'm just saying that's the only way you save Garchomp from being crept out of OU. You have to DEFINE OU as something other than "diet Ubers".
I could dig up the stats that I did last time, where like... 7 of your mainstays are ubers by usage stats, but I again don't have the time or inclination to dig the data back up. I'm sure it won't matter anyway.

Regardless, I hope Garchomp enjoys UUBL, or better yet UU realizes that it's the real OU format, with Scizor, Zone, Ttar, Gengar, Garchomp and others, so people start playing UU instead.

Correct.
Moving on.

"Ubers has a different metagame than OU" quote Finchinator(?) from a post either pre-home or last generation (pretty sure it was finch, but I don't care to go back and check).
I know this would fundamentally change "what OU is", but it is the only way to completely cut power creep out of the game. Relegate the best of the best to Ubers, and let the rest be OU, where they belong.
Let OU have its garchomps and Ttars, and let uber have its Great Fusks and Iron Treads.
I know this will literally never happen, but I'm just saying that's the only way you save Garchomp from being crept out of OU. You have to DEFINE OU as something other than "diet Ubers".
I could dig up the stats that I did last time, where like... 7 of your mainstays are ubers by usage stats, but I again don't have the time or inclination to dig the data back up. I'm sure it won't matter anyway.

Regardless, I hope Garchomp enjoys UUBL, or better yet UU realizes that it's the real OU format, with Scizor, Zone, Ttar, Gengar, Garchomp and others, so people start playing UU instead.
Trading Tusk and Treads for 10 Arceus forms, Zekrom, Reshiram, the stupid Shaymin sky would be way worse lol, with that is more likely that Chomp ends on Ru if anything.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
So I've gathered some of my thoughts after laddering quite a lot in the last couple of days.

I think Zama-H is definitely in the upper echelon of A tier mons. It's Body Press set is pretty good, I can see value in the Choice Band sets as well, it is definitely nowhere near as annoying as it's brother Zama-C. 120 Base attack (especially when it's always running Jolly isn't that much). Now if it gained Swords Dance instead of Howl it'll be a different story maybe but I'll elaborate on Zama-C opinions on the suspect thread. I'll be voting No Ban.

Now mons I think needs to get banned (and the main point of this post):

Ursaluna might be slow but there's so much Trick Room setters now, Slowking, Glowking, Cresselia, and Hatterene to name the notable ones. They're all good mons and it's not difficult to set Trick Room to be honest, you pivot out to Ursaluna and it just goes to town.

Some ridiculous calcs with tera included for realism:
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 185-218 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 316-372 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 348-410 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Copied
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 442-520 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ting-Lu: 328-386 (63.8 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ursaluna has single handedly invalidated stall this generation, it breaks through everything. I think it's sheer power in combination with Tera (which should get banned) it's too overwhelming and should be the next suspect test for sure. Don't forget with no EVs added it has 401 HP and 246 Defense, this thing is not easy to take down even with Burn damage included. It's slow but it has access to Trailblaze and if it's running Jolly it can hit 327 (+1) speed which is kind of crazy for a bulky piece of shit to be honest. I think we can view it again in OU if tera does end up getting banned but in this current environment it just has too much power.

I also think Ting-Lu and Sneasler should get banned but I'll break that down in a different post so this doesn't become TLDR.

Last edited:
I also think Ting-Lu should get banned
Bro thinks this is VGC.
Ursa matches up badly against offense even with Trick room, Mag was the one caring the archetype, even with its bulk can't get more than a kill.
Personally I see ursa as a worse Gambit because of the defensive typing and lack of priority, I'm curious on how stall deals with Gambit and why that doesn't work with Ursa?

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ursaluna is definitely strong but not banworth. It is a Trick Room Pokémon with no hazard immunity or self-sustain that is also reliant on self-Burn to power up Guts. This means having even a single turn wasted by a Protect, misprediction (reminder that Normal and Ground are both decently common immunities), or surprise Tera Ghost is very very bad because you're running out of TR and taking damage that can put you into priority range. This isn't even taking potential Rocky Helmet chip into account, which is also super bad. (Anyone still running fat Chomp can just sac it to eat a little over 1/3 of Ursaluna's health.) And if Trick Room somehow doesn't go up it's kind of dead weight and will probably only get one kill.

As an aside, spamming Sucker Punch is objectively the best move against an Ursaluna under TR if it's in range because the move has enough PP to stall out the turns.

So I've gathered some of my thoughts after laddering quite a lot in the last couple of days.

I think Zama-H is definitely in the upper echelon of A tier mons. It's Body Press set is pretty good, I can see value in the Choice Band sets as well, it is definitely nowhere near as annoying as it's brother Zama-C. 120 Base attack (especially when it's always running Jolly isn't that much). Now if it gained Swords Dance instead of Howl it'll be a different story maybe but I'll elaborate on Zama-C opinions on the suspect thread. I'll be voting No Ban.

Now mons I think needs to get banned (and the main point of this post):

Ursaluna might be slow but there's so much Trick Room setters now, Slowking, Glowking, Cresselia, and Hatterene to name the notable ones. They're all good mons and it's not difficult to set Trick Room to be honest, you pivot out to Ursaluna and it just goes to town.

Some ridiculous calcs with tera included for realism:
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Corviknight: 185-218 (46.3 - 54.6%) -- 59% chance to 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Great Tusk: 316-372 (72.8 - 85.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Dondozo: 348-410 (69 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO Copied
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 442-520 (82.7 - 97.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Guts Tera Normal Ursaluna Facade (140 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ting-Lu: 328-386 (63.8 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Ursaluna has single handedly invalidated stall this generation, it breaks through everything. I think it's sheer power in combination with Tera (which should get banned) it's too overwhelming and should be the next suspect test for sure. Don't forget with no EVs added it has 401 HP and 246 Defense, this thing is not easy to take down even with Burn damage included. It's slow but it has access to Trailblaze and if it's running Jolly it can hit 327 (+1) speed which is kind of crazy for a bulky piece of shit to be honest. I think we can view it again in OU if tera does end up getting banned but in this current environment it just has too much power.

I also think Ting-Lu and Sneasler should get banned but I'll break that down in a different post so this doesn't become TLDR.
i often wonder where people’s thoughts sit on what “justifies” a ban.

I am of the opinion that a ban is justified when something is just “too good” at fulfilling its purpose.

an example of something good at fulfilling its purpose is cinderace, it can reliably dissuade hazards and court change away the hazards most of the time. It also hits decently hard and can pivot.

an example of something that really feels borderline “too good” at its purpose is kingambit, if it’s preserved right and the opponent isn’t forced to Tera anything else, it just wins end games on coin flips.

meanwhile I look at ting Lu and sneasler and they just don’t seem to be too overbearing at their purpose.

and most definitely not Ursaluna, it’s strong and hits hard, but is being excellent at stallbreaking really overbearing? There’s been some responses from stall too. I have seen Highv0ltag3 adapt to ursaluna with fast corviknight for example. Ursaluna is good at trading, similar to Melmetal. It doesn’t have as much defensive utility tho, that’s traded for more intense offensive pressure.

i often wonder where people’s thoughts sit on what “justifies” a ban.

I am of the opinion that a ban is justified when something is just “too good” at fulfilling its purpose.

an example of something good at fulfilling its purpose is cinderace, it can reliably dissuade hazards and court change away the hazards most of the time. It also hits decently hard and can pivot.

an example of something that really feels borderline “too good” at its purpose is kingambit, if it’s preserved right and the opponent isn’t forced to Tera anything else, it just wins end games on coin flips.

meanwhile I look at ting Lu and sneasler and they just don’t seem to be too overbearing at their purpose.

and most definitely not Ursaluna, it’s strong and hits hard, but is being excellent at stallbreaking really overbearing? I have seen Highv0ltag3 adapt to ursaluna with fast corviknight for example. Ursaluna is good at trading, similar to Melmetal. It doesn’t have as much defensive utility tho, that’s traded for more intense offensive pressure.
For me its justified to ban something when:

- it has no clear counterplay,

- warps the meta in a way where you can't teambuild unless its to team build against it/use it yourself,

- overall makes the tier a better place when gone which is very subjective to think about but ultimately I think the one everyone will hold onto on a personal level more than anything. No matter how professional you look at it, there's always a hint of bias in someone's vote that will look for reasons to defend/remove something.

Ex; Zama-H feels like this to me,

- counterplay is very limited to non-existant, as it can muscle anything the tier throws at it and hit harder back, if it doesn't just hit first with its high speed stat. If you do take it down, you're suffering losses to deal with its allies.

- the meta doesn't seem warped around it to be fair but it heavily punishes more physical-oriented teams with its defensive bulk, while slotting it on your team is very rewarding in checking physical mons and still being an offensive threat. You can run it on HO/balance and still fucking tank opposing HO/balance while dealing the damage, just is too much.

- Zama-H removal makes the tier balanced, I still standby a mon that can setup that fast, have those stats, and not even be revenge killable is just ridiculous to play around.

I don't feel volc falls in my justification in that cause;

- There was clear counterplay to various volc sets, the only inconsistency is which set it was running but each set had a large pool of checks/counters. I actually didn't see volc that often, i would browse live battles to see if i could find a volc game and i found 2 in the 15 i tried (above 1500 elo) so clearly it wasn't as desired as made out to be.

- It didn't warp the meta, you may argue that you'd have to run volc checks to not get swept and rely on matchup fishing, but all the volc 'checks' were very viable pokemon you still are using now with volc gone. I'm not seeing heatran in UU now that volc is gone.

- Whether the tier is a better place without it is subjective and anyone can voice their opinion on that, but IME and IMO; the removal of volc I genuinely don't notice a difference in the meta besides zama-h is even stronger and kingambit is the 'new volc' now that volc itself isn't checking it or there to be gaslit instead. It's hard to argue if the tier got better, it doesn't feel like the tier has changed besides I can't use volc but other mons doing the same thing (abusing tera to get a free turn to reverse shit on a game) still exist so personally I don't find it a better place now. I stand by suspect testing volc isn't nearly as important as suspect testing tera cause volc's impact was highly overstated (evident now, tell me what meaningful changes the ban impacted on the meta) and there'd be no question about dropping it if the tera test goes ban.

Ursaluna doesn't feel that way to me either.

- There's counterplay in ursaluna, its slow and you can stall out its trick room turns. Its just a really hard hitting mon, frankly rampardos could do it if it was around ursaluna is just the best version of it we got.

- You're not running shitmons for counters, being slow there's a good natural pool of pokemon that can check/kill it, it might make priority more important since that's the best anti-trick room answer, but overall it hasn't warped much besides making trick room better.

- I don't think it makes OU a worse place being here cause its pretty cool trick room is viable again, it always felt like a cheesey playstyle that wasn't worth the effort to do but now we're seeing trick room success and unless trick room is a bad thing all of a sudden I don't see luna as an unwelcome guest.

Last edited:

Lemme see how well that works for Gen 8 OU given Oct. 2022 usage stats (the last full month of Gen 8 being the most recent generation, post-Crown Tundra so you are stuck with an average post-Dexit metagame but not the hugely restricted metas of the pre-HOME metagames):

Assuming roughly the same ELO tier as Gen 8 OU gets used for usage stats, so the Oct. 2022 Gen 8 Ubers (1630) stats are here

So we get to rip out Weavile, Ferrothorn, Aerodactyl, Shuckle, Lando-T, Slurpuff, Ditto, and Blissey from Gen 8 OU. I feel like the only actual power players we ripped out from Gen 8 OU with your system are Lando-T, Ferrothorn, Weavile, and Blissey. Not nearly enough to rip out the power creep, I bet. You'd also have to rip out the Tapus, Dragapult, Heatran, Zapdos, the Ultra Beasts, and Slowking-G to even approach that.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Let's see how much more power creep we can rip out from a mere post-HOME, pre-DLC version of Gen 8 OU with your system:

Feb. 2020 Gen 8 Ubers (1630) stats are here

We now get to rip out Ditto, Corviknight, Excadrill, Melmetal, Tyranitar, Quagsire, Dragapult, Ferrothorn, Dracovish (early), Mandibuzz, Hatterene, Grimmsnarl, Charizard, Dugtrio, Gyarados, Toxapex, and Cinderace (early) from that post-HOME Gen 8 OU meta. That's more like it.

Last edited:
Honestly zamazenta don’t feel too bad at all, whilst strong, it’s easy enough to deal with. Feels less impactful than quite a lot of other threats.

it doesn’t completely dissuade physical attackers.
here is a game where gambit easily beats it, in fact, gambit completely reverse sweeps against a 5-1 matchup.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1885809751-5x39n1ja5tji9xxfxnas7s6nnyex8h8pw

To be fair, i misplayed by sending out zamazenta last instead of wisp cinderace (relied on 80% stone miss instead of 85% will-o-misp). But my point still stands that kingambit is by far and away the most ridiculous Pokémon right now. There just is simply no reliable check to it.

Yes, everyone about to tell me: “get good, you had to anticipate a Tera in front of body press”, but I literally ladder for fun and don’t think too much 90% of games, it’s still ridiculous, removed all the fun from the game when you can get reverse end game sweeped from a simple guaranteed +2 and even +4 on a Pokémon that also gets 50% damage boost, crazy bulk and priority.

There’s literally 0 room for error, you have to get every turn right, and actually hit your moves against this thing that hits 100% of the time. If it’s got the 50% boost its priority is 105 BP and its non priority surpasses 120BP. Forget Volcarona this thing is ridiculous you can’t even survive a hit with a tank, you have to rely on 50/50s at best.

Forget choosing every turn right if you’re relying on non 100 accuracy moves like stone miss haha .

-

Back to the topic, last gen eleki made any team not running an electric immunity almost completely unviable. However it wasn’t broken in that meta. We have examples of Pokémon that forced certain team building aspects that were just fine.

Last edited:
Honestly zamazenta don’t feel too bad at all, whilst strong, it’s easy enough to deal with. Feels less impactful than quite a lot of other threats.

it doesn’t completely dissuade physical attackers.
here is a game where gambit easily beats it, in fact, gambit completely reverse sweeps against a 5-1 matchup.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1885809751-5x39n1ja5tji9xxfxnas7s6nnyex8h8pw

To be fair, i misplayed by sending out zamazenta last instead of wisp cinderace (relied on 80% stone miss instead of 85% will-o-misp). But my point still stands that kingambit is by far and away the most ridiculous Pokémon right now. There just is simply no reliable check to it.

Yes, everyone about to tell me: “get good, you had to anticipate a Tera in front of body press”, but I literally ladder for fun and don’t think too much 90% of games, it’s still ridiculous, removed all the fun from the game when you can get reverse end game sweeped from a simple guaranteed +2 and even +4 on a Pokémon that also gets 50% damage boost, crazy bulk and priority.

There’s literally 0 room for error, you have to get every turn right, and actually hit your moves against this thing that hits 100% of the time. If it’s got the 50% boost its priority is 105 BP and its non priority surpasses 120BP. Forget Volcarona this thing is ridiculous you can’t even survive a hit with a tank, you have to rely on 50/50s at best.

Forget choosing every turn right if you’re relying on non 100 accuracy moves like stone miss haha .
Considering the current trend of bans, we are likely to get an Iron Valiant and Great Tusks suspect first, with maybe a Dozo quickban for good measure.

Forget Stall agenda. Smogon has a Gambit agenda.
Back to the topic, last gen eleki made any team not running an electric immunity almost completely unviable. However it wasn’t broken in that meta. We have examples of Pokémon that forced certain team building aspects that were just fine.
I didn't like that. You think I want to run a ground-type on every team?

(Ignore that Tusk / Ting-Lu are on 90% of my teams)

Using fun as a competitive argument is invalid, else stall would be banned. Also, you didn't have to do a crazy predict to win this, simply click ID twice in front of the physical attacker. You also let zapdos get chipped too much, which would have been another way for your team to check it after it tera'd flying as it might have lived +2 sucker from full, depending on the set you were running. There are a ton of very good mons that can either simply always beat it 1v1 like tusk (bar fairy + tera blast) or mons that can just force it into sucker mindgames (like that wisp cinderace you had). There are also offensive checks like enamorus. I really think gambit is fine where it is in the meta, and only being perceived as OP because it was designed to pull reverse sweeps, which feels frustrating. But I'd say that's exactly the intent with this mon; it's a chess king, which is usually a powerless piece, that turns the tables and single handedly wins after it's army has been defeated. And its gameplay reflects that perfectly.

You claim it's too hard to check reliably because of tera; but what mon isn't ? Every set up sweeper can pull past its checks and counters with tera. Gambit isn't better at it than any other notorious tera abuser like dnite or zamazenta. Especially since teraing into flying to gain momentum changes its typing to a much worse once, defensively speaking (+ it loses prankster immunity, but that rarely ever comes up).

Last edited:

You claim it's too hard to check reliably because of tera; but what mon isn't ? Evert set up sweeper can pull past its checks and counters with tera. Gambit isn't better at it than any other notorious tera abuser like dnite or zamazenta.
I’m kinda claiming it is better than all the other “notorious” ones because it’s the only one that has so many viable types it can change to. it also conveniently forces 50/50s on a long list of things supposed to check it.

Volcarona got banned over 1 common Tera type and 2 less common ones. In a meta that was becoming less favourable to it, lol!

kingambit has at least 3 highly variable completely different Tera types that are S tier in viability and at least 3 more than are B+ in viability or more. There’s even some fringe ones that are still viable although less powerful than the 6 above them.

-

notes:

If cinderace was the play and it was Tera fire, then it gets easy +4 Atk as cinderace wastes a will o wisp and the

if it didn’t Tera, as it’s anticipating any other attack from the zamazenta, then that’s an easy +4 Atk if it Tera’s on the next turn.

I played Zam obviously on the game of chance, as it covers more tera types than the other Pokémon. Body press to defend against anticipated shenanigans (and force a win if they don’t Tera). Had coverage for the flying/fire/ghost and hydreigon can revenge most types zam hates except flying lol. but of course stone edge missed lol. Didn’t think it out in much more detail, but the reality is no other Pokémon needs you to think with that much variability. Lol.

the closest example i can think of is dragonite going tera normal on a gholdengo locked into shadow ball?

lol there’s no comparison. Dragonite at least can’t OHKO most walls after a turn of setup. It also foregoes powerful priority if it uses Tera to anything but normal.

please show me a few high elo replays of you masterfully getting around a late game kingambit that MU well against you. I’m almost sure it came down to calling 50/50s at best.

Zamazenta and dragonite are not great comparisons. They don’t just completely flip games on their head against 95% of OU. They might do it against 10% lol. they might beat one check and then be brought down by something else. This is much harder with Kingambit.

Last edited:
Using fun as a competitive argument is invalid, else stall would be banned.
Fun is absolutely a competitive argument. Even though everyone has their own definitions (some more nebulous than others), in a large enough group of players, you start seeing a consensus on what "is" and "isn't" fun.

Broadly speaking, when it comes to Smogon site-wide clauses, most of the things deemed uncompetitive are either zero-sum fun (Evasion, Sleep, OHKO, etc), or encourage wasting one or more players' time with non-games (Moody, Arena Trap). Past that, you have Baton Pass, which isn't exactly a basion of healthy gameplay, and in some generations, things like Gems (same), Swagger (likewise), Dynamax (yep), and..

Well, you get the idea. Hell, in this generation, we even wound up with a more codified ND Ubers as a direct result of ND Anything Goes being so unplayable that it got completely shuttered.

Ultimately, the goal is to make a metagame that's simultaneously as fun as possible, but also as competitive as possible. Sometimes, that means broken things remain, or that annoying playstyles (e.g., Stall) aren't systematically stripped of their components. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as changes continue to iterate in the right direction, either!

Kingambit is extremely potent and imo deserves to be looked at down the line. It's actually quite easy to set up to +2 with gambit thanks to it's bulk and defensive typing and the switches it forces. The closest thing to a counter is Dondozo which only fits on stall and can still lose to Tera dark with enough allies fainted. Other than Taurous Blaze and BU tusk (still dies to tera blast fairy which is a rare set thankfully), nothing else comes in on a SD and has a guaranteed win thanks to 4 really good tera types. Yeah you can switch in an encore mon if you have it on SD but if it chooses to attack, you've taken a big hit for nothing and probably have to switch out again. Most players I've seen sack a mon to status gambit and then have to win a few 50-50s. Overall, I'd say it's a bit too easy to set up a Gambit end game and it causes way too many 50-50 situations for my liking.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-1885865158-ppkl131ebgnz1y68yqcewr60pdt14ikpw - In this game it was a no allies fainted gambit and opponent had Tusk, Zap and Hisuan Samurott which are all in theory checks gambit gets past them quite easily allowing the endgame to be quite easy

Last edited:
Fun is absolutely a competitive argument. Even though everyone has their own definitions (some more nebulous than others), in a large enough group of players, you start seeing a consensus on what "is" and "isn't" fun.

Broadly speaking, when it comes to Smogon site-wide clauses, most of the things deemed uncompetitive are either zero-sum fun (Evasion, Sleep, OHKO, etc), or encourage wasting one or more players' time with non-games (Moody, Arena Trap). Past that, you have Baton Pass, which isn't exactly a basion of healthy gameplay, and in some generations, things like Gems (same), Swagger (likewise), Dynamax (yep), and..

Well, you get the idea. Hell, in this generation, we even wound up with a more codified ND Ubers as a direct result of ND Anything Goes being so unplayable that it got completely shuttered.

Ultimately, the goal is to make a metagame that's simultaneously as fun as possible, but also as competitive as possible. Sometimes, that means broken things remain, or that annoying playstyles (e.g., Stall) aren't systematically stripped of their components. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as changes continue to iterate in the right direction, either!
Fun isn't a competitive argument.

If somethings broken, its probably not fun, but not being fun is not the reason it's broken and there's plenty of unfun things in the game that aren't broken.

I don't find landorus-t fun to see in A-S tier since gen 5 but I couldn't come up with a reason to call it broken, just boring to see.

EDIT: Also showdown is a ranked ladder, there's 4fun modes and there's serious modes, we balance around the ranked ladder not the 4fun modes. That's how any competitive game works and frankly idk many games where i'd consider playing ranked 'fun' just by default. They also get frustrating to some degree.

Last edited:
My issue with Lando is that Slowking does it better, mainly because of regenerator , the lack of recovery on a mon with that needs to come in often is kinda bad, especially when the meta is starting to get longer matches. Similar to Rotom-W the lack of recovery makes them easy to overwhelm, they can use leftovers+protect but that also opens the possibility of being used as set up fodder. The lost of defog, knock off and toxic also brings other issue, now the small or nule investment of attack is notable, with any of those moves giving Lando the chance of enter to the field felt like a huge punishment because those moves could do something useful at the long run now Lando is kinda meh since it is either going to EQ or u-turn wouldn't do much in some cases (Ursaluna is still going to take a big chunk of the incoming mon or destroy lando). Uninvested EQ doesn't do much so without knock off stuff like Garg also can take advantage of Lando.
Yeah, it still can do its thing, but like I mentioned Lando getting into the field isn't as impactful as before and even feels like a worse version of Corv or Rotom since the first has recovery and defog while Rotom can spread status, something that has more impact that the -1 attack. All depends on the match up, naturally, but I haven't feel like Lando justified being included on the rival team when I have encountered it.
Lando-T may not be a great mon to add if you only want one pivot, as you said, but it could find a place in teams with 2 or more pivots (Personally, I use the term VoltTurn for offense teams) as intimidate becomes very powerful. If the mon switched out to clear out the attack debuffs, you can U-Turn out and bring a threat. For example, take a look at the :rotom-wash: :landorus-therian: core. Washtom can switch into ice and water attacks directed at landorus and volt switch out, procing another debuff. Yea sure it gets crippled by passive damage, but GameFreak made sure it no longer fills like 15 roles on a single team and now has its strengths and weaknesses.

Choice Band Lando has been putting in work for me. It's natural bulk isn't terrible even with minimal investment, and it makes those U-Turns hit do much harder. Banded EQ is no joke, and since you only really need one coverage move (Stone Edge, or Fly if you're silly like me), you can still fit Rocks or Taunt in if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)