Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v2 [Update on Post #5186]

Status
Not open for further replies.
The idea is there and the execution not so much

1) Broken AF pls ban
:sv/magearna: :sv/ursaluna:: :sv/zamazenta: :sv/sneasler: :sv/Zamazenta-Crowned:

2) Wait and see what happen after group 1 get banned
:sv/urshifu rapid strike: :sv/volcarona: :cheem-pao:and Light Clay < Lol Light Clay
:sv/magearna: :sv/ursaluna:: :sv/sneasler: :sv/Zamazenta-Crowned: :cheem-pao:

:sv/urshifu rapid strike: :sv/volcarona: :sv/zamazenta: and Light Clay < Lol Light Clay
ftfy :D

seriously though. chien pao being anywhere but "broken AF" directly angers me i hate this mon balance aside i want it out of this tier it legitimately might be the most unfun thing i've played against and this is with eleki being in the tier for a bit.

Fury Cutter is bp 40
With terrastalisation, moves under 60bp up to 60bp (except for multi-hit and priority moves)
Said moves also do not get the same boost to 60 BP if something like Technician boosts that power. So since Fury Cutter is a Slicing move, it doesn’t get that boost.
It would also just be fucking awful, even if it did get 60 BP and then got the Sharpness bonus and every other hit added 60 BP (which it doesn’t and adds 40 BP too). Fury Cutter only starts doing good damage after using it a few times, which by then your opponent has already switched in many different Bug resists, namely Gholdango or Magearna, both of which destroy Kleavor.
The idea is there and the execution not so much

1) Broken AF pls ban
:sv/magearna: :sv/ursaluna:: :sv/zamazenta: :sv/sneasler: :sv/Zamazenta-Crowned:

:sv/urshifu rapid strike: :sv/volcarona: :cheem-pao:and Light Clay < Lol Light Clay
Swap Chien-Pao and Ursaluna and this is a better take. Only roadblock for Chien-Pao that wasn’t present when it was first banned are Magearna, Zama, and Urshifu-R. So what’s gonna happen when said roadblocks are gone?

Alright guys, so there's alot of broken stuff in this meta that needs to go. I'll break down my thoughts here.

Quickban Candidates:
:magearna: I think this is the most broken thing in the tier. Magearna basically does the same shit it did in gen 8, while receiving an upgrade from tera. Because of tera and its massive move pool, Magearna has even more good sets than before, and you have to guess what might counter it. If you guess wrong, you usually get swept.

:chien-pao: Still busted. Banded chien pao comes in and blows massive holes in teams and is basically unwallable. The few things it doesn't 2hko still take about a third of their health. It has no switch ins and it has priority for the few things that outspeed it. I really like running tera fighting chien pao, which gives it STAB sacred sword and reduces its vulnerability to stealth rock.

:zamazenta-crowned: First of all, the doggo has no business being this fast. Why gf would give a defensive themed legendary base 128 speed is beyond me. One of the main reasons why people believed zama would be ok in gen 8 ou is because it lacked a good set up move. Now it has Body Press with Iron Defense, which makes it a very good set up sweeper. It's just too fast and Bulky to be manageable in this tier.

On the Radar/Suspect Test:
:ursaluna: Insane damage output, STAB facade hits crazy hard, and it has a ton of coverage. The issue is that it's pretty easy to take advantage of its low speed. Alot of people are comparing ursaluna to melm, but melm had more bulk as well as a better defensive typing, and I feel that ursaluna is easier to wear down, especially when factoring in burn chip. It is virtually unstoppable in trick room though, and it and magearna are singlehandedly carrying that playstyle.

:sneasler: Dire Claw is an uncompetitive move, not just because of sleep, but also the fact that it is a bp80 move with a 50% chance of inflicting status conditions. I find it to be way too rng based to be ok for the tier. Sneasler is able to make good use of it, with STAB cc allowing it to kill the steel types that block Dire Claw. I think this is a case of the Pokemon's attributes elevating the brokenness of the move and vise versa.

:zamazenta: I haven't seen zama-h that much on the ladder but I think it's still pretty good. Idk about broken though. The ability to run an item is nice, but it lacks the bulk that makes zama-c's body press set so powerful. Also, there's a bug where team preview shows zama-h, regardless of which form you're running. It's not a huge deal, just thought it was worth mentioning. I'll probably have to see/use zama-h more to determine if it is broken, but right now it seems outclassed by zama-c

I'm curious
I wonder why no one is talking about the "gimmick" of Fury Cutter Kleavor ? :kleavor:

Fury Cutter is bp 40
With terrastalisation, moves under 60bp up to 60bp (except for multi-hit and priority moves)
With terrastalisation type bug, fury cutter 60bp up to double-stabb 120
With sharpness 120bp up to 180 wich is equal to a stabb close combat ...
Then the second move is nearly doubled (no more up to 60 because base became 80, but 160 with tera then 240 with sharpness)
Then the third ...

This pokemon is particuliar ..... :psynervous:
See, the thing is that the 60 BP move buff and sharpness don't stack, so it wouldn't become 180 BP, just stay 120. I don't think moves with variable BP get buffed either, though it doesn't matter in this case because of sharpness.

I am a fury Cutter enjoyer myself, but you don't even need to try to include a 4x resist to the move since Magearna, gholdengo, Tusk, and valiant are pretty common lol.

On another note, I haven't used Tusk too much yet over Lando, but idk if Lando-T dethroned it. Because Lando-T has no Knock Off / Defog, Tusk packs a unique niche as the tiers main spinner. A lot of teams want its spin so Hazards aren't as overwhelming.

Ironically, Lando's main benefit over Tusk is that it is immune to Spikes which makes it better vs Hazatds standalone despite not packing hazard removal.

The Lando-T vs Tusk debate is a pretty interesting dynamic I think. Because of movepool cuts, I think each has a distinct niche which is cool to see.

Last edited:
See, the thing is that the 60 BP move buff and Tera don't stack, so it wouldn't become 180 BP, just stay 120. I don't think moves with variable BP get buffed either, though it doesn't matter in this case because of sharpness.

I am a fury Cutter enjoyer myself, but you don't even need to try to include a 4x resist to the move since Magearna, gholdengo, Tusk, and valiant are pretty common lol.

On another note, I haven't used Tusk too much yet over Lando, but idk if Lando-T dethroned it. Because Lando-T has no Knock Off / Defog, Tusk packs a unique niche as the tiers main spinner. A lot of teams want its spin so Hazards aren't as overwhelming.

Ironically, Lando's main benefit over Tusk is that it is immune to Spikes which makes it better vs Hazatds standalone despite not packing hazard removal.

The Lando-T vs Tusk debate is a pretty interesting dynamic I think. Because of movepool cuts, I think each has a distinct niche which is cool to see.
The meta rn is too fast paced so hazard removal is optional, but once it slow down I can see Tusk gaining more use again because it is still the best spin user.
About Lando, what I have seen is that is kinda lost without knock off/toxic and doesn't find a good move to replace them, SD is kinda bad because he wants to U-turn 9/10 times after using rocks and is too slow for this meta to do much with it. Intimidate+Uturn is nice but I'm still not sold about Lando being still a top mon with all the good ground mons in the tier rn.

The meta rn is too fast paced so hazard removal is optional, but once it slow down I can see Tusk gaining more use again because it is still the best spin user.
About Lando, what I have seen is that is kinda lost without knock off/toxic and doesn't find a good move to replace them, SD is kinda bad because he wants to U-turn 9/10 times after using rocks and is too slow for this meta to do much with it. Intimidate+Uturn is nice but I'm still not sold about Lando being still a top mon with all the good ground mons in the tier rn.
Next best thing for toxic and knock off seems to be taunt I've found, but ye the downgrade is notable.

Yeah. So far I've been using Protect in the last Slot, and Taunt is also not a bad option to stop opposing mons from using Spikes / Stealth Rock (really good vs other Lando) but an issue now is that lando cannot make any progress vs Flying-types with general utility moves. Against mons like Zapdos, Lando could really limit it last gen by Knocking Off its Heavy Duty Boots or Poisoning it. Now, Zapdos and friends can come in for free mostly. You have to rely on crappy Stone Edge / Rock Slide to make progress, which isn't guarenteed to work. Tera Flying mons like Kingambit can also be annoying, though Taunt + Rocky Helmet + Intimidate on Lando-T does still arguably make that MU in Lando's favor even if Kingambit goes Tera Flying. I haven't seen any Kingambit swap out Supreme overlord for Defiant yet, so when that adaptation eventually does happen, the MU will change I think.

I saw some other guy running Smack Down, so maybe that's the secret sauce that Lando needs vs Flyers.

tera notwithstanding (deffo needs to go asap):

qb: :magearna::chien pao::zamazenta-crowned::sneasler:(dire claw is inextricable from sneasler, not only because it is the only user of the move, but also because the other traits of sneasler, such as it’s secondary stab, speed, and power all contribute to the uncompetitiveness. it’s the whole thing.)

suspect (after some stabilisation): :zamazenta:, spikes

no action: :ursaluna::light clay::volcarona:

Yeah. So far I've been using Protect in the last Slot, and Taunt is also not a bad option to stop opposing mons from using Spikes / Stealth Rock (really good vs other Lando) but an issue now is that lando cannot make any progress vs Flying-types with general utility moves. Against mons like Zapdos, Lando could really limit it last gen by Knocking Off its Heavy Duty Boots or Poisoning it. Now, Zapdos and friends can come in for free mostly. You have to rely on crappy Stone Edge / Rock Slide to make progress, which isn't guarenteed to work. Tera Flying mons like Kingambit can also be annoying, though Taunt + Rocky Helmet + Intimidate on Lando-T does still arguably make that MU in Lando's favor even if Kingambit goes Tera Flying. I haven't seen any Kingambit swap out Supreme overlord for Defiant yet, so when that adaptation eventually does happen, the MU will change I think.

I saw some other guy running Smack Down, so maybe that's the secret sauce that Lando needs vs Flyers.
I remember Smack Down Lando being a thing in the past but it struggled hard with 4MSS. Maybe without Knock it could have a place on SD sets (after some bans and the meta's had time to cool).

tera notwithstanding (deffo needs to go asap):

qb: :magearna::chien pao::zamazenta-crowned::sneasler:(dire claw is inextricable from sneasler, not only because it is the only user of the move, but also because the other traits of sneasler, such as it’s secondary stab, speed, and power all contribute to the uncompetitiveness. it’s the whole thing.)

suspect (after some stabilisation): :zamazenta:, spikes

no action: :ursaluna::light clay::volcarona:
everything exactly as what been on my mind, except Spikes suspect lol

Has anyone seen this cat? View attachment 522588
what happened? Chien Pao? H-Samurott? Hate to see my fur baby drop off the face of PokeEarth
Chien-Pao is the main cultprit, though Samurott-H is also big competition.

Meowscarada's niche steams from Spikes and attacking with strong Dark Moves. Samurott-H can do both in one turn. The new Home additions do it no favor either, since its stabs are mostly resisted by all of them.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
I voted ban on Magearna, Chien-Pao, Sneasler, Zamazenta, and Zamazenta-Crowned.

:Magearna: seems pretty clear throughout the community. It was the most straightforward to me as well. The boosting sets are really out of control and able to dictate their own counterplay; Stored Power sets are the most consistent, but even Shift Gear + 3A is awesome, in my opinion. Specs isn’t as good as last generation, but still noteworthy. Utility will be missed as it provides good resists and Spikes, but we can’t just go around salvaging fragments.

:Chien-Pao: is up to its old shenanigans, and arguably just as good as when it got banned. Many thought that some new drops like the aforementioned Magearna and the Zamazenta brigade would make matters harder for Chien-Pao, but they just varied the set mix a tad to incorporate SD + Tera Blast. Regardless of that, the classic Band and Tera Dark LO sets go to town still. It has limited counterplay beyond comfort for me, so I wanted to get rid of it.

:Sneasler: is not as broken as the others, but Dire Claw is ridiculous and makes any ordinary switch to a check or counter a big risk all of a sudden. I don’t see much of a place for this in the game, so I voted ban.

:Zamazenta: and :Zamazenta-Crowned: were close, but I find the addition of Body Press to make them overbearing. They’re almost like really good cheese in a sense that some things can shut them down, but they’re too limited and specific to bulkier archetypes, which we don’t see as much. Shutting them down is hard otherwise and they’re so bulky and fast that makes it really easy to use them.

:Urshifu: was a close call by me, but I think it’s harder to fit onto teams and could use another week. I may revisit my vote next week!

:Ursaluna: is awesome and very hard to counter. I’m not sold on it being broken without a ton of support, and Magearna being banned takes away its best Trick Room teammate. I voted no ban because of this, but I’m very open to voting ban next time if it remains potent.

Does anyone else think that Tera Blast (the move) might need to go? The earlier tera suspect seemed to skim over the fact that gen 9 gave every mon an 80bp stab move of any type they want because not many mons ran it. In the home meta there's been a couple that abuse tera blast. Most notably, the move made refineries instantly broken by giving it ice coverage. I just had a battle where volcarona (which is on the tiering radar) one shotted my heatran (which is otherwise a hard counter) with ground tera blast. It makes me wonder if giving every mon good coverage can destabilize a meta based around checks and counters.

I voted ban on Magearna, Chien-Pao, Sneasler, Zamazenta, and Zamazenta-Crowned.

:Magearna: seems pretty clear throughout the community. It was the most straightforward to me as well. The boosting sets are really out of control and able to dictate their own counterplay; Stored Power sets are the most consistent, but even Shift Gear + 3A is awesome, in my opinion. Specs isn’t as good as last generation, but still noteworthy. Utility will be missed as it provides good resists and Spikes, but we can’t just go around salvaging fragments.

:Chien-Pao: is up to its old shenanigans, and arguably just as good as when it got banned. Many thought that some new drops like the aforementioned Magearna and the Zamazenta brigade would make matters harder for Chien-Pao, but they just varied the set mix a tad to incorporate SD + Tera Blast. Regardless of that, the classic Band and Tera Dark LO sets go to town still. It has limited counterplay beyond comfort for me, so I wanted to get rid of it.

:Sneasler: is not as broken as the others, but Dire Claw is ridiculous and makes any ordinary switch to a check or counter a big risk all of a sudden. I don’t see much of a place for this in the game, so I voted ban.

:Zamazenta: and :Zamazenta-Crowned: were close, but I find the addition of Body Press to make them overbearing. They’re almost like really good cheese in a sense that some things can shut them down, but they’re too limited and specific to bulkier archetypes, which we don’t see as much. Shutting them down is hard otherwise and they’re so bulky and fast that makes it really easy to use them.

:Urshifu: was a close call by me, but I think it’s harder to fit onto teams and could use another week. I may revisit my vote next week!

:Ursaluna: is awesome and very hard to counter. I’m not sold on it being broken without a ton of support, and Magearna being banned takes away its best Trick Room teammate. I voted no ban because of this, but I’m very open to voting ban next time if it remains potent.
out of curiosity, which Zama-form do you think is better?

TCTphantom

formerly MX42
My gut says Zamazenta Crowned, Magearna, and Chien Pao will be banned. I could see the argument for Hero or Sneasler but I feel there are bigger fish to fry and both will probably survive the test. Hero has not gotten nearly the ire its crowned counterpart has and a Magearna and Chien Pao less meta would be a huge hit for it since it is much better in an HO meta. Sneasler is also dumb and stupid and I hate it but it’s not nearly as much of a problem rn even if it’s tilting. I’d a

The only thing on the radar I would actually be a bit mad if it got hit now is Ursaluna. Magearna is an insane teammate and helps make TR function, where it’s at its best. I feel it is not the broken element of TR: a setter as consistent as Magearna is. I feel like it is not the broken element rn and should be looked at outside of the current metagame.

I could easily see Volcarona and Urshifu being problems but honestly I haven’t had as much time to experience them. They just have not been as common to me. They also imo are not nearly as pressing an issue rn. Think Dragonite on the third radar tier issue.

Also light clay I have no strong opinions on. Screens are dumb and whatever, but honestly like Luna they are a symptom and not the cause. If screens keep popping up maybe we can have a conversation, especially if Alolan Ninetales causes issues when it comes back.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
The results of the council vote will be publicized tomorrow morning!
Thanks for the transparency Finch, looking forward to the council's vote.

My expectation is: Magearna QB, Zama C QB. I don't know if I'm sure anything else will for sure get QB but those 2 I'm banking on it.

> switched in on full hazards
> survives stab earth power from fully invested 135 SpA
> survives STAB close combat from fully invested 130 Atk due to the Tera type
> disrespectful KO with stored power (40BP) just to flex that they could
> disrespectfully still in OU just to show that it can

IMG_5229.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)