Project SV NU Player of the Week* (POTW) Interviews- Week 3 - Shengineer

Aawin

whole lotta vibes in the city
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributor
post adapted from GW’s project from last generation, edits by me where applicable

SV NU POTW INTERVIEWS
WELCOME to this generations rendition of a fan-favorite NU project! In this prestigious Forum Project, I will interview a variety of NU players- new users who are up and coming within the NU scene, and those who have left a large impact and cemented a legacy within the NU tier.

Each week, participants will be able to ask the interviewee questions in the thread, and those questions will be answered by the interviewee.

In line with the setup from SS POTW, these interviews will not be done in a similar way to POTW interviews where you see people write long essays out. Instead, I will be hopping in a Discord call with the Interviewee of the week and we will be chopping it up, discussing the questions you ask, and any other topic of conversation that comes up! These interviews will be uploaded to my YouTube channel, which is linked here

If you want to add suggestions for who I should interview next, you are able to place them in the thread (place your suggestion within hidetags) with your questions for the current Interviewee. The players will try to answer as many questions as they can in the thread afterwards to include everyone who asks!

Aawin

Alright, it is time to announce the FIRST POTW interview of generation 9…… The interviewee is……

KIYO
Known for:
NU Council member likely to vote DNB on your least favorite Pokemon
One of the longest tenured council members across multiple generations, serving off and on since 2015
NeverUsed Tier Leader (TL) during ORAS and SM when they were current gen
Winner of the first ORAS NU Individual tournament
Played in SPL 7, posting a 3-2 record
Starting in this rendition of NUCL, proving he can still hang with the best of the best and is a fan of generation 9 NU due to its similar building styles as ORAS

The interview with Kiyo will be held on Friday, January 5th, and will be uploaded to my YouTube channel over the weekend! Any and all questions should be posted below this post, we'll be answering all questions, keep them appropriate and concise is all I ask!

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
  1. how do you feel about the oras nu meta in 2024 and what are some of your favorite recent innovations in it that you've seen (either from yourself or others)
  2. do you think there's a difference between the oras generation of nu players and current-gen players, what are those differences and why do you think they exist
  3. what do you think the main reason for SS NU's poor reception amongst the community is and would any bans solve the issue, or is it a fundamental issue with the gen itself
  4. what's changed about you as a player and builder over the years? do you think the dynamic nature of terrastalisation is part of why you've been able to enjoy and connect with SV NU more than some other recent gens?
  5. would you consider making an scl comeback in 2024? i think you have all the tools to do really well in this gen on a more competitive level and would love to see u back in the ring
  6. who are ur top 5 favorite nu players of all time to watch and why (not necessarily the best, just ppl you enjoy watching or can draw inspiration from)

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
1. if you were to offer any advice to a person getting into competitive mons (higher level area like tours etc), what would it be?
2. an observation of mine lately has been players disregarding offensive counterplay to pokemon when discussing whether they're op or not. do you agree with this take, and why do you feel the way you do?
3. is there a submeta of oras that you remember fondly? which one, and why?
4. what teambuilding fundamental do you think people should hammer into their head the most if they want to generally improve at that facet of comp mons?

1. Favorite genre of music and favorite artist
2. Any hobbies outside mons?
3. Favorite games other than mons
4. Who’s winning the NBA, NFL, Stanley Cup (choose wisely, money may be on the line)

Last edited:

Aawin

In case you didn't see it already, here is the link to the interview with Kiyo! Big thanks to him for coming onto this installment of the POTW interviews!

With week 1 done, our interviewee for week 2 is..........

POKESLICE
Known for:
Undefeated in SCL
Greatest SS NU Suspect slot player of all time
0-2 in NUCL
Runner-up in NU Seasonal
Known as the coolest member of the NU community (self-proclaimed)
Member of NU Council and former BDSP NU tier leader
Uxie spammer
The interview date is Wednesday, January 17th (tentatively) or Friday, January 19th. As always, the interview will be uploaded to my YouTube channel over the weekend! All questions should be posted below this, and we'll be answering all questions. Keep them appropriate and concise is all I ask!

Last edited:

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1. What Pokemon is it that you're slicing?
2. If you could bring down one OU Pokemon to NU to balance the tier, which would you choose?
3. If a Smogon user invited you to their wedding, would you go?
4. SS or SV?
5. What is your most controversial NU related opinion?

Lilo

formerly Test Techles
is a Tiering Contributor
Finished hearing kiyo’s interview rn, solid stuff all around.
So for Slice:

1. Things u prefer in Europe compared to America.
2. What accomplishment you feel is missing in your pokemon résumé?
3. Pancakes or Waffles?
4. Who do u think will be the best nu player in this year circuit?

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1. What changes would you make to the current tiering system, if any?
2. How much of an impact do you think the community/council’s approach to tiering during SS has to do with the current state of the tier?
SS NUBL has 18 pokemon. One point of criticism I had throughout the generation is that in pursuit of a stable metagame we banned all the potential offensive counterplay to new threats and never really got to see how they all interacted with each other.
3. Do you think the approach we’ve taken in generation 9 with frequent nubl unbans is better or worse for the state of the tier?
4. Which of the teams you’ve built is your favorite?
5. Do you have a specific play or set/series that you’re particularly proud of?
6. How do you practice/prepare for games? 7. How & how often do you review your games?

Last edited:
1. How did the young Slice get his start in competitive mons? When (if you did play them) did you decide that playing the cartridge games wasn't enough and you wanted to pursue the game more heavily?

2. Lets say you've got a big game coming up some time later today- whats your prematch ritual? Do you need to psych yourself up? Get rid of prematch jitters?

3. What competitive advice do you wish you heard/received earlier?

4. Current meta question- What pokemon are people NOT spamming enough rn?

5. Favorite 2-3 mon core? Can be any meta/any gen/offensive or defensive

6. Favorite way to consume a potato

1.) Do you own any Tatsugiri plushes (preferably with cool shades)?

2.) For a newer player that wants to try and build their own teams and not use samples, what kind of archtype would you recommend they do?

3.) piggybacking off of Machineae's question about who isn't being spammed enough, which pokemon do you think people are way overrating currently?

4.) was NU the first tier you played when you started Comp. Pokemon?

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
1. We often talk about more bans in SS NU (Scrafty, Vileplume, Silvally-Ground all come to mind) being justifiable. What would you UNBAN if you could to help add counterplay to certain problematic threats and why?
2. Do you enjoy how the DLC model impacts metagames? Do you like getting to see "different eras" so to speak of any given tier?
3. What former NU Pokemon (from any generation) would you like to have in current NU?

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
1. How did you feel about your experience this past SCL as support for Freezai and would you like the opportunity to be a starting slot next SCL?
2. Can you tell us a bit about why you voted the way you did in the recent council slate? Do you think your opinion on any of the mons you voted to ban could change in the near future?
3. How do you think we can make it more appealing for people to explore older generations of the tier and raise their activity outside of NU Classic / Teamtours, and is it a worthwhile investment as opposed to focusing predominantly on current gen?
4. Favorite NU related meme / iconic moment?

Aawin

Okay so I unintentionally dipped out on the project for about a month (school and IRL kicked my ass), but in case you haven't seen the Pokeslice interview, it can be found HERE

With the Pokeslice interview done, our next interviewee is...................

SHENGINEER
Known for:
Up-and-coming player in the NU tier
NU Room Voice (+)
Played a lot of OU in Gen 6 and start of Gen 9, switched to NU cause he saw like one Freezai video
First pick of the NUCL draft, with a perfect record in tournament games thus far
Frequent passer-of-teams for those who did not prepare
The voice of the people
PhD Student in Mechanical Engineering at Duke
Masters top laner in LoL, also plays in Collegiate League

The interview date is Wednesday, February 21st! As always, the interview will be uploaded to my YouTube channel over the weekend! All questions should be posted below this, and we'll be answering all questions. Keep them appropriate and concise is all I ask

Kiyo

the cowboy kid
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
1. Favorite pokemon?
2. What areas if the metagame do you think are underexplored right now? Is there anything you think ppl should be using more that they aren’t currently?
3. Is glowbro broken? What about inteleon?
4. Do you have a structured approach to teambuilding or do things just sort of happen?
5. Explain like I’m 5 what your phd research is about/what the applications are?
6. Favorite piece of league lore?

Dr. Phd. BJ

aphasia
is a defending SCL Champion
OMPL Champion
what was your biggest takeaway from nucl?
in british columbia, you cannot take a picture of a man with a wooden stick. why is that?
favorite tv show?
are you double-jointed?
do you believe in horoscopes?

Lucario

A side must always be chosen
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
1. As usual, I shall ask: Which Pokemon from OU (or UU) you would like to bring down to NU?

2. What Pokemon are you looking forward to most in the March shifts?

3. "Shengineer" relates to the word "engineer", engineers design things like structures. What is your favorite structure in current svnu? What about a favorite core?

4. When building teams, do you tend to gear them towards being usable/viable, fun, or chaotic?

Aawin

Interview will happen sometime tomorrow, I felt like absolute dogshit today as did Shengin so we’re postponing a day, locking thread in the meantime so that way I can set up a format for interview

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)