Metagame SV Monotype Metagame Discussion [Teal Mask]

Status
Not open for further replies.
:sv/Zekrom:

Free my boy, Bax is better than him (EDIT: I forgot Teravolt lets you bypass Unaware)
For sure not gonna be unbanned, but just imagining this thing with Shed Tail Support...

:sv/Necrozma-Dawn-Wings:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM??? Could maybe be tried, it's strong and bulky for sure but the Speed tier and defensive typing are both horrible. Possibly too much with Trick Room I guess
I feel like it'll be a bit insane in practice. This thing is a top tier defensive mon in Ubers, and types that don't carry ghost and dark types won't be able to break. Even if you have a coverage move you're doing like 60% max if it's non stab, and that's not counting the fact this will be spreading burns, has reliable recovery, and ice beam coverage.

252+ Atk Sneasler Night Slash vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 158-186 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 216-256 (47.7 - 56.6%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Shadow Ball vs. 148 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 234-276 (51.7 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 164-194 (36.2 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Crunch vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 230-272 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

We don't know in practice how it'll actually turn out, and what sets would be used/changed for the metagame, but I don't see how this would not be pretty unbreakable for types like ground, fighting, and flying. Flying's main toxic abuser - gliscor - gets an ohko roll from 0 spa ice beam. If it turns out to be a more offensive lunala set - like Meteor Beam/roost/ice beam/moongeist beam for example, flying doesn't have much to respond with there either. Since it is monotype, the calm mind set would probs be used for something and roll a few types.

You also forgot TRAPINCH :Trapinch:, monotype's hero. Able to trap and OHKO prominent threats to mono ground such as Ogerpon-Wellspring, Chien Pao, Meowscarada, Greninja (though protean makes this a maybe), Samurott-Hisui, and Hoopa U. Be prepared to type variants of the name such as Tr@pinch or Trap!nch or something along those lines, the anti-Trapinch lobbying groups (maroon) will be sure to lock down the Trapinch discussion from discord and VR.

I'd imagine Suicune :Suicune: also does well, though it may be more of a post Waterpon/Firepon meta (let's ban those two this time round plz). Grass will likely appreciate the return of Whimsicott:Whimsicott: as well, helping with the dragon and dark mus though I imagine the strong Ice Mons on those types will still be incredibly difficult to get past. Reuniclus:Reuniclus: always sees usage as a matchup mon, though Psy's structure will be questionable if Lati's don't get defog. Galvantula :Galvantula: is back as a reliable sticky webber, + electric coverage for bug. Lastly, Incineroar :Incineroar: may see usage on Fire as a pivot with Knock Off + Parting Shot + Taunt support, I doubt it'll have toxic though which may be a bit of a changer for it.

Only other thing worth mentioning are the rumors of a Dipplin evo. I doubt it'd be a mainstay on either Grass/Dragon, but depending on stats, moves, and ability, there could be small niches it carves out for itself.

TheRealBigC

I COULD BE BANNED!
For sure not gonna be unbanned, but just imagining this thing with Shed Tail Support...

I feel like it'll be a bit insane in practice. This thing is a top tier defensive mon in Ubers, and types that don't carry ghost and dark types won't be able to break. Even if you have a coverage move you're doing like 60% max if it's non stab, and that's not counting the fact this will be spreading burns, has reliable recovery, and ice beam coverage.

252+ Atk Sneasler Night Slash vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 158-186 (34.9 - 41.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk Scizor Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 216-256 (47.7 - 56.6%) -- 87.5% chance to 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Iron Valiant Shadow Ball vs. 148 HP / 0 SpD Shadow Shield Lunala: 234-276 (51.7 - 61%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
0 Atk Great Tusk Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 164-194 (36.2 - 42.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Zamazenta Crunch vs. 148 HP / 160 Def Shadow Shield Lunala: 230-272 (50.8 - 60.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

We don't know in practice how it'll actually turn out, and what sets would be used/changed for the metagame, but I don't see how this would not be pretty unbreakable for types like ground, fighting, and flying. Flying's main toxic abuser - gliscor - gets an ohko roll from 0 spa ice beam. If it turns out to be a more offensive lunala set - like Meteor Beam/roost/ice beam/moongeist beam for example, flying doesn't have much to respond with there either. Since it is monotype, the calm mind set would probs be used for something and roll a few types.

You also forgot TRAPINCH :Trapinch:, monotype's hero. Able to trap and OHKO prominent threats to mono ground such as Ogerpon-Wellspring, Chien Pao, Meowscarada, Greninja (though protean makes this a maybe), Samurott-Hisui, and Hoopa U. Be prepared to type variants of the name such as Tr@pinch or Trap!nch or something along those lines, the anti-Trapinch lobbying groups (maroon) will be sure to lock down the Trapinch discussion from discord and VR.

I'd imagine Suicune :Suicune: also does well, though it may be more of a post Waterpon/Firepon meta (let's ban those two this time round plz). Grass will likely appreciate the return of Whimsicott:Whimsicott: as well, helping with the dragon and dark mus though I imagine the strong Ice Mons on those types will still be incredibly difficult to get past. Reuniclus:Reuniclus: always sees usage as a matchup mon, though Psy's structure will be questionable if Lati's don't get defog. Galvantula :Galvantula: is back as a reliable sticky webber, + electric coverage for bug. Lastly, Incineroar :Incineroar: may see usage on Fire as a pivot with Knock Off + Parting Shot + Taunt support, I doubt it'll have toxic though which may be a bit of a changer for it.

Only other thing worth mentioning are the rumors of a Dipplin evo. I doubt it'd be a mainstay on either Grass/Dragon, but depending on stats, moves, and ability, there could be small niches it carves out for itself.
That's Necrozma-DW, not Lunala. Lunala is for sure busted as you pointed out due to Shadow Shield. I am not serious about unbanning Zekrom btw :psynervous:

Hello, washed boomer takes below:
:Skarmory: Skarm coming back will be huge for steel. In combination with :Gholdengo: not only is Bulky spike stack extremely viable, but Hyper offense suicide lead as well. This makes steel less of a 1 trick pony playstyle and gives it alot better match ups.
Here's the 6 I'd probably make once it drops:
:Skarmory: :heatran: :Gholdengo: :kingambit: :Iron treads: :scizor:

:Swampert: Waters staple is back, making iron hands electric less annoying, and also making rain kinds viable again with rocks+flip turn.(no momentum drain) Here's the 6 I'd probably use once it drops:
:pelipper: :Barraskewda: :swampert: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :greninja: :ogerpon-wellspring:

I encourage more posting :heart:

:Trapinch: :Iron-Treads: :Clodsire: :Quagsire: :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: :Mamoswine:
Bit hard to fit on ground so might need to change something for Great Tusk/Lando/Glisc, but here's a first look at our Trapinch future.
Arena Trap is legal in Monotype? Neat. Still you are stuck using Trapinch…

Psychic seems to be getting better. It’s getting Expanding Force back, Metagross, Iron Crown, paradox Terrakion (not confirmed but I’m 99% certain it’s Rock/Psychic) and maybe Tapu Lele too.

Dead by Daylight

are we the last living souls
is a Contributor to Smogon
:Trapinch: :Iron-Treads: :Clodsire: :Quagsire: :Ursaluna-Bloodmoon: :Mamoswine:
Bit hard to fit on ground so might need to change something for Great Tusk/Lando/Glisc, but here's a first look at our Trapinch future.
Keep this secret. The Monotype council is watching.

Skarmory is a huge buff for Steel - no need to run Orthworm now, and you can compress Corv and Orth into one slot. Gholdengo being available also means that those hazards are realistically almost never going to able to removed, meaning that Steel's offensive threats become way more threatening. I could see Steel get a massive boost in usage.

Arena Trap is legal in Monotype? Neat. Still you are stuck using Trapinch…
How else do you beat Waterpon

Psychic seems to be getting better. It’s getting Expanding Force back, Metagross, Iron Crown, paradox Terrakion (not confirmed but I’m 99% certain it’s Rock/Psychic) and maybe Tapu Lele too.
Fully confident we don't get the tapus back, every leak says otherwise so far not to mention I thought we were told the returning legends for DLC2 already.
That being said Psy really wants Lati to get Defog. The lack of Victini is also a sore spot for the team. Also even post DLC2 Psy is missing a mon in the last slot to really bring it all together. For a comparison if you add Lati and replace the last slot from Psy with Mega Lade you end up with Slowbro/Rachi/Lati/Hoopa U/Hatterene/MGallade, which feels like a team with actual synergy as opposed to the flailing 6th slot (5th+6th for current without Lati) we have now instead.

Still, when I think of comps for DLC2 it looks like we'll get pretty close to something. New Cobalion paradox/:Slowbro:/:Hatterene:/:latios:/:hoopa-Unbound:/:Slowking-Galar: or :Slowbro:/:Hatterene:/:Latios:/:Hoopa-Unbound:/:Jirachi:/Potential Terrak Paradox as two examples. I imagine the Terrak team would at least have better matchups if we do get that but either way I don't see how Psy can really address the dark mu, and no matter how you dice it, it's difficult to have freedom with the slots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)