Survivor SURVIVOR: ORRE (won by BLUEDOOM)

I idol'd marth because I thought it was more likely he was taking votes based on what I had heard and I wanted him in since he was my closest ally. In situations like that I've kind of developed the mindset that if I guess wrong and go out, shit happens, and didn't think about it too much beyond that. DLE had told me to idol myself but I ignored him

The throwaway vote was feelsgoodman. Throwing it on snype was a consideration but he was already so paranoid and I wanted to possibly work with him at f6 so I didn't vote him. Voting heury just sounded funny though.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Rereading f6, this is when me and Marth began talking and looking back at it: what I reasonably expected would happen: at the vote of even #s: there was a clear power struggle with UTO and pyrites here. UTO played a very strong social game and it's commendable how dominating his game was and how straightforward with his intentions he was in this game. I think the reason he lost is he overplayed how well he could play so early in the game, granted he had to fend off a shubaka that was wary of him since premerge, but UTO's display got to a very troublesome problem to a 1st world survivor problem: he needs to constantly be immune b/c either: he failed to convince people why they should be taken to FTC, and highlight their confidence in beating him or he failed to play so extremely well that he is never a practical enough vote consideration and has his pick of the litter in allies.

Marth probably lied at f6 but also told me of a vote pact between UTO, heury, and DLE. I would never expect DLE to follow through but the thought of an extra guaranteed vote of UTO and Heury for each other means both have to go home for me to have a shot especially with DLE working closely to them and DLE/Heury is unlikely to take me to FTC as their 3rd. On the revote, I saw no out for me if I vote paper over UTO. DLE/Heury/UTO just is too good of a majority at 5 and comfortable with each other and Marth felt like a better chance of actually working with someone. The timing also felt right for the intended way to make my shot for FTC. I think if Marth didn't reach out to me, this ftc would never have happened but I wanted to keep it quiet because I needed a phenac gone at 5 and the less phenacs that knew that Marth and I were allied, the less stressful it would be for me in the vote but I'll get to it at f5.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
I probably wasn't changing my vote but I might have been able to spend more time convincing paperblade to idol himself instead of marth. My reasoning at the time was very close to "just trust me; brb I'm getting drunk with apricity"

there was more reason to this than that from both my and paper's perspectives but it worked out much better in paper's favor playing things the way he did.

Next challenge was another simple one, playing tetris on tetris n-blox and trying to get the highest score. Simple flash game (throwback to my highschool calculus class where i played a lot), not a lot to say. The scores were as follows:
snype19362
paperblade45320
bluedoom9504
dle2873
heury51860

So heury won his first immunity.

Not really sure what to say about this vote, maybe DLE/Paper/Snype can chime in on anything interesting but I think DLE was always on the outs here and reliant on his relationship with Paper to try and save him. People identified him as probably the biggest threat remaining in the game (which I think was probably correct) and he didn't really have the social capital to get a vote off him. I think this is where someone like UTO would've been good to have around because he would've been the most likely to side with him here but yeah. Vote was unanimous while DLE voted snype.

DLE - 5th
DLE got off to a pretty rocky start this game but recovered well and did a good job of putting himself in a position to win. The latter isn't so much as surprising as the former as anyone who knows the guy would know that he's really good at every aspect of survivor. It's crazy that he was picked second-last and that he could've gone out on the first phenac vote (probably saved by being a "big name".) But I thought he recovered v well after that, with a particular highlight being his alliance with UTO. He ended up drifting more towards working with snype and shub at the merge and that didn't especially work out for him but you could point to the double vote advantage as being a factor in things not working out. By this point in the game, I think snype just had a stronger bond with the pyrites and he was just too visible as a threat. Maybe not working/talking to heury a lot hurt him (obviously not this vote but prior votes) too. I'm not really sure he has a lot of options at this exact vote - probably needed to have better relationships going into here.

It's been a while since I've written so hopefully I'm not repeating myself/saying debunked things but yeah I do wonder the last vote was really the turning point. I want to say DLE recognized he was in trouble here but there just wasn't a lot he could do or was busy. I think if it's UTO > paper/marth, there's a lot clearer path to the end for him although it's definitely tricky because there's a lot of guys who seem worthy and he'd probably have to bank on heury deciding to vote UTO out or an immunity run or something.

It's always a pleasure to have a legend like dle play in a game like this because he's an awesome player. Definitely not his greatest game but I'd take an average game from him any day. The fact that he was basically an underdog starting out was pretty amusing and made for a pretty decent arc lol. thx for joining since he was a very last minute add.

-

The next challenge was supposed to be an endurance challenge at first. It was going to be more along the lines of the "repeatedly post lines in discord." Me and shmegg had talked about a couple different ideas and I thought shmegg was going to come up with something but I think there was some miscommunication and nothing ended up happening. As a result I had to scramble to put something together last second and came up with something that was close to what was used in the tiebreaker in the f14 challenge. I know that historically speaking endurance challenges aren't really people's favorites so I went for something that I personally have enjoyed doing while still having an endurance aspect, that being a race to get 100 wins, could be any tier as long as it showed up on the profile's record. I think randbats is what everyone ended up doing and I'm pretty sure it's the fastest since it's a popular ladder Maybe OU woud've been good to because it's easier to find teams you just sweep pretty easily against? But yeah not limiting it to a single tier opened up some potential strategies to what's typically pretty mechanical. At least people had to think about the tier(s) they wanted to spam, to give the challenge an element of learning/adapting.

Heury ended up not completing the challenge (sry heury for so much mons :/ ). Marth took 26 hours and 23 minutes (respect for persevering), paper took 2 hours and 47 minutes and snype won with a time of 1 hour and 57 minutes.

Overall actually pleased with how much this works as an endurance challenge. I think its' fun enough because you can just spam ff's and stay low ladder but it does require you to think and play the game and be able to sit there for a long but still reasonable amount of time. Definitely a good blueprint on how to do endurance; the boring activity should be fun in some way!

I think the players in this vote fell victim to the "surprise final 2" which is amusing in some ways. I think knowing it's a final 2 heury is probably not voted out here, or at least it goes to a tiebreak (which would have been a randbat battle, idk someone tell me how you're supposed to replicate fire online). I thought snype + the pyrites had identified heury as someone who probably wouldn't win although maybe they got spooked by his potential story. I guess a better way to put this is that I think snype probably makes more of an effort to keep heury around in the hopes that he has an easier final 2? Idk I personally would just be worried about a very tight alliance of 2 that is probably taking the other, but again, without knowing or guessing a final 2 that's a difficult decision to make. At this point I think ppl had guessed it might be a final 2 but I don't think people were deadset on that being the case (jury of 8 final 3 still makes sense). I wonder what happens if snype doesn't win immunity. I'd think in that case you'd probably easily just vote him out.

HEURY - 4th
I thought heury was a spam account when he PM'd me to join or someone who wanted to play but would just dip asap. Luckily, he was neither and he was a huge joy to have in this game. I like "characters" in survivor and while that sounds demeaning, I choose to think of it as something good - it means I want interesting people, people who aren't always trying to make the best "move" but are willing to try things and make mistakes and roll with the punches. I think heury really encapsulated this spirit, especially in terms of just doing stuff and making waves. He was a real person and came off that way while still trying to do things to win the game. He had a huge disadvantage in terms of not knowing the site or any of the people or much about pokemon which was doubly not good in the context of the challenges. He took all of these negatives and managed to place 4th, which is hugely impressive. I'm not quite sure he would've won but I think he would've been very competitive against most anyone. Who can hate against the narrative he had? Definitely at least worth a listen to at the end. Alas, he came up just short, maybe only going home because of snype winning immunity.

I feel his success speaks a lot to the effort he put into this game which I respect more than anything. He was a prime mover in the first impressions vote, which is why paper got voted on that. He cultivated a strong alliance with UTO and did well to survive on the phenacs. He was a great challenge performer at most non-pokemon things. I think post-merge play was a little questionable in terms of execution, as has already been discussed. I don't mind the flipping but the way he did it could've been better and more discrete. Maybe he could've been more in tune with UTO in terms of acting like a duo (but then again differentiating isn't a bad thought because I don't think he could've beat UTO). And I think he probably wasn't as great in keeping contact with fringe players that he was working with. Cutting off completely from the phenacs like snype/dle maybe didn't work out in the end game where it might've been in his favor to get them on his side and go after the pyrites. Definitely a lot of questionably decisions/improvement areas, but all in all I thought he played an impressive game, and more importantly, an exciting one. His actions definitely kept the game flowing and he was hugely important in a lot of the big votes. Yeah, I mean I once again go back to the f6 vote as being defining for his game. If UTO doesn't go home there, I think his paths to the end are a lot clearer. Whether he wins those, I'm not sure. But it would've been really cool to see how he approached FTC and I feel like he would've got a couple votes. I'm not sure he wins too many f2 combos but I wouldn't say that for sure.

Thanks for playing. I'm glad I took a risk in including you. One of my favorite players from this season.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
F5: i reemerged at f6 since f10 and was thinking at this point: how do i maintain momentum going forward to make my case for FTC? if i don't win/play for FTC, it's a loss anyway so let's keep it going. I think I have enough big-play material that if it came down to it, I could pull and play at FTC for tiebreak consideration vs most people, but I was still thinking about how to best set myself up for a W. I also began taking each game one stage at a time and didn't think that much ahead outside of what looked like I was setting myself up for best odds of FTC. At f5, my thought process was going for my best matchup in FTC, which at the time I thought was Marth despite how much of a threat I'd built him up as and the road i'd taken to get to FTC. we'd also got closer that at this point we'd agreed to take each other to f2 if it had to be it. Otherwise, it looked like a me/paper/marth ftc. marth did bring up that if either he or paper goes home, the other one is likely voted out immediately after so the pyrite FTC votes could actually be attained by phenacs.

i wanted to keep me/marth quiet because it's a curveball to throw at DLE if he was trying to vote me out. He and Heury thought that I voted out UTO for not involving me in his plan to vote Marth out. at the time and in retrospect, i think we both knew we were trying to get the other voted out but still put up a weak attempt. dle would likely try to win/curry with paper or heury for F2.

F4: i had a couple of teams i made from messing around in 1v1 and for the bang for my buck, it was most economical to spam 1v1 ladder in terms of time & effort i needed to spend.

This vote was really lazy from me on the heury vote and mostly insecure in the angle i wanted to bring for FTC. Heury's existence in FTC kind of threatened my angle on FTC b/c I'd only thought of the lone wolf narrative, which I thought was the only way that would fit how I played and I'd thought (mistakenly) that he was a lot less involved with people in the game. I also thought there would be a F3 FTC. If I'd given it more thought, I should have voted out the person who I think would be most likely to vote with me if they'd went home at F4. I still think this would be Heury because I think I could make enough of a case to do it. If Marth went home there, I'd have to stab him which realy would sour the close connection he and I made with our dumb indian memes/videos. I think Paper had worked with everyone else closely enough that he probably votes w/them more than me and wouldn't vote me w/the amount of miscommunication & prodding in our messages. Paper on jury would be a -1 considering I gave him a heart attack at f10, I would've thought he wouldn't be over that. I wouldn't vote him out unless it would prevent me and Marth FTC.

In the game, I thought if it had to be f2 ftc, it would be an RPS matchup:
  • i beat marth b/c i'd made more impressive plays than marth did and a claim to credit for marth's influential f6 play in reachin out to me through my power of immunity, how i played f10 that DLE was praising me for it. this was the outcome i'm most prepared for for FTC.
  • marth beats paper b/c nobody really separated the two of them apart. They were always a duo and I think people would credit their standings more to Marth's relationship with UTO than paper's relationship with DLE. His connections to people were better & stood out more since most people would have trouble distinguishing the two of them and if the two of them made it this far coming from the same premerge time, it has to be off of social game that matters more. I didn't think paper had enough better individual relationships with more people than marth did that were strong enough that people would vote paper > marth.
  • Paper beats me because he had better ins in the alliance but I think performance wise was similar to mine. I think I lose to paper in a 1v1 FTC b/c from interacting with paper, he would argue he didn't need to make any moves and was under the radar long enough to make it that long that he probably had some alliance influence to make it that far. Maybe I could have spun FTC in some way on-the-spot but there were so much ???s that I had no idea why paper played the idol on marth instead of himself and it really didn't look like paper was trying to rock the boat in any way with any of the votes he was in, which is a strong indicator of where he was in alliances and a good case for him to make in FTC. It would be a weaker case than what I had prepared with me & marth.

the night I had to vote DLE out was the night I decided I never want to play Survivor again

also"I thought heury was a spam account when he PM'd me to join or someone who wanted to play but would just dip asap. " lmao

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)