Other Metagames Survival Tactics - Ultra Mix (OMM) - 300th Post

Ducky

Aw Phooey
is a Contributor to Smogon
300th Post RMT!

(Click on the sprites for the team)

Introduction

I'm sure many people reading this already know this team. It is the team I terrorized the entire Ultra Mix playerbase with for around 2 months. This team is technically a sample team, but it is near and dear to my heart, and I have had people ask me questions about it, so i figured I'd do an RMT about it. Since many people probably won't know what Ultra Mix is, I'll quickly explain.
Ultra Mix is a combination of AAA, ABC, Camomons, Mix and Mega, Scalemons, and Tier Shift.
Currently, Mega Stones are multiplied by Scalemons' boosts - which favors low BST Pokemon. To find out a Pokémon's true stats, use this calculator.

The Team

America (Swoobat) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Self-Destruct
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web
(Stats post changes: 67 / 124 / 121 / 154 / 121 / 209 )

Swoobat is the most consistent web setter in the tier. It has access to Taunt and Self-Destruct, making it both immune to Prankster Taunt and allowing it to leave the field after it sets hazards. Swoobat can be replaced with Cutiefly if the higher speed is needed, however Cutiefly does not have access to the same option as Swoobat, making it less reliable. In most cases you really only need to set Sticky Webs, but Stealth Rocks are a extra benefit that can be used depending on what you see at preview.

Temptation (Vibrava) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Drought
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thunderous Kick
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake
(Stats post Mega: 50 / 239 / 168 / 182 / 134 / 214 )

Vibrava is a crazy strong breaker. Adaptability and Sun boosted V-creates are very difficult to switch into, and even its check can be worn down by Thunderous Kick. Vibrava fits great on a team with Sticky Web, as its sub-optimal Speed is the thing holding it back from being truly great. It's able to be revenged by Oranguru, which is why Diglett was later chosen for this team.

Unorthodox (Oranguru) @ Leftovers
Ability: Triage
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Oblivion Wing
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat / Energy Ball
(Stats post changes: 90 / 116 / 142 / 154 / 180 / 116)
The real question here is why did it take until my third Pokemon for me to choose Oranguru. It fits well on pretty much any team, and webs are no exception. It's workable Special Attack stat paired with Nasty Plot, strong priority, and great coverage make it a true threat, especially after teams have already been weakened by my other breakers. Energy Ball can be used over Overheat to hit Rock/Ground types such as Coalossal and Hippopotas, but Overheat is usually a better option.

ROCKABYE BABY (Diglett) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hone Claws
(Stats post Mega: 10 / 255 / 167 / 120 / 213 / 255)

As mentioned briefly above, Diglett is one of the best offensive checks to Oranguru, as it resists all of its commonly used moves. Other than that, it provides a secondary check to Whismur if it Mega evolves early, and is otherwise a powerful physical breaker thannks to its high Speed and Attack, and its ability Sand Force giving it a 1.3x boost on its STAB moves. I also am a big fan of Diglett, as its one of my favorite LC Pokemon, so it made sense for me to try to include it in this build.

Head High (Kadabra) @ Absolite
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Astral Barrage
- Aura Sphere
- Expanding Force
(Stats post Mega: 40 / 125 / 86 / 255 / 148 / 255)

Kadabra is one of the best Special breakers in Ultra Mix, and for good reason. It has great Speed and Special attack, and access to both Astral Barrage and Expanding Force, two incredibly strong STAB moves. Its strong STAB moves hit most Pokemon for a least neutral damage, and hits many common Pokemon such as Vibrava for super effective damage.

Love Is Only a Feeling (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Jolly Nature
- Defense Curl
- Darkest Lariat
- Destiny Bond
- Defog

Ditto is the newest addition to the team, you will see in replays that this slot used to be Blissey or other high HP Pokemon, but Imposter has since been restricted to only Ditto (you're welcome), and while it serves the same role, it is much less dominating. The main questions I get about this team are related to Ditto, commonly why I chose the specific set. Many people commonly run Steel-type moves such as Doom Desire to take less damage from Stealth Rock, but I assure you that my set was carefully chosen. The point of the such is to help improof Kadabra, as Ditto is immune to both of its STAB moves. If anyone clicks Aura Sphere as you switch into ditto, you have been scouted and can get mad at your opponent.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1520883001
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1520889521
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1520089207
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8mixandmega-1505864093

Conclusion

I really hope that this cleared up any confusion people have about my team, or that it introduced some new people to Ultra Mix. It's one of my favorite teams I've ever built, and it's probably the one that shaped the meta around it the most (shout outs to the one guy that made a crazy cteam so he wouldn't lose to me anymore)!!

Shoutouts
This section is going to be waaaay shorter than the previous one, but I'd like to include some people that I forgot or didn't acknowledge at the time.

iapt - We only really started to interact with each these last 2 months but you're one of the reasons I've contiued to stay active in the Smogon discord, you're pretty funny and super fun to talk to.
ItsChew. - I'm only including you because of how much you love Ultra Mix but in reality you're also pretty funny and playing test games or just talking about music with you is a blast.
The Dragon Master - Love reading what you have to say about various metas, you really know what you're talking about and its great fun to out-skill you in TSAAA

Survival Tactics (Swoobat) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Mold Breaker
Shiny: Yes
Jolly Nature
- Taunt
- Self-Destruct
- Stealth Rock
- Sticky Web

Temptation (Vibrava) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Drought
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- V-create
- Thunderous Kick
- Rock Tomb
- Earthquake

Unorthodox (Oranguru) @ Leftovers
Ability: Triage
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpA
Modest Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Thunderbolt
- Nasty Plot
- Overheat

ROCKABYE BABY (Diglett) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 60 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Hone Claws

Head High (Kadabra) @ Absolite
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 56 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Psyshock
- Astral Barrage
- Aura Sphere
- Expanding Force

Love Is Only a Feeling (Ditto) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
Jolly Nature
- Defense Curl
- Darkest Lariat
- Destiny Bond
- Defog

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)