Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion #2 (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A few gameplay elements have changed as well. For instance, if you do a dodge in the air, you can still do a jump afterwards." -Destructoid

hmmmmm, wonder how that will effect battles?

anyways here's the link:

http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-with-super-smash-bros-brawl-48983.phtml

It's one of the better hands-on I have read as it goes a bit more in-depth.
A few new Pokemon were also shown off. Now I don't know what the hell their names are, so I'll try to describe them as best as I can.
  • A giant blue whale that can fly. It shoots out water.
  • Two metallic looking birds. One was blue, one was pinkish. They each come from either side of the screen and I guess use Tackle Attack on whoever gets caught in their attack. It's actually pretty strong and hard to get out of it.
  • A little chicken that's on fire: It uses Flame Thrower attack.
  • A penguin. It uses Ice ... Thrower attack.
Lol, Latios / Latias are in :-) As well as Torchic/Blaziken!! Hard to tell if he meant "little" as in little (torchic) or as in wtf? a flaming chicken.

I just love these descriptions of pokemon.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
  • A giant blue whale that can fly. It shoots out water. - Kyogre, already seen on serebii and an older video.
  • Two metallic looking birds. One was blue, one was pinkish. They each come from either side of the screen and I guess use Tackle Attack on whoever gets caught in their attack. It's actually pretty strong and hard to get out of it. - Latis! It's hard to tell from the description, but does that sound as if they come out simultaneously? As in both Latios and Latias in one pokeball? Either way, they sound like Scizor on Melee.
  • A little chicken that's on fire: It uses Flame Thrower attack. Torchic, seen on serebii.
  • A penguin. It uses Ice ... Thrower attack. Well we've seen Piplup but he uses a Surf attack. I don't know how the user has confused Water for Ice, but I'm pretty sure that's what he has done. Empoleon would be cool though.
Good to hear about Gardevoir, Sonius. Thanks. Woulda preferred Gallade though. :)

I always loved Hyrule Temple, so New Pork City should easily make itself one of my most desired battlefields. And no ridiculous gimmick/movement theme either, save the Ultimate Chimera. But it's so small in comparison with the amount of space you're allowed to roam in that it's probably negligible. That and, like Metal Gear Rex, it's forgiven because it's so awesome.

My only complaint is that the Ultimate Chimera isn't playable =(. So badass. Ultimate Chimera > little kid with cowlick hair.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hm... comparison to Temple makes it already seem annoying.

Well, the bottom left isn't as bad as Hyrule Temple at least. There's still a bit of a ceiling to tech off of but there are more holes so you probably won't live as long... The problem with Hyrule Temple was it was broken in competitive play and took too long in free for alls. I mean, if there are people waiting to play and Hyrule Temple came up, it was like having to wait for two matches to finish instead of one.

One of the reasons I have it set off for random.

If you'll have a look above Kirby you'll notice that there is a chicken-like thing. I'm not sure if this is a hinderence/gimmick, though.
Directly above Kirby? You mean Pikachu using a Skull Bash?

Unless I'm not picking up on what you're seeing. I'm looking at the picture enlarged on Dojo, and I can't see anything above or around Kirby besides scenery. And Pikachu.

Can anyone else see Sonic thriving in this stage? What with his speed and ridiculous up-B to make chasing him down a huge pain.

Directly above Kirby? You mean Pikachu using a Skull Bash?

Unless I'm not picking up on what you're seeing. I'm looking at the picture enlarged on Dojo, and I can't see anything above or around Kirby besides scenery. And Pikachu.
Ah, yes, know I see it. Thanks for correcting me.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
footage of the IGN halberd stage, watch this before it gets taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWveOhgXDzo

halberd looks like my favourite stage so far, its very simple but the ship flying around in the background is badass

also, what is with meta knights final smash? =\ i guess a character of such coolness had to have one weak point

also, what is with meta knights final smash? =\ i guess a character of such coolness had to have one weak point
Most of the Final Smashes have been revealed already so I'll just mention the ones that haven't yet

Meta Knight will grab his opponents and just do a slash at whoever gets trapped by him which usually results in an instant K.O
http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-with-super-smash-bros-brawl-48983.phtml

(the link was posted somewhere near the top of this page, but I guess for security's sake...)

Looked pretty accurate to the video. Unfortunately, nobody was close enough to Meta Knight in the video to get hit with the FS =/.

Anyone mind telling me where (what game) this level is from?
I think it's pretty obvious it's from Earthbound, hence Lucas. As for New Pork City, I hope all levels are fun and crazy like this, it would definitely make competitive play more fun. The OHKOing Chimera is a bit off the charts but I think it keeps players on their toes, which is a good thing.

I'm definitely hoping for little to no FD like levels, fun stages are better for competitive play, it'll be like competitive Mario Kart, with all those crazy maneuvers and moves due to the obstacles and such. Oh, and Blue Shell dodging.:toast: Heh, looks like competitive play will be a lot more fun the gen, you can't have almost ALL levels banned. I can't wait to trick people into a position where I can knock them into the chimera.:naughty: Melee attack! Roll dodge! Air dodge! Throw! Stall! Juggle! Smash!

Still waiting for Captain Falcon over here...:/

Anyways, Meta-Knight and Ike seem to have really lame FS...unless he just described them half-assedly and the actually look cool. I'm glad they've got so many new Pokemon, but I still wonder IF Lucario is gonna be a playable character. I hope so, since other than Piplup & Munchlax, there really isn't a whole lot of 4th gen representation.

Peach's FS definitely sucks, but I figured it probably would.

Also, I kinda like "New Pork City." About time they had a larger stage.

footage of the IGN halberd stage, watch this before it gets taken down:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWveOhgXDzo

halberd looks like my favourite stage so far, its very simple but the ship flying around in the background is badass

I think I heard a combination of Taking Over the Halberd and Kirby Arrives on the Scene for the song in that video. That makes me happy.

I'm definitely hoping for little to no FD like levels, fun stages are better for competitive play, it'll be like competitive Mario Kart, with all those crazy maneuvers and moves due to the obstacles and such. Oh, and Blue Shell dodging. Heh, looks like competitive play will be a lot more fun the gen, you can't have almost ALL levels banned. I can't wait to trick people into a position where I can knock them into the chimera. Melee attack! Roll dodge! Air dodge! Throw! Stall! Juggle! Smash!
You can have fun playing however you want in a non-competitive environment. However, as far as a competitive environment goes, these gimmicks suck. I'd wager that several of the stages that have already been revealed will end up banned. Random effects can easily give players an unfair advantage, and poor stage design can give some characters an inherent advantage on a certain stage, to the point of making it pointless NOT to play that character on that stage. Other effects (ie. icicle mountain scrolling) can also interrupt the game flow to the point where the actual fight gets so broken up, or in the case of venom, where if two characters were to end up on separate areas, the camping player had a huge advantage over the approaching one, that the true skill based aspect of the game starts to disappear. Sure, camping the wing on venom is an effective strategy, but it's an unfair level, since in theory, neither player should ever attack in such a situation; this gives a huge advantage to the player who is winning at the time, as their foe will have to attack them, otherwise they lose by timeout. And venom isn't even a gimmicky stage. When you combine a gimmicky stage with poor general stage design, it makes for a surefire banned level.

Also... having played MKDS competitively, I'm going to have to say you're completely wrong about these gimmicky stages being like it. In mkds, the courses were all fairly straightforward. The events on these courses were all timed - if you came by the bridge on defino plaza by a certain time it would always be down, whereas if you took too long it would always be up; many of the "obstacles" you could easily see what they were about to do before you reached them, and prepare for it. There were shortcuts that could be exploited, of course, but every player could use them. By default there were only a couple usable karts (no it's not because of snaking - even if it was like MK64, where MTs hadn't been fully developed yet, there would still only be a couple usable karts), and each of these karts were capable of using these shortcuts all fine. The karts each had different pros and cons, which one had to weigh to determine which to use based on their skill level, but the basic test of "who can complete the course the fastest" was preserved. Something you might argue that competitive MKDS had, but smash doesn't, is items. But let's do a quick rundown of what these items could do. We had the green shells, bananas, reverse item boxes, mushrooms, bombs, and boos. These were all skill based items. When you place bananas or reverse item boxes you have to avoid them, too, on your next lap around, but if they're not in a good enough place, your foes will go right past them. Green shells require very good aim to snipe someone, and in triple they just offer some added protection. Mushrooms were ONLY useful for going off road (and only for a short time), due to snaking and SSMTs. Boos were used in a similar way, except they had the added bonus of stealing an item from a foe. Bombs are similar to green shells, except they're more destructive, and can help block a blue shell. Now, we're left with (triple) red shells, stars, lightning, triple and golden mushrooms, and blue shells. Blue shells are only broken on low level mkds. Against a pro, they're worse than getting a single mushroom. Lightning is the single most unbalanced item in the game, and if there was a way to turn it off, I can almost assure you it would be. Red shells are also fairly broken, since the only way to avoid them is to block it with a banana or green shell (or using a boo), but again, someone who has learned the timing can block them fairly consistently. Stars, triple and golden mushrooms are only broken due to allowing you to take amazing shortcuts on some courses (see: desert hills). Stars have the added bonus of being able to knock your foes away in a close race. Triple shrooms are the least broken of the three, since they are fairly common, and generally, unless you keep in the lead the whole time, it isn't hard to pick them up.

Wow, this post ended up being more about mkds than it did about smash. Meh, w/e. But that reminds me, they still haven't unveiled the mario kart level shown on the original trailers. I was really looking forward to finding out more about that level.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You can have fun playing however you want in a non-competitive environment. However, as far as a competitive environment goes, these gimmicks suck. I'd wager that several of the stages that have already been revealed will end up banned. Random effects can easily give players an unfair advantage, and poor stage design can give some characters an inherent advantage on a certain stage, to the point of making it pointless NOT to play that character on that stage. Other effects (ie. icicle mountain scrolling) can also interrupt the game flow to the point where the actual fight gets so broken up, or in the case of venom, where if two characters were to end up on separate areas, the camping player had a huge advantage over the approaching one, that the true skill based aspect of the game starts to disappear. Sure, camping the wing on venom is an effective strategy, but it's an unfair level, since in theory, neither player should ever attack in such a situation; this gives a huge advantage to the player who is winning at the time, as their foe will have to attack them, otherwise they lose by timeout. And venom isn't even a gimmicky stage. When you combine a gimmicky stage with poor general stage design, it makes for a surefire banned level.

Also... having played MKDS competitively, I'm going to have to say you're completely wrong about these gimmicky stages being like it. In mkds, the courses were all fairly straightforward. The events on these courses were all timed - if you came by the bridge on defino plaza by a certain time it would always be down, whereas if you took too long it would always be up; many of the "obstacles" you could easily see what they were about to do before you reached them, and prepare for it. There were shortcuts that could be exploited, of course, but every player could use them. By default there were only a couple usable karts (no it's not because of snaking - even if it was like MK64, where MTs hadn't been fully developed yet, there would still only be a couple usable karts), and each of these karts were capable of using these shortcuts all fine. The karts each had different pros and cons, which one had to weigh to determine which to use based on their skill level, but the basic test of "who can complete the course the fastest" was preserved. Something you might argue that competitive MKDS had, but smash doesn't, is items. But let's do a quick rundown of what these items could do. We had the green shells, bananas, reverse item boxes, mushrooms, bombs, and boos. These were all skill based items. When you place bananas or reverse item boxes you have to avoid them, too, on your next lap around, but if they're not in a good enough place, your foes will go right past them. Green shells require very good aim to snipe someone, and in triple they just offer some added protection. Mushrooms were ONLY useful for going off road (and only for a short time), due to snaking and SSMTs. Boos were used in a similar way, except they had the added bonus of stealing an item from a foe. Bombs are similar to green shells, except they're more destructive, and can help block a blue shell. Now, we're left with (triple) red shells, stars, lightning, triple and golden mushrooms, and blue shells. Blue shells are only broken on low level mkds. Against a pro, they're worse than getting a single mushroom. Lightning is the single most unbalanced item in the game, and if there was a way to turn it off, I can almost assure you it would be. Red shells are also fairly broken, since the only way to avoid them is to block it with a banana or green shell (or using a boo), but again, someone who has learned the timing can block them fairly consistently. Stars, triple and golden mushrooms are only broken due to allowing you to take amazing shortcuts on some courses (see: desert hills). Stars have the added bonus of being able to knock your foes away in a close race. Triple shrooms are the least broken of the three, since they are fairly common, and generally, unless you keep in the lead the whole time, it isn't hard to pick them up.

Wow, this post ended up being more about mkds than it did about smash. Meh, w/e. But that reminds me, they still haven't unveiled the mario kart level shown on the original trailers. I was really looking forward to finding out more about that level.
Here's an honest question: Will you like this game? If so, tell me reasons why, without mentioning anything about "competitive play" in any form. Mention everything in the game.

I'm not going to bother quoting that. You kind of went into a nerd spasm, like this guy >:nerd:

Haha, in all seriousness, you put up a very good point. What do you feel is better, comp. play or non comp. play in SSB? If that's the point you're making, than non-comp. play is a LOT better, since you can do whatever level you want. It's makes it impossibly difficult to integrate fun strategies that can be used to piss people off if you don't have these awesome gimmicks, and that's a bad thing. Rather, it becomes a game of, say, Nintendo Tekken, if all you do is play Final destination. I'm fine with both forms of play, but can you deny that the ways people are doing competitive games is a bit corrupt?

For example, back in the old ADV days of Pokemon, you would see no Skarmbliss gracing many user information bars in Netbattle. Why did they do this? Simply so that less things could stop them, even though they could've just stocked a Tauntados or Tyranitaunt or something...

Shouldn't everything be allowed besides for, say, the scrolling levels where it's just hit and run? It's disappointing that you already think, based on past experience, that several of those awesome levels will be banned. By your logic, what would we be left with competitively? Battlefield? Listen, those game developers like making fun stages, not "skill oriented stages". True skill should show in any level that isn't a side scroller with any amount of items. If a sudden Bob-Omb appears, just shield when you see the portal, and roll dodge that exact second. I find it easy to trick my opponent into falling into a trick Bob-omb that was aimed at me.

Whatever, some of you elitist are strange, I guess.

Still waiting for Captain Falcon over here...:/

Anyways, Meta-Knight and Ike seem to have really lame FS...unless he just described them half-assedly and the actually look cool. I'm glad they've got so many new Pokemon, but I still wonder IF Lucario is gonna be a playable character. I hope so, since other than Piplup & Munchlax, there really isn't a whole lot of 4th gen representation.

Peach's FS definitely sucks, but I figured it probably would.

Also, I kinda like "New Pork City." About time they had a larger stage.
Which video were these FS's described?

I'm not going to bother quoting that. You kind of went into a nerd spasm, like this guy >:nerd:

Haha, in all seriousness, you put up a very good point. What do you feel is better, comp. play or non comp. play in SSB? If that's the point you're making, than non-comp. play is a LOT better, since you can do whatever level you want. It's makes it impossibly difficult to integrate fun strategies that can be used to piss people off if you don't have these awesome gimmicks, and that's a bad thing. Rather, it becomes a game of, say, Nintendo Tekken, if all you do is play Final destination. I'm fine with both forms of play, but can you deny that the ways people are doing competitive games is a bit corrupt?

For example, back in the old ADV days of Pokemon, you would see no Skarmbliss gracing many user information bars in Netbattle. Why did they do this? Simply so that less things could stop them, even though they could've just stocked a Tauntados or Tyranitaunt or something...

Shouldn't everything be allowed besides for, say, the scrolling levels where it's just hit and run? It's disappointing that you already think, based on past experience, that several of those awesome levels will be banned. By your logic, what would we be left with competitively? Battlefield? Listen, those game developers like making fun stages, not "skill oriented stages". True skill should show in any level that isn't a side scroller with any amount of items. If a sudden Bob-Omb appears, just shield when you see the portal, and roll dodge that exact second. I find it easy to trick my opponent into falling into a trick Bob-omb that was aimed at me.

Whatever, some of you elitist are strange, I guess.
Competitive =/= Elitist. Then again, many competitive players are Elitist, so the steriotype is I guess reasonable, but I don't see anything too elitist about leafgreen's post.

Anyway, Competitive games must have a low varience, aka you cannot have obviously less skilled players beating more skilled players due to luck. Items and fun stages make the game significantly more based on luck than on skill.

However, it is pretty easy to please the competitive battler. They already allow you to turn off items, and as long as Final Destination and Battlefield are remade, then I'll be happy as far as competitive environments are concerned. (and of course some character balance)

"Fun" levels better be fun damn it. The only "fun" scrolling levels that I midly had fun with was Poke-Floats and Rainbow Cruise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)