Super Smash Bros. Brawl Discussion #2 (spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots to reply to:

@Steelicks: No worries man, not bashing MetaKnight. I love the guy, it just seems that he's the Sheik/Marth of this SSB. I'm looking forward to how he plays.

@Alienjesus: Sonic's wind-up punch is his ordinary smash attack. Look closely, sometimes you'll see he just punches.

@Dragontamer: It's the highest any character's Up+B has ever gone, the recovery distance is insane. I suppose his recovery gameplay will end up being like Luigi's in Melee (Get as close to the stage as possible then use Up+B which goes straight up).

sonics smash b move will allow him to make a pretty long horizontal recovery too...seems lik you'll have to completely blast him off screen or else he IS getting back.

As long as L-cancelling and fast falling are back, I honestly won't give a shit if WDashing doesn't come back. The technique isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be, and I really only use it if I play as Samus. SHFFLing though...don't know what I'd do without that.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As long as L-cancelling and fast falling are back, I honestly won't give a shit if WDashing doesn't come back. The technique isn't nearly as important as people make it out to be, and I really only use it if I play as Samus. SHFFLing though...don't know what I'd do without that.
99% you can shffl. short hopping, fast falling, and l-cancelling are basic techniques in since the beginning. short hopping has been around since Super Mario Bros. on the NES... or maybe even before.

sonics smash b move will allow him to make a pretty long horizontal recovery too...seems lik you'll have to completely blast him off screen or else he IS getting back.
I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion, Luigi had pretty amazing recovery potential, but the fact that it's so predictable makes it that much easier for opponents to edgeguard effectively for a kill. I think the same goes for Sonic, unless his side+B really makes his recovery as variable as Samus's (which is what made her horizontal recovery the best in Melee's).

I'm not so sure about that. In my opinion, Luigi had pretty amazing recovery potential, but the fact that it's so predictable makes it that much easier for opponents to edgeguard effectively for a kill. I think the same goes for Sonic, unless his side+B really makes his recovery as variable as Samus's (which is what made her horizontal recovery the best in Melee's).
I thought Jiggs had the best horizontal recovery in Melee...

Samus didn't have the best horizontal recovery in Melee. That was Puff, then Peach. Samus gets good distance but the bombs are too easy to mess up.
What did they mean "l-catch"? Is that the l-cancel?

apparently you aren't invincible when you respawn anymore. that's interesting, but what's more interesting is that maybe you don't get invincibility frames when you grab the ledge? This would be most interesting.

edit: ok apparently you get invincibility when grabbing ledges anyway =/

wyvern said:
After doing a recovery move (and maybe even an airdodge, though we can't say for sure), it looks like you'll still be capable of attacking or using your second jump if you haven't already. (Obviously you couldn't use the recovery move itself again, but your other abilities would remain intact.) This could change the way midair battles work for many characters (something we know Sakurai has been trying to build on) and would make a lot of previously-useless moves a lot more effective in a combat situation (Samus's Screw Attack comes to mind, and Pikachu could do some really cool stuff with Quick Attack).

There is one more thing that must be noted, however, and that's that in both of these examples, the character in question initialized the recovery move from the ground. It's still possible that doing them from an airborne position will still work the same as it does now in Melee. But even so, it could still add some interesting new strategies for a lot of characters.

Any comments? If someone has evidence that we've seen Brawl characters in the old "freefall" post-recovery state, that would be particularly interesting, as it would suggest that either aerial recoveries or airdodges still take away your ability to act.

EDIT: There is, in fact, evidence of Fox going into freefall after using his up-B from an aerial position in the 15-second trailer. Therefore, it would appear that these changes only affect up-B moves used from a standing position (or it only works for Sonic, but that would just be silly).
once again directly from smashboards

@Dragontamer: It's the highest any character's Up+B has ever gone, the recovery distance is insane. I suppose his recovery gameplay will end up being like Luigi's in Melee (Get as close to the stage as possible then use Up+B which goes straight up).
My post was more in awe of the absolutely HUGE jump he gets than a question :-p

But yeah, it is an insane jump. Just wondering why no one seems to be talking about it. Lol.

Well, really we can't tell how big it is until we get better footage. The highest in Melee was G&W's iirc, which could recover you from off the bottom of the screen on FD. ICs have a huge up-b as well.

Ack shit, forgot about Jigglypuff... mainly because it's so light. Ditto for Peach, haha. Still, thanks for the correction. =D

Oh, I found out from a friend on GameFAQS (who messaged Ryan Drummond on MySpace) that Drummond is not reprising the voice of Sonic, so it would appear that Jason Griffith still has the job.

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
You know, with all the silly talk about Wavedash (*slide) being there/not being there (Wouldn't not being there kill some potentially dangerous stupid phrase combos?), I think I could explain the reason why the Wavedash (*slide) wasn't included anymore.

Reason? Crawling. That sounds like a pretty good answer as to why it would be remove (or at least, not occur). However, I'm not saying that it is in fact removed. This would most likely be the reason if it was removed.

I know this is two pages late, but...

It [snapshots] was in Melee... this is an improved version but unless they have instant replays you can pause and take pictures of (a la Halo 3), this won't be used much.

Currently, your friends would kill you. If in a tournament, you'd be disqualified.
I am aware of that. However, even the fact that snapshots can be taken at any time during play doesn't seem to impress me much.

But what's that last line supposed to mean? No offense, but are you doubting my smash skills? :O

Sonuis

Doofenshmirtz Evil Incorporated!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
But what's that last line supposed to mean? No offense, but are you doubting my smash skills? :O
Interpretation: If you were to take snapshots like that during a tournament, it would disqualify you. I don't know how it would piss off your friends though since you all would be a part of it.

Oh yeah, re: wavedashing, I would definitly not make a decision at least until the next major event (NOT the 18th). This is a demo at best. I don't think wding would be included at a media event and unveiled so soon.
Another thing, I can't imagine HOW they can remove wding. If they make traction infinite, that will mess up the game, and I can't think of another solution.

Firestorm

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh yeah, re: wavedashing, I would definitly not make a decision at least until the next major event (NOT the 18th). This is a demo at best. I don't think wding would be included at a media event and unveiled so soon.
Another thing, I can't imagine HOW they can remove wding. If they make traction infinite, that will mess up the game, and I can't think of another solution.
Er, it's obviously going to be in the demo if it's in the game. Unless you can't airdodge in the demo, which you can.

You know, with all the silly talk about Wavedash (*slide) being there/not being there (Wouldn't not being there kill some potentially dangerous stupid phrase combos?), I think I could explain the reason why the Wavedash (*slide) wasn't included anymore.

Reason? Crawling. That sounds like a pretty good answer as to why it would be remove (or at least, not occur). However, I'm not saying that it is in fact removed. This would most likely be the reason if it was removed.
Wavedashing is more a side effect than completely intended. If airdodging can be done in a diagonal direction, it'll be in unless they put in some restrictions that go against the physics of the game.

I know this is two pages late, but...

I am aware of that. However, even the fact that snapshots can be taken at any time during play doesn't seem to impress me much.

I meant what Sonuis said.

Firestorm

That was established a long time ago steelicks >.> Official placeholder at the very least

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)