Sun Team Assistance

As the title says, I am running a Sun Team. I'm comfortably sitting in the high 1400/low 1500s, and I think I am playing well. There is one major flaw with the team that I don't know how to fix best: a MASSIVE weakness to Fairy types. Any help would be most appreciated.

:Torkoal: Torkoal @ Heat Rock
Ability: Drought
Tera Type: Grass / Dragon
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Yawn

Starting off the sun team is the mandatory member to get the ball rolling, :Torkoal: . At this rate, there is nothing that can really be said about :Torkoal: that hasn't been drilled in a million times already. Heat Rock to extend sun's reign, EVs and nature to make it as specially bulky as possible to patch up it's normally low special defense. :Torkoal: can act as a backup Spinner, but ideally he just gets in, puts the sun up, MAYBE rocks if I'm lucky, and leave into a sweeper. Don't really get much chances to click Yawn, but when I can it usually helps me get in and setup with one of the two setup sweepers. The Terais up in the air honestly. Don't really ever Tera :Torkoal: , but both have their advantages in extreme emergencies. Leaning moreso towards Grass, but I can't ignore Dragon.

:Walking_Wake: Walking Wake @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Agility
- Hydro Steam
- Flamethrower
- Draco Meteor

:Walking_Wake: is the first setup sweeper. With it getting a special attack boost in the sun, Agility seemed liked the most ideal move to get it in a position to tear holes into the enemy's team. Life Orb adds that extra power to it's attacks, and it's not meant to stay around long-term. Tera is Water to boost the power of the already strong Hydro Steam, Flamethrower also gets a boost from the sun, and Draco Meteor is just a nuke button on anything that is not Fairy or Steel. From the battles I've done with this team, :Walking_Wake: is usually the mon that ends up Tera-ing.

:Roaring_Moon: Roaring Moon @ Choice Band
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 32 HP / 220 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Earthquake

:Roaring_Moon: is an obvious choice for a physical attacker for Sun teams. Instead of going for the Booster Energy Acrobatics set, I went for Choice Band since with it's EV spread, it gets a speed boost in the sun. Iron Head is the main choice to take on Fairy types. Maybe I'm just getting unlucky against :Hatterene: but I usually fail the kill and get blown up in return. U-turn is there to scout switches, Knock Off is the main STAB move, and Earthquake is coverage for Steel Types, mostly thinking about :Excadrill: . In hindsight I should probably lean into Tera-ing :Roaring_Moon: more, but :Walking_Wake: usually makes more of an impact in matches.

:Raging_Bolt: Raging Bolt @ Choice Specs
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 20 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball
- Draco Meteor
- Thunderclap

:Raging_Bolt: is my favorite anti-rain mon. Choice Spec'd, Modest, IV is 20 Atk since it's impossible to get anything lower at the moment. Volt Swich is a main stab as well as a slower pivot for the team. Draco Meteor is the second main stab and another nuke in the sun. Thunderclap is priority, but I don't use it as much, instead going for Volt Switch since everyone expects the Clappening to happen. Weather Ball is the anti-rain move. When :Raging_Bolt: comes in, people immediately expect some kind of electric move to come out so they switch into a ground type. Weather Ball ends up obliterating the switch, leaving them vulnerable to the exact type they wanted to cover. When outside of rain, Weather Ball gives a nice option to get rid of steel types. Tera Flying is to remedy the Ground weakness if by some miracle the ground type lives the Weather Ball.

:Great_Tusk: Great Tusk @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Fighting
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Headlong Rush
- Close Combat
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

:Great_Tusk: is the main form of hazard removal for the team. EVs give it an attack boost in the sun. Knock Off gets rid of the enemy's held items to help soften up the enemy team. Truth be told, I feel like :Great_Tusk: is the weakest link on the team, despite being one of the best mons in OU. I don't have much to say about him because I don't know how to optimize him to the best he can be.

:Venusaur: Venusaur @ Leftovers
Ability: Chlorophyll
Tera Type: Grass
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD /252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Growth
- Giga Drain
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Finally, the second setup sweeper of the team, :Venusaur: . With Chlorophyll doubling it's speed, it's pretty much the same situation as :Walking_Wake: except switch the stat being boosted by the sun and the stat being boosted by a move. Against :Slowking_Galar: , a decent counter to :Venusaur: , a +2 Sun boosted Weather Ball is a 2HKO which I think is impressive. Sludge Bomb is another option for Fairy types, but it suffers from a psychic weakness so it doesn't get the chance to KO before falling. Thinking about switching Leftovers for a Life Orb, which also in hindsight might be a little more helpful.

The biggest weakness I have is against Fairy types, specifially :Hatterene: . Maybe it's just me, but it feels like :Hatterene: always has enough bulk to live a hit from one of the super effective attackers and destroys them in return. I've thought about switching :Great_Tusk: for a steel type like :Kingambit: but then I would not have a reliable source of hazard removal. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

DaRotomMachine

I COULD BE BANNED!
Based on your trouble with Hatterene, running life orb > leftovers is better on venusaur, as at +2 Life Orb SLudge Bomb from Venusaur KOs Hatt without boosts

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)