SV OU Sun//Eater (Sun Hyper Offense)

Hey, I've been a huge fan of Sun this gen and gotten to top 500 using multiple different sun teams. Here the one I've been using for dlc2. Feel free to incorporate any of these ideas into your sun team. I don't think sun needs a cleric if you play super aggressively. Wake is absolutely broken still, dude get like 5 kills against so many teams. Also, volc is not fair and has 6-0'd multiple people in the 1700/1800s. My biggest advice is to play as aggressively as possible. On your team, Wake should probably be specs +speed with hs, draco, flip turn, and weather ball. Torkal should have lava plume instead of weather ball because of the burn chance + hitting a-ninetails. On sun I like 4 attack + defense tusk so that it can check the massive physical threats (iron Boulder rn is a nightmare) and output serious damage. Have fun, sun is so much fun.

https://pokepast.es/abb1dd49d55124f3

Hey, I've been a huge fan of Sun this gen and gotten to top 500 using multiple different sun teams. Here the one I've been using for dlc2. Feel free to incorporate any of these ideas into your sun team. I don't think sun needs a cleric if you play super aggressively. Wake is absolutely broken still, dude get like 5 kills against so many teams. Also, volc is not fair and has 6-0'd multiple people in the 1700/1800s. My biggest advice is to play as aggressively as possible. On your team, Wake should probably be specs +speed with hs, draco, flip turn, and weather ball. Torkal should have lava plume instead of weather ball because of the burn chance + hitting a-ninetails. On sun I like 4 attack + defense tusk so that it can check the massive physical threats (iron Boulder rn is a nightmare) and output serious damage. Have fun, sun is so much fun.

https://pokepast.es/abb1dd49d55124f3
Thank you for your suggestions! My Great Tusk build idea is definitely awkward and may end up being replaced, so I'll keep the defense build in mind.

I understand why people go for Specs Wake, but I've had a lot of success with Agility. I won't be changing that set, but I appreciate the suggestion either way! Here's why I love the Agility set so much:
  • Specs with +Spe EVs: 520 SpA and 522 Spe in sunlight
  • Modest Agility with Life Orb: 612 SpA and 634 Spe in sunlight
Assuming I'm doing my math right, which is a huge assumption, the differences in firepower and speed are drastic here. Yeah, that does mean that I have to be able to fire off Agility if I do actually need the extra speed, but it's hard to argue with the results.

I'm pretty sure Azumarill isn't relevant anymore, but I like to use the Assault Vest set to demonstrate how much stronger my take on AgiliWake is than the standard Specs Wake:
  • 244 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill in Sun: 153-180 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill in Sun: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I like using Azumarill here because I remember that it was being thrown around as one of Wake's hard counters in forum discussions a while back.

Thanks again for your comment and suggestions! I'll take them into consideration, minus the Wake set :)

Thank you for your suggestions! My Great Tusk build idea is definitely awkward and may end up being replaced, so I'll keep the defense build in mind.

I understand why people go for Specs Wake, but I've had a lot of success with Agility. I won't be changing that set, but I appreciate the suggestion either way! Here's why I love the Agility set so much:
  • Specs with +Spe EVs: 520 SpA and 522 Spe in sunlight
  • Modest Agility with Life Orb: 612 SpA and 634 Spe in sunlight
Assuming I'm doing my math right, which is a huge assumption, the differences in firepower and speed are drastic here. Yeah, that does mean that I have to be able to fire off Agility if I do actually need the extra speed, but it's hard to argue with the results.

I'm pretty sure Azumarill isn't relevant anymore, but I like to use the Assault Vest set to demonstrate how much stronger my take on AgiliWake is than the standard Specs Wake:
  • 244 SpA Choice Specs Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill in Sun: 153-180 (37.8 - 44.5%) -- 3.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Life Orb Protosynthesis Tera Water Walking Wake Hydro Steam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill in Sun: 190-224 (47 - 55.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
I like using Azumarill here because I remember that it was being thrown around as one of Wake's hard counters in forum discussions a while back.

Thanks again for your comment and suggestions! I'll take them into consideration, minus the Wake set :)
Azu was a main check when wake dropped but it can't stop wake more than once so it kinda disappeared. I haven't tested agility in sun so idk, but I just like switching in wake and clicking hydro steam and watch things die. Tusk is so weird to build on sun because it feels like it needs to fill the role of bulky mon, spinner, and offensive threat. The fact that it can in the first place is crazy. Scarf plus attack is good because it is just so strong has decent bulk and can spin. Full defensive feels to weak for this type of ho team. So, that's how I built my tusk. Plus defense lets it switch in a beat: iron boulder, excadrill (in sand it can do work), other tusk, ttar, roaring moon, gouging fire, king gambit (still a massive threat), lando t, samurott-h in sun, and zama. Combined this with eject pack to get momentum after forcing something out it can just deal so much damage out of nowhere.
Here is a replay of an enamorus build I'm testing and why I like specs wake so much.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9ou-2017374170-wjry8eic87558kqh03xy3cbv8icroripw

Last edited:
How well has Great Tusk worked without Heavy-Duty Boots? Both of your spinners aren't rocking that protection, so don't they get worn down quickly?

How well does your Tusk fare against Gholdengo switch-ins without Knock Off to get rid of Air Balloon? I guess Ice Spinner breaks it and Headlong Rush kills it, but it's also really hard to deny the usefulness of Knock Off against most switch-ins.

How well does your team handle sweepers that are faster than Walking Wake in sunlight? You have some defensive counterplay, but isn't Booster Energy Iron Valiant still a problem?

I see Raging Bolt doesn't have Thunderclap. Don't need it?

How well has Gouging Fire been performing for you? It's relatively slow before Dragon Dance and still not fast enough to outspeed many things after using it once. Has that been a problem? I'm super intrigued by it, but I'm not sure it fits my team as well. I'm probably wrong about that.

Nope. I haven't actually played in a while. I'm waiting to see what happens with bans because I don't want to spend a lot of time working on a team only to lose an important Pokémon and have to start over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)