Strategy Analysis: Choice Banders

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
hjk on cham is a good option over brick break.

also, not mentioned are donphan, steelix, and swampert, who can choice band pretty well. donphan usually only goes in for one thing and switches out anyway, and with rest + cleric it can be effective. Same goes for steelix, and swampert is overall pretty good for cbing, with good offensive stats, and ability to switch into many different common attacks

All right, I'll get more work on this done now that I'm back from vacation. Keep the recommendations coming!

Heracross should never have earthquake, put sleep talk as an option for cbcross's fourth move. Ive used it and found it to be very useful indeed. Personally i consider focus punch to be better over brick break on cbcross but whatever
Dodrio have 100 base speed not 110
Mention that screech maggie works well with cbduggy.

Groudon69 said:
hjk on cham is a good option over brick break.
I never use HJK because Cham(and Hitmonlee for that matter) is kinda too fragile to take risks like that. Also missing REALLY hurts when you take a lot of damage to yourself.

needs CB jirachi because a CB bodyslam with that raised chance for paring helps and it can AA Heracross's ass to hell if it thinks it can come in and quake it and well its at least useable IMO AA HP steel Shadowball Bodyslam

If you use torment/protect, you can own any CBer. The only problem is that in order to pull it off you need so much prediction that you would be just as well off simply predicting the attacks and switching in resists. If a CBer is unable to really hurt you, it will switch so Torment is wasted anyway.

notices a major lack of sleep talk. Sleep talk is an excellent move on cb'ers as your are guarentee'd to get an attacking move =P and you aren't limited to one move.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mention Claydol as a CBer, I've seen Warthog using it, and I used it myself..pretty funny. Here's mine.

Claydol @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Atk / 72 Def = 324 HP / 333 Atk/ 290 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
Earthquake
Rapid Spin/Explosion
Rock Slide
Shadow Ball

Decent Defense, Cool Typing, Rapid Spin, and more power! It can Rapid Spin after it OHKO's Gengar with Shadow Ball ;]

Also on Donphan HP Bug should be added as an option over Roar, although you need Adamant to even have a chance to OHKO Celebi, and even then it's not guarenteed.(my CB Donphan is Impish with 252 EVs in Attack.)

Or do what I did with my Drizzle guide and list the more common ones and then have another section for the ones that aren't as common.

Two pokes that have decent defense that can mean look/torment are Umbreon and Dusclops.

Then there's also Wobby for a counter.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
I never use HJK because Cham(and Hitmonlee for that matter) is kinda too fragile to take risks like that. Also missing REALLY hurts when you take a lot of damage to yourself.
95% accuracy is good enough, plus cham really wont live long anyway so why not just take a chance

Wanting you to flip Tauros and Blaziken into their right positions. Tauros can CLEAN a team after the wall has been nuetralized; I almost never see Blaziken and I doubt it's "popular."

Tauros is definitely a great Choice Bander, it's not deserving the same tier as Claydol (lol ;/). Dodrio is awesome as well. Mention Aerodactyl's insane possibility to flinch stuff to death with Rock Slide.

Dragonite makes quite a good Choice Bander I heard with Focus Punch, Metagross usually has Sludge Bomb, perhaps add some more UUish Choice Banders (some that are workable in the OU metagame, like Solrock, and some that can be good in UU, like Gligar). And while I didn't check extensively, did you leave Flygon out?

Just thought I'd help out with some UU CBers:

Gligar (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rock Slide
- Sludge Bomb

410 Attack STAB EQ is going to hurt. Hyper Cutter is awesome for a CBer, as it's attack cannot be lowered.

Solrock @ Choice Band
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 Def / 136 Spd
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Ball
- Explosion

You could just max speed and attack, but I like my Solrock to be a bit more durable.

Fearow (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Keen Eye
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)/Jolly Nature (+Spd, - SAtk)
- Drill Peck
- Frustration/Double-Edge
- Hidden Power [Ground]/[Fighting]
- Quick Attack

Very OU-UU pokemon (if you know what I mean). Common starter, nad hits everything hard. Double Edge is risky, but KOs more stuff.

Muk (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 252 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SDef
- Sludge Bomb
- Explosion
- Hidden Power [Ghost]
- Focus Punch

Focus Punch/HP Ghost cover everything, and Explosion OHKOs a lot. Sludge Bomb is awesome for a STAB move, and poison is great.

Ursaring (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
- Focus Punch
- Return/Body Slam
- Earthquake/Sleep Talk
- Hidden Power [Ghost]

Again, Focus Punch/HP Ghost coverage. Try to get this thing in on a Thunder Wave. Sleep Talk is an option for taking Status and activating Guts.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Early Bird
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Return
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Shadow Ball

Suprisingly fast, with over 300 Speed, hits hard with STAB Return too.

Nidoking (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Poison Point
- Megahorn/Rock Slide
- Sludge Bomb
- Earthquake
- Shadow Ball

Double STAB is awesome on Nidoking.

Stantler (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Intimidate
- Earthquake
- Return
- Shadow Ball
- Thunder Wave

Cool UU Starter, Thunder Wave the first turn, and then switch out. They still won't know you've got CB. Intimidate just makes this thing even cooler.

Golem (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 54 Def / 204 Spd
- Earthquake
- Focus Punch
- Rock Slide
- Explosion

350 att, 177 Speed (outspeed non speed skarm) and 309 Def. Just don't let him take a special hit!

Hope this helps.

People, I'm not taking every random suggestion anymore. I'm putting OU, UU, and some interesting ones (Claydol and Jirachi), and shutting this up. Final version.

Thanks, DD, I'll put this to good use.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)