Move Sticky Web

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
jw, why do you use hippo > tar?
The staying power. TTar doesn't get to come in and wall things like Hippo. After using Hippo on Force of Nature, I tried him out in a sand team and like him better. That, and Exca can handle birds just fine because he outspeeds them and resists their STAB.

ok, I was always assuming that Tar > Hippo on rush teams, given that Tar + Drill messes up a lot of things. Also, how do you manage to keep up Sand and Web? Every time you bring in hippo, you give up momentum, which you opponent can capitalize by going for a spin, then you have to switch to shuckle, set up webs, swap to exca/chomp, and you have four turns.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It was difficult, but in the end I just went for Latios instead because hazards. Also yeah, I give up momentum, but having an emergency stop to things like DNite and Excadrill is sorely needed on my team.

Clone

Free Gliscor
Hippo. He walls both of them when they're Unboosted.

But yeah, this has gone from saying sticky web and Megachomp work hand in hand to me talking about Hippo on my sand team. If you want to know more or something, I guess you could message me on here (I have no idea of how it works; need bothered with it) so it doesn't clutter up this thread.

Anyways, when I first started seeing Sticky Web pop up, everyone and their mom was using Galvantula for it (back when he had the usage for OU), but now all I see run it is Smeargle, which doesn't have any offensive presence and is dead weight once hazards are down. Never was able to figure out why.

Anyways, when I first started seeing Sticky Web pop up, everyone and their mom was using Galvantula for it (back when he had the usage for OU), but now all I see run it is Smeargle, which doesn't have any offensive presence and is dead weight once hazards are down. Never was able to figure out why.
Smeargle is more versatile than Galvantula. If it's not in the best interest of the player to set down Sticky Web, Smeargle can always lay down Stealth Rock or a layer of Spikes, whereas Galvantula just has Sticky Web. Smeargle also has the ability to put something to sleep with Spore or Dark Void to shut down the opposing lead before setting up hazards. It can also use Magic Coat to bounce back a Taunt or any hazards. Galvantula is very one-dimensional compared to Smeargle as a hazard setter. Galvantula does have more offensive presence but its job as Sticky Web setter doesn't really call for it to be particularly offensive. It's supposed to set up Sticky Web then faint.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People use Smeargle for Sticky Web setting? I always assumed good players used Shuckle given that it's far better than Galvantula for two reasons : it can afford to run Mental Herb over Focus Sash, which stops it from being Taunt bait for the likes of Thundurus and Sableye, and it has Encore, which is a very important move which stops it from being simple setup fodder, and can also lock the opponent into Taunt, giving a free switch into something offensive. Simply put, a suicide lead should always have a way to stop Pokemon from setting up over it, which is why Galvantula is just bad at its job.

I guess you can use Smeargle for SW, but the only set you should use on it is Sticky Web / Spore or Stealth Rocks / Taunt / Magic Coat with a Focus Sash. But I honestly prefer Shuckle for its ability to potentially set more than one Hazard. Smeargle can only set Webs and not Rocks, more often than not. And if you carry Spore to disable something on the opposing team, you have to give up Rocks, since both Taunt (to stop opponents form setting up) and Magic Coat (to stop faster Taunters) I still prefer Shuckle, given that it can do, or rather, take advantage of both these things at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)