Steps to a Better Metagame (Currently Discussion Phase)

Approved by The Eevee General

Hi everyone, and welcome to...

Steps to a Better Metagame

The concept is fairly straightforward. Every month, five small changes will be introduced to the OU Metagame. These changes will stack with previous months' modifications and continue to grow until we have created a fairer, more competitive metagame. In the list below, I have included some possible changes that should serve as examples for future submissions.
  • Knock Off's original BP is reduced to 40 (60 if it successfully knocks off an item).
  • Stealth Rock's damage is calculated differently (1/40 Max Health, 1/20 Max Health, 1/10 Max Health, 1/5 Max Health, 1/3 Max Health)
  • Quick Powder increases Ditto's speed by 1.1x, even through Transform/Imposter
  • Florges is now Fairy/Grass type
  • Donphan gets Slack Off
  • Critical hits do 1.3x damage instead of 1.5x
  • Pikachu's Fake Out and Extreme Speed are compatible
  • Bug is neutral against Fairy
  • Pickup removes entry hazards from the holder's side if the holder does not faint on switch-in
  • Crygonal's base defense is 60

As you can see, almost anything can be changed, as long as it's not too complex or major. The above list does not necessarily reflect what I wish to be changed; it is merely a set of examples. Now, on to the monthly schedule by which we will decide the modifications:

The 1st-15th of every month is the testing phase. This is when players are encouraged to play and test out the new changes to the metagame. If anyone notices any problems or balance issues, they are encouraged to report them to the coder, OP, or thread in general. This phase is retained throughout the entire month, but is most encouraged during the first half.

The 16th-20th of every month is the nomination phase. This is when everyone has the opportunity to submit minor changes to moves, movepools, abilities, items, stats, typings, and mechanics. Changes should promote a more healthy and balanced metagame. ONLY THREE SUBMISSIONS PER PLAYER PER MONTH.

The 21th-25th of every month is the voting phase. This is when qualified voters may vote for their 5 favorite changes in order. Voters are expected to have played and won against at least three different players during the period with the current changes. PM me the votes, and I will tally them.

The 26th of every month is the revealing phase. This is when I will reveal the 5 changes that received the most votes. Discussion about the implications of the changes is encouraged.

The rest of the month is for the coders (currently just bestoise97) to program the new changes into the game. They will hopefully be implemented in time for the testing phase of the next month!

No changes yet; this meta is currently just OU with a less cool name

CHANGES WILL STACK WITH THOSE FROM PREVIOUS MONTHS. IF YOU DON'T LIKE A CHANGE, YOU ARE ENCOURAGED TO SUBMIT A CHANGE THAT NEUTRALIZES IT.

Thanks for reading, and I hope we can work together and effectively create a more balanced metagame.

Last edited:
Whoops this should be in pet mods... How does one redirect it?

EDIT: I thought I posted this in the pet mods subforum. My bad

Beta.

Ruff Ruff amirite?
What makes something a 'pet mod'?
- It's simple - any metagame with mostly custom changes (such as Molk's Dad or "make every Pokemon OU worthy" (like DuskMod and Joimmons, to give a better picture) metagames) classifies as a pet mod and should be posted here

It seems like it, this seems like a fixmons type of tier. it looks good, yet it does look like fixedmons

Arcticblast is viewing the thread, he can do it, if he so feels like

Wait, so what do we test? So I'm guessing we'll wait till the 16th when we can suggest changes?
At the moment, we're just testing the OU metagame and trying to think of ways to improve it. Admittedly, it was bad timing on my part to post it now, so I guess we can begin discussion. Personally, I think Knock Off should be the first thing to go. A solid power nerf or eliminating its power-boosting secondary effect could do the trick. Thoughts?

canno

formerly The Reptile
Yes nerf Knock Off. I'd personally just make it like it was in Gen 5, but a lower BP is alright. As long as it's not as strong as 2 Night Slashes it should be alright.

I'd like for it to remain a strong move. It's just such a defining part of Gen VI that if it were crippled things wouldn't be the same.

40-50 BP Knock Off sounds sensible enough.

Last edited:
Gen 5 knock off wasn't broken, simply removing the buff will be good enough. There isn't really any need to nerf a 65 base power move after that.

So it looks like most people agree that Knock Off needs a nerf. Perhaps removing the 1.5x power boost it gets when it's successful would be sufficient to keep it viable, but slightly less spammable.

On a different note, should Stealth Rock be changed at all?

Stealth Rock isn't really a "broken" aspect, especially with new XY defog mechanics. Something that could be nerfed, however, is paralysis. IMO para should half speed or drop it x.67, not make it 1/4. Burn halves attack, why does para destroy your speed and not let you move?
I agree completely. This slightly nerfs Thundurus I, which is pretty op. Also, we might want to consider removing the 1/4 full para chance

At first I thought, "Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!" But then I realized Talonflame and the Mega Charizards would get a HUGE buff with an SR nerf. I'm not sure anymore.
What if SR only affected Pokemon weak to it or Pokemon that carry a type weak to it (so the likes of Lando and Heatran would still be hit, while Manectric would not)

canno

formerly The Reptile
I think just leave Stealth Rocks the way they are. The most I'd change is make it so that it doesn't factor in 4x resistances and weaknessses. So Talonflame would only take 25% instead of 50%, while Lucario would take 6.25% or w/e it is that 2x resists take from Stealth Rocks.

I'm just throwing out a bunch of ideas.

Stealth Rock prevents some pokemon from being OP but it also makes others completely unusable. Maybe Rock Throw could move SR from one side to another or something like that.

The Ice type needs a buff ASAP.

Some pokemon can no longer be completely outclassed... like Florges/Vaporeon/etc.

I'm just throwing out a bunch of ideas.

Stealth Rock prevents some pokemon from being OP but it also makes others completely unusable. Maybe Rock Throw could move SR from one side to another or something like that.

The Ice type needs a buff ASAP.

Some pokemon can no longer be completely outclassed... like Florges/Vaporeon/etc.
Adding the Grass type to Florges would make it completely immune to status, so that'd be something

What makes something a 'pet mod'?
- It's simple - any metagame with mostly custom changes (such as Molk's Dad or "make every Pokemon OU worthy" (like DuskMod and Joimmons, to give a better picture) metagames) classifies as a pet mod and should be posted here

It seems like it, this seems like a fixmons type of tier. it looks good, yet it does look like fixedmons

Arcticblast is viewing the thread, he can do it, if he so feels like
wth is molk's dad

SR is definitely bonkers broken and hardly 'fair'.

Let's see, some brief reasoning as to why it's OP as hell...
- has huge distribution. There are great SR setters in every tier
- easy to fit on a team. Basically every good team has SR
- overcentralising to the max. If you have SR weak pokemon on your team, you probably also have defog or rapid spin support
- low risk, high reward. Spend 1 turn getting up rocks and the opposition will be forced to take the damage or spend a turn removing it

If you're trying to build a truly fair and balanced metagame then SR has to go. But lately, for me at least, a fair and balanced metagame doesn't necessarily mean a better metagame, so I don't really care what happens. It's just... I guess some people have been conditioned into accepting SR that they forgot it's broken as hell.

What if when you switch a rock type in when a opponent uses SR your rock type absorbs them and gains +1 in defense? That way you can still use SR but they arent so easy to set up?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)