Status stall

Hi everyone. being a long time lurker in smogon and learning a lot in the process, i finally thought i should contribute by highlighting my current team to you guys. while it is still a work in progress, the team has been great so far and has allowed me to stall many teams successfully( though sad to say, most victories are through ragequits when they can't break through the defence).

Here is my team

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Protect
This guy here starts and spreads the main status of my team, toxic. That's right. What he does is that , after my initial team preview, i take a look on whether or not it is worth while to lay out the toxic spikes or not, or simply go to other members to lay out the pain. If there is a non-levitating poison pokemon on the other team, i wouldn't set it up initially and would try to get rid of it before setting up. and if there is only one pokemon on the opposing team that would suffer from said poison, i would normally forgo the use of toxic spikes. you must then be wondering, if toxic spikes is not used, then what's the point of forry? well, in many a times, with his ability sturdy, it has allowed me to get off an explosion that ultimately helped saved my team's ass when an opponent has set up. Protect allows for further toxic stalling and rapid spin gets rid of entry hazards that my team doesn't appreciate.

Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast(replaced, initially flare blitz)
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock

Now i know what you are thinking. Lead infernape in this metagame? Are you kidding me? well, just wait and hear me out. With the highlight of my team being toxic stall, fake out actually allows infernape to contribute to this. stealth rock is there because it's stealth rock and stab moves is really all infernape needs because those are wonderful offensive STABs to have. What i mainly use infernape for is as cleanup crew where he comes in on all the weakened mons and just sweeps his way through all of them. he is a beast.

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Yes, physical wall number 2, Gliscor! he is really, at most times an im promtu wall when i need him. at other times, he is an offensive attacker, attacking with dual stabs and at other times, he is aiding the team in, wait for it, toxic stalling. he can spread his own status with fling and also stall with protect to gain health and waste turns.

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

this is my version of vaporeon's special wall. with its awesome hp and special defence, it takes hits like no tomorrow (on the special side anyway) for some calcs, this guy doesn't even die to a specs draco meteor from sazandora, so it can wish that turn and protect to recover most of its health. Best special wall IMO

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

now i have gotten alot of stares for the use of this guy. They go "lol, scarf zone" after i show and use this guy. what he does: takes out steels not named heatran and revenges all water types for me. i am aware that it doesn't support my team in stalling, but he does take out steels that are immune to toxic so that is his niche.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute

Now, this guy, is the boss hands down. he stalls, he spreads status on those that can't be toxiced, and he stalls and shuffles the team to rack up stealth rock and dragon tail damage. now, for those who have never used this guy, i demand that all use this guy. he has won me many a battle with his shuffling.

so guys, you know my team. so tell me my friends? how do i improve it?

Forretress (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin
- Explosion
- Protect

Infernape (M) @ Focus Sash
Trait: Blaze
Hasty Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Fire Blast
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock

Gliscor (M) @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Protect
- Fling
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake

Vaporeon (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Wish
- Protect
- Toxic
- Ice Beam

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 12 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 SDef / 236 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multiscale
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute

Flare Blitz+Focus Sash shouldn't exist.Try the 4th gen standard lead with Fire Blast and close combat,Infernape is know for it's mixed capability.

Good team if it is stall but you should give some attack evs to forretress if your going to use explosion on it because if you didnt know explosion got its affect removed in 5th gen. recommend changing it to spikes so your dragonite can wrack up some more damage other than just stealth rock damage.

Ok. understood. should i ev it in any specific way?
Mmm,hard question.The 4th gen lead nape ran 192 spd EVs to reach 330,because there was basically nothing important between 330 and 346 speed(Infernape's max).But now you have Terrakion sharing Infernape's speed.

If you want to EV Infernape so it can speed tie with band terrakion,it's up to you,but it's sort of silly since a lot of them run scarf and plus you have
Focus sash+Close Combat to beat them(Note that that's only if they are foolish enough to attack a lead nape with terrakion,which is basically suicide.)

So try with 64 Atk/252 SpAtk/192 Spd Naive or Hasty nature first and see if it works for you.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
You're playing Status stall I understood, so why don't you run Sub/Protect Gliscor? It's in every way better than this somewhat strange set.
You can also opt to use Scald on your Vaporeon instead of Ice Beam, so he can take Physical hits better.
I think your team will also struggle against Chansey/Blissey, when Infernape is gone(which will happen most of the time).

You could perhaps use the Sub/Charge Beam set on Magnezone as you could well be doing an awful lot more switches that could rack up a ton of residual damage on your other pokes, reducing their effectiveness at stalling. If Sub/Charge Beam Magnezone traps a Ferrothorn, you could well sweep teams with it after accumulating a a lot of Special Attack boosts from Charge Beam if you have racked up enough stall damage on your opponents.

You could perhaps use the Sub/Charge Beam set on Magnezone as you could well be doing an awful lot more switches that could rack up a ton of residual damage on your other pokes, reducing their effectiveness at stalling. If Sub/Charge Beam Magnezone traps a Ferrothorn, you could well sweep teams with it after accumulating a a lot of Special Attack boosts from Charge Beam if you have racked up enough stall damage on your opponents.
i have tested sub charge magnezone. it is kinda setup fodder considering how the pokemon i'm trapping tend to carry entry hazards, so its not ideal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)