Stallbreaker Mega - Steelix (PEAKED #47 - 1451 ELO)

Stallbreaker Mega - Steelix
PEAKED #47 IN RU LADDER (SirDunkalot)

Hello and welcome to my first ORAS RMT. This specific team is based around Mega - Steelix's stallbreaking moveset. I hope you help me make this team better and also enjoy this team / RMT.

Teambuilding Process

Like I said this team is based around Mega Steelix and his stall breaking set. I was always fascinated by Pokemon that while being defensive and offensive at the same time, could also provide other things to the team instead of dealin' and takin' damage.

I needed something to take Fire, Fighting and Water type moves for good ol' Steelix. Alomomola was the first thing that jumped into mind, as it could also Wish Support Steelix, but that thought was quickly turned down as I needed more than just mindless Scalding and Wish Passing. So I chose Jellicent as it has great recovery without the need of Protect, burn capabilities, is completely immune to Water and it can stop Stall teams with Taunt.

The team looked weak to Dark types, to Knock Off to be more specific. So I thought about adding Cobalion as an Offensive Stealth Rocker that resists Dark types.

Before the Tangrowth here was Druddigon, but due to fran17 's recommendation I switched around Life Orb offensive Druddigon with a more bulky specially oriented attacker in from of Assault Vest Tangrowth that also carries Knock Off for Golbat's and all that stuff which is a move that I love to carry whenever is available. The Fire weakness still remains though...

Although fran17 's Flygon was amazing, the team lacked a cleric. So a Pokemon that can delete status from the team and defog stuff away was Togetic (Thanks ss234). Not only that but it has a decent typing that greatly resists Fighting Types, especially Hitmonlee. Also like Flygon it has reliable recovery.

Lastly I needed something that can deal with Ghost (Dusclops / Jellicent) and Psychic (Delphox / Bronzong) types. Thus the inclusion of Houndoom as it does the things stated above and its also dope looking and one of my favorite Pokes.

The Team
(First I talk about the Pokemon's moveset, then its item / ability and finally its EV Spread)

Steelix (M) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

The Poke that this team is based around. Toxic is there of course as this is a Stallbreaking set that has as a goal to stop Stall and Steelix's counters dead on their tracks. Stealth Rock replaced Roar, which although was an amazing move, it was indirectly hindering Cobalion that had to carry Stealth Rocks instead of Substitute. As offensive moves I have Earthquake for the STAB and for its great accuracy and Heavy Slam because Steelix is heavy as ass and it can deal great amounts of damage to pretty much anything as in the RU tier commonly used Pokes are rather light. The EV Spread leaves Steelix with a lot of HP as a Mega Evolved Pokemon doesn't get an increase in its HP stat, great special bulk and a bit of physical bulk to accompany its already humongous Defense stat.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Scald is standard for most Water types as its 100% accurate and has an amazing 30% chance to burn the opponent. Even if I dont burn the opponent with Scald, I still have Will-O-Wisp to burn the opponent, deal residual damage and increase my physical bulk indirectly if they are physical attackers. Recover is a must have as its an amazing recovery move with no drawbacks and Taunt helps me deal with Pokemon that like to set up or are super stally beyond belief. As for item, Leftovers is of course a must have and Water Absorb instead of Cursed Body (although really useful) comes in handy as it gives me a Water immunity to help Steelix. EV spread is standard for this set, as it gives odd HP number for lefties and enough speed to out speed base 65 Speed Pokes that have no investment.

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Finally this set has Substitute, a move that Cobalion loves to carry because it lets him set up on a lot of Pokes as he is a very fast Pokemon that can easily force switches with Close Combat. Close Combat and Iron Head are the 2 offensive moves that not only give STAB bonuses but also have a rather good coverage together excluding stuff like Delphox. Swords Dance is needed to boost the power of the before stated 2 moves and goes hand in hand with Cobalion's great speed and the Substitute that was included. Leftovers can be switched for a more offensive item like Life Orb or Expert Belt but I like the passive recovery and because we also have Substitute. Nothing much to say about the EV spread, standard physical offensive with max Speed and Jolly.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Unlike Druddigon this Tangrowth is faster, bulkier and can still deal a lot of damage! Leaf Storm is needed as not only it gives a STAB boost but also packs 130 BP which is huge. Knock Off like I said before is an amazing move and I like to have it whenever it is available. Focus Blast is needed to deal with fat Steel Types like Cobalion and Mega Steelix and lastly Sludge Bomb for Fairies and Grass Types. Assault Vest gives Tangrowth some much needed bulk in the special side that it obviously lacks and lets it live a lot of special hits unlike before. The EV spread gives all the power that Tangrowth needs and enough speed to outspeed base 60 speed Pokes like Weezing that only have 4 EVs at speed as an investment. The rest 168 EV go to HP for tankiness and to leave it with an odd number to take minimun damage for hazards.

Togetic @ Eviolite
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Roost
- Defog
- Heal Bell

Like ss234 said my team lacked a cleric. So a Heal Bell Togetic with Defog replaced Flygon. Roost is there as its an awesome recovery move. Seismic Toss gives indirectly damage to Togetic and doesn't let him be set up fodders to Substitute Pokemon or other Pokemon in general, something that Flygon couldn't do if the opposing Pokemon resisted or was immune to Earthquake and didn't care for U-Turn (can be replaced by Dazzling Gleam to do damage to Hitmonlee / Hitmonchan / Scrafty and Ghost Types). The EV Spread is a personal spread that I created that gives more physical bulk but also special bulk to Togetic. The HP investment leaves Togetic with an odd HP number. Eviolite is a must for a defensive NFE Pokemon.

Houndoom @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 220 Atk / 36 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Blast
- Pursuit
- Crunch
I decided that Scarf Houndoom, although really good, came in handy rarely. So I decided to switch to the standard Life Orb set. Sucker Punch is an amazing priority move with great power that lets me check Pokemon like Calm Mind Delphox. Fire Blast for the Fire type coverage and Pursuit to trap Pokemon that don't favor staying in on me, like the previously mentioned CM Delphox. Lastly Crunch that is a reliable Dark type STAB move unlike Sucker Punch. The EV Spread gives the most Speed and enough Special Attack to 2HKO physically defensive Golbat and other physical fat walls (Steelix etc.).

Importable

(So you can try out my team and tell me how much it sucks)
Steelix (M) @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Careful Nature
- Toxic
- Roar
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam

Jellicent @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 216 SpD / 44 Spe
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt

Cobalion @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Flygon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 SpD
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost
Houndoom @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Dark Pulse
- Destiny Bond
- Flamethrower

Honorable Mentions
INSTEAD OF TOGETIC

Flygon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost
I love this set, thanks fran17! Defog is normal as I needed a defogger and Flygon is the fastest Pokemon that can use Defog effectively in RU. U-Turn is there because Flygon because of its typing and power can easily force switches and thus take momentum like Golbat does. Earthquake pretty standard, just plain 100% accurate power (could be replaced by Dragon Claw but I prefer EQ). Lastly Roost for the obvious reason that this is a wall that needs reliable recovery. The EV spread leaves Flygon with an odd HP number to take maximun recovery from lefties, physical and a bit more of special bulk with more EVs and a beneficial nature to help the special side a bit more. Defensive Flygon doesnt really need Speed EVs as it's already fast as crack.

THANKS FOR READING AND PLEASE GIVE ME YOUR OPINIONS!

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi GarchompPit nice team you've got there, but I've some suggestion for you:
  • Stealth Rock over Toxic on Steelix, so you'll have a free spot on Cobalion and you don't really need Toxic.
  • Substitute or Magnet Rise over Stealth Rock on Cobalion, Substitute allows you to setup on status moves, while Magnet Rise allows you to setup on things like Tyrantrum, and it can also remove your ground weakness, especially because you've 3 weakness and 1 resistence.
  • Pursuit and Fire Blast over Overheat and Flamethrower respectively, Pursuit allows you to trap ghost and psychic type mon, while Fire Blast increase your damage output.
  • The last suggestion I have is defensive Flygon and Tangrowth over Druddigon and Golbat. Those changes will allow you to check more threath easily. Flygon will give you hazard control and momentum and Tangrowth will allow you to pivot on hits better and with regenerator it will have enough staying power for during all the match.
Flygon @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Defog
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Roost

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Also for the next rmt try to use sprite taken from there

Last edited:
Hi GarchompPit nice team you've got there, but I've some suggestion for you:
  • Stealth Rock over Toxic on Steelix, so you'll have a free spot on Cobalion and you don't really need Toxic.
  • Substitute or Magnet Rise over Stealth Rock on Cobalion, Substitute allows you to setup on status moves, while Magnet Rise allows you to setup on things like Tyrantrum, and it can also remove your ground weakness, especially because you've 3 weakness and 1 resistence.
  • Pursuit and Fire Blast over Overheat and Flamethrower respectively, Pursuit allows you to trap ghost and psychic type mon, while Fire Blast increase your damage output.
  • The last suggestion I have is defensive Flygon and Tangrowth over Druddigon and Golbat. Those changes will allow you to check more threath easily. Flygon will give you hazard control and momentum and Tangrowth will allow you to pivot on hits better and with regenerator it will have enough staying power for during all the match.
Flygon @ LeftoversAbility: LevitateEVs: 248 HP / 120 Def / 140 SpDCareful Nature- Defog- U-turn- Earthquake- Roost
Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Knock Off
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Also for the next rmt try to use sprite taken from there
First Bulletin: Sorry cant do that as I already tried it and I feel that Toxic is vastly superior as I can deal with a BUTT LOAD of threats and counters and I cant change the nature of my team especially the ''mascot'' of it. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Second Bulletin: This goes with the first bulletin, so yeah, sorry!

Third Bulletin: I will try that! Thanks a lot! I really like the idea of Pursuit trapping especially in RU where Delphox wrecks havoc, although being stuck in pursuit could suck, especially in a late game sweep. Still will try though!

Fourth Bulletin: I will change that according to what you said! I will let you know!

So yeah I will do what you recommended and I will let you know! Thanks a lot buddy, have a nice day!

PS: As for the sprites, WTH happened?! They were perfectly fine yesterday! Gonna fix the ASAP

Last edited:
Sorry for the double post, but due to fran17 's recommendation the team changed a lot! Also I wanted to bump it as well! Thanks fran17 !
(Changed Golbat with Flygon and Druddigon with Tangrowth)!

ss234

bop.
mlix / jelli / coba / tangy / flygon / dog

Hi there. Your team is pretty solid defensively, and covers most things in the metagame. It has a good win condition in sd cobalion, and the defensive core of lix / jelli / coba / tangy / flygon seems very hard to break down. There are a few issues though. I'd put sr on mlix, over either roar or toxic it's preference. Then you can run substitute, taunt or stone edge over sr on cobalion.

The main problem though is it doesn't have the staying power or the offensive synergy to break down stall teams. You have no cleric and you also lack a way to bust open walls for cobalion to sweep, so you lose to any well built stall team. Flygon seems fairly redundant with mlix and tangrowth although the defog is nice - I recommend running togetic over it instead. This way you get to keep defog but you also get cleric support. Running togetic also fixes a nasty weakness to hitmonlee + scrafty - tangrowth is a decent enough check to both but dual fighting cores seem like they'd overpower tangy quite quickly and then win. Toge solves this as it gives a hard counter to fighters such as scrafty, hitmonlee and to an extent viriz(altho sludge bomb tangy deals with that very nicely).

As for the win condition vs. fat teams, a simple change would be running a different set on houndoom. Scarf dog isn't overly weak, but it doesn't have the utility of other scarfers such as flygon. I'd try a LO pursuit trapper houndoom instead - you still cover delphox and you have priority in sucker punch, but importantly you can pursuit trap jellicent or w/e for cobalion to sweep vs. fat teams. Losing the speed gives you a worse matchup against offense but imo it's worth it as otherwise you have no way to beat well built stall squads.

Changes:
Toxic or roar on mlix --> sr
Sr on coba --> Sub or taunt
Flygon --> Togetic
Scarf houndoom --> Pursuit trapper

Gl with the team.

The team changed again because of ss234 's recommendation. Thanks a lot buddy! I also changed a bit the RMT to look more noice :]
I feel like the team now is complete and that it's in the best state that it can be and still hold its original form of stallbreaking Steelix and friends. Again thanks to everyone who helped ( fran17 and ss234 )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)