Project SS PU Next Best Thing - Week 9 (Xatu Submissions)

1. Power Herb
2. Choice Specs
because they use the SpA of Archeops in order to get past some otherwise checks. Unexpected and...they work.

On a side note, I found that CB set isn't that appealing in actual fact because the inability to switch moves hurts a lot.

Last edited:
On a side note, I found that CB set isn't that appealing in actual fact because the inability to switch moves hurts a lot.
It's why CB isn't a standard set tbh. Mostly it just clicks U-turn and hopes to clean up mons late game, but when it comes in on a free it hurts a lot :). Also suffers from 4mss it wants knock as well

Anyways, carrying on: 1 day left to vote!

Well done to Heracross2.0 and his Power Herb Archeops set for winning Week 6 by an absolute landslide!
btw im sry i was like 18 hrs late im really busy lol
Power Herb 6
---------------------
Choice Band 2
Choice Specs 1
Choice Scarf 1
Defog 1
Anti-Stall 1

Only one submission enters the hall of fame this week...

:ss/Archeops:
Archeops @ Power Herb
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Meteor Beam
- Acrobatics
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week we will be making sets for Scrafty!
:ss/Scrafty:
Standard Sets

Deadline for Submissions: Tuesday 2nd February 11.59PM EST
Deadline for Voting: Friday 5th February 11.59PM EST

Good luck!​

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/scrafty:

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry / Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This set uses Scrafty's solid bulk, a potent ToxOff combo, and Intimidate to cripple teams while staying healthy. Dark/Fighting is a pretty underrated defensive typing, being resistant to Rock, Dark, and Ghost, while being neutral to powerful anti-meta typing such as Grass and Water. Importantly, this allows it to be a great Koff sponge, something the tier lacks, while not taking much from Stealth Rock. In forgoing Shed Skin, you are much suspectile to status, so RestTalk is preferred due to a lack of other helpful status moves. For a pivot, the instant recovery of Sitrus is preferred over the smaller recovery in Leftovers, or Rocky Helmet can be used to punish physical attackers even more. Pairs great with PhyDef Aromatisse in order to tank Fighting and Flying hits.

Last edited:
Reserving Super Fang Scrafty (a.k.a. utility Scrafty)

Scrafty @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Super Fang
- Acid Spray
- Toxic
- Foul Play

General idea
Here we have a Scrafty more defensively-oriented than the usual one.
Super Fang is a really good move that cuts the hp of anything it hits, including checks. Foul Play is affected by burn, but is still good towards physical offensive threats, especially those with SD or DD.
Toxic is always a good status move in order to pressure the opponent putting onto it a timer.
Acid Spray is here as utility move to cut the target's SpD by 2, which is useful for your teammate(s).

EVs (spread) and item
A bulky SpD spread is the best because Scrafty has access to Intimidate to fix the physical side of the spectrum.
Leftovers is here for recovery.

Team(mates) support
Wish and hazards support is mandatory to keep this Scrafty at high health.
In return, this Scrafty can cripple the opponent's threats in many ways.

Last edited:
Choice Band Scrafty

1611905673681.png

Scrafty @ Choice Band
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat / High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Head Smash / Dragon Tail / Roar

An old set from ORAS that worked really well then, so here it is now. Though its more known for its defensive capabilities, as a pivot or to set-up, Scrafty has a very decent attack stat on its own, combined with an excellent STAB combination with Knock Off and either CC or Kick (depending on how many times you've missed Kick I guess). Poison Jab is there for those unsuspecting Fairies that think they can switch in. The last move is a bit of choice: Head Smash if you want to hit a Flying type (and you can cope with and/or don't care about the recoil damage), or a phaze move if you think they're switching but not sure what to and want to rack up hazard damage.

SergioRules

||blimp||
is a Community Contributor

Scrafty @ Protective Pads
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Close Combat / Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

A different take on the Dragon Dance set. Protective Pads allow Scrafty to more reliably spam its attacks. Instead of a Lum Berry to offset burn from Talonflame's Flame Body, you ignore the ability completely while getting to Knock Off its Heavy-Duty Boots. Similarly, instead of taking chip from Weezing's Rocky Helmet, Iron Barbs Togedemaru, or a combination of both abilities and items from things like defensive Druddigon and Garbodor and either Knock Off their items or get big damage off with next to no drawback. Close Combat hits significantly harder, but Drain Punch can be used for some recovery since this set lacks Leftovers or Rest Shed Skin

Last edited:
Reserving Substitute

:ss/scrafty:
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off / Throat Chop
- Substitute
- Torment

A fun little Substitute set. Focus Punch hits like a truck and catches a lot of people off guard. Behind a sub you can get it off for free, and Knock Off is good to use to both round out Scrafty's coverage and support your team, but if you can catch Accelgor/Galvantula/other sound move users on the switch with Throat Chop you can get more turns to abuse.

Torment rounds out the set by forcing less offensive pokemon to let you Sub up since they may not have a second move that can break your Sub.

With all the switches Sub can force hazards are a big help. Drain Punch over Focus Punch is probably worth thinking about but Chuck gave me TM01 and what else am I gonna do with it?

Last edited:
Good afternoon on this very nice Thursday. I am very late again as I have been very busy lately so sorry about that.

Anyways, to my submission!

Dragon Tail Scrafty
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Ability: Shed Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Super Fang / Counter​

This Scrafty set is designed to put the pain on the opponent's team and chip it down for other breakers to clean up, being able to force mons out with Dragon Tail, provide good utility with Knock, and put considerable damage on opposing Pokemon with either Super Fang or Counter, all while being able to rest up and keep healthy.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the votes.
Again, everybody votes for 2 submissions and the Top 3 submissions (given they get above 3 votes), will be inducted into the hall of fame.

Links to the posts will be imbedded into the Scrafty sprites in about 12 hours when its not 11pm at night for me.​
ToxOff
Utility
Choice Band
DD + Prot Pads
Substitute
Dragon Tail
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Super Fang
- Acid Spray
- Toxic
- Foul Play​
Scrafty @ Choice Band
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat / High Jump Kick
- Poison Jab
- Head Smash / Dragon Tail / Roar​
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head​
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Adamant Nature
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off / Throat Chop
- Substitute
- Torment​
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Super Fang / Counter​

Remember, no voting for yourself.
My votes are:
1. DD + ProtPads
2. Utility

Last edited:
Hello my friends, after quite a while for voting, we have come to a conclusion.
3 submissions enter the Hall of Fame this week!
Congrats to Heracross2.0 and SergioRules, and uh, me.
Dragon Tail - 6
ToxOff - 5
DD + Pads - 5
----------------------
Utility - 3
Sub - 2
CB - 1
Scrafty @ Leftovers
Careful Nature
- Dragon Tail
- Knock Off
- Rest
- Super Fang / Counter​
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk​
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Knock Off
- Iron Head​

This week we'll have a bit of fun with Aromatisse!
Standard Set

:ss/Aromatisse:

Have fun!
Deadline for Submissions is Sunday 14th February 11.59PM EST​

Specs

Getting in your own way
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
UUPL Champion
:ss/aromatisse:
Aromatisse @ Pixie Plate
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Nasty Plot
- Trick Room
- Moonblast
- Thunderbolt

A similar set was used in SM (for the short time that it was legal) but with Psychic over Tbolt + a Z move. Either way it functions p much the same

You're able to set up either NP or TR (and sometimes even both) on top threats such as Talonflame, Virizion, Choiced Passimian, Archeops, Scrafty, Vaporeon, Guzzlord, Sneasel, and some others.

Tbolt lets you break through Talon and other fairy resists better. Psychic could be an option in that slot but it's super niche to Oko Toxicroak on the switch and doesn't seem worth.

This set seems super dangerous on paper. They don't know you're offensive to begin with, and if they make one wrong move once they do know the set they could be face to face with a +2 Aromatisse with Trick Room up. Nothing meta breaking but this seems p fun to mess around with this gen. Spdef Toge becoming more popular hinders its potential a ton, but that goes for every Aromatisse set so cant knock this one too much. Hope you try and enjoy it

Last edited:

Hera

Make a move before they can make an act on you
is a Social Media Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
PUPL Champion
:ss/aromatisse:

Aromatisse @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I encountered this set during the suspect test. Someone was using it and I ended up getting washed by it (I think their name was Showtime or something), and I was pretty surprised by it so I "borrowed" it and changed up the set a bit. Bulky setup sweepers are very popular in the tier, and catching somebody off guard by boosting with CM and then Resting is great. It sets up on stuff like Talonflame, Scrafty, Passimian (most of them have to choose between Gunk and Slide so you're usually fine), Palossand, Vaporeon, other Aromatisse, Guzzlord...and that's just stuff higher than A. Fairy has no types that it is immune to, making it a prime user for a single-STAB setup sweeper. Aroma Veil means it can't be Taunted, and Fairy-typing means the most common phazing move, Dragon Tail, is not effective, which means the only way to remove CM Aromatisse is via a physical Steel or Poison move, which are uncommon and can be dealt with by teammates. Overall a solid set and a good bulky setup sweeper.

Last edited:

wooper

heavy booty-doots
is a Forum Moderator
1612934897293.png

Aromatisse @ Choice Specs
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SpA / 172 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball / Toxic / Misty Explosion​

aromatisse really doesnt have much going for it besides the aforementioned calm mind + nasty plot, so i settled on specs. pretty self-explanatory: moonblast is your stab coming off 99 base sp attack; psychic hits poison types, ohkos weezing, and 2hkos max hp talonflame; and thunderbolt ohkos max hp talonflame and is a neutral hit vs steels that otherwise wall you unless your name is wishtect spdef togedemaru. the last slot wont be used much so it can be tailored to your needs: energy ball hits spdef lanturn mostly, toxic for switch-ins, and misty explosion for a bit more power when you need it. 172 speed lets it outspeed univested base 50s and below

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)