SS OU SS OU Team Building Help

Here is my OU team. I reached pretty high ladder with it peaking around 1600. The team works best when toxic spikes are on the field and heatran can benefit from grassy terrain recovery. The slow u-turn support from some of the walls and rillaboom help bring in dragapult to clean up KOs. Any suggestions on how to improve this team are appreciated.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 232 SpD / 24 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Taunt
- Protect

Heatran is a crucial part of the team and is important to keep healthy. It works very well with toxic spikes and grassy terrain. Opponents take residual damage from magma storm and toxic while Heatran recovers health each turn with leftovers and terrain. It is especially easy to recover health with the u turn support of this team. Taunt is for teleport users like slowking.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Toxic

Landorus provides additional utility. Stealth rock damage is appreciated by dragapult and rillaboom for easier KOs. Toxic is ran on Landorus to poison opponents that are unaffected by toxic spikes who can be trapped by heatran. STAB earthquake and u turn support are great for opposing heatran and to bring in the other team members safely. Intimidate is also a huge bonus.

Rillaboom @ Choice Band
Ability: Grassy Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Grassy Glide
- Wood Hammer
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Banded Rillaboom is here to wallbreak and to set up terrain for Heatran. I opted for a banded set over swords dance because I could consistently set up terrain and hit powerful u turns. Although Rillaboom is mostly here to support heatran, it is also a powerful wallbreaker with priority in grassy glide and has the ability to change terrains. Wood Hammer also OHKOs Clefable which is awesome.

Dragapult @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn
- Flamethrower

Dragapult is for securing KOs and wallbreaking. This is mostly late game cleanup after damage from toxic, magma storm, and rocks. Flamethrower is for Ferrothorn but also works well against Corviknight, Weavile, and Kartana. Dragapult appreciates being brought in by u turn from Corviknight and Landorus.

Toxapex @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Knock Off
- Recover
- Haze
- Toxic Spikes

Toxapex is the main defensive wall of the team. Toxic spikes as mentioned before works very well with Heatran and helps weaken opponents for Rillaboom and Dragapult to finish off. Knock off is useful here to get rid of heavy duty boots which would prevent spikes from damaging. Haze is great utility to prevent the opponent from setting up on Toxapex and sweeping. Rocky helmet is for additional damage and is ran over black sludge because recover and regenerator typically provide enough recovery.

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpD
Impish Nature
- Body Press
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Corviknight is primarily the team defogger but also is amazing utility with slow u turn. The slow speed of Corviknight is beneficial because Corviknight can tank a hit and then safely bring in whatever it wants with u turn. Defog is appreciated because spikes can do a ton of damage to Heatran. Body press is great for opponents like Kyurem, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Corviknight also walls Rillaboom and Kartana very well which is great because Kartana will have trouble taking advantage of the terrain.

Last edited:
Some of my concern is that there is no set-up moves such as dragon dance. I'm not sure if this is necessarily a problem (especially with haze on pex) but it seemed important.

Some of my concern is that there is no set-up moves such as dragon dance. I'm not sure if this is necessarily a problem (especially with haze on pex) but it seemed important.
since your team depends on alot of switching out i dont think that a set up move would benefit you in any way + as you said your toxapex have haze.

Have you thought about giving dragapult or rillaboom life orb so they can attack and then switch out with u-turn?
Maybe switch out stealth rock with defog on landorus and defog on corviknight for tailwind or iron defense?
I might be overrating tailwind since I usually play doubles, but iron defense would both give a stronger body press and protect against physical attacks.

Have you thought about giving dragapult or rillaboom life orb so they can attack and then switch out with u-turn?
Maybe switch out stealth rock with defog on landorus and defog on corviknight for tailwind or iron defense?
I might be overrating tailwind since I usually play doubles, but iron defense would both give a stronger body press and protect against physical attacks.
I considered life orb on Rillaboom but I decided against it to keep Rillaboom healthy for terrain setup. I don't know if tailwind would be beneficial since my team is not too dependant on speed but iron defense is an interesting idea. I'm not sure if it is worth removing stealth rocks though. Maybe I would replace toxic for it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)