OU SS OU Secret Santa 2023

pulsar512b

ss ou fangirl
is a Pre-Contributor
All the pairings are out! Remember, post your finished team & tag who you built it for. I would encourage everyone to try to build a completely new team for this (definitely don't just grab something from your builder that fits the requirements, that breaks the spirit)

Happy building! the deadline is the 31st

Some of you have backup options if you don't think you can reasonably build around what your recipient originally requested - I would prefer you submit something with the original and only resort to the backup if you arent getting anywhere

Slowpoke Fan

Slow?
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributor
RMT Leader
shadowtime2000 I got your request and here is the team (click on the sprites for the paste!):

The concept of this team is simple: Raikou is one of the few electric type Pokemon that can cripple almost any ground type with its access to both scald and toxic. By pairing it with great ground type checks in Tornadus-Therian, Ferrothorn and Rillaboom that are annoyed by things that Raikou threatens (e.g. Zapdos, opposing Tornadus-Therian, etc), either side can run riot once opposing checks are cleared or crippled. Specially defensive Garchomp acts as a sturdier Zapdos check (as well as a reliable Heatran/Volcarona switch-in) as the latter only receives neutral damage from electric type attacks and can wear down the leopard while Blaziken adds to the aforementioned dynamic as a dangerous late-game sweeper whose checks are threatened by Rillaboom and Ferrothorn (grass type attacks only deal neutral damage to Toxapex, but it is only relegated to fishing for scald burns or engaging in a knock off handshake against Ferrothorn as the latter is immune to poison, not to mention that Raikou threatens the Crown-of-Thorns with its STAB electric moves). Taunt on Tornadus-Therian greatly annoys Pokemon that rely on status moves to cripple their switch-ins so its teammates can switch in safely, with the bonus effect of blocking recovery moves against more passive builds.

Replays:
vs
Ox Hail: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2014976861
vs stall: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2014982486
vs hyper offence: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2014992336?p2

The ELO range might be a bit lower than ideal, but all of the teams faced in the replays are quite viable in tournaments (the hyper offence team might be a bit weird even for that archetype, but that is the nature of the style in this tier). I hope this team can be that for you!

Last edited:

cyberacc

formerly Suckingmoreducks
Happygate was the one who requested Slowbro and I felt privy to give my thoughts on how I perceive the Torn T + Slowbro pairing in SS OU and some of my personal ideas on what Slowbro + Torn T should actually facilitate in SS.

Tornbro, but it actually does something.:slowbro: :tornadus-therian::tapu-lele: :landorus-therian: :urshifu-rapid-strike: :heatran:

An issue I have always held with the standard Regencore of Slowbro and Torn T is that the teams you commonly see in tour play and on ladder that utilize the core are not actually focused on a concise way to win; They're built with that asinine stereotype of SS OU in mind ("knock off Regenerator u turn future sight is broken") but don't actually do anything to push for a victory with that absurdly safe pivoting in mind. This team was built to facilitate a big nuisance for opposing offenses (Scarf-Shifu), a big stupid button masher (Specs-Lele) and an annoying rocker that can help to eliminate and pressure problematic match ups like Stall or Bulky Offense (Heatran).

The lineup is incredibly standard with some personal caviats and flexibility options highlighted by the slashes:
- :tapu-lele:
Leles coverage when it is Choice Specs is incredibly flexible and can at times feel entirely random since its' best tool across the board is to just.. Smash Psychics or Psyshocks into the opponent, lol. Thunderbolt nails the odd specially defensive Corviknight and can flat out kill most waters in the tier, Focus Blast will annihilate Ferrothorn and Melmetal, Shadow Ball will demolish Stall hard checks like Shedinja, Mew or Jirachi. Pick whichever you think is best and it will probably work well.
- :tornadus-therian: :landorus-therian:
Two defoggers might seem excessive but in my personal experience a big annoyance I have with Bro + Torn is that unless you're pairing it with something that ubiquitously does not give a shit about hazards like Clefable or something that can give your team obscene levels of vamping like Rillaboom you're going to end up in scenarios where your big stupid button mashers will die over time while the Slowbro and Torn T core ends up staying alive without anything actually happening. Depending on preference you can always swap movesets around on the Torn T or Landorus Therian to fit your preference as a player; Toxic-> Defog on Torn T is good to piss off Zapdos reliant teams, Knock off-> Defog on Landorus is always good to remove Heavy Duty Boots. Its' players choice really, and I chose Defog on both.
-:urshifu-rapid-strike:
A standard logistical fit here on most Torn T+ Slowbro teams is Pads or Choice Band Urshifu but the speed of this team is incredibly tacid and there's no real out for the team in case someone plays their Weavile well without Shifu as the scarfer. Scarf Shifu can also be incredibly difficult to actually read off of preview and can surprise players expecting the standard Band or Pads which can save your ass against some problematic line ups such as Gking + Weavile.
-:heatran:
Protect Heatran while admittedly poor into some of the more standardized checks like Gastrodon and Knock Off shed shell Toxapex felt like it was a necessity here to give you something to hard scout Dragapults and absorb future sights. It also appreciates the hazard game being completely null and void to leverage even more regen off of Leftovers. Toxic -> Protect gives you more concise match ups against Bulky Offenses but I felt like this team really appreciates Heatran living for longer. Flash Cannon / Taunt -> Protect is also good in case you want to ruin Clefables day. You could fully hone in on Heatran being a wallbreaker by slotting Protect / Toxic / Earth Power / Magma Storm and making Landorus Therian the Stealth Rock Setter. Seeing as Heatran to me is not supposed to do anything but its' given job here l I felt it was a bit too greedy in the draft but it is up to player preference on what you want the fire toad to do.

Example replay of the given 6 with Protect and Toxic Heatran.

I thank pulsar512b for her pointers and metagame knowledge in helping me build this team; Most people know me for my Stall builds but I felt like doing something different this time around and hone in on the offensive pressure that can be forced with the well known structure of BroTorn.

Last edited:

dex

Give my perception as a handle of weapon
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
RTM

At first, your request for me to build with Mienshao was a great challenge. The mon is not good when Urshifu exists. However, I asked myself, "What does Mienshao have that Urshifu doesn't?" Well, it doesn't care about small chip like hazards, weather, and Rocky Helmet because of Regenerator, and it is faster. This led me to believe that a Choice Scarf set was Mienshao's best chance at doing something distinguishable from Urshifu. However, 9 out of 10 times, Mienshao will leave you asking yourself, "Why? There are so many good Pokemon in SS OverUsed, why did I pick this weird cat dog thing?" Wow, it's a Mienshao.

Importable: :ss/mienshao::ss/excadrill::ss/tyranitar::ss/ferrothorn::ss/rotom-wash::ss/tornadus-therian:

This team takes advantage of all of Mienshao's positive traits. It doesn't care about weather, so we run sand. It doesn't care about hazard chip, so our removal can be something less consistent, in this case, Choice Band Excadrill. It likes being fast, how about we make it our speed control when Sand isn't up? You'll notice that this team is pretty much just an amalgamation of "Generic Good SS OU Sand" with bits and pieces taken from a bunch of teams, but Mienshao makes it "special" (I guess). I take no credit for the sets.

:bw/Mienshao:
1703092231776.png
:bw/Mienshao:
The star of the show, the Mobius of the Loki, the Lightning McQueen of the Cars, Mienshao is the team's speed control and fast pivot, inhabiting a sort of tweener role between Dragapult and Urshifu. The most notable thing about it is that it can pressure Dragapult with an OHKO from Knock Off, making it a somewhat OK thing to lead. The extra Speed over, say, Choice Scarf Urshifu, is really nice sometimes, letting it beat hail (which this team already does) and random stuff like +1 Volcarona and Nihilego. Stone Edge I think is better than Poison Jab specifically for Volcarona, and it can also lead to some surprise KOs, having a 50% chance to OHKO max HP Tornadus-T. All in all, just a mediocre mon doing its best.

:bw/excadrill:
1703092531540.png
:bw/excadrill:
Mienshao's little helper and best friend, Excadrill gives the team actual breaking and sweeping capabilities. Because Mienshao doesn't care too much about hazards, Excadrill can kind of get away with a Choice Band set, which lets it do some obscene things like OHKOing Gastrodon. Mienshao often will force in stuff like Clefable or Toxapex which Excadrill can absolutely munch on. It is also the team's main win condition, so play carefully with it.

:bw/Tyranitar:
1703092392515.png
:bw/Tyranitar:
Mienshao's teacher in how to perform in OU, Tyranitar gives the team sand, a Ghost resistance, and a Psychic immunity. We are running Choice Band here because we need a means to break Corviknight and generate actual, meaningful damage for Excadrill. Fire Punch and Ice Punch cover the most ground, landing big hits on stuff like Ferrothorn and Landorus-T. Fire Punch is particularly good for having a consistent move to 2HKO Corviknight with.

:bw/ferrothorn:
1703092499896.png
:bw/ferrothorn:
Mienshao's kinda friend but not really just some guy it knows, Ferrothorn gives the team a much, much-needed answer to Weavile. It also gives the team Stealth Rock and Knock Off support, which is super helpful for chipping things into range of a Excadrill Mienshao sweep. Power Whip is necessary because Tapu Fini exists, so if you face one, make sure to keep your Ferro alive and well, as Rotom-W just isn't enough for Tapu Fini. Ferrothorn is also the team's best Melmetal answer, but you should also scout it Tornadus-T for Superpower, and Rotom-W is also a good backup option for this.

:bw/rotom-wash:
1703092579363.png
:bw/rotom-wash:
Mienshao's supportive buddy, SpD Rotom gives the team a secondary Melmetal answer and a general slow pivot, which is exceedingly helpful given Mienshao's terrible bulk. It also is the team's only real way to deal with bulkier Dragonite sets and is very nice for stuff like offensive Garchomp which might scare Ferrothorn away. Will-o-Wisp could be swapped here for Thunder Wave, which hits some notable stuff like Clefable, or even Toxic, which is great against Zapdos, it's really up to you.

:bw/tornadus-therian:
1703092774704.png
:bw/tornadus-therian:
Mienshao's idol, Tornadus-T gives the team a means to deal with all Kartana under the sea (grass? road? weird dojo?). It also performs the role of actually switching into Dragapult (shocker) with Assault Vest. Knock Off is nice for Mienshao and Excadrill to sweep later, U-turn gets our big three Choice item users in, and it's always nice for sand teams to have a very consistent Corviknight switch. It's a Tornadus-T, it's pretty much always gonna be good in SS OU.

Threats:
There's always a Chick Hicks around to ruin the show, and that is actually quite a few things for this team. Blaziken is not allowed to set up; you have to play exceedingly carefully around that mon because +2/+2 Blaziken essentially just wins. Zapdos is very annoying, as our Ground-type loses to it, so if it carries Volt Switch, you may need to make some hard reads. Just general balance is tough, Clefable as always is gonna be hard. Perhaps the biggest threat is Life Orb Low Kick Weavile, cause that essentially gets a KO every time it touches the field, and if it gets to +2, you just lose! But, this is the price we pay to use our shao-y boi.

Conclusion:
Now you may ask, why all the Cars references? The answer is quite simple. Cars is a fuckin goofy movie, just as Mienshao is a goofy ass choice to use in SS OU. Have fun, and drive safe.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016028739-p5e8l0tnizplp8fb8rsrutek3kbgdwkpw vs. Ikaishi (sorry, brother)​

giove97 team for you:

Paste: https://pokepast.es/17bea4602867db7c

This team has a classic structure of mine: 3 slow pivots (2 of them having Defog) and 3 insane breakers.
Moltres has amazing Special Attack and actual movepool to use it with Specs. Scorching Sands covers Heatran while Ancient Power threatens Volcarona without the risk to miss a Hurricane.
Landorus clears Hazards, checks electrics, soft-checks Heatran, Pult, Kartana... well, everything and slowly pivots out to help some of our threats to come in.
Primarina has one of the best defensive typings of the game, which allows it to check both Weavile and Watershifu at the same time, also absorbing status from Mons like Heatran and not allowing Garchomp to boost speed with Scale Shot (decently checking it too). With Restalk it has longevity.
Scizor is immune to Toxic and checks Lele very well. It also Defogs and can switch into Grass Mons like Rillaboom and Kartana a couple of times (or more if it manages to use Roost.
Weavile outspeeds almost the whole Meta. SD Weavile is very overrated, Band with 2 Defoggers on the other hand is really good. Icicle Crash is the more reliable (and haxy) Ice move, but Triple Axel is good when you know opponent will switch out or when he is behind a Sub.
Finally, Dracozolt is the other weird Mon of the team. It resists Water, Electric and Flying, meaning it checks pretty well Zapdos in particular and rain in general. It also atracts Ground Mons, so you can double switch to Weavile or smash them with Band Outrage. If somehow the opposing Ground Mon falls while Dracozolt is still alive and has in front of it something slower, powerful Bolt Beaks are coming. It requires a very good prediction, but its easier to predict offensively than it is to predict defensively, at least in my opinion.

Some replays.

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016127013-fxzg2px0ttn97dae87okbhlu6g7lu2upw < Boring balanced team broken by Moltres.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016148224-68eofe4rlcgo94kmxn97e39ogux5raypw < Opponent didn,t scout Moltres and lost Heatran as a result. Dracozolt manages to kill a Pex before opposing Lando falls.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016153220-tgf50sbn46t12n4jrrd8km7j9wvcrq2pw < Shedistall destroyed by good Dracozolt predictions.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016175658-uaxkevus8rxca54wbdxck2ha31sv8lrpw < Moltres on cheat mode. Hurricane didn,t miss once, so the opponent had really no chance.
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016210054-qs2uev56nx0bqnrz9to0ib64ed51izdpw < Both Hurricane and opposing Magma Storm miss a lot, but Hurricane has more PPs. In the end the opponent predicted wrongly against Weavile, losing the Gastro. This opened the Bolt Beak SPAM way.

Hi everyone ttnbalder here. First of all to anyone who has farmed shedinja lover on ladder i call hax!!!!!! nah but seriously ggwp to all of you my agony pushes me to do better so I need a reality check sometime. (The reality check is fighting another weather team for the 5th game in a row.)

Bored Pikachu this for you

TEAM:
:Moltres-Galar: :Blacephalon: :Ninetales-Alola: :Garchomp: :Kartana: :Volcarona:
Import: https://pokepast.es/d23dfba664608048

So it's just your typical veil HO team, piloting it isn't very hard you for the most part just lead alotails set up screen then go for the hypnosis or whatever and do your silly HO things :3 but yea. I'll go over what each mon does and stuff now I guess.

:Moltres-Galar: - The mon the team was built around chesto resto goltres. specifically rest.It just yk nps up then clicks rest when low and then does the silly thing called flinch haxing your opponent and they will be so happy for you!
:Blacephalon: - This set is to take advantage of the fact blaceph is a se attack magnet and knocks and eps and junk don't kill it behind screens so you just cm once or twice get hit by a se attack then just drop a fat stored power boost your speed then sweep
:Ninetales-Alola: - This is straight forwards you just do your typical screens lead stuff with it.
:Garchomp: - sd scale shot.It does what mega chomp wanted to do laugh at the fact mega chomp is slow. It's the standard set so fire fang is for birds and ferro while is awesome.
:Kartana: - it click swords dance then it kill :3
:Volcarona: - Bulky qd behind screens. Do I really need to say more?

Replay: Its gonna be one replay because like anyone can pilot this team
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016816421-rv0iezk5rsdsxs0sgaebxw8gjut65t5pw

Anyhow thanks for reading and stuff bye. and go check out my shed stall guide. Please I desperately need clout to pick up internet women.

NeonJolteonWasUsed Happy Holidays!

Importable: :ss/clefable: :ss/toxapex: :ss/gastrodon: :ss/aegislash: :ss/buzzwole: :ss/tornadus-therian:

I don't know about you, but the first team that comes to mind when I think of Aegislash in SS OU was the ABR semi-stall from DLC1. It was one of my favorite teams to use, and I was inspired to build a semi-stall team with Aegislash in the modern metagame. Shoutouts to cyberacc, the SS stall master, for helping me build this.

:ss/clefable:
Clefable has a lot of roles for this team; it is the hazard setter, knock absorber, status absorber, and cleric for the team. It also checks Dragapult.

:ss/toxapex:
Toxapex does Toxapex things on this team, scald, knock off, be a decent physical check, etc. Shed Shell is very important in order to not get trapped by Heatran.

:ss/gastrodon:
Gastrodon is our Electric-type check, Future Sight absorber, and acts as another Heatran answer. I decided to go with Storm Drain over Sticky Hold to do better into Water-type wallbreakers such as Urshifu-Rapid-Strike.

:ss/aegislash:
Aegislash serves as a soft-check to Tapu Lele, and can wallbreak with the combination of Toxic, and its strong Shadow Ball.

:ss/buzzwole:
Buzzwole is another physical check for the team, checking Pokémon such as Rillaboom, Kartana, Weavile. Against Ferrothorn teams, you may want to lead this Pokémon in order to deny hazards.

:ss/tornadus-therian:
Tornadus-Therian serves as another check to Rillaboom and Kartana, and it is also a win condition with Taunt and Nasty Plot.

Replays:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016794338 - vs Shadow Ball Tapu Lele. I don't know how I won this matchup honestly.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-2016800587 - vs Shed Stall. With some good prediction (and hax), Aegislash can become a stallbreaker.

I hope you enjoy this team!
image-2.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)