SS OU SS OU Rain THUNDER-WIND Brothers team (Dual Therian Team)

This RMT is not so much for show, but as the title and the term state, simply Rate My Team. This is a team I have been using for sometime, I have went on a couple of winning sprees and I really like the team and its offense, not too much blocks it currently and the unique matches and surprise give it a nice kick.

Firstly, I wanted to state the building process for myself.

1. I see the team idea.
2. I steal the team idea.
3. I make my own version.

In all honesty, the original team idea came from a fight I won against a rain team with the same combination of Thundurus, Tornadus, Barraskewda, and Pelipper. The core itself wasn't working well, but I knew that with some work on the last two mons it could function.

Firstly, I need to describe the functions of the mons.

Thundurus:

Thundurus-Therian (M) @ Magnet
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunder
- Volt Switch
- Weather Ball
- Sludge Bomb

Thundurus functions as a powerful air-ground resistant and electric immunity unit and a strong answer hitter by itself, making it such a good unit. As of right now, not much truly answers it in combination with the mons of the team, which is what makes it a such a good breaker.

To explain its set, I have to look at its usage. Thundurus as mentioned above is a good breaker, but some walls are more common than others for it. These include: Clefable, Ferrothorn, Blissey, Landorus-T, and Hippowdon (to mention, these are only listed from the common answers). On a typical Tornadus set, Focus Blast is most common. It allows it to answer mons like Blissey, Ferrothorn, and the forgetfully unmentioned Urshifu, Melmetal, Excadrill, etc. However, with this set, we run Sludge Bomb. This may seem counter intuitive, but there is a rational explanation. The rest of the team functions off of pure power, whereas Thundurus- although purposed more offensively- is used for status at times. Opponents switch in to answers for Focus Blast, such as Clefable or Blissey (which otherwise completely wall and sets up on Thundurus). However, with Sludge Bomb there is a given super effective hit on Clefable who expects an easy switch-in, or for Blissey, who can tank a focus blast, a potential poison chance and forceout. This works against other answers like Lando-T and Hippowdon as well. The main aspect of this team is wearing down and getting KOes, so having something to force switching and denying setup is critical. Lastly, we need to explain the Magnet, which is fairly simple. The team needed a way of keeping Thundurus for max longevity while still giving it power to its STAB from electric type moves, so the change was fairly obvious from the original LO on the OG users set.

Tornadus:

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Defog

Overall, Tornadus is far more simply explained than Thundurus. A Regenerator mon which tanks hard hits, gives the team potential to stall out, and helps with momentum. The Hurricane is the main thing I saw potential for as soon as I saw it on the opponent's team. Similar to Thundurus, Tornadus can be used to chance a Confusion onto the opposong mons and with 100% accuracy in rain and with high pp and power even with 0 IVs invested in SpA. The main difference, however, was that the Tornadus used in the original team was offensive. I decided to form more of a core with Utility Tornadus.

Pelipper:

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Weather Ball
- U-turn
- Roost
- Hurricane

Pelipper is just as easy to explain as Tornadus. A solid Rain choice with good typing, recovery, and movepool who's team archetype is very good as of right now, due to the shift in the meta since Pheromosa's ban. The main reason I ran with this set was in part due to the team relying on Ferrothorn's Paralysis or Thundurus's 30% poison chance on Sludge Bomb (Paralysis Ferro is later explained). Pelipper functions similarly to the other momentum of the team, carry high power moves, heal, switch out. Nothing much else to say on this set, it is quite simple. The only note I have for Pelipper is that in general, be careful as to keep it healthy. It is the lifeblood of the team, and if it dies, your likelyhood of winning decreases dramatically.

Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 80 Def / 176 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Thunder Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed

The solid bulk of the team and a huge help to the momentum, stall, and overall power of the team. Its main role is to setup rocks and paralyze, but the other- and arguably more common role- of Ferrothorn is to use the TW and Leech Seed plus Iron Barbs to your advantage and seep away at threats to the team. It out-stalls stall mons, sets up on paralysis nicely, and in general provides a whole list of issues for your opponent that most current rain teams don't.

Barraskewda:

Barraskewda, similar, if not equal to Urshifu in the value of the team on setup matches. Its STAB CB and access to HAX on Liquidation, Aqua Jet priority, Flip Turn momentum, and Close Combat checks to mons like Urshifu, Ferrothorn, Melmetal, etc. make it a massive threat. Not to mention its added speed, which under rain outdoes Unburden Hawlucha, who in my opinion, has become the OU tier's highest threat. Hawlucha's second highest speed in the tier with unburden is almost unmatched by others between its stat boosts from seed variants and Swords Dance, as well as its utility in its access to Substitute, Taunt, U-turn, and many others. Its typing which gives its two best moves STAB hits extremely hard, even on walls, and almost nothing aside from those walls survives the +1 Def +2 Atk click from Close Combat or Acrobatics (as from sash mons, who can revenge kill). Of course its conditional, however for these reasons I value Barraskewda highly on this team and see it as a necessity for rain teams in the current meta.

Urshifu:

Urshifu @ Black Glasses
Ability: Unseen Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Bulk Up
- Close Combat
- Wicked Blow

The best surprise attack mon of the team, and its hardest check to ghost and psychic type threats. Currently, the meta is geared towards CB Urshifu, being as it is so strong, it is understandable as to why. However, when I put together the core of Ferrothorn, I recognized the potency of forcing switchouts and saw an opportunity. If Urshifu is seen as a huge check to many mons of the OU, then why run more momentum off of CB + U-Turn if many of Urshifu's threats are checked by a choice-dependent- item Urshifu? The surprise of setting up amd being able to multi-click Wicked Blow, CC, or Sucker Punch means shutdowns to several mons in a given team, and possibly whole teams.

Now given all of these, I can show as to why I chose Ferrothorn and Urshifu to fill the final roles, aside from what was obviously explained in their places as a team.

Ferrothorn:

Ferrothorn offers great coverage under rain, checking fast mons, taking huge chunks out of Urshifu, Scpectrier, Tapu Koko, and other speed strategies with Sassy Gyro Ball and TW, yet again, Leech Seed stalling. It also pairs well with Tornadus due to its weakness to Fighting, at which Tornadus is the best response with Regenerator and a variety of move that give it the utility to shutdown mons like CB Urshifu.

Urshifu is a huge threat in the current OU, Answering stall walls and setup like Ferrothorn, Slowbro, Slowking, Glowking, and Heatran. It also shuts down other Urshifu, Dragapult, Spectrier, and deals heavy damage to switch-ins with STAB on Black Glasses Wicked Blow, or a base STAB CC. This allows for momentum on the other mons of the team, who use chipping to get in Thundurus or Urshifu once again reliably to pick up KOes if they cannot already do so themselves. The typing also helps, having a weakness to Fairy allows for coverage from Ferrothorn to setup as most fairy types cannot setup on it without being punished by HP draining, Gyro Ball, or TW. The fighting weakness from Shifu and Ferrothorn make for more reliability on the flying types, and setup back into sweepers like Barraskewda or Urshifu (yet again). Really, if you prefer to use CB, it picks up more momentum and hits harder, but you lose the ability to still hit hard and multi-click moves to destroy Urshifu stalls as nothing else in the team really helps clear them.

Apologies, my post accidentally uploaded, but it will be completed soon. Thank you.

Edits:

Obviously finished, thanks for not messaging the crap out of the post.

Also, apparently some of the text got deleted, like the sets for Barra, just take the context of the set mentioned if you would. Apologies for the trouble with that, it is a bit of a mess. Thanks, mobile.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)