Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
Electric spam does seem very viable right now, there just aren’t that many good electric immunities in OU, and none the viable ones have reliable recovery. Regieleki generates so much pressure just by existing, and Koko provides so much utility + electric terrain for more pressure on the other team. Overall I think it’s a playstyle that should be explored more in depth, but what do y’all think?
I built an Electric spam team a while ago, and it's served me really well, mostly because of how consistently good Nature's Madness Tapu Koko is at forcing immediate, heavy-handed pressure against Electric- checks in Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, and even Hippowdon with proper support (such as that of Toxic/Toxic Spikes, which makes it extremely hard for Hippowdon to last long enough to check both Electric-types even with Slack Off). However, I would definitely suggest using Zeraora as your secondary Electric-type over Regieleki, as Zeraora provides teams both with an added Electric-immunity, Knock Off support, and is considerably more potent at cleaning teams than Regieleki on a game-to-game basis since Close Combat covers the difference against Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Blissey. Zeraora's immunity to Electric-type moves is especially of note since Tapu Koko is good at alleviating pressure into Zapdos and Tornadus-T, which means Zeraora can come into Electric-type moves a bit more consistently than usual, and that can mean being able to forego a Ground-type entirely on the right structure. Electric spam also takes great advantage of extremely powerful wallbreakers able to exploit Ground-types, such as Air Balloon Heatran, especially when paired with pivoting support to dish out the pain.

If you want to give it a shot, you can try the team here.

I'm using bulk up zeraora but I don't have access to knock off on it. Assuming that knock off is not an option what is the next best thing when the other moves are plasma fist and close combat?
Toxic is fine if you absolutely need a replacement on cartridge as it plays directly to the Ground-type pressure that makes Zeraora a strong option in spite of its difficulty playing into Ground-types, but as Smashburn said, Knock Off is a non-negotiable option for maximizing Zeraora's value since Knock Off is how Zeraora limits recovery from Ground-types (mainly Landorus-T) that check it. For the future, please post questions like this in our SQSA thread!

Electric spam does seem very viable right now, there just aren’t that many good electric immunities in OU, and none the viable ones have reliable recovery. Regieleki generates so much pressure just by existing, and Koko provides so much utility + electric terrain for more pressure on the other team. Overall I think it’s a playstyle that should be explored more in depth, but what do y’all think?
I've been running a lot of Raichu-A + Koko as of late and from my experience on mid-ladder (~1550 elo) it's pretty good. It requires a team built around the two to really shine though, as nearly every team has an electric immunity, either in Ground types or Zeraora. That said, the most common ground mons in OU lack reliable recovery since Hippo fell off quite heavily, so it's pretty easy to break through Chomp or Lando as they often have to come in for more than just your electric types, which results in taking chip damage from hazards, iron barbs/rough skin, toxic, etc etc.

I reckon other electrics like Eleki or Zapdos can perform equally if not better than Raichu, but I've not tried out builds that have them over Raichu. Also, it's pretty neat to run electric coverage on mons like Urshifu because they get boosted by electric terrain which helps nail Fini or Pex harder.

Overall I think electric spam is pretty good rn. Here's the team I've been using if anyone wants to try it out

It's possible that it felt to me as if espam is pretty good because I'm playing vs people who underestimate the importance of their ground mon in the matchup and throw it out too easily, or people who don't see things like aqua tail chomp to lure lando, so take this with a grain of salt:wo:

Eleki is very funny and better than it was once thought to be because of the immediate pressure it puts, but for a Koko partner I really do think I'd rather just use Zapdos (even if it's an airborne pokemon lol ik) or especially Zeraora because it doesn't feel like it's 5v6 until the ground dies whereas Eleki's spinning can actually kind of mess up your momentum sometimes since it doesn't offer much until lategame, and for a lategame cleaner there's also a bunch of deadly setup sweepers floating around if you move out of the electric spam core. It's super fun to use though and I love seeing how much a single volt switch does

So as of semi-recently, Air Balloon+Eruption Heatran has gone from being an uncommon but solid anti-meta pick to one of Heatran's best and most commonly-run sets on the ladder due to its ability to punish slower Lando-T, especially since it generally just hits ridiculously hard. Similarly, Beat Up went from a niche but viable option on Banded Weavile to becoming debatably its best set recently.

So this got me thinking; are there any commonly-accepted metagame staples that have niche sets that might end up picking up steam either on the high ends of the ladder or in tournament play recently, and have there been other similar metagame shifts of this nature recently? What might some of those new sets or coverage options be?

I'm using bulk up zeraora but I don't have access to knock off on it. Assuming that knock off is not an option what is the next best thing when the other moves are plasma fist and close combat?
If this is in Sword and Shield on cartridge, just run either Throat Chop or Play Rough and take the L vs Landorus. You aren't getting Toxic or Knock Off legitimately unless you transfer from a gen 7 game.

I built an Electric spam team a while ago, and it's served me really well, mostly because of how consistently good Nature's Madness Tapu Koko is at forcing immediate, heavy-handed pressure against Electric- checks in Landorus-T and Ferrothorn, and even Hippowdon with proper support (such as that of Toxic/Toxic Spikes, which makes it extremely hard for Hippowdon to last long enough to check both Electric-types even with Slack Off). However, I would definitely suggest using Zeraora as your secondary Electric-type over Regieleki, as Zeraora provides teams both with an added Electric-immunity, Knock Off support, and is considerably more potent at cleaning teams than Regieleki on a game-to-game basis since Close Combat covers the difference against Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Blissey. Zeraora's immunity to Electric-type moves is especially of note since Tapu Koko is good at alleviating pressure into Zapdos and Tornadus-T, which means Zeraora can come into Electric-type moves a bit more consistently than usual, and that can mean being able to forego a Ground-type entirely on the right structure. Electric spam also takes great advantage of extremely powerful wallbreakers able to exploit Ground-types, such as Air Balloon Heatran, especially when paired with pivoting support to dish out the pain.

If you want to give it a shot, you can try the team here.

Toxic is fine if you absolutely need a replacement on cartridge as it plays directly to the Ground-type pressure that makes Zeraora a strong option in spite of its difficulty playing into Ground-types, but as Smashburn said, Knock Off is a non-negotiable option for maximizing Zeraora's value since Knock Off is how Zeraora limits recovery from Ground-types (mainly Landorus-T) that check it. For the future, please post questions like this in our SQSA thread!
ah sorry it was late at night and thought i'd ask to see if it get a rpely when i wake up and assume di chose the right thread lol

So as of semi-recently, Air Balloon+Eruption Heatran has gone from being an uncommon but solid anti-meta pick to one of Heatran's best and most commonly-run sets on the ladder due to its ability to punish slower Lando-T, especially since it generally just hits ridiculously hard. Similarly, Beat Up went from a niche but viable option on Banded Weavile to becoming debatably its best set recently.

So this got me thinking; are there any commonly-accepted metagame staples that have niche sets that might end up picking up steam either on the high ends of the ladder or in tournament play recently, and have there been other similar metagame shifts of this nature recently? What might some of those new sets or coverage options be?
I've been seeing a decent variety of both Heatran and Magnezone sets (I only mention Mag because to a degree they can fill similar roles for teams), as well as seeing a lot more of the dragon darts Draga variants. Blacephalon feels like another one where I have to be careful until I know the set. I've been experimenting with this lately and it catches a lot of things off guard:
Blacephalon @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Beast Boost
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Flamethrower/Fireblast
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
This mon forces a lot of switches, and anything that I can't outspeed+2hko or just want to chip really doesn't appreciate getting burned or taunted. Been pairing it with modest specs Lele so they can overload each others checks, as well as providing priority protection for Blaceph. Other common partners have been things like Ferro to bait fighting moves for free switch-ins with Blaceph, Buzz for Weavile who can otherwise be very problematic for this unscarfed pair, and Torn/Slows for pivots to start clicking buttons. The original idea came from wanting to take the prediction out of tricking specs/scarf onto Blissey, as Taunt essentially does everything trick would for me against Bliss albeit in a less permanent manner, but it allows me to keep clicking buttons or hard switch after into a phys breaker like SD kart if I so choose. (I still think scarf Blaceph is an under appreciated monster of the tier, there's a lot of teams it can 6-0 at preview and never have to click anything other than shadow ball)

Last edited:
saw some people talking about electric spam, it is alright, I use an edited version of pinkacross's RMT ( my version : dropped vic for incin, have some different spreads/movesets) and have gotten it to peak mid-1900s. I think an optimal version of this build (hazard stack + elec spam) would be a more offensive koko with either life orb/cm or specs and boots eleki, you win a lot of games where raichu doesn't really do anything and do feel the lack of hazard control when raichu needs to come in more than once or twice to clean.

I don't think Incin's ranked on the viability anymore, but has some nice synergy with lando (this is the only team i run phys def lando on) checking weavile and melmetal, lando can switch into earthquakes and close combats.

Hazard stack is also underrated, especially with more banded weavile, trying to find alternate cores as I always end up defaulting to rocks lando/spikes ferro.

Note: I felt insecure about this post, which is why I decided to delete it again. Reflecting back, one-and-a-half week of grinding and 2 tournament games did not really constitute a conclusive SwSh experience, so I had come to doubt the worth of my thoughts. However, I was then told privately by somebody (you know who you are, you are the best!) that my thoughts aren´t too bad, so I decided to repost it, after all. Also, the post was written before the recent viability updates.

World cup qualifications, round 1 is over and sadly, we didn´t make it. Still, we gave it our all, and I think we did much better than we could have hoped for. If nothing else, it really glued us together as a team, and I personally at least ground like a madman for one-and-a-half weeks to stand a chance in a tier that I had maybe 3 days of playing experience in prior to the event. I´m going to throw all the stuff I built, thought up and theorized on here, and see if somebody is interested in discussing some of it. Probably not, I´m hardly a good player, but at least I built it all myself.

Nussknacker und Mausekönig

I brought this team to my first match. I fancy myself something of a balance player, and when I started looking for ideas, I scouted for bulky defensive Pokémon that aren´t tier staples and wouldn´t be something that my opponent would expect. I eventually stumbled upon Tangrowth. I initially used it, because I simply loved the green Spaghetti monster´s design, but over time I came to appreciate its genuine strengths. Tangrowth´s biggest strength in my opinion is its ability to force consistent and lasting damage on the tier´s two most common support Pokémon, :Landorus-Therian: and :Ferrothorn: . It plays a little like Corviknight in practice, except for the part where Corviknight attempts to pressure stall, while Tangrowth simply forces continuous chip damage on its targets. Moreover, Corviknight not only has to roost frequently to stay healthy, but it gets forced out by Swords Dance Landorus and Leech Seed Ferrothorn, while Tangrowth can laugh this off. It gets poisoned extremely easily, but knocking off and chipping Landorus and Ferrothorn in return is more than worthwile, since they can´t recover their HP unlike Tangrowth. Tangrowth isn´t wholly passive against offensive teams either, as Sleep Powder is a wonderful ace in the hole to gain a decisive advantage.

:Tangrowth:

So, when building with Tangrowth, you need something to cover against special attackers, especially Heatran and Zapdos. I went for the most obvious option.

:Tangrowth: :Slowking-Galar:

At this point, I needed a plan for opposing set-up sweepers. I decided to try out Unaware Clefable, and discovered that this Pokémon ruins a significant number of ladder teams, mercilessly abusing Dragonite and Volcarona to set up itself.

:Tangrowth: :Slowking-Galar: :Clefable:

At this point Toxapex is still sitting on this team, ruining everything with Knock Off and status, so Stallbreaker Heatran looked like an obvious addition, especially since Tangrowth and Clefable could knock off Toxapex´s Shed Shell. It also offers the team a much coveted Fire- and Ice resist.

:Tangrowth: :Slowking-Galar: :Clefable: :Heatran:

At this point I had to compress Stealth Rock, hazard control, a Ground type, a Ghost type resist and preferrably a second Steel type into the final two slots, so I went for Defog Landorus and Stealth Rock Bisharp.

:Tangrowth: :Slowking-Galar: :Clefable: :Heatran: :Landorus-Therian: :Bisharp:

After running a lot of test games, I found Landorus far too unsuited as a Defogger for a reactive team such as this one, continuously getting itself chipped without being able to outheal Stealth Rock damage, so I got myself Tornadus-Therian instead. Now I had to compress a ground type somewhere else. After testing around with Gastrodon, I found myself taking a liking to it, its unique typing allows it to switch into massive threats such as Choice Specs Volcanion, Eruption Heatran, Whirlpool Tapu Fini and others, and it is probably the only Pokémon in the tier that can safely attempt to tank an Arctozolt lacking Freeze-Dry.

:Tornadus-Therian: :Bisharp: :Heatran: :Clefable: :Gastrodon: :Tangrowth:

The team overall is extremely vulnerable to Tapu Lele (especially Choice Specs versions), but it can handle most other opposing threats fairly consistently. My teammates in this tournament spammed rain teams, which got me the impression that this was a dominant, already established team archetype, which is why I overly prepared for such a case with Storm Drain Gastrodon and Tangrowth. In the end, I think I mostly ended up lucking out by way of match-up, as my opponent brought at least 2 Pokémon that were completely dominated by my bulky Leftovers Bisharp, Choice Band Dragapult and Choice Specs Aegislash.

Some thoughts on some Pokémon I used on this team:

:Tangrowth:

I already specified what it does for me, I think this is super sexy and more people should use it. It chips down Landorus-Therian and Ferrothorn with unmatched consistency, and it can handle a number of dangerous physical attackers in a pinch, such as :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:, :Zeraora: and :Kartana: . You are also probably looking at the best :Barraskewda: counter in the tier. This will probably rise in the viability rankings soon.

:Gastrodon:

I think with the sheer number of appearances it made in World Cup qualifications so far, especially on Stall teams, and its very respectable win rate, this has established itself as a borderline staple Mon, I think this will also soon rise in the viability rankings, even more so than Tangrowth. Depending on its and the opposing set it can switch into and wall any of :Tapu Fini:, :Tapu Koko:, :Heatran:, :Volcanion:, :Rotom-Wash:, :Zapdos:, :Toxapex:, :Zeraora:, :Clefable:, :Landorus-Therian:, :Tornadus-Therian:, :Thundurus-Therian:, :Tyranitar:, :Hippowdon:, ..., one gets the idea. It can sit on Calm Mind set-up sweepers with Clear Smog, it can sit on Pokémon that rely on Knock Off to make progress with Sticky Hold, it can scare many of its switch-ins with Ice Beam and it spreads around status with Scald, Toxic and potentially Sludge Bomb. What´s not to like? Vulnerability to poison? Touché :)

:Clefable:

Unaware Clefable is a demon and a one-woman army in about one-third of all ladder games.

:Bisharp:

SwSh will soon stop being the current generation, and this still doesn´t have an official Smogon analysis (I´ll volunteer to do it, so this isn´t just random complaining), and nobody really talks about it, because everybody is busy (rightfully) swooning over :Weavile:. So let´s remedy that, let´s talk about Bisharp. I think Bisharp is pretty good. The dominant set by far is Choice Band, but I think people could really stand to explore the bulky Leftovers set I tried a bit. This hinges partially on Dark/Steel being an utterly fantastic defensive typing, probably the second-best in the metagame after Tapu Fini´s Water/Fairy duality in my humble opinion. It switches at least once into any Weavile lacking Low Kick, and it can actually generate a lot of free turns through the threat of Sucker Punch, letting it heal off chip damage with Leftovers if you burn Sucker Punches at the right moment. Because of how many switches this can force, Bisharp also makes extremely good use of utility and coverage moves, Stealth Rock, Thunder Wave, Low Sweep and Substitute are all options that in my opinion should be explored more. Because Clefable, Tapu Fini and even Heatran and Ferrothorn are way more scared switching into it than on Weavile, it can also make very good use of Toxic to poison switch-ins such as :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: or :Buzzwole: . If I had a complaint, it would be the iffy speed tier, getting outsped by timid :Magnezone:, :Clefable:, :Aegislash: and jolly :Tyranitar: without running a jolly nature itself is annoying.

Straight Flush

Preparing for my other game was a terror, as my opponent is known as a highly skilled player who excels at playing bulky balances and cheese teams, and would probably beat me at my own game in a drawn-out battle. At least, this time around, I had already collected some experience and wasn´t just grasping at straws when looking for ideas. I eventually decided to build around a Tyranitar-Slowking core, probably my favorite core to build around in this tier, as together they can handle all special attackers in the tier bar some strong electric attackers which can be walled by a ground type who fits on these team styles like a glove. Choice Band Tyranitar and Heavy-Duty Boots Slowking also form a solid future-port core that can wallbreak many bulkier cores.

:Tyranitar: :Slowking:

I originally wanted to draft in :Nidoking:, as my opponent had a reputation for spamming Clef-Pex cores (with Corviknight on top, no less), and this was one of the few Pokémon that could somewhat reliably break those sorts of teams, but having 2 slow wallbreakers along with Tyranitar struck me as highly counter-productive, so I eventually went for a different mon that I think is actually quite bad, because of how badly it matches up against :Corviknight: and :Zapdos:. At least it compresses both speed control and Rapid Spin, while also outhealing Stealth Rock damage with Leftovers alone, which are both valuable traits on such a team. I think the key to playing Excadrill during a match is simply not to use it too much, unless you absolutely need to. It nearly always runs into something it can´t beat, so one should time its appearances extremely carefully and scout left and right for it.

:Tyranitar: :Slowking: :Excadrill:

:Rillaboom: and :Kartana: can single-handedly knock those 3 out, so I needed something to check those. I disliked the idea of getting Corviknight involved, since I already had Excadrill, so I instead went for Zapdos. Defensive Zapdos-Kanto also has the valuable ability to fight off its own Galarian cousin, which I have to admit scared the wits out of me. It also added something for me that could pivot into and gain momentum off bulky water types, especially Tapu Fini.

:Tyranitar: :Slowking: :Excadrill: :Zapdos:

Weavile would still tear me apart at this point, so I really needed either :Buzzwole: or :Toxapex:. Even though Buzzwole could also fight off Swords Dance Garchomp for the team, I don´t like it much as a Pokémon. On this team it would need to run an extremely bulky spread, limiting its offensive capabilities and by extension its ability to force progress. It would probably spend most its time roosting, lose its Heavy-Duty Boots at the first opportunity and then get bodied by either a single double-switch or Future Sight. So, Toxapex it was, which also compressed an additional Fighting and U-Turn resist into the team, and I simply hoped that I wouldn´t run into Garchomp.

:Tyranitar: :Slowking: :Excadrill: :Zapdos: :Toxapex:

At this point the team still lacked any major surprise value, and I really knew that I needed some ace in the hole. Eventually, I decided to simply steal an idea from my opponent, Tricky Barb Clefable. If my opponent played their star team, this way I could engage them in a game of Trick-or-Treat, which is a little less about skill in Pokémon battles and a little more about sheer persistence, and I was prepared to play this game like my life depended on it, probably the only advantage I had. Calm Mind Clefable also added an actual win-condition to the team, and with Magic Guard also gave me a much coveted status-absorber and another weather-immune team member.

:Tyranitar: :Slowking: :Clefable: :Excadrill: :Zapdos: :Toxapex:

Very vulnerable to Swords Dance Garchomp, the final product, and I wasn´t wholly sure if I could win if my opponent played their Ditto team well, but I happened to run into an other incredibly convenient match-up for me. I actually played the battle very, very badly, my RBY- and ADV-honed instincts telling me to scout Mienshao endlessly for Poison Jab, and almost managed to get myself tournament-banned(?) in the process for never Calm Minding with Clefable with all the chances I got. But I got the most important turns right, managing to trick the Sticky Barb onto the best target, Nidoking, and only bringing Excadrill in to spin against Blissey when my opponent had no other choice but to heal up. I also successfully withheld Zapdos´ full moveset long enough that I could profit from Volt Switch in the endgame, and Heavy Slam on Tyranitar could have KO´d Mienshao in a similar fashion, if not for the timely critical hit. Most importantly, I remained patient enough to not try to brute-force my way through my opponent´s defenses even in the endgame, instead stacking chip damage with sandstorm, Stealth Rock and Future Sight to the very end, while trying to avoid Scald burns and preserving as much HP on my own Pokémon at the same time.

Also, now that I look the team paste again, the EV´s are garbage. I put 30 speed IV´s on my Slowking in order to underspeed opposing Slow-guys, but didn´t even give it a sassy nature, and I got undersped in that regard anyway, my opponent even using a Level 99 Slowking for the purpose. I can´t remember what the speed on Zapdos is for, either. The movesets are fully intentional, though.

Some thoughts on Pokémon I used on this team:

:Tyranitar:

Rejoice, the king is back in town! I value the Cif highly in this metagame. Dark types are incredibly valuable in a metagame starved for Ghost resists and providing barely any usable Normal-types bar Blissey, and Tyranitar performs defensive legwork by far the best out of the bunch. Defensive Leftovers variants make for solid long-term solutions to specially offensive threats like Zapdos and Blacephalon while also potentially compressing a Stealth Rock setter and a reliable status spreader with Thunder Wave and/or Toxic, while Choice Band variants can make for scary balance breakers that make up for their lack of speed and Knock Off with their absurd coverage, being able to run all of Crunch, Stone Edge, Fire Punch, Ice Punch, Earthquake, Superpower/Low Kick, Heavy Slam (for Fairies), Thunder Punch (for Water types, especially :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: and Metal birds in one) and Aqua Tail (for :Landorus-Therian:, :Heatran: and :Hippowdon: in one) to great effect.

:Slowking:

Highly valuable due to being the best answer in the tier to many specially offensive threats that have recently (re)risen; :Tapu Lele:, :Heatran:, :Volcanion:, :Nidoking: and others. I think we need to get away from the idea that Slowbro and Slowking´s usefulness in the tier is mutually exclusive, they do different things, and they do their respective jobs very well, independent from each other. You are unlikely to include both on the same team, but you would not assign one of them to do the other one´s job. Aside from that, business as usual, Future-Port is still great when paired with Breakers like :Weavile: or :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:, and makes both Slowking and Slowbro Pokémon earn their place even on offensive teams.

:Excadrill:

Not splashable at all, and is only highly effective once every full moon in my humble opinion. Should be used with great caution in battles, micromanagement of both your own and your opponent´s Pokémon´s HP typically pays off when using it. 200 speed EV´s + a neutral nature are enough to outspeed the fastest commonly seen Choice Scarf user, Kartana, in sand. Being faster is only worth it for Sweeper sets that aim to do so after Rapid Spin, but those sets are in my opinion highly limiting, requiring way too much support to work consistently.

:Zapdos:

The best Electric-type in the tier by a wide margin, in my humble opinion. Not only the strongest one and the one least likely to get walled, but also by far the bulkiest one and the only one that can really consistently perform defensive duties for a team, specifically switching into :Zapdos-Galar:, :Tornadus-Therian:, :Kartana:, :Rillaboom:, :Scizor:, :Tapu Fini: and most :Melmetal: sets for its team. I think defensive sets are legitimate and can make use of Pressure over Static to PP stall, Heat Wave to hit steel types and/or Toxic to spread status, unlike Pokémon such as Tapu Fini it tends to actually do this job consistently, though managing its HP well isn´t always easy and it can still end up overwhelmed by sheer offensive pressure from multiple fronts.

:Clefable:

Is Tricky Barb a gimmick set or not? I´d say it probably is, it´s not always easy to get off Trick against the desired target, especially when up against offensive teams. Still, Trick-or-Treat is a funny game, and if you have a free moveslot on your Clefable, it´s not the worst move at all.

Other sets I have played around with, but not seen anywhere, probably really, really bad, and probably somebody already came up with them, but 2 cents are better than no cents:

:Weavile:
Weavile @ Heavy-Duty Boots / Choice Band
Ability: Pickpocket
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance / Triple Axel / Low Kick
- Ice Shard
- Psycho Cut

Once these days somebody needs to run this to nail knocked off 50% Toxapex, Urshifu and Buzzwole.

:Tyranitar:
Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Block
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Rest

I tried to pair this with a Knock Off user such as Weavile in order to trap and remove Toxapex, never quite worked out, maybe the same idea can work on Heatran or something.

:Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Leftovers
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Whirlpool
- Protect

Same idea, but this is more aimed at forcing chip damage on :Landorus-Therian:, :Corviknight: and :Ferrothorn:. Unlike the previous set this actually worked on occasion.

:Slowking:
Slowking @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Scald
- Future Sight
- Earthquake
- Psyshock / Fire Blast / Zap Cannon

I think this is a legitimate set. While the lack of Heavy-Duty Boots can be annoying, this is probably the best counter to Choice Specs Tapu Lele, just pair it with a Dark type that can switch into Psyshock. The amount of damage it takes from Heatran and Volcanion is similarly hilarious, and it can even stay in on Zapdos and Dragapult, if need be. It still relies a bit on surprise value, but the results from laddering with it have been positive.

:Kartana:
Kartana @ Protective Pads / Choice Band
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Toxic
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off
- Sacred Sword / Synthesis / Defog

Why would you use Kartana for anything other than sweeping or wallbreaking? Why not? It really does cripple Tornadus, Buzzwole and Zapdos.

:Skarmory:
Skarmory @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Roost
- Toxic
- Whirlwind

Running Skarmory over Corviknight sounds like a pretty bad idea, if you aren´t using Spikes. However, it is easy to forget that Skarmory also has access to Toxic and Whirlwind over its (c)raven counterpart. Unlike :Corviknight: it really does actively pressure :Landorus-Therian:, :Garchomp: and :Zapdos:.

:Thundurus:
Thundurus (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Substitute
- Knock Off
- Bulk Up

When I suffered a burn-out early last week, I went laddering with this on low ladder. I won against Toxic Melmetal and lost against Bulk Up Buzzwole, but on the whole it was a funny experience. :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike:, the tier´s premier physical answer to Bulk Up users and :Toxapex:, the only commonly seen Hazer, both get smashed by a fast STAB Thunder Punch, and the tier´s ground types get slowly, but no less reliably worn down by Knock Off.

Other Pokémon that I think are a little underrated right now:

:Landorus-Therian:

It seems to be going the same path as its S-Rank partner, Heatran. I have been seeing more and more offensive sets. People seem to have remembered that this is a Pokémon with 145 base attack, a workable speed tier and a respectable offensive movepool. Standard specially defensive sets nowadays switch into Choice Specs Blacephalon, only to lose 50% of their HP and drop after switching in a second time. U-Turn and Knock Off are still clutch moves to make progress, they just don´t need to be run on defensive sets anymore.

:Tapu Fini:

I wrote some time ago a huge wall of text on why I thought this Pokémon deserved to drop in the viability rankings, I find myself having changed my mind a bit since; Tapu Fini´s problem in many cases lies in my humble opinion not with herself, but rather with the teams she is featured on. Many teams slap her on as a band-aid against :Weavile:, :Urshifu-Rapid-Strike: and :Heatran:, only to get crushed under offensive pressure, but I think the mistake lies in trying to rely on this one (admittedly bulky) Pokémon to patch massive defensive holes to begin with. Fini has a lot of fortes when played to her strengths, boasting many of the same utility moves as Clefable and the sheer difficulty in putting her down when momentum is actually on her side can swiftly turn a battle´s tide. I would like to write more, but I don´t think I have used this Pokémon enough to give an optimal account.

:Hippowdon:

Gastrodon is probably preferrable to Hippowdon right now, as far as Ground types with longevity go, but Sand Stream and Roar/Whirlwind are useful tools to force switches that Gastrodon lacks. If offensive :Landorus-Therian:, :Zapdos: and Weather Ball users such as :Thundurus-Therian: continue to stay strong, Hippowdon might find a more charitable spot on the viability rankings again.

:Arctozolt:

I haven´t seen much of this Pokémon, but realistically it can still singlehandedly crush absolutely everything with Bolt Beak, Freeze Dry and Low Kick under Hail. Maybe there´s an unwritten agreement among the player base that using it too much constitutes an abuse of power?

Other Pokémon that I think are a little overrated right now:

:Buzzwole:

I saw one performance of Buzzwole in the World Cup qualifications that I absolutely loved to death. Otherwise I sadly found most of my prejudices regarding this Pokémon to be justified. Teams relying on it as their all-purpose physical tank see themselves driven into a corner far too often, and a good player can wear it down with double switches or simply knock it out with Future Sight. Defensive sets also suffer from Rillaboom syndrome in that there will typically be at least one Pokémon on the opposing team that can wall it without even actively trying. As I mentioned above, I had great joy watching the Choice Band version perform, but in many respects it relies on surprise value and isn´t necessarily better than other Choice Band users. Regardless, I find all sets to be too inconsistent right now. Maybe I´ll eventually come around on it, like I did on Tapu Fini.

:Tapu Koko:

It has a fantastic speed tier, a very sexy movepool and a unique typing, but I find this Pokémon to be just too frail to my liking. Even most neutral attacks in the tier do at least around 50% damage to it, so when it switches into an opponent, it needs to roost like a brainless chicken the following couple turns just to be able to switch in a second time, hoping that its opponent will eventually lose interest and switch out. To make matters worse, the electric terrain it summons boosts the electric attacks that it could otherwise switch into with a little less worry, and it also doesn´t want to switch into Knock Off, as it often strongly depends on its Heavy-Duty Boots, giving this Pokémon overall very few resistances to work with defensively. It also deals only manageable damage to Landorus and Heatran, and has difficulty making tangible progress at all as long as the opponent has a Ferrothorn. Nature´s Madness helps out in that regard, but it needs to drop either one of its STABs or U-turn for it, and the move will never finish the job on its own. Maybe if I used more offensive teams I´d have a better opinion on it, but alas.

:Victini:

It can deal awesome damage, but dealing awesome damage isn´t always the same as actually getting kills. It always seems to come just short of knocking out its targets. Worse yet, the speed and defense drops incurred from using its signature move make it a sitting duck in a highly momentum-oriented metagame. Defensively it is one of a handful of Pokémon that can safely switch into Tapu Lele for the most part, but almost every other Pokémon in the metagame runs a move to hit it for massive damage it can´t heal off.

General metagame observations:

- Building a team that can answer most realistic opposing teams feels extremely challenging, there are too many offensive Pokémon in the tier with only one to three good defensive answers. Most teams are fishing for a good match-up, whether they want or not.
- Teams are relying more and more on overall team synergy, rather than the strengths of its individual members. Teams that rely on a single star to do all the team´s difficult work are unlikely to see great success going forward.
- Crucial support abilities like weather or a certain terrain might find their way even onto teams that don´t explicitly rely on them, as it can facilitate dealing with other teams that do rely on their weather/terrain.
- The Metagame is approaching a level of streamlining and formulaization seen in many metagames of past generations. While the offensive metagame is still undergoing significant evolution, the defensive and especially stall meta has largely defined itself, with almost all stall teams choosing from a pool of ~10 Pokémon.
- Related to the above, a number of dominant (and not-so-dominant) team archetypes such as standard weatherless offense, rain offense, weatherless stall and bulky balance are starting to fight each other for supreme control of the tier, and will probably ultimately settle into a vague hierarchy in terms of dominance they exert in the tier.

Feel free to challenge anything written here, it is the account of a person that played the tier for all of 2 weeks, after all. I probably won´t play SwSh going forward, and move back to the older generations. Brief appreciation post to all my teammates and supporters during the tournament, I couldn´t have gone where I did without their help.

Last edited:
With Slowking's rise to A- in the viability rankings, the water type currently has seven of it's members across the A ranks, finally surpassing steel as the most prominent type for the first time in the generation. This number superiority does not change even if you believe the 'good' tier cutoff is in B+ rank as there are three more water types there, gastrodon and the rain squad who are currently trending.

(
)

While steel is still most likely the most dominant type as it possess four whopping members in the two top ranks alone (plus you still can't make a team without a steel), it is quite impressive for so many water pokemon to be regarded as staples especially since it still has not gained two of it's notable members, manaphy and greninja back from dexit. (In comparison, there are no relevant steel types in the national dex anymore except maybe roost empoleon who is also ironically a water type)

Water has always been a consistently relevant OU type in the history of pokemon but it is not often it gets to enjoy this amount of spotlight in the tier. So what makes these boys popular in today's metagame? I'm also intrigued by the fact that five of the seven waters are pretty much used for defensive purposes. Considering gastrodon is also becoming quite relevant, is the bulky water category a mainstay in most teams now?

I had a few questions, mainly because I wanted to gauge the general public opinion of the tier (at least, of those players who frequent the forum). You guys usually have a lot to say, and I've felt relatively uninspired as of recently.

What do you feel are Pokemon that need to be addressed?

Do you have any ideas for the current meta?

Is there anything trending, or generally appealing when you teambuild?

Anything you're experimenting with that you would like to share?

As a general question, do you prefer to teambuild by yourself or with others? How does it impact your teambuilding skills?

Water has always been a consistently relevant OU type in the history of pokemon but it is not often it gets to enjoy this amount of spotlight in the tier. So what makes these boys popular in today's metagame? I'm also intrigued by the fact that five of the seven waters are pretty much used for defensive purposes. Considering gastrodon is also becoming quite relevant, is the bulky water category a mainstay in most teams now?
Historically I believe the water typing has been dominated with defensive types. Through gen 4 Gyarados and Starmie represented basically all of your offensive water options, and it wasn't until gen 5 with Keldeo that we got a decidedly offensive water power house. Since then GameFreak has done a decent job of introducing both offensive and defensive waters. I think gen 8 is interesting because a lot of the previous water threats in Keldeo, Azumarill, and rain Kingdra are all much less prominent than before, and Greninja who was by far the most aggressive water type isn't even present in the tier.

Slowbro and Slowking get slotted into a lot of my teams, but it's less by virtue of them being water types and more because they are just great defensive pivots that auto sustain themselves. Outside of rain, I feel like Volcanion is the mon the gets picked a lot more for the merits of its water typing. It's great vs rain and sun, has an ability tied to water typing, and boasts the strongest unboosted water stab available in Steam Eruption. Tapu Fini is also a great water type, but to me is an even better Fairy type. Urshifu has felt less popular as of late despite being quite viable, which I think can be associated partially to the prevalence of the defensive waters checking it. Pex is the perfect example of the bulky water type being overtuned. Typing wise, water actually doesn't offer you a plethora of useful resists (just 4, with steel and ice attacks being less common than water and fire), but these mons usually have great base stats, access to recovery, and access to an array of utility moves, with 'Pex being a poster child for this. I see Rotom on more of my teams than I ever have to face it, but that mon is really quite underrated. I think Gastrodon is great, it's just held back by its sub base 100 defensive stats and lack of rocks, both of which you'd expect to find on a bulky water/ground type.

Other things of note:
1. Duo Cores: Water feels like one of the types where you also don't feel bad doubling up on it. The decline of Rillaboom, less popular electric types combined with the near requirement of a ground, have created a space in the meta where it's a harder duo typing to punish. I've run Slows+Volc/Fini a number of times and it's felt quite good.

2. Recovery+Regenerator. This is the Phanpy in the room. Slowbro, Slowking, and Toxapex are all busted when it comes to the levels of sustain they offer, with Toxapex being even worse because it can't be poisoned reliably (hello Salazzle) and it commonly carries Black Sludge for a third form of recovery. These things are entirely separate from the defensive merits of their water typings but all massively contribute to their ability to be bulky.

3. Non-resisted Powerful stab moves and/or attacking the secondary typing. This is mostly anecdotal, but it feels like much of the time when you are breaking through bulky waters, you are doing it with Powerful stab moves like Earthquake, Close Combat, Stone Edge, and Shadow Ball, or Toxic. Even if hit neutrally, a lot of these have the potential to break the water type with a 2hko after rocks and some chip. Kartana is one of the best at directly giving most waters fits, but usually when you draft a team and game plan for a water type that threatens you, typically it's the secondary typing that you attack. Dark/Ghost to break through the Slows, Ground/Psychic for Pex, Poison for Fini. I'd postulate it's because a) the current tier doesn't carry as many super effective STABs vs water, and b) the secondary typing that bolsters the bulkiness of the water type also serves to create an avenue to defensively exploit it. Barraskewda being the only pure water type commonly seen in the tier really reinforces how much water is a supplemental type, and really leans on its secondary typing.

I had a few questions, mainly because I wanted to gauge the general public opinion of the tier (at least, of those players who frequent the forum). You guys usually have a lot to say, and I've felt relatively uninspired as of recently.

As a general question, do you prefer to teambuild by yourself or with others? How does it impact your teambuilding skills?
- Maaaybe Weavile, I wouldn't mind a suspect test as I think it's pretty strong rn specifically due to Banded Beat Up being able to muscle past things like Ferro. Don't think its banworthy atm tho. Besides weavile, I don't see any problematic pokemon running around in the tier rn.

- I've been meaning to make a team with Slowking or Gastrodon as they seem like pretty decent fits for the meta (Gastro probably less so than Slowking), with both of them being specially bulky waters with reliable recovery.

- I can't seem to build teams without Tornadus, it's just such a good mon rn. Fast speed tier, Regenerator, good offenses, utility with Defog, Knock or U-Turn. Usually run either HDB Defog or AV and it just acts as such a fantastic glue to so many of my teams.

- I'm trying out things around Nature Power in conjunction with Terrain to bait in & remove checks to certain pokemon, like Fini + Heatran to deal with DNite, or Koko + Torkoal to bait & eliminate Pelipper. Definitely more of a gimmick than a viable strat but it's fun.

- I generally build on my own as I don't really have anyone to build with and haven't bothered reaching out to others either partly because I didnt realize people build with others. I'd be down to do it someday though. It does result in me putting together teams that work well for how I tend to play - Mostly BO teams centered around a specific thing like weather or terrain - but ultimately I'm only a mid-ladder player so there are probably some big holes in my builds, even if they do work for where I hover on the ladder.

1) Weavile, and nothing else really atm

2) I want to utilize Tyranitar on a hazard stack build. Realized it hits like a truck with CB assurance

3) I really love using Scarf Lele as it cleans up very well against a lot of structures and my go-to speed control

4) nothing fancy at the moment, Been experimenting more with Blaziken

5) A mix of both. I find it's helpful to use the various teambuilding advice and guides across Smogon to jumpstart things, and see what you initially end up with, and test out the initial kinks. Then having a successful player take a look after you hit a roadblock or just to check and see what could be optimized since there is almost always a blindspot or two in your teambuilding brainstorming.

1. Mainly Weavile and I have nothing else to add about it until there's more meta developments that are relevant to it but I'd also want to say that I'm not liking the influx of Alolatales screens offense with all these setup sweepers. It's just really annoying to fight and the rise in use of stall is also really annoying. It feels like Balance or B/O are really hard to build these days because there are matchups that they just won't win unless the opponent chokes and so breakneck offense is the next best thing sometimes. You do the math on what could be done to mitigate that >_>. Gamefreak please dexit Alolatales. I'm not saying that this current stage of the meta is becoming markedly too unhealthy but if I start seeing Ditto I'm gonna have to intervene lmao

2. I really like building around Zapdos and Garchomp, they do a lot of work in games and are hard for a lot of teams to safely switch in to

3. I've been liking all-out-attacker LO Lele even if Specs is usually better for that purpose. I find that since Lele doesn't want to stomach neutral hits anyway the chip still keeps it dangerous even if it cuts into its longevity (it's a flawed but very fun set)

4. I like to teambuild by myself but with ideas from others that I've seen. I usually pick a core of 2-3 and choose based on that

1. Weavile has been mentioned, and I think since it's rise with Banded Beat Up I'm more aware of checking it at team builder, but I think because I've always used mons like Buzzwole, Fini, Ferro, and Heatran that I'm probably biased in thinking it's less dangerous than it actually is.

2. I want to make SD Garchomp+Band TTar work as a throw back to my favorite gen 4 team, but it's susceptible to burns, and a lot of the supporting cast I've tested around makes me weak to Earthquake spam.

3. Tornadus-T and Landorus-T offer so much role compression that it's hard not to include one in the bulky offensive schemes I run. I've testing 252 HP / 88 SpD / 168 Spe Timid Nature on Torn to outspeed all the non-scarf max speed 110's since the only thing in between me and them is Hawlucha and it's typically outspeeding me anyway. I may test the extra Ev's into other things, but I find myself using Torn to sponge more special attacks and pivot often, so it seems to help it in the long run.

4. I've been testing some different variations of Heavy-Duty Boots Blacephalon and Tapu Lele sets. I think both have a lot of offensive power without being choiced, and without being choiced (but having bluffed it), can catch a lot of mid game surprise KOs that let you break through and sweep after. I also like the standard Pex with Eject Button because it gives you a tool to let a primarily defensive mon generate a powerful turn of counter offensive momentum.

5. Since gen 4 I haven't done any collaborative team building. It's probably created some over sights in how I construct teams. Outside input is a useful thing since you can get caught repeating a lot of the same ideas and mistakes.

Example Sets
If you can't tell I have a love affair with Taunt

Last edited:

1. I've said all I wanted to about how I feel about Weavile and its effect on building. But I wanna echo clementinabrocollina's sentiment on the rise of Alolan Ninetales screens teams. It's really not enjoyable to play against, with the wide variety of set up sweepers that can be found there. ATales itself, its qualities make it by far the best screen setter and it's sometimes frustratingly difficult to prevent it from getting up screens. And some match ups it's just impossible it feels like. The meta trending very aggressively too,.and for bulkier teams, it's been feeling harder and harder to build them without going full fat. I don't have as much an opinion on the uptick in stall usage, but I understand why others may not care for it, as teams are already seriously strapped for slots as is and it's not always easy to fit a good stall breaker on the team too.

2. I've liked building around HDB Volcanion and its ability to trap and remove Fini and Toxapex, and sometimes Glowking, which enables some Pokemon to go crazy.

3. I've been experimenting with Blaziken again lately, and rather than using it as a sweeper I've tried working it as an offensive pivot thanks to uturn and knock.

4. Generally build by myself, although sometimes I pitch ideas to others to bounce ideas.

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse

1. like everyone said, weavile because of its tendency to destroy teams lategame with banded attacks or wallbreak insanely easily with a boost SD set.

2. im finding myself building way too much with zeraora + gzapdos. Its a good core that backs up eachother well, but where it shines is in abusing lando. A lot of teams use lando as their zeraora check, but its intimidate comes back to haunt it as I double switch into gzapdos and now have a nuclear brave bird to throw off.

3.Torn-T is such a good mon. Can sponge grass types and fighting types, knock things off, defog, pivot, and so much. Theres a ton of role compression that it brings to the table, and its a mon that I have trouble NOT using.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 184 SpD / 72 Spe
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Iron Head
- Body Slam
- U-turn
This is my favorite Lele check atm. It sponges hits, can help heal teammates with wish, and generally acts as a nuisance. This also helps with other strong special attackers such as Koko and Zapdos-K. It can also spread paralysis easily with Body Slam, and also as a pivot with its good typing. It can sponge burns, toxics, and more, while supporting its team with large wishes and paralysis.

5. I usually teambuild by myself because i have no friends because uhhh

Last edited:
With Slowking's rise to A- in the viability rankings, the water type currently has seven of it's members across the A ranks, finally surpassing steel as the most prominent type for the first time in the generation. This number superiority does not change even if you believe the 'good' tier cutoff is in B+ rank as there are three more water types there, gastrodon and the rain squad who are currently trending.

(
)

While steel is still most likely the most dominant type as it possess four whopping members in the two top ranks alone (plus you still can't make a team without a steel), it is quite impressive for so many water pokemon to be regarded as staples especially since it still has not gained two of it's notable members, manaphy and greninja back from dexit. (In comparison, there are no relevant steel types in the national dex anymore except maybe roost empoleon who is also ironically a water type)

Honestly a huge factor in the consistency of water types in OU is... the water type itself. Rain is an obviously viable archetype and the only real defensive grass, Ferro, is vulnerable to skewda's CC. Kommo-o, Hydreigon and most notably Dragonite can be used as bulky Water resists but they can be a little harder to fit. And Fini being so great as well as the threat of Ice coverage on most waters means all 3 aren't sufficient on their own to check all water types alone, and often teams without a water will have to rely on Dnite + Ferro or whatever. Urshifu's Surging Strikes and CC combo basically mandates a Buzz, Fini, Bro, Kommo-o, Pex, Rilla or Dnite on most bulky offensive or balanced teams (with the bulky waters being the most popular options). Volcanion's rise as an alternative offensive water for weather and non-weather teams alike generally leaves Waters and Dragons as the primary switchins, too. Water's a surprisingly good offensive type as well as an obviously strong defensive type with just 2 weaknesses (grass being kinda uncommon).

There are definitely other factors like pex and fini being good weavile checks and a need for a non-steel dib resist but I just thought it was kinda interesting (or maybe this is all pretty obvious and im just tired) how much of a factor water types' presence is in for the presence of water types.
Also wanna take this opportunity to plug my personal bias for Blastoise, an excellent HO mon that takes advantage of the aforementioned water type neutral coverage as well as bulky Mence and Kommo-o which give alternatives to Dnite whose Multiscale never really does anything in this meta. I'd nominate them to be ranked (/promoted for kommo-o) but im too lazy and i know people don't agree with me lol.

1. blah blah Weavile blah blah

2. Victini + Ferro spikes is absolutely devastating. V-Create while 3 layers are up is just easy wins.

3. Ferro is just so good. Sponges hits, forces solid damage just with Barbs + Helmet, Leech Seed, Hazards, the works. Love that mon.

4. Fake Band Gapdos is surprisingly good with T-Kick to lower defense on the defensive swap, then surprise them by hitting them with a nuclear hit afterwards.

Zapdos-Galar @ Black Belt
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Thunderous Kick
- Brave Bird
- Stomping Tantrum / Throat Chop (Tantrum hits Pex, Chop hits Bro)
- U-turn

5. I never even knew people did that. I don't really have friends who play showdown so I always just built alone and I thought that's what everyone did haha.

I find it interesting that the majority of people responding have said they gravitate towards Tornadus when teambuilding. Personally, I always find it hard to actually justify using it than not. The middling bulk it has forces it to dedicate more of its EVs for whatever it wants to check defensively, and those sets relatively uninvested in their bulk don't feel as consistent. Torn can become a crutch when teambuilding because, while versatile, it is very specialized; and when I'm strapped for slots and need to compress multiple roles to best synergize with my team, Torn is rarely my first thought. That isn't to say I won't build with it when needed, but my typical building style avoids it.

I enjoy the other birds for their advantages, but very little will I deliberately build with Tornadus. Perhaps it is a flaw in the way I build, being so linear. Maybe some of you could enlighten me on how you build?

Aside from that, how would you feel about a building group to bounce ideas off of each other and get more experience? I know it's how a lot of successful players operate, and it's something I think I, as well as others, could take advantage of.

Thanks for all the replies by the way! I appreciate the feedback, it's always food for thought.

Last edited:

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!

- None actually. The only one I want addressed is Ferrothorn and not because it's broken but simple because it is so god damn annoying. With its annoying ability, leech seed and hazards. Seriously. How much does this mon want to drive one to insanity. Aside from that, the one thing that I really want addressed is the rng. I take a break from playing this game and every single time I return to play it again, I am reminded of why I even took a break in the first place. In all honesty, even the metagame when people were running Naganadel and Genesect on every team was more bearable than losing because your attack missed. It really takes the competition out of competitive. It's not really Smogon's fault at all but it still makes me wonder

- It's not anything too original but I'm planning on eventually experimenting with a defensive core of Hippowdon + Buzzwall + Slowking. It seems kinda promising because Buzz deals with most physical attackers, Hippo never dies and Slowking deals with Heatran. The lack of ground immunity isn't too disturbing given that two mons don't care about earthquakes at all

- Tornadus is one of the two mons that I always appeal to me. Regenerator is just a very strong ability that I can overlook how hurricane never hits. Access to many utility moves is just a bonus. Garchomp is the other one that appeals to me. Aside from its incredible design, it's just very reliable. It can threaten defensive structures after sd, becomes very dangerous to stop if it gets scale shots, items can screw you over, blah blah blah. I just love to use this mon and in every single team, the first draft always has Garchomp and Tornadus because they're both that reliable

- Right now, I'm testing all out life orb attacker Garchomp, whether mixed or physical. Chomp's access to rock, fire and water coverage, combined with its stab combination, pretty much allows you to get rid of any mon that your team wants gone. Want Slowbro gone? Earthquake and draco it into nothingness. Want Lando gone? Aqua tail it. Need birds gone? Fire blast and stone edge got you covered. While this sucks against offense, at least in can pry apart just about every defensive core imaginable

- By myself because I have no friends and mostly a loner. If I really need to, I can ask someone for a little advice but I haven't done that in over a year mostly because whenever I take a break from the game, it is at least a month and also because I kinda enjoy figuring out how to build a team around a certain mon on my own

Aside from that, how would you feel about a building group to bounce ideas off of each other and get more experience? I know it's how a lot of successful players operate, and it's something I think I, as well as others, could take advantage of.

Thanks for all the replies by the way! I appreciate the feedback, it's always food for thought.
That would actually be very beneficial and it's not just in pokemon where this applies. Even esport titles like csgo or dota 2, teams would come together and pitch in their ideas and see if it works out

blooclipse

formerly Bluecliqse
I find it interesting that the majority of people responding have said they gravitate towards Tornadus when teambuilding. Personally, I always find it hard to actually justify using it than not. The middling bulk it has forces it to dedicate more of its EVs for whatever it wants to check defensively, and those sets relatively uninvested in their bulk don't feel as consistent. Torn can become a crutch when teambuilding because, while versatile, it is very specialized; and when I'm strapped for slots and need to compress multiple roles to best synergize with my team, Torn is rarely my first thought. That isn't to say I won't build with it when needed, but my typical building style avoids it.

I enjoy the other birds for their advantages, but very little will I deliberately build with Tornadus. Perhaps it is a flaw in the way I build, being so linear. Maybe some of you could enlighten me on how you build?

Personally, I build by starting with a core and then just building outwards. In my mind, I have a couple mons that check each different huge threat in the current metagame and then I build around my core with other mons that can check other mons.

Tornadus specifically is something I love building with because I personally feel it has super good role compression. It can run HDB defog, NP on rain, mixed, AV, and more. I have even tried running Scarf as a super unexpected scarf Kart and Weavile check. It can run a super fun mixed scarf set with superpower/hurricane/u-turn or knock off/heat wave.

Yeah, sometimes Torn does feel a bit lacking in the defensive department. It has pretty average bulk for something that's relied on to check a lot of threats, and with no Roost it can feel very frail. While at times it can fall short, like not being able to check CB kart and rilla, it has very good role compression which is what I like about it. It doesn't really counter anything or even really check anything super consistently, but being able to be an interim switchin to basically anything at least once is a really nice trait to have. Torn's bulk is average, but its good enough that it can basically survive any one hit and threaten the mon back with a strong hurricane.

Torn as a defogger is one of the best. It isn't passive like some defoggers are, *cough cough corvi cough cough* and it has good enough bulk to consistently defog in the face of massive threats. With its very strong Hurricane and sometimes Heat Wave, it can also threaten common rockers such as Ferrothorn, Jirachi, Landorus, and more.

In short, Torn is good not because it has astronomical bulk or even just good bulk, it can use what bulk it does have and the power afforded by its good Atk and SpAtk alongside its good movepool to threaten a lot. Its good speed also lets it be an interim switchin to many attacks, and threaten the attacker out with a very strong Hurricane. It has U-Turn to pivot on switch-ins, it has Defog to support its team, Knock Off to remove opposing items, and much more. What Torn brings to the table isn't something that nothing else can, but its something that nothing else can do at once.
Also, I would love a place for players to just bounce teams and ideas off one another, and it would be really helpful for the community. Yeah, there's the RMT channels in Smogcord and RMT here on the forums, but its just not as real-time and as helpful as it could be. A place for something like that would definitely be very beneficial to a lot of players, and I look forward to building with other people!

EDIT:Oh, and i forgot to mention, the birb has regenerator. Why did i forget to say that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)