Metagame SS OU Metagame Discussion Thread v7 (Usage Stats in post #3539)

gonna do a more in depth post about the changes and delete my older one instead of double post, but yeah this was a surprise but sure a welcome one. I do look forward to how the tier changes as a result, hopefully nothing ends up being too crazy and we can finally get a period without a suspect for a while, maybe we even get a zamazenta test who knows. Ironically enough I made an extensive post back in August covering what gets better from these 2 bans, and now I'm about to do the same nearly 7 months later. Anyway, these are just the major benefactors and losers from the bans, will be using the VR as a resource for this post. Without further adieu, lets get started.
-grouping these 2 together because they are likely to be top offensive threats now that the bunnies are gone. Grassy glide is nuts and SD chomp is more threatening, I do think they will be kept in check thought because of the surge of things like
who all also get better with the bans and will be able to be used more to help check these top threats. Both of these look to be A+ threats, though not banworthy at all imo.
-slow twins (or triplets) galore! Slowbro appreciates mag being banned but also lost its best FS partner in ace, I think it'll still be good because usually new things will end up filling the void left behind banned threats. Like others have said, glowking will be less splashable due to it being a more reliable mag check than blissey, it'll still be good though so doesn't matter. Slowking is another Pokemon on the rise, its special bulk helps it be more reliably than slowbro in some instances, being a UU player though its an integral part of the meta so please don't take this from us :(
- all these mons appreciates the two leaving and will also become offensive threats. These bans will definitely cause a usage resurgence in latios while these bans might also push kyurem to being OU by usage for the future. Lele and NP hydra also get better with these bans and are going to be super threatening going forward.
- see you in UU friend, at least you'll be good there. As for the latter, HO took a big hit and it might fall off, also because it faces competition from koko as a screens setter. Other stuff like
and
don't benefit too much from these bans and I can see them falling to UU in the future, buzz by april and maybe mandi in the July shifts, especially because mandi is gonna be super hard to justify over corv.

Lastly, down below are some miscellaneous mons that got better with at least 1 of the bans and wasnt too affected by the other.

All in all, despite me not thinking cinderace was too broken and that we may have been able to adapt after the magearna ban, I do think the meta is going to look much more better and appealing now that all the crazy stuff is gone. Nothing sticks out as banworthy at all, and I'm curious to see what adaptations occur in this new meta, the changes here will certainly create a run off effect down to UU and maybe even down to RU and NU depending on the magnitude of these changes.

First, Dont think mandibuzz is gonna drop, it checks the grounds, rillaboom and other mons that other birds struggle to check them like zapdos and the mag vunerable corvi.
Slowbro is not dropping in usage with chomp, lando and the soon rise of other physical that might take the ace roll like blaze, gapdos and other.
Many think that chomp will becoming S, but there is a certain Gorilla that benefits even more that chomp from this mons that also destroy it and dont forget about kart.
Torn is gonna benefit yes, but torn is torn and it does torn things, like np sets with heat wave becoming better maybe.
All the special dragon will become better, common sense why

First, Dont think mandibuzz is gonna drop, it checks the grounds, rillaboom and other mons that other birds struggle to check them like zapdos and the mag vunerable corvi.
Slowbro is not dropping in usage with chomp, lando and the soon rise of other physical that might take the ace roll like blaze, gapdos and other.
Many think that chomp will becoming S, but there is a certain Gorilla that benefits even more that chomp from this mons that also destroy it and dont forget about kart.
Torn is gonna benefit yes, but torn is torn and it does torn things, like np sets with heat wave becoming better maybe.
All the special dragon will become better, common sense why
I mean there is very little reasons to use mandibuzz over any of the birds. Torn-T, Zapdos, and especially corviknight are defoggers to can bring some sort of offensive pressure to the table. It's niche over them is very little and situational.

mandibuzz may not drop, but it dosent check rillaboom and grounds, SD chomp blows it away with stone edge, rillaboom knock it off and +2 Superpower will heavily dent it, grassy seed drain punch beats it 1v1, Landorus-t SD into stone edge ohko's mandibuzz, toixc pressures it, knock removes boots and it has to deal with 25% chip from rocks. I do not think it is as much of a wall as u think

I mean there is very little reasons to use mandibuzz over any of the birds. Torn-T, Zapdos, and especially corviknight are defoggers to can bring some sort of offensive pressure to the table. It's niche over them is very little and situational.
Is the most resilience one, zapdos doesnt stop chomp from sd and take booms hit better. Definitely not the best one, but useful in the right situation

mandibuzz may not drop, but it dosent check rillaboom and grounds, SD chomp blows it away with stone edge, rillaboom knock it off and +2 Superpower will heavily dent it, grassy seed drain punch beats it 1v1, Landorus-t SD into stone edge ohko's mandibuzz, toixc pressures it, knock removes boots and it has to deal with 25% chip from rocks. I do not think it is as much of a wall as u think
But u dont set up in front of mand, never said they were counters

I spent like 2 hours writing an RMT for a team partly built around magearna today and then this hits
1613956432049.png

on the serious side, after playing with several of its sets I can absolutely understand why this happened, I am a bit surprised at how fast it went down tho.

this does leave slowbro in a bit of an interesting position since it no longer needs to fear choiced volt turns, but on the other hand it lost its biggest customer in cinderace, and slowking was beginning to pop up anyways and taking its niche. I think it will overall lose some usage but am looking forward to seeing how the bro situation ends up going.

As for some other things, I would say corvi got better since it is one of the few things capable of switching into lele relatively safely left now that AV mage is gone

rilla was already really good and will prolly go ape now(heh I know, comedy genius)

I'm not conviced about blaziken because it wasn't really overshadowed by cinderace since they didn't even try to fill the same role, with ace being a pivot and blaziken a sweeper, and cinderace being banned won't fix blaziken's massive 4mss.

lando also lost two things it handled better than most other things in the metagame, but it's lando and I don't think this will impact it a lot.

aegislash might get better, but I still think there are too many powerful grounds in the tier to make it consistently see play

I'm suprised no one mentioned pex, since haze was one of the better ways to stop setup mage and pex in general was one of the better answers to ace, I think this will negatively impact it quite a bit, since it was already having a weaker grasp on the metagame than before, and now it lost even more niches

Can I just say for as much as I love this decision, it feels a bit abrupt IMO. Like, we all knew they were being banned, but a quick ban just like that?

Welp, I'm not complaining.

Also, this feels a lot like this vidoe

We know he's guilty, but the final judgement comes out of nowhere

Rip PEX tho, lost 2 niches, countering Set Up Mag and checking non Zen Ace

If :rillaboom: , :kartana: , :tornadus-therian: and :corviknight: became more popular, I'm pretty sure :zapdos: will rise a lot because of how good it is against those threats. Sure you have to play around with your boots, but a Static proc against those mons are way worse for them, as they rely a lot from their speed tier, especially :tornadus-therian:

Also, if :garchomp: and :rillaboom: rules the tier, I see a rise on :tangrowth: as one of the premier checks of both mons, crippling them with Stun Spore and Sludge Bomb, respectively.

I'm so happy about those bans, because they free teambuilding, and open more room for creativity and usage of other mons to cover specific weaknesses when building teams.

As a sand user, I'm happy that i don't have to run :toxapex: almost everytime to not being run down by :magearna: and :cinderace:. The same sand archetype also can profit from Choice Band :tyranitar: as a premier breaker for those teams as it won't be Magearna bait anymore and because :hippowdon: lost one of its main mons to check, but it still good as always, checking :garchomp:, setting rocks and wearing down:landorus-therian: with Toxic for :excadrill: or :dracozolt:to take advantage. It will be interesting to see how the metagame develops after this massive impact.

Thanks to the council members for hearing the voice of playerbase once again.

Good luck on your battles and experimentation!

Red Raven

I COULD BE BANNED!
I'm still unconvinced of the Cinderace ban as I really think the only reason soccer bunny was considered as broken was the unpunished switch ins it got with boots. I still blame boots as the main culprit and not Cinderace itself

Man am I glad Magearna is gone. If there is a pokemon that I've ever hated that much it is bunny bot. I even found Zygarde and Kyurem Black to be much more bearable than that bullshit

As for the winners and losers, I'll start with who wins at bunny bot's ban

:Latios: :Tapu Lele: These two have my votes on their victory and many other also agree. Now Lele no longer has to think that hard about relying on focus miss just to hit the bunny and Latios now has the freedom for aura sphere if it's not using a four attacks set

:Rillaboom: Oh god this thing just hated the bunny. If I had to pick what was the scariest combo I've ever used, it is Magearna with scale shot Garchomp. Magearna just abuses the grassy glide Rillaboom has to use otherwise Garchomp would plow thru entire teams as it was the only common priority capable of killing Chomp at -1 defense. While other steels will take bunny bot's place, none of them are as scary as Magearna

:Blissey: As ironic as it may seem, I think Blissey somewhat benefited from Magearna's ban. Yes it can wall Magearna but at the same time, it loses to calm mind draining kiss while being ruined by specs or scarf tricks

:Hydreigon: :Tyranitar: These two dark types heavily benefited from the loss of the one mon that resist both their stabs. Now they have the freedom to run more offensive sets without fear that their coverage will fail to one shot that certain bunny

As for Cinderace

:Garchomp: This has to be the number one mon that benefited from Cinderace's departure. Now, there is next to no reason to ever use tank Chomp, meaning it now has the freedom to use its scariest set, swords dance scale shot with sand veil. The only thing scarier than Garchomp, is a Garchomp that boosts its speed without scarf. What's even scarier than that is the Garchomp that boosts its speed and dodges hits left and right. I have the feeling that Garchomp will reign over the tier with Landorus Therian supporting it or vice versa

:Hydreigon: :Tyranitar: Like with Magearna, these two are happy that soccer bunny is gone, mainly because they're just an hjk from death. With the lack of those two mons, I feel like these two will finally gain more freedom, limited freedom at least

:Tangrowth: I've been using this mon quite a bit and it has been really good at stopping Rillaboom but had the issue of soccer bunny just straight up killing it. Now, it has more freedom to wall stuff, namely Kartana and it also serves as a great knock off sponge, unlike Slowbro who could be in trouble based on which mons knocks it off

For losers, I can't really think of those that lost because of Magearna's ban. If anything I think the entire tier rejoiced in its absence. For Cinderace tho, I think there is one that really lost big

:Moltres: This was the closest thing one could get to a Cinderace hard counter if it runs a hefty amount of defense, only fearing a potential gunk shot poison. It has always distinguished itself with this niche from fellow bird, Zapdos, as even random life orb Cinderace can barely touch it while Moltres threatens to render it useless with flame body. Despite the massive opportunity cost and risk to using this bird, that one niche has always been valuable, to me anyway but now, it's probably gonna drop to uu

Can I just say for as much as I love this decision, it feels a bit abrupt IMO. Like, we all knew they were being banned, but a quick ban just like that?

Welp, I'm not complaining.

Also, this feels a lot like this vidoe

We know he's guilty, but the final judgement comes out of nowhere

Rip PEX tho, lost 2 niches, countering Set Up Mag and checking non Zen Ace
I'm fairly certain the QB is in response to or at least heavily based on the playerbase survey which rated Cinderace (3.468/5) and Magearna (4.347/5) pretty high when asked how unhealthy they were for the tier

The real question to me is who are the mons that are going to replace Ace and Magearna. Of course, there is no direct substitute to these two pokemon, but I'm just wondering what will fill up the 2 holes they leave in the OU tier.

Obviously things like Clefable will probably rise in usage, while others like Kyurem was already on the come up. But, I wonder if other certain mons that were REALLY gatekeeped by Ace and Magearna, particularly Weavile, Gengar, and especially Latios. Latios and Gengar were hard gatekeeped by Ace imo as his speed tier was very limiting, but with him gone they might see some spotlight in being able to outspeed the majory of the metagame while still hitting hard. Weavile on the other hand was completely walled by Magearna and only had a chance of OHKO-ing Ace (with band only), despite outspeeding it. I can totally see HDB Weavile w/ SD being a decent replacement Cinderace and respectable abuser of Fsight, but most of all I'm excited to see what I will hope to be the rise of Latios once again.

The real question to me is who are the mons that are going to replace Ace and Magearna. Of course, there is no direct substitute to these two pokemon, but I'm just wondering what will fill up the 2 holes they leave in the OU tier.

Obviously things like Clefable will probably rise in usage, while others like Kyurem was already on the come up. But, I wonder if other certain mons that were REALLY gatekeeped by Ace and Magearna, particularly Weavile, Gengar, and especially Latios. Latios and Gengar were hard gatekeeped by Ace imo as his speed tier was very limiting, but with him gone they might see some spotlight in being able to outspeed the majory of the metagame while still hitting hard. Weavile on the other hand was completely walled by Magearna and only had a chance of OHKO-ing Ace (with band only), despite outspeeding it. I can totally see HDB Weavile w/ SD being a decent replacement Cinderace and respectable abuser of Fsight, but most of all I'm excited to see what I will hope to be the rise of Latios once again.
Weavile was already good, but now with the inmonent rise of torn weavile will be very good mon. Many balance team rely or better said they use torn as a speed control measure, unlike draga, who hates knock off, vile scares out the heck out of torn and hit hard eveything name pex, dont forget that it destroys lando and chomp and many other mons in the tier. I personally like the6banded set the most

I have a lot of disorganized thoughts in my mind at the moment about potential winners in the metagame, potential losers, and the process for these and future bans. While it's too early for anyone to be truly confident about what will be good or not in the post-bans metagame, I wanted to discuss my thoughts about one pokemon in particular that I anticipate gaining traction in the coming weeks. Credit to others who have mentioned this pokemon in earlier posts prior to mine while I was drafting this.

Tapu Lele

:sm/tapu-lele:

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb (:life-orb:) / or (:choice-specs:)
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast / Psychic
- Shadow Ball / Thunderbolt
- Focus Blast​

I believe the metagame will be quite favorable for Tapu Lele to fill the special Fairy-type wallbreaker vacancy created by Magearna's departure. While they are not fairly comparable to one another given Magearna's superior bulk, typing and access to a pivoting move, Tapu Lele equally has the coverage options to hit nearly all of its anticipated defensive counterplay, and an even greater level of raw power on its Psychic STABs to abuse them.

In the current state of the metagame, Tapu Lele does not have an abundance of splashable defensive counterplay. Magearna's defensive sets were the best answer to Tapu Lele that fit the definition of a defensive check, and even its offensive sets (Specs and Double Dance) could still pivot into Lele or use it as setup fodder at least once or twice. Without Magearna around on most teams, the only pokemon currently OU by usage that loosely meets the definition of a defensive check is Corviknight. However, Corviknight must be wary of Thunderbolt variants, needs SpDef investment to avoid 2HKO's from Focus Blast from either set, and is generally needed to check other very prominent threats like SD Garchomp, Rillaboom, Kartana and Physical Dragapult sets (among others). To suggest that Corviknight may find itself getting frequently Knocked Off and/or overloaded by these other threats feels like more than a fair assumption, but only time will tell.

There are other options for handling Tapu Lele that currently are not OU by usage, but I feel most of them struggle with longevity issues. Bulky Aegislash, Jirachi, Victini and the very niche Celesteela fit the bill, but Aegislash lacks Pursuit and cannot even revenge kill due to terrain, Jirachi feels outclassed as a defensive steel type right now, Victini is a solid answer maybe twice assuming it's a Boots set, and all four lack reliable (or any) recovery. As it relates to the set I posted above, if you would still like to hit Aegislash, Jirachi, Victini and other offensive switch-ins like Latios all in one move, this may be a good time to consider experimenting with Shadow Ball. If you are more concerned with Corviknight, run Thunderbolt instead. There is also nothing wrong with Choice Specs, which I assume will still be the premier wallbreaking set, but Life Orb has enough power to outspeed and 2HKO common SpDef pivots like AV Slowking-Galar, Ferrothorn, Melmetal, Blissey and Heatran, while preventing the opponent from scouting Lele's move choice and swapping in an immunity or faster resist risk-free. The moveset can be tailored to whatever your team needs, or to whatever check seems to be common in the metagame, but the overarching point is that Tapu Lele can take advantage of any one it wishes. Effectively, if it hits its Focus Blasts or the opponent's prediction game is on-point, walling it defensively will be challenging.

Note that I am not suggesting Tapu Lele is broken, but simply that it has several positive qualities which make it worth trying out as a wallbreaking replacement for Magearna. It has less opportunities to actually get into play, has issues with longevity if it wants to switch up moves, and can't quite hit all of its checks if it opts for something like a Calm Mind + Taunt or Block set at the expense of additional coverage. Whereas Specs Magearna could fulfill a variety of roles and threaten both Stall and Balance teams with just four moves and one set, Tapu Lele can't quite achieve this without additional team support from faster pivots, possible Wish support to keep it healthy, or support from its teammates to beat the checks for which it lacks coverage. In any case, I have built some teams around Tapu Lele that I'm eager to test out, and judging by how well it has already performed for me in the past, I expect it to get better going forward.

With both the scariest U-turn presser and biggest wall to grass/dark coverage gone, I can predict :zarude: Zarude growing in usage; being a bulky grass type that retains strong offensive utility in a meta where Rillaboom and Garchomp are expected to run the show is a solid niche, and unlike Tangrowth, it doesn't mind taking toxics or scalds thanks to Jungle Healing. Darkest Lariat does enough damage to things like Torn and Corv that they have to be careful about coming in, and Future sight immunities are something pretty sought-after in the current meta, especially with the slowtwins predicted to grow in usage again, and it's also worth mentioning that Zarude will often win the 1v1 against the current standard NP/Roost Hydreigon even without special bulk investment. It's not without problems - its somewhat awkward speed tier leaves it outsped by Latioses and Kartanas who are usually able to revenge kill it, and Power Whip genuinely feels like it misses more than any other move, but with sufficient team support, it can definitely get past some of these issues. Zarude is fairly infamous for being hard to build around, but now that these two massive threats to it are gone, some of its issues have been patched over a little, and it may even end up finding a real place as a common feature of the OU meta.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the announcement of a quickban but i believe neither should have been unbanned as fun as those 2 were. Congrats to the OU council for how they've handled this gen and congrats to Finchinator for being a machine.

Anyway its stocktake so i wont make a big post but alas in terms of winners and losers.

Winners - Calm mind Clef, Tapu lele and Blaziken are big winners now that there checks and competition for win con are gone. Clef is a scary calm minder with its bulk and even with just 1 move and say t-wave can whittle away at much of tier while Oppenents scream in horror when there steels are dead. Lele will fill the void left by specs magerna and Blaziken can finally be the scary swords dancer it was meant to be.

Loser's - Screener's in general and in mags case trick room are gonna decline massively now that there best tools are gone and while stuff like Zarude and Chomp can sorta fill the void on screens there just not cinderance. I also see heatran dropping a tad to niw that it doesn't have to check mag constantly even if cm clef and lele rise since other steel's can check them.

Anyway my thoughts. See you on the poke field

Last edited:
While it is nice to see some action after the survey, the QBs do leave a really bad taste. While I agree that magearna was bad, and should have gone, I didn't feel Cinderace was all that bad enough for a hard QB, even through I put it at 4 on the survey. I really hope it gets a proper suspect sometime soon, cause, last time, it was QB'd and didn't even require a super majority to keep it banned, which is defo not like the courtesy given to pokemon that were more broken, and given a proper suspect. Its as finchinator said, QBs do feel like it takes away from community.

Also, if a 3.5 average score is enough for an instant QB, pheromosa got the luxury of a suspect test when it got a similar score in the last survey. I really expected mage QB/instant suspect and then a Cinderace suspect later on. This just feels way too abrupt. Unless it was based on the qualified response... Which then feels again like the elite voices get priority over the general voice...

I don't know, it just feels wrong this time.

----------End of rant-------------

I don't feel that the Cinderace ban changes anything, mostly, it's the magearna ban that really affects things. Magearna's defensive and offensive capabilities really overshadowed a lot of pokemon, like tapu lele, and put a huge burden on teambuilding, so I expect a lot of pokemon previously threatened by magearna to rise back into the limelight.

Goodbye & Thanks

Thrown in a fire?
This just feels way too abrupt. Unless it was based on the qualified response... Which then feels again like the elite voices get priority over the general voice...
I'm not saying that the qualified responses were weighed too heavily and that the rest of the responses were completely ignored or anything, but shouldn't it be the case that the "elite voices get priority over the general voice?" Even if there weren't quickbans, the point of needing to get reqs to vote in a suspect test is to weed out the less experienced players and give priority to the opinions of those who have demonstrated some success in a tier. Now I'm not equating getting reqs to being a top player or anything, and even top players can obviously have out-there or distorted opinions as well, but needing to get reqs limits the "noise" from people that don't know what they're talking about. I think that this is just kind of true of many things in life, but sometimes I feel like the most vocal people on these forums tend to be the least experienced. I do think that it's tricky because tiering impacts the game for everyone that plays a tier, no matter how experienced they are, and it's not like someone's experience while playing should be valued over anyone else's, but at the same time, the worse and less successful players are more likely to have misguided or uninformed viewpoints. Also, if players are lower on the ladder, I feel like in general they are less likely to be impacted by tiering shifts because they are less likely to use or run into optimal teams for a metagame. If they are using quality teams and still can't get out of the low ladder, then they probably just need more experience in a tier, and as they get more experience, their views on certain Pokemon and the impacts that they have on a tier will become more informed. So in general, what I'm trying to say, and please don't feel like I'm singling you out, P3DS, is that I think that it's fine that the views of more accomplished players are weighted more heavily. I also doubt that the OU Council completely ignore the input from the larger base of less successful players, but I can't speak to exactly how they weigh the differing groups in their minds; I also imagine that not every OU Council member has the same viewpoint on this, and that can be a good thing as well.

Last edited:
First of all I'd like to say thank you council for quickbanning the stupid metal bunny. I don't think Cinderace needed a quickban but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to take for Magearna to be gone. A lot of people seem to be predicting who they think will rise and drop in viability so I'm going to do my own.

Winners:
:tapu lele: :latios: These really appreciate the bunnies being gone. Magearna was one of the best checks to Tapu Lele since it resisted its stabs while not being weak to Focus Blast, and was also the main reason Mystical Fire on Latios was really good. Now pretty much the only Lele checks are Corviknight and Slowking, both of which get dispatched by Thunderbolt, while Latios can afford to run Aura Sphere more to not get walled by Ttar and Heatran. Besides that, they also appreciate Ace being gone, since it was able to revenge kill both quite easily.

:slowking: As I said, Slowking is one of the few pokémon that can take Specs Draco Meteors/Moonblasts as well as Psyshocks, which makes it a very good check to these mons. Not only that, but it also doesn't have to compete with Slowbro as much since it doesn't have the disavantage of not checking Cinderace as well. Overall, I feel like it provides more defensive utility than Slowbro as it checks the dangerous special threats running around such as the afromentioned Latios and Tapu Lele, Tornadus-Therian and Nidoking.

:rillaboom: Ok so Rillaboom is kinda ridiculous now imo. Magearna being gone basically takes away the need to run High Horsepower unless you really, really hate Pex. SD Superpower sets just kinda trash everything not named Corviknight and Skarmory, even things like Mandibuzz die after getting their boots Knocked Off. Pair this with a Magnezone and switch it in on the obvious switch and lol those are also dead. It's too early to say if it's broken or not but I think it's something that we should keep a close eye on.

:kartana: No longer having to worry about Cinderace revenge killing non-scarf sets is great for it, as is not having to worry abt giving Magearna a free turn if locked into Leaf Blade. Not much too say about this one, really.

:kyurem: Ok so basically Kyurem's great now. Magearna being gone and Slowking-G probably being less common means it can afford to drop Earth Power on a Specs set, although it still is a great option, which allows for it to run Focus Blast and Draco Meteor on the same set again.

:clefable: This has kinda fallen off since the Urshifu ban but I predict it gets much better this time around, with no Magearna and especially no Cinderace to force it out. SpD Clef is one of the better checks to Kyurem and WishPort sets can get wishes off much more safely without having to worry about letting the bunnies come in for free.

:tornadus-therian: Magearna was a decent check to Torn-T as it resisted its Stabs + Focus Blast and killed back, and it being gone means it doesn't have to slot in Heat Wave as much, although it is still a good option against Corviknight.

:corviknight: First of all it obviously loves Cinderace being gone. The Volt Switching electrics like Zeraora and Koko will likely take a massive hit, so that's another thing it doesn't have to worry about as much. Besides that, there's one thing you might have noticed from the mons I listed; they don't exactly like Corviknight. SpD Corvi is one of the only Tapu Lele checks, one of the most reliable checks to Rillaboom and Kartana, can handle non-Heat Wave/Mystical Fire NP Torn-T and Specs Latios respectively, and can even help pivoting around Kyurem as it is immune to Earth Power, doesn't get 2hkoed by Freeze Dry, resists Draco Meteor and can avoid the 2hko from Focus Blast with enough SpD.

:magnezone: Another pretty obvious one. Corviknight gets better, the thing that can remove it with careful prediction gets better too. This also definetly enjoys Cinderace gone.

Losers:

:tapu koko: :zeraora: I feel like those are honestly the biggest losers, especially Zeraora. VoltTurn teams were incredible partly thanks to Cinderace, and Cinderace + Koko, Cinderace + Zeraora and even Cinderace + Magearna were extremely common and effective cores, so with it gone, those teams take a huge hit.

:slowbro: :slowking-galar: There were many reasons why this was one of the best cores recently, but the biggest one especially was because this core checked both Cinderace and Magearna exceptionally well. In the current meta, Slowbro doesn't seem to be as neccessary for checking massive threats as the previously mentioned Slowking. Slowking-G also suffers from Magearna being gone, as it was the best check to its Specs set, and unlike Slowbro it cannot pair with its Johto counterpart due to Species Clause (it would be worse as a core anyway since both are left weak to physical attacks). I don't think Slowking-G has it as bad as Slowbro, though, as its AV set still has an important role in checking Kyurem and its NP sets might pop out more now with Magearna gone.

:regieleki: Screens teams just lost both Cinderace and Double Dance Magearna, which makes screens pretty bad rn imo, and as Regieleki is considered the best of the screen setters it obviously takes a massive hit.

:moltres: Moltres has now lost its one, small semblance of a niche; checking Cinderace and punishing it for U-Turning thanks to the fear of Flame Body. Could also help in playing around Magearna Ig, considering it resists Fleur. At least this will likely be amazing in UU lol.

:blaziken: This doesn't get worse per say but I didn't know where to include this on my post so I decided to include it here. Some people are apparently thinking it gets better with Ace gone which, like, no lol it doesn't. Ace ban doesn't remove its need to choose between Thunder Punch/Earthquake/Knock Off/even Stone Edge now with Defensive Dnite rising, nor does it magically make it not die in 3 turns due to Flare Blitz + LO, neither of which it can afford to give up on because of the loss of power.

Last edited:

Zneon

uh oh
is a Community Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Hi everyone, I want to go over a few Pokemon that truly adore these changes.

Clefable is probably a contender for the biggest winner of these bans for a few reasons. First of all since Cinderace and Magearna were not only able to threaten it individually but also the fact that they were also paired together a lot since they were probably the most potent offensive core in the metagame, Clefable really did struggle a lot more than it wanted. The best set for Clefable was its usual defensive rocks set because it was the most splashable however at this point I don't think it needs to use them anymore due to the Cinderace and Magearna ban. More specifically, Calm Mind looks absolutely ridiculous with those two gone. I feel that set was limited in the fact that it wouldn't get that many opportunities due to both those mons easily pressuring it. Calm Mind was always a sleeper threat I feel, it was just struggling quite a bit due to the sheer prevelance of those two, now I feel offensive Clefable will see far more usage than it would have because of just how much of a threat it truly is. Wishport of course also gets better

Hydreigon also gets much better I feel. Cinderace and Magearna easily threatened it but especially Cinderace because almost all of the time Hydreigon is going to be forced out because of High Jump Kick and U-turn, meaning Cinderace used Hydreigon for free momentum grabbing and that was pretty bad for Hydreigon in my opinion. Offensive Hydreigon has been picking up steam for the past few weeks and I can only see it getting better with time at this point, largely with how its checks have now been banned, the mon is such a hard Pokemon to switch into and I feel now it has many more opportunities for this.

Not sure about the rest of you but I think Tapu Lele & Latios gets immensely better with Cinderace & Magearna being gone, in Tapu Lele's case it can use Choice Specs much more freely now because it doesn't get revenge killed as easily or taken adavange of for trying to spam its moves, Cinderace and Magearna respectively. There's not much to say that many people haven't already about it, and Latios has an amazing Speed tier and is pretty hard to switch into, I feel each ban at this point has made Latios better and better, Urshifu, Spectrier and now these two being gone is such a huge boon for it I feel, not it's to the point where I feel it will truly be a great part of the metagame because its Speed tier and coverage threatens a huge part of the metagame; of course the bans only happened a few hours ago so it's hard to truly say, but I feel Latios has a good chance of being great!

Hope you enjoyed, thanks for reading! :blobthumbsup:

I'm not saying that the qualified responses were weighed too heavily and that the rest of the responses were completely ignored or anything, but shouldn't it be the case that the "elite voices get priority over the general voice?" Even if there weren't quickbans, the point of needing to get reqs to vote in a suspect test is to weed out the less experienced players and give priority to the opinions of those who have demonstrated some success in a tier. Now I'm not equating getting reqs to being a top player or anything, and even top players can obviously have out-there or distorted opinions as well, but needing to get reqs limits the "noise" from people that don't know what they're talking about. I think that this is just kind of true of many things in life, but sometimes I feel like the most vocal people on these forums tend to be the least experienced. I do think that it's tricky because tiering impacts the game for everyone that plays a tier, no matter how experienced they are, and it's not like someone's experience while playing should be valued over anyone else's, but at the same time, the worse and less successful players are more likely to have misguided or uninformed viewpoints. Also, if players are lower on the ladder, I feel like in general they are less likely to be impacted by tiering shifts because they are less likely to use or run into optimal teams for a metagame. If they are using quality teams and still can't get out of the low ladder, then they probably just need more experience in a tier, and as they get more experience, their views on certain Pokemon and the impacts that they have on a tier will become more informed. So in general, what I'm trying to say, and please don't feel like I'm singling you out, P3DS, is that I think that it's fine that the views of more accomplished players are weighted more heavily. I also doubt that the OU Council completely ignore the input from the larger base of less successful players, but I can't speak to exactly how they weigh the differing groups in their minds; I also imagine that not every OU Council member has the same viewpoint on this, and that can be a good thing as well.
I wasn't really accusing about any unbiasness. What I was meaning was that it felt again like cinderace's banning in DLC1, where it was banned just before OLT and retested after. While I know that it was intentional, and it did mean that common suspect reqs folks wouldn't want to tie themselves up with 2 reqs requirements and they would be more focused with the tournament, since ace would have been the next to be slated, it still did leave a bad taste and some resentment (which in turn spurred me on to get reqs for the retest). This time, it just felt a bit more off. Especially, when using the survey as part of the reasoning for QB, since the general view was ~3.5, which, for the last survey, only got pheromosa a suspect test. But, there was a larger difference between the qualified votes, roughly 1 higher... I don't know, just didn't sit right with me.

Anyway, what's done is done. Time to adapt to the new format. All I hope is that the resuspect test is sooner, rather than later, as a month between QB and retest might have swayed the vote a lot more than had it been only a couple of weeks later, since a lot of teams had adapted hard to the loss of Cinderace, meaning Cinderace felt a lot more powerful than had it been bedded in the format for a while.

And, hopefully, I can get reqs again, so I can have my say. Can't complain if I don't vote :)

:ss/Latios:

Everyone is hyping up Latios's sheer offensive power. However, let's not forget about its great defensive utility! Two other mons projected to rise in the near future, being Blaziken and Heatran, both have their most common sets walled/checked by Latios, especially the Life Orb Roost variants. Now that Magearna is gone, Latios is free to run Aura Sphere as its coverage move (unless Aegislash becomes popular), meaning it now has a great way to hit Heatran. Even if Aegislash does rise, Latios can just adopt LO EQ alongside Mystical Fire and have near perfect, if not perfect coverage.

I have been using Weavile recently after hearing Magearna was quickbanned and it’s extremely deadly without Magearna roadblocking it.
The few Pokemon that can switch into a Choice Band Weavile safely are Urshifu-R (lmao), Toxapex, or lack a pivot move and recovery.
Not even Tapu Fini is all that great of a counter since it can be worn down, while Triple Axel can still at least 36%. Weavile also packs an excellent speed tier as well. Being the 5th fastest viable Pokemon and having Priority to boot is pretty great for a tier where several Pokemon are weak to Ice like Dragapult and Tornadus.
Downside is that Weavile primarily uses contact moves, so Triple Alex will leave it at 50% health against a Rocky Helmet/Iron Barb user (typically Toxapex and Ferrothorn), it can be washed away by Barraskewda in rain, and it’s pretty frail too on top of having a gross hazard weakness.
Although there is nothing Teleport spam can’t fix.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Don't think Latios is going to be as good as being implied even with Mag and Ace leaving the tier because there's too much Torn/Dragapult, and Clef usage is going to rise at the very least top 5 mon if not top 3 used. Someone is going to say they cant switch in but Latios is going to be forced out by them all the time for numerous reasons unless Clef sits below 50%. Winners are obviously going to be things like Rillaboom, Kyurem, Slowbro, Dragapult, etc. but usage and effectiveness of mons going to be pending on the very likely high usage of Rillaboom, Dragapult, Clefable, Corviknight, Kyurem, Torn-T, Lando-T and maybe Heatran based on Clef usage. We'll see what's relevant around the time WCOP starts realistically.

Edit: Re Weavile on previous post I use Icicle Crash I think the flinch chance is more useful against bulkier checks and Triple Axel like mentioned is at the mercy of anything that damages with contact. Also sucks each one can miss it's a pretty shaky move as is. Weavile kind of hit or miss but may get better down the road.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)