SS OU SS OU Dual Weather : HELP PLEASE

So I have been using a dual weather team for awhile now, its setters are Hippowdon and Pelipper, and its weather abusers are Dracozolt, Barraskewda, Excadrill, and lastly, possibly least, Thundurus-T. It was a team posted a bit back in the forums that was discussed, I made a few changes myself but over time for the meta but now I have been running into utility issues as I encounter sets I never expected to ever appear like Landorus-T CS, Specially Defensive Ferro, and basically whatever else you can think of that is extremely annoying to face as a weather player because those weird sets have caused me to lose a number of matches and are now plaguing my mental :D

To sum it up, I am very frustrated with the team but I don't like the other stuff floating around, and I don't know much about the functions of mon teams and how to put them together properly, so I am asking for help in redesigning this team.

First, Pelipper.

1607103807010.png

As someone who uses this team a lot, I recognize that having a strong pivot and setup like Pelipper is important, just not what I would expect it to be right now. It has solid power, being able to answer unlikely mon switchins with U-Turn and Hurricane, as well as Weather Ball (which I replaced with Scald). It has great synergy with Barra and Thundurus, though base speed is very lacking on the sand side of the team which really cripples it. Also the wear-and-tear of the most powerful and versatile mons of the team is frustrating because in order to avoid certain hits I have to switch into the likes of Pelipper and sack it in bad or awkward situations.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- Defog
- U-Turn

Second, Barraskewda.

1607103849570.png

Originally, Barra was run as a Choice Band set, with Flip Turn, Liquidation, Psychic Fang, and Crunch (to note, this is when Toxapex was running in basically every team as a good answer for Barra because of popular stall, not that long ago). However, I saw that the effectiveness of Barra was slowed by some of the other answers of the time, and the team needed more variety, so I settled with a Life Orb set which had Liquidation, Ice Fang, Close Combat / Flip Turn, and Crunch. Barra wasn't switching out very often and could easily be sacked as other mons could hold their own but issues began arising with speed and coverage power when Ferrothorn and Slowbro started becoming more common, as they are powerful defensive mons against barra, and even though Barra has a lot of sting and variety, its Life Orb and Slowbro's bulk or Ferrothorn's bulk + Iron Barbs run it down too fast. Plus, Landorus's wild popularity lately has given Barra a hard time, as although it has answers Landorus is irresistible bait which is often paired with the griding duo of Slowbro and Ferrothorn for their great type coverage and utility. Granted, that is what Dracozolt is in the team for, secondary coverage of these mons, but it still has issues because I can't switch it in on Rain, so I lose a turn going into Hippowdon to setup and even then, that is a move which can be predicted and cancelled out.

Barraskewda @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
- Liquidation
- Close Combat
- Crunch / Ice Fang
- Flip Turn

P.S.

Forgot to mention, Ice Fang is coverage for Dragons, but since I don't run into them as often anymore I try to play Crunch since Slowbro is so common now and it has more power on neutral hits anyways.

Third, Thundurus-T.

1607103910060.png

Thundurus-T is a mon I have abused the absolute *not nice* out of, its access to decent bulk on ineffective moves and good coverage in the Rain and ability to be played as a pivot make it strong. Although, as previously said it lacks speed to make it worthy of its position often. It would be best to have a mon capable of high speed, variety, and electric type immunity as a special attacker, but I don't remember Spectrier being a ground type :/ I can't really do much else with Thundurus it feels like, the need to be able to click Weather Ball, Volt Switch, Defog, or Thunder is too important for it. I can't use Scarf or else that goes away, but HDB doesn't exactly give me the speed I need.

Thundurus-T @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Thunder
- Weather Ball
- Defog

Fourth, Hippowdon.

1607103968395.png

Hippowdon was originally a defensive set when it was in the team, but I noticed a lack of coverage for special attackers, so I went with a careful set instead. I often bounced between the last 4 EVs going to Atk or Def, but ultimately I go with Def so it can tank that one hit before it dies (of course in a situation where I am able to sack it to setup) and then set up off of its Smooth Rock Sandstorm into either Excadrill or Dracozolt after. Its two most common switch-ins I found were Tapu Fini and Mandibuzz, which have also seen an increase in popularity, so also this set usually goes for a surprise factor Yawn, I usually go with Toxic or Whirlwind/Roar. Nothing much else to say aside from the fact that it makes the team more incapable of taking Rillaboom with really breaks the team, another issues I am looking to solve.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic / Roar / Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off

Fifth, Excadrill.

1607104028831.png

As the main and fastest Sand Sweeper of the team, Excadrill holds an important place, but it also has a lot of trouble doing its job. With a decent variety of moves it is easy to see why it is in the place it is with this team, but even so, its ability to hit hard doesn't come for free, it runs Choice Band. With this, its set of Rapid Spin, High Horsepower, Iron Head, and Rock Slide, which may have seen some power previously, but the increase in answers to it which can wear it down like Ferrothorn and Slowbro, common answers to Barraskewda as well, have made it much less effective (can't forget to mention Landorus, AKA the anti team *not so nice*-er). nothing much else to say, it does get some use at times but I feel like a replacement or redo for it is in order.

Excadrill @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- High Horsepower
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide

Sixth, Dracozolt.

1607104202447.png

A powerful sweeper of the team and in general something I am still experimenting with, originally the set was Life Orb mixed attacker, with my own set of it being 132 Atk, 132 SpA, and 252 Spe. However, I think myself as well as the OP of the team came to terms that it is still much more powerful with an Adamant Nature and all physical moves (although I still run a Naughty Nature and Draco meteor for a nasty surprise if they think of bringing in Landorus or another SpD weak answer to Dracozolt). The main issue I have is its ability to hit hard without Choice Band or Life Orb, and how much it gets worn down in Sand, its thriving condition. It gets sacked a lot in bad situations because it just can't take a hit after being whittled down and the other mons simply don't cover it well after a threat is brought in (a reason I am considering replacing Excadrill). Although, a positive is that Urshifu has seen some decreased usage, so it doesn't get priority moves sicked on it a lot, making its use case better.

Dracozolt @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Bolt Beak
- Fire Fang
- Draco Meteor
- Earthquake

Last edited:
There isn't much else to be said. The team itself has it's limitations as all weather teams do. I'd say you're better off switching to mono rain and trying to tech against those counters.

I can see where you took inspiration from, there isn't much to say really, I feel weather teams are a bit mediocre now and the lack of a backbone kills them, I would recommend not using a dual weather team in the current meta because of the lack of a backbone, which is needed to win in the current meta

Mario34

don't play the odds, play the man
is a Tiering Contributor
I mean the team looks cool and all but single weather teams just seem better tbh

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)