Monotype Specs Salamence flying (I'm not clinically insane i swear)

Thanks Athyestic for the mence set lmao
:sv/dragonite::sv/salamence::sv/corviknight::sv/talonflame::sv/kilowattrel::sv/flamigo:
Click for the paste!

Ok hear me out. I wanted to run dual dragon types to compensate for just how bad Kilowattrel is as an electric check. Dragonite is obviously mandatory on every gen 9 flying team. The only other dragon flying type that seemed good enough was Salamence. I also wanted a special attacker that wasn't Kilowattrel. I'd normally use Iron Jugulis for this role, but Iron Jugulis isn't neutral to electric, nor does it have a powerful stab draco meteor to hit most pokemon for neutral damage. There's also the obvious surprise factor because if you're expecting dragon dance mence as let's say a water player, you might want to switch to Dondozo only for the Salamence to 2HKO it with a specs boosted draco meteor. Anyways, here's my monstrocity of a team now.

:sv/dragonite:
:dragonite:Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots:
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite is one of the 2 pokemon in gen 9 mono flying that's absolutely mandatory right now. It's easily the best flying type that isn't weak to electric, has good coverage options including extreme speed, and even has enough bulk to (sometimes) live ice type attacks with multiscale. Earthquake is needed for electric types and ice spinner is for most pokemon who are immune to or resist ground. Extreme speed is also there because there's no reason not to run espeed Dragonite.

:sv/salamence:
:salamence:Salamence @ Choice Specs :choice-specs:
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower

This is your cue to laugh. I love and hate this Salamence set. On paper, it seems like dragon dance mence or other specs users would completely outclass it but I think it works? Stab draco meteor is good to have and specs boosted hurricane is especially hilarious against rain. As I've said before, it also beats Donbozo. Overall, the ground, water, fire, electric and steel matchups get slightly better with mence and it's surprisingly not horrible as a wallbreaker. Also, it looks cool.

:sv/corviknight:
:corviknight:Corviknight @ Leftovers:leftovers:
Ability: Mirror Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Corv is the 2nd pokemon that's absolutely mandatory in gen 9 flying. It doesn't matter if you're running a standard defensive pivot, iron defense or whatever. You need a Corviknight. I'm running iron defense because it does a better job vs ice, ground, and any team with limited special attackers. Iron head is needed for fairy and ghost, so in theory, a bulk up set could also work but that doesn't provide as much immediate bulk. I might consider bulk up as an alternative tho.

:sv/talonflame:
:talonflame:Talonflame @ Heavy-Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots:
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn / Will-o-wisp
- Defog
- Roost

God I wish I had Moltres. Not running defog corv means I had to run another defogger instead. Bulky Talonflame is really my only viable option for this role. It obviously helps vs ice and steel, but also acts as a check for many physical attackers with flame body and will o wisp. Alternatively, you can run u turn over will o wisp for more pivoting. Bulky talonflame is just an overall good pokemon for the team.

:sv/kilowattrel:
:kilowattrel:Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots:
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

These last 2 slots are pokemon I really didn't want to run but I had to out of necessity. Say hello to gen 9 flying's only electric immunity. I have really little to say about this mon. Thunder wave can cripple offensive mons, but that's assuming they can't get it in the red with a single attack. I'd also like to mention how it's completely walled by other electric types. Flying's only electric immunity being walled by electric is not a good sign and it's the main reason this mon isn't 100% mandatory for flying despite still being really important. If any of you have a better Kilowattrel set than this, I'm all ears.

:sv/flamigo:
:flamigo:Flamigo @ Choice Scarf :choice-scarf:
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Fling
- U-turn

Scarf Flamigo is great for covering dark. It's also your backup wincon vs ice if something goes wrong and Corviknight dies. Besides that, it's a decent enough pick that can revenge kill unboosted mons. Fling seems like a really weird 3rd move but I have no idea what else to run. I've tried liquidation before and I never clicked it once. A stab move other than the 2 I already have probably won't deal enough damage. Plus, dual stab + u turn is all Flamigo ever uses. Might as well have a button to throw away your scarf in case of emergency.
Not sure how you lose to bug here. Your best course of action is to abuse Flamigo and Salamence as much as you can. This will obviously poke a ton of holes in their team and make it hard for Volc to come in. As soon as their special attackers die, sweep with Corv. Keep Dragonite at full hp for good measure.
With Chi Yu gone, dark's only real special attackers are Iron Jugulis and maybe Hydreigon. If the opponent doesn't have one or if they faint, it's corvin' time. Sableye can also stop a corv sweep with it's ghost typing and will o wisp. In that case, try to keep Salamence alive to deal with dark's few defensive mons. Talonflame is also important for burning their physical attackers. For teams without the bowl boy, Kilowattrel can spam t wave and obviously, don't get Flamigo killed.
This one is a bit tougher. Baxcalibur, Garchomp and Ice spinner Dragonite are all big threats that can get a free sub with Cyclizar if you're not careful. Corv seems like it can sweep on paper but watch out for specs Dragapult and dragon tail Garchomp. Salamence is really hard to get in but if you somehow can, a draco meteor basically forces a sack. You also want Flamigo alive since it can outspeed +1 Baxcalibur. Status spreading also works. Not sure what else to say here.
Stab Draco meteor is pretty good here. Keep your dragons and Kilowattrel alive, don't hesitate to sack Corv, burn the iron hands, find a way to kill Rotom Wash and Eelektross, then pray for mercy.
Yes, this team is incredibly weak to fairy. Klefki is especially a huge threat. If it has thunder wave, most of the team's offensive pressure is ruined, so it's best to scout the Klefki before trying to murder it. Also, there's no fairy ground type. Yep, Kilowattrel here wants to spam thunder wave to at least try to shut down fairy's threats. You can also safely pivot with volt switch. Don't bother setting up with Corv. Just use it as a flutter mane switch in and hope you don't get spdef dropped. Besides that, I don't know what else to say. It's just a really tough matchup.
This isn't gen 8 anymore. Fighting actually has a pretty good shot at beating flying. The main threats are gonna be Iron Valiant and Iron Hands. Try to status both of them if possible. Flamigo can also revenge kill non-scarfed Valiant. Salamence will be relying a lot on hurricane so if you're confident Valiant won't come in, use Draco Meteor instead to minimize rng. Again, Talonflame and Corv are also great against a mono filled with physical attackers.
I'd say this matchup is pretty decent. The dragons are always valuable vs fire, Corv is useless, Talonflame only exists for defog, Kilowattrel and Flamigo are both good but not great. If the fire team has no ground immune, Dragonite is an easy wincon after Torkoal gets chipped. If they do have a ground immune, you'll need to poke a few extra holes with Salamence before attempting to deal more damage with Dragonite later on. Thunder wave is also valuable since the only fire type immune to it is Rotom Heat, who dies to the dragon duo.
Ice spinner Dragonite is naturally S tier in the mirror matchup. It's also nice having 2 decent Kilowattrel checks that isn't Kilowattrel itself. Since both you and your opponent are fighting to keep Kilowattrel alive, don't bother with iron defense Corv. But don't sack it either unless you're confident that Kilowattrel and Talonflame can handle Flamigo. Speaking of Talonflame, it's also pretty good here. Since Dragonite is both your win cons, being able to switch in and burn them is really good. If Salamence helps this matchup in any way, it'll be due to it's surprise factor. You can try to snag a kill or 2 with Mence before it goes down, but the opponent can figure out the set pretty quickly and then Salamence's usefulness will hinge on how good you are at reads.
Not sure what advice to give here. This team's really weak to fairy and most ghost teams run both Flutter Mane and Mimikyu. I'll update this later if I figure something out.
I'd be shocked if you lost this matchup. It's bad enough that Rotom Mow gets completely walled by Kilowattrel. But every mon on this team can murder grass in some way. It doesn't help that Cradily and Ferrothorn got dexited either. To eliminate any hope mono grass has left, never give Breloom a safe switch into Dragonite or Corv so it can't outspeed and threaten a spore. If Breloom does come in, use Corviknight to absorb the spore. This makes it so the Breloom can't read the switch and use rock tomb instead. Although if you see a sweep with Corv, get Kilowattrel or Flamigo to absorb it instead.
Ground's defensive core is really annoying here. I always want to set up a Dragonite or Corviknight sweep but Gastrodon, Ting Lu and dragon tail Garchomp keep denying it. Instead, you'll want to abuse specs mence. You will need to get the right predicts with hydro pump so you can't exactly rely on Salamence alone for the whole game. Sandy Shocks is another huge threat, since Kilowattrel (who's useless against every other ground type) is the only switch in. And god forbid you face a power gem Sandy Shocks.
Against mono ice, you need to do everything you can to set up Corviknight. Best case scenario, you lead Corv immediately, your opponent can't do anything about it and you Corv all over the place. If that doesn't happen, it's probably because they're running Rotom Frost, got freeze hax, or they just got really good cursed body luck on taunt Froslass. Whatever it is, you'll need to do something about it before the opponent sets up a sweep of their own. Talonflame and Flamigo are obvious answers, but you'll need to know when to bring them out and when the opponent will likely try to go for a sweep. This matchup is stressful but iron defense corv at least makes it doable.
I haven't fought enough normal teams yet, I'll update this later
I haven't fought enough poison teams yet, I'll update this later
I haven't fought enough psychic teams yet, I'll update this later
This one is basically a slightly harder version of the ice matchup. Iron defense Corv makes it beatable but it's still a hard matchup. You'll have to take down rock's corv checks before rock overwhelms your team and maybe you'll survive.
Specs boosted flamethrower helps a ton here. Talonflame is also important to keep alive not just because it's a fire type, but because it can remove Klefki's screens with defog. If you can, do everything in your power to kill their Corviknight. Thanks to scrappy, Corviknight and Klefki are the only things stopping Flamigo from commiting mass genocide. Oh and try to scout Klefki in case it starts spamming thunder wave.
Hurricane goes kinda crazy here. Salamence and Kilowattrel are gonna be your main offensive mons for the early game. Save Dragonite for the mid-late game. If one of water's physical attackers is giving you trouble, feel free to sack Talonflame. Bonus points if you get a burn off. The hard part is breaking water's defensive mons since Kilowattrel gets walled by Gastrodon and Salamence already has a lot of weight on it's shoulders. You can't really sack mence either because it's the team's Dondozo check. You'll just need to pilot your Salamence well and use your emergency Dragonite when needed.

You can scream at me if you want. I'm screaming at myself too. Mono flying is really bad rn and I want to make it work so if you have anything you suggest I change, feel free to give feedback (i mean that's kind of the point of an rmt). Thanks for reading if you've made it this far!

Last edited:
o/
I obviously have nothing to speak on when it comes to flying, I'm at best a subpar grass main, but I would like to ask...
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn / Will-o-wisp
- Defog
- Roost
Does the Talonflame have to be physdef? Is there merit for a more specially defensive set?

Hi, flying is quite funny to use altho as u said it isn't that great in this moment, but I like it fo some matchups. Special / Specs Salamence isn't that uncommon (it's more a set outside mono as sala doesn't have that much usage in ss / sv mono) The problem of this team is that you surely don't have speed control, scarf Flamingo can help not getting 6-0ed by any Specs special attacker faster than Kilowattrel but other than that it is too slow for this gen. The only archetypes i have seen and been using are the french Peli+Specs Kilo and just really offense with spam of setup sweepers such as WP agility corvi, dd dnite etc. Those are some changes i am sure aren't impacting too much your team but are slightly improvements altho I would change some other things as well and ill talk about that later.

Major changes:
:iron-jugulis: > :flamigo: As I said Flamigo is kinda slow this gen while Jugulis can help more. You still keep the dark resistane so you don't almost autolose to some Dark priorities like Kingambits+Chien Pao being very annoying. Jugulis still has U-turn for momentum and Hurricane / Dark pulse stabs that are solid stabs and Flamethrower as coverage. Ig Air Slash can be also used but Hurri's power is really important for matchups like Dragon.

Code:
Iron Jugulis @ Choice Scarf 
Ability: Quark Drive 
Tera Type: Dark 
Timid Nature 
- Hurricane 
- U-turn 
- Dark Pulse 
- Flamethrower

Minor changes:

:dragonite: I really suggest Choice band as it really helps a lot against Ice-types and Dragon setup sweepers. For example, Dragon mons can try and setup on you pretty easily against many mons and you just have to chip them down and clean them with Dragonite. Espeed is also helpful for some mons such as Chien Pao and overall is really strong and does tons of damage, which is helfpul when your team is spamming Voltturn, and in combination with Iron Jugulis it makes many matchups easier.
Code:
Dragonite @ Choice Band 
Tera Type: Dragon 
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Extreme Speed 
- Earthquake 
- Outrage 
- Ice Spinner
:corviknight: The set is fine but having as only Defogger Talonflame is quite meh. Talonflame is fine but its bulk its really mediocre and can get worn down easily by many types so double Defog has been used to avoid this problem, but then the only setup set you could run is probably BU + Brave Bird or eventually ID + BP altho ghosts becomes hard even with scarf Jugulis. I think u want u-Turn to be pivotting a lot altho I love both BU + BB and U-turn sets on corvi but prolly U-turn is better here to allow you to furthermore chip your opponent by pivotting with other mons / allowing Salamence or Dnite to get free hits on faster or slower threats. Probably Body Press / Iron Head + U-turn + Defog + Roost should do well.

Code:
Corviknight @ Leftovers 
Tera Type: Flying 
Careful Nature 
IVs: 29 Spe 
- U-turn 
- Iron Head 
- Roost 
- Defog
I guess they both hit kinda the same Ice mons but Iron head at least can hit some ghosts as well if needed, like Dragapult or Mane, while also helping a bit against fairies such as Hatterene.

:kilowattrel:
I will say some extra things in a bit, but overall I guess there isn't much you can do but probably running Tbolt>Twave and U-turn>Volt Switch could be an idea altho you surely have enough U-turns to don't worry about grounds, but it can be an idea altho Thunder Wave looks funny even if I haven't tried it and i am unsure where it could be helpful, but overall Tbolt might still feel better as it helps you 2hkoing some mons that otherwise might create trouble.

The team with my suggestions would look like this:
https://pokepast.es/088e6c76e895a70a

I think Salamence isn't too great here tho and I really enjoyed the Pelipper teams as Specs Kilowattrel helps against a lot of matchups while Rain can allow Jugulis to clean up with Hurricane much easier. Kilowattrel is kinda meh but Thunder and Hurricane can compensate this lack of power, while Peli isn't really useless as it could run Ice Beam + Hurri to deal some chip damage while pivotting.
https://pokepast.es/339116f4b1a77116 You basically just replace Sala with Peli and I used a similar team yesterday in the Welcome Tour ( https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen9monotype-1748611273-j43gt8nn8crvd5wm0d85hruehedbrpppw) and I think it is pretty solid and can deal with many types altho you will never have the better matchup if not against obvious types such as Bug and Grass or maybe even Ground. Sala should be still cool along with Band Dnite with this Voltturn spam so you can probably try both, let me know if you have any question!

o/
I obviously have nothing to speak on when it comes to flying, I'm at best a subpar grass main, but I would like to ask...

Does the Talonflame have to be physdef? Is there merit for a more specially defensive set?
Physdef is just to try and make Flame Body work. I like running WoW regardless as that mon is just too frail and u still don't love that recoil as u are already dying from basically anything but yea the main idea is to try and punish some mons such as Kingambit or Chien Pao

Neko

When you live for love, how precious life can be
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributor
:sv/dragonite::sv/salamence::sv/corviknight::sv/talonflame::sv/kilowattrel::sv/flamigo:
Click for the paste!

Ok hear me out. I wanted to run dual dragon types to compensate for just how bad Kilowattrel is as an electric check. Dragonite is obviously mandatory on every gen 9 flying team. The only other dragon flying type that seemed good enough was Salamence. I also wanted a special attacker that wasn't Kilowattrel. I'd normally use Iron Jugulis for this role, but Iron Jugulis isn't neutral to electric, nor does it have a powerful stab draco meteor to hit most pokemon for neutral damage. There's also the obvious surprise factor because if you're expecting dragon dance mence as let's say a water player, you might want to switch to Dondozo only for the Salamence to 2HKO it with a specs boosted draco meteor. Anyways, here's my monstrocity of a team now.

:sv/dragonite:
:dragonite:Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots:
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Spinner
- Extreme Speed
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite is one of the 2 pokemon in gen 9 mono flying that's absolutely mandatory right now. It's easily the best flying type that isn't weak to electric, has good coverage options including extreme speed, and even has enough bulk to (sometimes) live ice type attacks with multiscale. Earthquake is needed for electric types and ice spinner is for most pokemon who are immune to or resist ground. Extreme speed is also there because there's no reason not to run espeed Dragonite.

:sv/salamence:
:salamence:Salamence @ Choice Specs :choice-specs:
Ability: Intimidate
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Hurricane
- Hydro Pump
- Flamethrower

This is your cue to laugh. I love and hate this Salamence set. On paper, it seems like dragon dance mence or other specs users would completely outclass it but I think it works? Stab draco meteor is good to have and specs boosted hurricane is especially hilarious against rain. As I've said before, it also beats Donbozo. Overall, the ground, water, fire, electric and steel matchups get slightly better with mence and it's surprisingly not horrible as a wallbreaker. Also, it looks cool.

:sv/corviknight:
:corviknight:Corviknight @ Leftovers:leftovers:
Careful Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost

Corv is the 2nd pokemon that's absolutely mandatory in gen 9 flying. It doesn't matter if you're running a standard defensive pivot, iron defense or whatever. You need a Corviknight. I'm running iron defense because it does a better job vs ice, ground, and any team with limited special attackers. Iron head is needed for fairy and ghost, so in theory, a bulk up set could also work but that doesn't provide as much immediate bulk. I might consider bulk up as an alternative tho.

:sv/talonflame:
Impish Nature
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn / Will-o-wisp
- Defog
- Roost

God I wish I had Moltres. Not running defog corv means I had to run another defogger instead. Bulky Talonflame is really my only viable option for this role. It obviously helps vs ice and steel, but also acts as a check for many physical attackers with flame body and will o wisp. Alternatively, you can run u turn over will o wisp for more pivoting. Bulky talonflame is just an overall good pokemon for the team.

:sv/kilowattrel:
:kilowattrel:Kilowattrel @ Heavy-Duty Boots :heavy-duty-boots:
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hurricane
- Thunder Wave
- Roost

These last 2 slots are pokemon I really didn't want to run but I had to out of necessity. Say hello to gen 9 flying's only electric immunity. I have really little to say about this mon. Thunder wave can cripple offensive mons, but that's assuming they can't get it in the red with a single attack. I'd also like to mention how it's completely walled by other electric types. Flying's only electric immunity being walled by electric is not a good sign and it's the main reason this mon isn't 100% mandatory for flying despite still being really important. If any of you have a better Kilowattrel set than this, I'm all ears.

:sv/flamigo:
:flamigo:Flamigo @ Choice Scarf :choice-scarf:
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Brave Bird
- Fling
- U-turn

Scarf Flamigo is great for covering dark. It's also your backup wincon vs ice if something goes wrong and Corviknight dies. Besides that, it's a decent enough pick that can revenge kill unboosted mons. Fling seems like a really weird 3rd move but I have no idea what else to run. I've tried liquidation before and I never clicked it once. A stab move other than the 2 I already have probably won't deal enough damage. Plus, dual stab + u turn is all Flamigo ever uses. Might as well have a button to throw away your scarf in case of emergency.
Not sure how you lose to bug here. Your best course of action is to abuse Flamigo and Salamence as much as you can. This will obviously poke a ton of holes in their team and make it hard for Volc to come in. As soon as their special attackers die, sweep with Corv. Keep Dragonite at full hp for good measure.
With Chi Yu gone, dark's only real special attackers are Iron Jugulis and maybe Hydreigon. If the opponent doesn't have one or if they faint, it's corvin' time. Sableye can also stop a corv sweep with it's ghost typing and will o wisp. In that case, try to keep Salamence alive to deal with dark's few defensive mons. Talonflame is also important for burning their physical attackers. For teams without the bowl boy, Kilowattrel can spam t wave and obviously, don't get Flamigo killed.
This one is a bit tougher. Baxcalibur, Garchomp and Ice spinner Dragonite are all big threats that can get a free sub with Cyclizar if you're not careful. Corv seems like it can sweep on paper but watch out for specs Dragapult and dragon tail Garchomp. Salamence is really hard to get in but if you somehow can, a draco meteor basically forces a sack. You also want Flamigo alive since it can outspeed +1 Baxcalibur. Status spreading also works. Not sure what else to say here.
Stab Draco meteor is pretty good here. Keep your dragons and Kilowattrel alive, don't hesitate to sack Corv, burn the iron hands, find a way to kill Rotom Wash and Eelektross, then pray for mercy.
Yes, this team is incredibly weak to fairy. Klefki is especially a huge threat. If it has thunder wave, most of the team's offensive pressure is ruined, so it's best to scout the Klefki before trying to murder it. Also, there's no fairy ground type. Yep, Kilowattrel here wants to spam thunder wave to at least try to shut down fairy's threats. You can also safely pivot with volt switch. Don't bother setting up with Corv. Just use it as a flutter mane switch in and hope you don't get spdef dropped. Besides that, I don't know what else to say. It's just a really tough matchup.
This isn't gen 8 anymore. Fighting actually has a pretty good shot at beating flying. The main threats are gonna be Iron Valiant and Iron Hands. Try to status both of them if possible. Flamigo can also revenge kill non-scarfed Valiant. Salamence will be relying a lot on hurricane so if you're confident Valiant won't come in, use Draco Meteor instead to minimize rng. Again, Talonflame and Corv are also great against a mono filled with physical attackers.
I'd say this matchup is pretty decent. The dragons are always valuable vs fire, Corv is useless, Talonflame only exists for defog, Kilowattrel and Flamigo are both good but not great. If the fire team has no ground immune, Dragonite is an easy wincon after Torkoal gets chipped. If they do have a ground immune, you'll need to poke a few extra holes with Salamence before attempting to deal more damage with Dragonite later on. Thunder wave is also valuable since the only fire type immune to it is Rotom Heat, who dies to the dragon duo.
Ice spinner Dragonite is naturally S tier in the mirror matchup. It's also nice having 2 decent Kilowattrel checks that isn't Kilowattrel itself. Since both you and your opponent are fighting to keep Kilowattrel alive, don't bother with iron defense Corv. But don't sack it either unless you're confident that Kilowattrel and Talonflame can handle Flamigo. Speaking of Talonflame, it's also pretty good here. Since Dragonite is both your win cons, being able to switch in and burn them is really good. If Salamence helps this matchup in any way, it'll be due to it's surprise factor. You can try to snag a kill or 2 with Mence before it goes down, but the opponent can figure out the set pretty quickly and then Salamence's usefulness will hinge on how good you are at reads.
Not sure what advice to give here. This team's really weak to fairy and most ghost teams run both Flutter Mane and Mimikyu. I'll update this later if I figure something out.
I'd be shocked if you lost this matchup. It's bad enough that Rotom Mow gets completely walled by Kilowattrel. But every mon on this team can murder grass in some way. It doesn't help that Cradily and Ferrothorn got dexited either. To eliminate any hope mono grass has left, never give Breloom a safe switch into Dragonite or Corv so it can't outspeed and threaten a spore. If Breloom does come in, use Corviknight to absorb the spore. This makes it so the Breloom can't read the switch and use rock tomb instead. Although if you see a sweep with Corv, get Kilowattrel or Flamigo to absorb it instead.
Ground's defensive core is really annoying here. I always want to set up a Dragonite or Corviknight sweep but Gastrodon, Ting Lu and dragon tail Garchomp keep denying it. Instead, you'll want to abuse specs mence. You will need to get the right predicts with hydro pump so you can't exactly rely on Salamence alone for the whole game. Sandy Shocks is another huge threat, since Kilowattrel (who's useless against every other ground type) is the only switch in. And god forbid you face a power gem Sandy Shocks.
Against mono ice, you need to do everything you can to set up Corviknight. Best case scenario, you lead Corv immediately, your opponent can't do anything about it and you Corv all over the place. If that doesn't happen, it's probably because they're running Rotom Frost, got freeze hax, or they just got really good cursed body luck on taunt Froslass. Whatever it is, you'll need to do something about it before the opponent sets up a sweep of their own. Talonflame and Flamigo are obvious answers, but you'll need to know when to bring them out and when the opponent will likely try to go for a sweep. This matchup is stressful but iron defense corv at least makes it doable.
I haven't fought enough normal teams yet, I'll update this later
I haven't fought enough poison teams yet, I'll update this later
I haven't fought enough psychic teams yet, I'll update this later
This one is basically a slightly harder version of the ice matchup. Iron defense Corv makes it beatable but it's still a hard matchup. You'll have to take down rock's corv checks before rock overwhelms your team and maybe you'll survive.
Specs boosted flamethrower helps a ton here. Talonflame is also important to keep alive not just because it's a fire type, but because it can remove Klefki's screens with defog. If you can, do everything in your power to kill their Corviknight. Thanks to scrappy, Corviknight and Klefki are the only things stopping Flamigo from commiting mass genocide. Oh and try to scout Klefki in case it starts spamming thunder wave.
Hurricane goes kinda crazy here. Salamence and Kilowattrel are gonna be your main offensive mons for the early game. Save Dragonite for the mid-late game. If one of water's physical attackers is giving you trouble, feel free to sack Talonflame. Bonus points if you get a burn off. The hard part is breaking water's defensive mons since Kilowattrel gets walled by Gastrodon and Salamence already has a lot of weight on it's shoulders. You can't really sack mence either because it's the team's Dondozo check. You'll just need to pilot your Salamence well and use your emergency Dragonite when needed.

You can scream at me if you want. I'm screaming at myself too. Mono flying is really bad rn and I want to make it work so if you have anything you suggest I change, feel free to give feedback (i mean that's kind of the point of an rmt). Thanks for reading if you've made it this far!
Hi I think this team is pretty cool, but I'll try to give my own 2 cats about it. Madara's rate is nice though, but this is something like another option, of sorts.

:salamence: -> :iron-jugulis:
As a Choice Specs user, Jugulis is just a straight upgrade to Mence imo, being faster than threats like Sandy Shocks, has pivoting, not quad weak to Ice...yea, he's neat for almost every aspect bar intimidate. So, in case you want to drop the meme, swapping Mence for Jugulis is an easy decision to make.
Iron Jugulis @ Choice Specs
Ability: Quark Drive
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Dark Pulse
- Flamethrower
- U-turn / Hydro Pump (if you hate Nacl)

Iron Defense Corv is fine, but I'd tweak the spread to be much more physically defensive to deal with Baxcalibur and Chien Pao. This is up to you though. 4 Atk EVs also guarantees you OHKO flutter mane. You do have Flamigo though, but Bax can run Ice Shard...which just OHKOs it.
+1 252+ Atk Baxcalibur Icicle Crash vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Corviknight: 178-211 (44.5 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 208 Def / 48 SpD
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Body Press
- Iron Defense
- Roost

:talonflame:
Flare Blitz feels very ehh in a sense that the recoil feels quite crippling in the long run. Highly suggest to use Flamethrower instead, albeit its a bit weaker.

:kilowattrel:
U-turn over Volt Switch lets you unconditionally pivot in Jugulis so that it breaks stuff even more :D. You'd have to drop Thunder Wave for an actual electric move however (like discharge or thunderbolt)

:flamigo:
No fling allowed >:(
Jokes aside, there's very little merit to fling your scarf in today's super fast meta.

Here's the final version of the team based on my suggestions...

I hoped this helped :blobnom:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)