SS OU Specs Kyurem Balanced OU

I normally don't make many of my own teams but usually pick out teams i like and change them to my playstyle but lately i thought i'd just went with the idea of making a team around Specs kyurem since i really like using it in Gen 8 OU. This is what i came up with and i'd love to hear feedback and some criticism on what to improve for this team. My current rank is swaying around the 1500-ish with occasional boosts to 1600's.

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Freeze-Dry
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon

The main deal i made my team around: Awesome wallbreaker with great coverage here to break down enemy walls like toxapex, Clefable and Amoonguss, even being able to hit other water types like kingdra, azumarill, pelipper or the rare barraskewda with freeze-dry. Draco meteor is here to just hit things hard when they lack any fairy types and flash cannon is here to take care of clefable. Earth power is less necessary after the magearna ban but it's still really handy to have to hit things like Excadrill, Alolan-Marowak and Torkoal.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Excadrill is my choice for hazard control and for hazard setting in my team. I like using the Sp Def build here for things like clefable, some varients of dragapult, hydreigon, Scarf togekiss with mono attacking air slash. Eq is obviously here for my strongest stab ground move to still be able to hit opponents hard, Rapid Spin and Stealth Rocks explain themselves and Toxic is here to cripple potential defoggers switching in like mandibuzz or the rotom appliances. Leftovers is needed to still be able to get some recovery after taking hits.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish
- Knock Off

I really like using Clefable in this generation as a great counter for the everpresent Urshifu. Magic guard is amazing if hazards are on my side and it takes care of opposing toxic's. Kyurem can't get any recovery on it's on so that's why i wanted wish passing to keep it healthy after taking potention Hazard damage or after opposing hits from faster pokemon. Soft-boiled is needed to survive hits from urshifu while it's trying to wish pass and i chose knock off to be able to remove heavy-duty boots or potential choice items.

Zeraora @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Plasma Fists
- Volt Switch
- Blaze Kick
- Close Combat

I needed a speed tier for my team and zeraora seems really solid, being able to get kyurem in on weak targets after volt switch makes him even stronger. Heavy-duty boots to keep it healthy after repeatedly volt switching on the enemy team. I need Close combat for things like Excadrill, Urshifu and Hydreigon. I initally ran Knock Off over Blaze Kick To take care of Dragapult but i noticed my team really struggled with dealing with Ferrothorn so i swapped Knock off out since i have excadrill and clefable to deal with Dragapult.

Slowbro @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Teleport
- Future Sight

I wanted to run a regenerator core for my last 2 pokemon so i decided to go with slowbro and amoonguss. It's a pretty basic moveset, Scald is here to cripple physicals attackers with burn. Heavy-duty boots so it doesn't get crippled by T-Spikes or other hazards. Teleport is here for more pivoting that benefits Kyurem. Slack off is for staying healty and Future is here to punish Pokemon trying to swap in after I teleport out. Max defense will make it a good anti-rain wall as well as an Urshifu Rapid Strike counter. Might still swap the item to rocky helmet to punish U-turn but right now i think heavy-duty is better.

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 168 Def / 92 SpD
Bold Nature
- Spore
- Toxic
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

As i said before, my last pokemon is Amoonguss: A strong mixed wall that can cripple things with spore and toxic while healing back with regenerator. It gives me a check to non grassy seed acrobatics Rillaboom, Tangrowth and Zeraora. Putting things to sleep with spore will allow my offensive core to be able to hit harder if revenge killers like Zeraora or Dragapult are asleep. Toxic is here as a 2nd status for grass types or when i have already slept an opponent (or for overcoat mandibuzz). Dual Stab will still allow it to hit hard against things it crippled with sleep or poison.

I'd love to hear feedback and/or Advice on what people think of one of my first self-made teams. Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Update:
Changed Slowbro to bulky Choice Band Azumarill totake care of Volcarona

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Knock Off
- Liquidation

With max HP i only take around 35% off a +0 psychic from offensive volcarona and aqua jet will always guarantee a one shot. I swapped Slowbro out because i was feeling it's role wasn't necessary for my team. All my walls would get destroyed by volcarona and i wanted priority on this team so bulky Azumarill was my decision to fill the gap that was in my team.

Pissog

ولكل سؤال كانت فلسطين هي الجواب
is a Top Artist
:clefable:
teleport>soft boiled & protect>knock off
teleport in my eyes is a must have move, being able to switchin kyurem without worrying about chip dmg or status condition is amazing. also, kyurem is pretty bulky, even without investments can easily tank one or two non supereffective moves from the most famous ou threaths, so it is ESSENTIAL that kyurem arrives full at the end game and teleport fable enables just that.
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport

:crawdaunt: > :azumarill:
not much to say, crawdaunt is much more versatile and effective against ou walls
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet

Last edited:
:clefable:
teleport>soft boiled & protect>knock off
teleport in my eyes is a must have move, being able to switchin kyurem without worrying about chip dmg or status condition is amazing. also, kyurem is pretty bulky, even without investments can easily tank one or two non supereffective moves from the most famous ou threaths, so it is ESSENTIAL that kyurem arrives full at the end game and teleport fable enables just that.
Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Teleport

:crawdaunt: > :azumarill:
not much to say, crawdaunt is much more versatile and effective against ou walls
Crawdaunt @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Crabhammer
- Aqua Jet
Thanks for the tips, i'll try out crawdaunt and see how it'll fare!

Change your kyurem set to this:

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast/Earth Power

These moves are generally the best for kyurem. Draco hits non steels and fairies like a truck. Ice Beam is a great stab option that's generally preferred over flash cannon because both moves 2hko clefable and destroys grass, flying, ground, and dragon types. Freeze dry is there to hit water types for super effective damage which ohkos slowbro and a 75% chance to ohko pex. Now you can use your last slot for earth power but that only really hits magnezone. Focus blast ohkos mag and has a 87.5% to ohko ferrothorn and is 100% after rocks. It can even 2hko blissey which has 255 hp and 135 spd. Yeah its a nuke.

Change your kyurem set to this:

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Freeze-Dry
- Draco Meteor
- Focus Blast/Earth Power

These moves are generally the best for kyurem. Draco hits non steels and fairies like a truck. Ice Beam is a great stab option that's generally preferred over flash cannon because both moves 2hko clefable and destroys grass, flying, ground, and dragon types. Freeze dry is there to hit water types for super effective damage which ohkos slowbro and a 75% chance to ohko pex. Now you can use your last slot for earth power but that only really hits magnezone. Focus blast ohkos mag and has a 87.5% to ohko ferrothorn and is 100% after rocks. It can even 2hko blissey which has 255 hp and 135 spd. Yeah its a nuke.
Didn't know ice beam also 2 hit ko's clef, thanks for letting me know, I'll make sure to change it

Don't you find yourself missing Iron Head on Excadrill, especially against the likes of Hatterene or Clefable? I know you can Toxic the first one, but Calm Mind variants of both can be problematic if you miss Crabhammer with Crawdaunt. I think you should definitely have both STABs on Excadrill, thus my suggestion to switch Stealth Rock with Iron Head on you Excadrill. Clefable is perfecly fine as a Stealth Rocker. Plus, Crawdaunt is an eccellent addition as a wall breaker alongside Kyurem, as already been suggested, but if you run those two, you most definitely need to have Knock Off on Zeraora to reliably check Dragapult, otherwise that's a massive threat.
At last, I have a couple spreads to suggest.

First off, your spread is important because max def Clefable, alongside Galarian Weezing, is the closest thing able to withstand the new absurd Urshifu set that's been popping out, Life Orb Adamant. Your spread allows Clefable to barely live Wicked Blow / Close Combat on the switch + Iron Head / Poison Jab with Leftovers. There's no way it survives without them, so you might as well account for them. If you wish to run this spread, I would run 4 EVs in speed because without Teleport it's actually more valuable to have the highest chance of outspeeding opposing Clefable or Galarian Weezing, rather than a random point in another stat.
It's worth noting that you can take some EVs from defense until you have 220 of them to still survive that combination from Urshifu. This allows Clefable to have 36 EVs to spare, which if put into special attack, of all things, maximize the chance to OHKO uninvested Hawlucha (99.6% chance, literally if it survives it's with 1 HP). Or you can just put some in SpDef and Spe for miscellaneous reasons (I would suggest a bit in speed)

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

This is the alternative spread I'll like to show you. Of course this doesn't survive the insanity that is Life Orb Adamant Urshifu, but lives 2 hits of both STABs even without Leftovers from the Choice Band Adamant version. The rest is invested in SpDef because now you can actually survive two boosted Hex from Modest non-Specs Dragapult with Leftovers. (you actually only just need 124 for this so you can have the remaining 20 for speed if you want, but I just put the maximum for simplicity). This set frees Excadrill to have its STAB and, albeit less reliably than the Teleport set, can still be useful for Kyurem through Wish.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 HP / 76 Atk / 28 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

This extremely chinese EV spread does a number of cool things. First off, survives one Close Combat and two Aura Spheres from Zeraora after Stealth Rocks, plus hits the magic 3HKO from Dragapult's Hex number, while always 2HKOing any Clefable, with any item, with Iron Head. Plus, you always live an unboosted Overheat from Rotom-Heat. I would run this set for your team

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 16 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Very simple, this is tailored for Azumarill's Aqua Jet. You always live a +6 one after TWO rounds of Stealth Rock (which also means that if you happen to find the odd one in rain, you still survive after one round of Stealth Rocks). Kyurem's speed tier of 317 with Timid is odd in OU, it doesn't really do much. The next faster, relevant speed tier in OU are Jolly Urshifu at 322, while the next slower is Jolly Excadrill at 302. I decided to put some more to outspeed random Jolly Krookodile (311) if you ever face ones.

Hope this helped! Nice team though, Kyurem is definitely underrated and alongside Zeraora is definitely a giant threat!

Don't you find yourself missing Iron Head on Excadrill, especially against the likes of Hatterene or Clefable? I know you can Toxic the first one, but Calm Mind variants of both can be problematic if you miss Crabhammer with Crawdaunt. I think you should definitely have both STABs on Excadrill, thus my suggestion to switch Stealth Rock with Iron Head on you Excadrill. Clefable is perfecly fine as a Stealth Rocker. Plus, Crawdaunt is an eccellent addition as a wall breaker alongside Kyurem, as already been suggested, but if you run those two, you most definitely need to have Knock Off on Zeraora to reliably check Dragapult, otherwise that's a massive threat.
At last, I have a couple spreads to suggest.

First off, your spread is important because max def Clefable, alongside Galarian Weezing, is the closest thing able to withstand the new absurd Urshifu set that's been popping out, Life Orb Adamant. Your spread allows Clefable to barely live Wicked Blow / Close Combat on the switch + Iron Head / Poison Jab with Leftovers. There's no way it survives without them, so you might as well account for them. If you wish to run this spread, I would run 4 EVs in speed because without Teleport it's actually more valuable to have the highest chance of outspeeding opposing Clefable or Galarian Weezing, rather than a random point in another stat.
It's worth noting that you can take some EVs from defense until you have 220 of them to still survive that combination from Urshifu. This allows Clefable to have 36 EVs to spare, which if put into special attack, of all things, maximize the chance to OHKO uninvested Hawlucha (99.6% chance, literally if it survives it's with 1 HP). Or you can just put some in SpDef and Spe for miscellaneous reasons (I would suggest a bit in speed)

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 148 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Wish

This is the alternative spread I'll like to show you. Of course this doesn't survive the insanity that is Life Orb Adamant Urshifu, but lives 2 hits of both STABs even without Leftovers from the Choice Band Adamant version. The rest is invested in SpDef because now you can actually survive two boosted Hex from Modest non-Specs Dragapult with Leftovers. (you actually only just need 124 for this so you can have the remaining 20 for speed if you want, but I just put the maximum for simplicity). This set frees Excadrill to have its STAB and, albeit less reliably than the Teleport set, can still be useful for Kyurem through Wish.

Excadrill @ Leftovers
EVs: 220 HP / 76 Atk / 28 Def / 184 SpD
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic

This extremely chinese EV spread does a number of cool things. First off, survives one Close Combat and two Aura Spheres from Zeraora after Stealth Rocks, plus hits the magic 3HKO from Dragapult's Hex number, while always 2HKOing any Clefable, with any item, with Iron Head. Plus, you always live an unboosted Overheat from Rotom-Heat. I would run this set for your team

Kyurem @ Choice Specs
EVs: 16 HP / 32 Def / 228 SpA / 232 Spe
Timid Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor
- Earth Power

Very simple, this is tailored for Azumarill's Aqua Jet. You always live a +6 one after TWO rounds of Stealth Rock (which also means that if you happen to find the odd one in rain, you still survive after one round of Stealth Rocks). Kyurem's speed tier of 317 with Timid is odd in OU, it doesn't really do much. The next faster, relevant speed tier in OU are Jolly Urshifu at 322, while the next slower is Jolly Excadrill at 302. I decided to put some more to outspeed random Jolly Krookodile (311) if you ever face ones.

Hope this helped! Nice team though, Kyurem is definitely underrated and alongside Zeraora is definitely a giant threat!
Thanks for the tips dude! Definatly gonna make those changes :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)