Tournament Smogon Snake Draft IV DOU Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorBowman

wouldst thou like to live fergaliciously?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Howdy friends, welcome to the Smogon Snake Draft IV DOU discussion thread! Use this thread to talk about DOU games in SSD IV, point out trends, or predict against Croven. I'll update this thread each week with the new matchups!

DOU Players
Rumble Hall Rattlers: Ezrael
Ambrette Astrotias: Paraplegic, Human
Shinto Ruin Serpents: DLT JRL BELL, Mishimono
Lake of Rage Leviathans: Nails, Shadowmonstr7
Black City Mambas: Frania
Lanakila Nagas: Memoric, tenzai
Celadon City Cobras: Qwello Lee, Z Strats
Sky Tower Lindworms: umbreon098, talkingtree
Terminus Taipans: Kiichikos, Nido-Rus
Berry Forest Bushmasters: qsns​

MajorBowman

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
My personal thoughts: I LOVE that we have so many DOU players, this is easily the most we've had in a trophy tournament and I'm super excited about that. A lot of players deservedly getting their first crack at a team tournament too, I'm really really looking forward to seeing how everything unfolds. Good luck to everyone!

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[RAT] Ezrael (55) vs (45) qsns [BUS] Hl game between 2 experienced top 3 players. I give a slight edge to Ezrael because it's hard to predict against him due to his recent results in team tours. Should be a fun and good game to watch. Really looking forward to see what kind of team qsns brings.

[AST] Paraplegic (65) vs (35) Kiichikos [TAI] I don't see kichikos winning if both players bring standard teams, luckily for her Nido-Rus is on her team so this shouldn't be a problem if the teambuilding relies on him. Anyways, Paraplegic is more solid and proven in ss and he has good takes on new metagames, big edge.

[SER] DLT JRL BELL (45) vs (55) umbreon098 [LIN] Umbry is the new face in team tours i'm most hyped to see, she's more solid and is most likely to bring a better team but jrl is on a good streak and is luckier so I predict this to be a close game.

[LEV] Nails (70) vs (30) Qwello Lee [COB] In theory this is the most one-sided game, honestly I don't see qwello winning unless he cheeses; call it trick room, call it psyspam, call it contrary shuckle... z strats is on his team tho so this is likely to happen, will it be enough to succeed? :x

[MAM] Frania (45) vs (55) Memoric [NAG] Another game I'm looking forward to see. I don't think this metagame benefits frania's playstyle, although frania always has a good mindset for team tours and he's competitive af so if he tryhards this shouldn't be that much of a problem. Memoric has been playing well lately and as long as spl ghosts don't haunt him he should be fine. I'm giving him a slight edge because I think his, for moments, reckless playstyle will be good on this game.

Last edited by a moderator:

sawamura

Banned deucer.
[RAT] Ezrael vs qsns [BUS]: I honestly see ezrael in all my bets due to his great ability to read match ups and apply pressure. I am not a fan of Qsns but I have seen it in many recognized tournaments and for being there I have to admit that it is an Excellent Player. But I go for Ezrael in 80% of the matches.

[AST] Paraplegic vs Kiichikos [TAI]: Effort and dedication are something that goes hand in hand with Paraplegic as he has shown great strength in construction and playability. It's a thrill every time I see it. Play However Kiichikos A great friend of mine from SM but I have to decide on Paraplegic. I am quite excited about this Game

[SER] DLT JRL BELL vs umbreon098 [LIN]: I can't go against one of my best friends from Largo including that Mishiimono is there and it's really exciting to see him on his First SSD. The Hype That Comes Dragging Since the Season Start has been Spectacular. Umbreom has a good reading ability and great ability to create. I expect a lot from this match

[LEV] Nails vs Qwello Lee [COB]: I like the match but I can't predict who will be the winner here

[MAM] Frania vs Memoric [NAG]: Without a doubt the Game of the week. They both have a Fabulous Journey through Generations of Pokemon. But Glenn is my Token for this Occasion. However, Frania wishes you good luck in this Smogon Snake Draft. The match where I am most anxious

Gl All in this Tour

MajorBowman

Some early upsets and cool teams during Week 1, looks like SSD IV will be a pretty interesting tournament. Time for week 2!

[TAI] Kiichikos vs Ezrael [RAT]
[BUS] qsns vs umbreon098 [LIN]
[AST] Paraplegic vs Qwello Lee [COB]
[SER] DLT JRL BELL vs Memoric [NAG]
[LEV] Nails vs Frania [MAM]

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
*SIX* word predictions this time because I'm a tryhard

[TAI] Kiichikos vs Ezrael [RAT] -- Ezrael won't start out losing twice
[BUS] qsns vs umbreon098 [LIN] -- queen umbry can't lose, sorry qsns
[AST] Paraplegic vs Qwello Lee [COB] -- has edge in building and playing
[SER] DLT JRL BELL vs Memoric [NAG] -- more strong prep, debut nerves gone
[LEV] Nails vs Frania [MAM] -- similar styles, nails slightly stronger imo

SMB

is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SPL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Championis a Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
World Defender
[TAI] Kiichikos (25) vs (75) Ezrael [RAT] Neither had good performances last week. To be fair Ezrael didn't have the chance to play his game because his mu was abysmal. On the other hand kichikos also faced a negative mu but had the chance to play an actual game of pokemon, her plays weren't that bad but when the game was in her favour she didn't negate paraplegic the only chance she had to comeback, plus she wasted the slight chance she had to win the game if paraplegic missed high horsepower clicking double protect fsr. I was expecting more in terms of teambuilding from kichikos-nido. You might have a good reason to use the sets you used but set up in tr is bad unIess you can ohko things and hat just takes too much recoil from life orb and sand, which is really bad if you only have 2 tr setters. The original team has different sets for a reason :/. To conclude, I just don't see Ezrael losing 2 weeks in a row, although if this time kichikos builds/copies the right team and gets a good mu she might have a chance.

[BUS] qsns (55) vs (45) umbreon098 [LIN] Highlight game of the week. Qsns had an easier game than expected last week and umbry had a good showing in her debut, being far behind on the early game until she was able to get a good positioning with her wincon and proceed to win. I'm really looking forward to see this game and I expect good teams and plays from both.

[AST] Paraplegic (65) vs (35) Qwello Lee [COB] Also a good showing from both of these players in their debut in team tours. Paraplegic probably almost throw the game letting kichikos set trick room late on the game but he managed to make some flashy plays and get the win. He also brought a solid team as expected. Qwello managed to do the upset of the week with a solid showing in early and mid game (except for his turn 1 play which i still don't know if it was on purpose or not) and a late game that felt closer than it should have been. I give the edge to paraplegic because i think he's a more solid player in both playing and building but i expect to see some heat from qwello/z strats to take another win.

[SER] DLT JRL BELL (40) vs (60) Memoric [NAG] jrl had the worst start of the debutants. I feel like he could have won his game but he wasn't agressive enough, spreading moves instead of double targetting stuff when he had the upper hand. I didn't like his team either, and I had the chance to watch his ssnl set as well and all of their teams share some exploitable weaknesses that i'm sure someone like tenzai who knows him well can take some advantage of them. Memoric had a nice win with solid plays as expected and a cool team, if he keeps with this trend he's one of the most fearsome players of the pool. Someone please nom hawlucha to tier 4 ._.

[LEV] Nails (55) vs (45) Frania [MAM] I feel like both these players could have done more on their games. Nails almost manages to win somehow when it seemed impossible but the advantage qwello took on the early game was too much, and frania brought a solid team but tried to set up togekiss pretty early and maybe not in the right spot and hawlucha was too much of a threat after that. I think both are motivated in spite of their week 1 losses so they are going to try hard to get the win. I give a slight edge to nails tho because I think he's more proven in ss but the game could go to frania's side as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

MajorBowman

Week 3:

[RAT] Ezrael vs umbreon098 [LIN]
[TAI] Kiichikos vs Qwello Lee [COB]
[BUS] qsns vs Memoric [NAG]
[AST] Paraplegic vs Frania [MAM]
[SER] DLT JRL BELL vs Nails [LEV]

Interesting things so far:
  • We are on track to set a record for the number of times a literal sample team is used in an official team tournament
  • We are also on track to set a record for the number of times two players use the same team in the same week of an official team tournament
  • Two of the 2-0s are first-time team tournament DOU players
  • We're seeing some cool tech mons like Toxtricity and Hawlucha which is pretty fun
  • Speaking of which, Hawlucha has two more wins than Ezrael and I am concerned

SMB

World Defender
[RAT] Ezrael (55) vs (45) umbreon098 [LIN] Umbry is the player I was most hyped to see in snake and for a good reason. Excellent plays and teams from her in the first 2 weeks of the tour. The only "but" in these 2 weeks might be that both of her teams had pretty similar structures but hey, that's fine, it's working for her. Ezrael has been running into some really rough matchups, he hasn't had the chance to play an even game yet. Bringing sun vs an opponent that was likely to hard counterteam (and playing after nails) was a reckless move tho, his plays were good but they didn't end up being enough to beat goth-gigalith-dragalge with sun. If Ezrael gets an even matchup this time he's likely to win, the game should be close tho given how good umbry has been.

[TAI] Kiichikos (45) vs (55) Qwello Lee [COB] Solid showing from Qwello last week to be one of the players with a 2-0 record. Again like I said with umbry, both of their teams were pretty similar so we'll see if he can step out of his comfort zone on future weeks. Kichikos went hard for the counterteam (i'm assuming it was a ct since the team had a pretty bad matchup vs some stuff we've been seeing a lot like sand or kommo-o) and it worked. Props to kichikos tho, because even if you have the matchup you still have to win the game. So, as I said, kichikos has been relying on matchup both games but I don't think this works vs qwello, who is likely to change his playstyle after seeing the kind of teams kichikos brought. This should be an interesting game, I'm curious to see the teams they opt for this week. I'm giving a small edge to qwello because he's been pretty solid overall beating 2 strong players.

[BUS] qsns (45) vs (55) Memoric [NAG] I was expecting to see more of qsns in terms of teambuilding, he just seems to be recycling teams, which is fine as long as they are solid like his w1 team, I'm not too sure about his w2 team, or at least its structure, being good anymore. About memoric, I don't think his w2 team was as solid as the one he brought w1 but solid plays and cm necrozma working wonders vs jrl was enough to get the win. To me this is the hl game of the week, even more than ezrael vs umbry. I feel like teambuilding is going to be a huge factor since you'd expect good plays from both players. I'll give a small edge to memoric because he seems to be trying new stuff, but if qsns brings some heat (literally?) the odds might change.

[AST] Paraplegic (40) vs (60) Frania [MAM] Paraplegic's team last week was just way too passive to get a win at this level, he only had 1 mon that could do actual damage. When I saw these 6 mons i was expecting to see, idk, either band rillaboom, life orb zeraora or nasty plot mew... But nope, they were all bulky sets, which ended up in a lose. Frania's game was kinda exasperating to watch, I'm still wondering what item had necrozma (i'm guessing it was a resist berry or something) and why wasn't it safety goggles. As it happened to paraplegic, some sets on their team seemed suboptimal and they ended up falling to sun offensive pressure. I think frania's playstyle is good vs paraplegic, frania is likely to take some risks that can pay off and paraplegic might give him many chances to do that, like it happened on w1 vs kichikos, or bringing another passive team so I think fran could get his first win this week.

[SER] DLT JRL BELL (35) vs (65) Nails [LEV] JRL lost to a bulky set up mon yet again. At this point idk if the issue is teambuilding or actual plays, but I must say the team he brought this week wasn't weak to all the stuff I noticed most of their teams were clearly weak to so there's that. To be fair on w1 I think he had plenty of resources to deal with corvinight, but on w2 he didn't have enough to deal with cm necrozma and the right support, maybe he should have tried to set tspikes turn 1 but he didn't. Nails on the other hand, got a solid win vs frania after qwello's upset. As I said with qsns I'm curious to see what kind of teams he brings in future weeks because the ones he has played don't tell me much. I feel like jrl has to change his way of approaching games to be able to come back, this might not be the best week to do it since he's playing vs a top 3 player on the pool but yeah.

Last edited:

SMB

World Defender
[LIN] umbreon098 (60) vs (40) Memoric [NAG] The two players with the best records face each other this week, although their records are great the development of both during the tour is just the opposite. Memoric somehow managed to get a win with the classic 0 sleep checks special (I honestly was expecting misty terrain weezing or safety goggles taunt goth / zeraora or something to have a minimum counterplay vs sleep but nope), while umbry keeps beating the top players on the power rankings, last week even with what it seemed a negative matchup. If Memoric keeps being lazy on teambuilding and umbry brings a solid team as usual she should win.

[COB] Qwello Lee (40) vs (60) Ezrael [RAT] 0-3 Ezrael is something that nobody would have expected. On his game vs umbry he seemed to have the upper hand but didn't pull the trigger when he needed to and he also got punished by some unfortunate crits. Qwello lost an even mu where he let die 2 mons trying to overpredict kichikos, so not a very good showing after his good start. Let's see how qwello can recover from his first lose, although ezrael is coming from a worse streak I still predict him to win, because of the 84298432 times he's challenged me to test his team last week i know he's taking the tour seriously, and he's also a much more experienced player, which should be something to consider when both players are coming from loses.

[AST] Paraplegic (65) vs (35) DLT JRL BELL [SER] Paraplegic was about to get an easy win vs frania with ss celesteela until he misclicked and ended up deserving to get critted ._. Anyways it was a solid win where he finished pretty early with frania's only corvinight check and he only needed to find the right turn to set up. Props to him for being the first player who uses the monster that life orb zeraora is. JRL brought a team with cool mons but that, sadly, falls into the category of teams i call as "bad offense". It's curious that a player that I would say is known for playing offense is the only player on the pool who hasn't played a weather team yet. Paraplegic is a more solid player and has a better understanding of what's good and what's not good rn so I give him a big edge for this game.

[LEV] Nails (45) vs (55) qsns [BUS] Nails interesting take with spikes mew worked wonders vs jrl's 6 grounded mons, life orb necrozma was also cool to see. Qsns's game was more complicated, late game looked messy when i saw the game live but i'm not sure if he could have done anything else to win, except maybe not taking dmg on necrozma in an obvious uturn. No tspikes weezing in a corvinight team was interesting but ig he couldn't afford dropping dg and wow is usually a nice support tool for corvinight. Honestly I don't see qsns losing 3 weeks in a row so that's why i'm bolding him, both players are capable of having good takes on building so we might see some cool stuff in this game.

[MAM] Frania (45) vs (55) Kiichikos [TAI] Surprisingly kichikos has been playing really well on every single one of her games, even on her week 1 lose, last week was more of the same with, it has to be said, a bit of help from qwello. On the other hand frania faced corvinight with 5 physical mons and half of an answer to it, which died pretty soon. Coaching zeraora was cool and it helped scizor a ton but yeah idk, doesn't seem to be that good. This set also seemed to be goggles looking at the team? If i'm right dropping taunt for coaching doesn't seem worth it tbh. As I said kichikos is playing pretty well, even though to me frania is a more solid player, he seems to be struggling in this meta and last week game was a clear example of this so I'll bold kichikos in this one.

MajorBowman

delayed round 5 post but it's fine because dou players never play before the weekend anyway!

[RAT] Ezrael vs Memoric [NAG]
[COB] Qwello Lee vs Frania [MAM]
[LIN] umbreon098 vs Nails [LEV]
[TAI] Kiichikos vs DLT JRL BELL [SER]
[BUS] qsns vs Paraplegic [AST]

MajorBowman

Maybe MetalGro$$ will be activated this time...?

[RAT] Ezrael vs Paraplegic [AST]
[SER] Mishimono vs MetalGro$$ [BUS]
[LEV] Nails vs Kiichikos [TAI]
[MAM] Frania vs talkingtree [LIN]
[NAG] Tenzai vs Qwello Lee [COB]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)