Smogon Simple Questions & Suggestions Thread

Aqua Jet

Boba Bitch
is a Contributor to Smogonis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Please consider the creation of an introduction forum for newer (and older!) users to create threads about themselves. Each user would be limited to 1 thread. I feel this should be implemented because it would allow people to search for things like say, "Animal Crossing" in that forum and possibly make new friends they would otherwise not know about. In addition, I feel that it would be beneficial for players to be able to familiarize themselves with different members of different communities, as, in my opinion, Smogon has evolved into a place where people come not just to play competitive Pokemon but to make friends.

When I try to visit this website it says that my ip is banned?? idk where to ask for help and idk why its banned TwT (currently using my phone internet)

Hey, I got a simple question.

If I wanted to host a JAA (Journey Across America) tournament, how would I go about it? I've been thinking about the format a lot lately, and as well with Blisy's recent YouTube vid about re-creating the JAA champion's team on cart, I got really curious about it.

From what I found on Showdown, the JAA format isn't supported, although it's still on Pokemon-Online if we'd have to resort to using that instead of Showdown.

I know there's a tourney application forum, but I don't really know the culture of how Smogon tourneys are ran, so I don't wanna put in some crappy application just for it to get rejected.

So yeah, what would I need to know to host/seed/advertise/etc a JAA format tourney? I possibly plan on making it a circuit with points where the top X in points qualify for a championship tourney. Possibly have pot bonuses for all tourneys, even just the qualifiers. I have experience in TOing Brawl, and even some Gen 5 OU tourneys (albeit on a different small community forum, not Smogon).

If I wanted to go about hosting a JAA format tourney, possibly even a circuit, what would I need to know? Thank you!

Last edited:
Howdy! I've been using showdown since as far back as 2010. Awesome service, couldn't ask for a better battle sim. I have one suggestion for a feature I think would really improve the site for teambuilders! I think it would be really cool to add a "Notes" feature for each pokemon on a team. This section would be collapsible so as to not hurt the ui for mobile users, it maybe you could even have users opt-in as a setting or something. This would be cool for a number of reasons including setting reminders of benchmarks for ev/iv spreads, reasoning for alternate items/moves, or just whatever really. Anyways, keep up the great work!

Theia

Say hello to the robots
is a Tournament Directoris a Site Content Manageris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
User Safety Lead
Howdy! I've been using showdown since as far back as 2010. Awesome service, couldn't ask for a better battle sim. I have one suggestion for a feature I think would really improve the site for teambuilders! I think it would be really cool to add a "Notes" feature for each pokemon on a team. This section would be collapsible so as to not hurt the ui for mobile users, it maybe you could even have users opt-in as a setting or something. This would be cool for a number of reasons including setting reminders of benchmarks for ev/iv spreads, reasoning for alternate items/moves, or just whatever really. Anyways, keep up the great work!
Hiya, super glad you've been enjoying PS!

Suggestions for the simulator should go in the PS! Suggestions forum. This is actually an approved suggestion that is waiting on one of our developers to have the time to implement it.

How does the RBY simulator handle divide by 0 errors in damage calculation? I heard there's a couple ways to get a Defense stat to be handled as 0 in RBY and these errors crash the game

- Overflowing the Defense to be too high by using Withdraw and Reflect on Cloyster to get 0 Defense

- Using Screech on a low level Pokemon 3 times and using Explosion

that doesn't really help me tbh
The "simple answer" is that it's just a system two computer, softwares or otherwise different systems use to communicate with each other.
The user earlier was basically asking if there are ways to get / send data to and from smogon forums from a external software.

Quite Quiet

why fall in love when you can fall asleep
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
that doesn't really help me tbh
API stands for Application Programming Interface. In the context of APIs, the word Application refers to any software with a distinct function. Interface can be thought of as a contract of service between two applications. This contract defines how the two communicate with each other using requests and responses.

There is an API, but only the site owner has access to actually generate those for Smogon because it's not exactly something we use. Functionally it means there's no API for public use that is available for you. See https://xenforo.com/docs/dev/rest-api/.
I checked that site

The "simple answer" is that it's just a system two computer, softwares or otherwise different systems use to communicate with each other.
The user earlier was basically asking if there are ways to get / send data to and from smogon forums from a external software.
true

There is an API, but only the site owner has access to actually generate those for Smogon because it's not exactly something we use. Functionally it means there's no API for public use that is available for you. See https://xenforo.com/docs/dev/rest-api/.
Probably it is for the site owners

there is not currently an API for Smogon or for Xenforo
There is a api for xenforo, but it is for the forum owners, unless it's made public

Hey gang! Want to get into trading events, but am having trouble finding the right section of the forums to do it. I understand it's somewhere in WiFi, but I'm just not seeing it! Anyone point me in the right direction?

sf edit: answered in wifi

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 12)