Smogon Dex Search in Opera

Hello all; I'm brand new to Smogon and the online pokemon world in general. Right off the bat, I'd like to thank chaos and everyone else who has put work into this site for making a great store of information to help a beginner like me get started!

Having browsed through many of the posts on the forums, I've found that there are at least a few Opera users around here. Also I found on the front page that there is a Firefox plugin to allow searches of the Smogon Dex through the browser's built in search bar. I'd be remiss if I didn't make something similar for Opera.

I apologize if all you other Opera users already know how to do/have done this, and this is just a wasted post, but I thought it was worth the effort anyway.

First and easiest, you can add a stand-alone search field to the main bar and/or the address bar one of two ways.

First, you can click and drag the link that follows to whichever bar you wish the search field to appear in and drop it. Click "Yes" at the dialog box and the field will be added.

The link: Smogon Dex

Secondly, you can simply click the link and click "Yes" in the dialog box that pops up. This will open the Appearance window to the "Buttons" tab and automatically select "My Buttons". The last button on the right should now be a search field with "Smogon Dex" written in it. Simply drag that to whichever bar you want the search field in and drop it.

To remove the field later, simply right click on it and select "Remove from toolbar".

Now, for the more complicated option of adding the Smogon Dex as a regular search engine in Opera, you're going to need to shut Opera down. Just copy these instructions into Notepad or whatever if you need them while adding the search.

In order to add a search to Opera, you need to edit a file called "search.ini". All my experience with Opera is on Windows XP, so I can only tell you where it will likely be stored on that operating systems; for others you're going to have to do some searching of your own to find search.ini, though the rest of the instructions should apply.

Go to My Computer, then open your hard drive (this is likely called Local Disk (C:), unless you have more than one hard drive installed.) Next go to Documents and Settings, then open the folder that matches your user name, then the folder called Application Data. (This last folder may be hidden. To show hidden files, go to Tools > Folder Options and click on the View tab. Under "Hidden files and folders" there should be two radio buttons. Click on the button for "Show hidden files and folders, then click OK.)

Now, open the folder called Opera. On my computer, inside that folder is another folder called Opera. I'm not sure if that how it always is, or if that was caused by a goof on my part somewhere along the line. In any case, if you have another "Opera" folder, open it as well. Finally, you should have a folder called Profile. Open it. Inside should be search.ini.

Open search.ini. It should open in Notepad or whatever else you use as a default text editor. Scroll the the bottom of the file. If you've never editted search.ini before, the bottom entry should look like this, I believe:

[Search Engine 32]
Name=Translation
URL=http://redir.opera.com/translation/?text=%s&from=ja&to=en
Query=
Key=
Is post=0
Has endseparator=0
Encoding=EUC-JP
Search Type=119
Verbtext=17063
Position=-1
Nameid=0

Of course, if you've editted search.ini before, your last entry may be different. I've removed many searches and added several different ones to my file, so before adding Smogon Dex, I actually had 30 searches instead of the 32 default ones, with my last one being Mininova.org.

Whatever the case, you need to add the Smogon Dex search to the end of the file. If you have the default search.ini, simply add this to the end of the file:

[Search Engine 33]
Name=&Smogon Dex
URL=http://www.smogon.com/dyn/jump?q=%s
Query=
Key=dex
Is post=0
Has endseparator=0
Encoding=utf-8
Search Type=0
Verbtext=17063
Position=-1
Nameid=0

If you've editted search.ini before, simply add that and change the 33 after Search Engine to whatever your next search engine number would be (in my case, since I had 30 searches before, Smogon Dex was Search Engine 31.)

The things in bold above are things you can change to whatever you want.

The "Name" field is simply what the search is called, and what text is displayed by default in the search field when you select that search.

The "Key" field is what key word you can use to access that search in address bars. As an example, by default you can type "g <whatever>" any where you can type a page address in Opera to have the browser automatically search for <whatever> at Google.com. If you use my default Key as above, for instance, you can press F2, then type in the dialog box that pops up "dex gsc: tyranitar" to bring up the GSC Tyranitar Smogon Dex page in a new tab.

Now that you've added Smogon Dex to your search.ini, it can also be accessed through the normal search bar which is defaultly displayed (I believe, as I don't use it) in Opera. If you have it turned off, but want to use it, it can be found in Tools > Appearance. Go to the "Buttons" tab, then click on "Search". It should be the last button on the far right. If you later want to remove it, simply right click on it and click "Remove from toolbar".

One last note: I believe when Opera updates, it always replaces your search.ini file with the default search.ini. Therefore, I would always back up your editted search.ini file somewhere outside the Opera folder so you can simply replace it after Opera finishes updating.

Thank you and I hope this helps! If you have any questions feel free to ask. I look forward to becoming part of the community here. :)

im totally lost because i dont know what the heck opera is but this is supposed to be funny right

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
Steggy, that was quite informative to me and I wrote the dex :( I have Opera, but I don't mess around with it much because... well I don't like it. No offense! Is there anyway to automate this process through a plugin or such so I could put something else besides directions on the Search plugin page?

and yes, that's an excellent first post. Welcome to the community.

Thank you all for the kind comments. :)

chaos said:
Is there anyway to automate this process through a plugin or such so I could put something else besides directions on the Search plugin page?
Well, the stand-alone search field is just a special type of hyperlink Opera recognizes to add buttons to the browser. It's just otherwise regular HTML that could be added to a page:

HTML:
<a href="opera:/edit/Search,%22http://www.smogon.com/dyn/jump?q=%s%22" title="Smogon Dex">Smogon Dex</a>
As far as I know, it works just like a regular hyperlink, and anything you can do with those, you can do with that one.

As for adding the Smogon Dex as a regular search engine in Opera, sadly, no, there is nothing to simplify the process. You can put my instructions up if you wish, but unfortunately Opera doesn't offer any other way to add to the built-in searches.

Things like that are certainly going to keep to keep a lot of people off the browser. Accessibility is one thing that the vast majority of people want, which is obviously why Internet Explorer continues to be the biggest browser out there. If Opera ever does add a plugin-like feature to add searches, I'll be sure to come up with one for the Smogon Dex as well, of course.

Thank you again.:)

The.Lost.Hylian

Conquer your Shadow
is a Researcher Alumnus
I used to use Opera, it pissed me off, I was shown the light of Firefox, though if this had come up 2 months ago, I would have greatly appreciated it.

Nice job anyways :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)